What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (4 Viewers)

Nice solid signing by the B’s in Craig Smith...quality player at an affordable price...lot of the locals had been advocating for him:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/10/10/bruins-sign-potential-steal-in-former-predators-forward-craig-smith/

Hearing some rumors B’s may make a run at Petro (seems like the pundits feel Vegas is the front-runner)...that would be a monster move...they seem to be in on Hall as well but it seems like 75% of the NHL also is...if the B's got Hall after signing Smith gotta believe DeBrusk would probably be on the move in that scenario.
I think the Lightning series showed just how much they need to be tougher to play against in their own end.

Depending on whether Chara re-signs, they would be pretty green on the LD with Grizz, Zboril and Vaakanainen (aside from the overpaid corpse of John Moore) ... but maybe it's time for them to see what Vaak and/or Zboril can do with regular-ish playing time. And then spend for offense up front with one more potential top-six F (Toffoli?)

Would hate to see DeBrusk go, but if it can help them shore up that left-side D a little bit, that would work.

Congrats Cappy, no question in my mind TB best team this year. Will be tough to dethrone going forward also 

Congrats Capella!
Thanks to everybody for the congrats. I just got out of the sin bin here, but oddly I could stay logged in and like posts? Weird. It was a super fun final and I got hammered the night they won. Didn’t go to any of the outside lunatic parties but we drove to the arena the next day and took some photos to commemorate it. Very cool experience. Go Bolts, what a blast. Something I’ll never forget. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everybody for the congrats. I just got out of the sin bin here, but oddly I could stay logged in and like posts? Weird. It was a super fun final and I got hammered the night they won. Didn’t go to any of the outside lunatic parties but we drove to the arena the next day and took some photos to commemorate it. Very cool experience. Go Bolts, what a blast. Something I’ll never forget. 
:thumbup:

I AM SO HAPPY!#!#!
He’s not good anymore though. Plus hurt most of the time. 
My two favourite junior players of the last 15 years are Bogosian and Nick Robertson, going to be really cool to watch them both play for my favourite NHL team if the season happens.

And Bogosian was good enough to play most nights as #6/#7 in Tampa in the playoffs. If Toronto gets to that point and he can play a similar role, the small one year deal is more than worth it.

I think the Lightning series showed just how much they need to be tougher to play against in their own end.

Depending on whether Chara re-signs, they would be pretty green on the LD with Grizz, Zboril and Vaakanainen (aside from the overpaid corpse of John Moore) ... but maybe it's time for them to see what Vaak and/or Zboril can do with regular-ish playing time. And then spend for offense up front with one more potential top-six F (Toffoli?)

Would hate to see DeBrusk go, but if it can help them shore up that left-side D a little bit, that would work.
Zboril has the feel of one of those old school guys who plays their whole career in the minor leagues...been waiting on him for quite sometime...Moore has really been a non-factor and his contract is a big dud...DeBrusk is such a tough call because we still don't really know what his upside is (or how much he's looking for)...when he is on he looks like the real deal but there are other times he looks very ordinary...would hate to lose him and then he figures it out like a Blake Wheeler but on the flipside I would hate to give him real money and he doesn't get to the next level...if they were to get Hall then you gotta believe he's a goner but who knows how much of a chance there is with regard to that...as for Chara I would be shocked if he doesn't come back for one more year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vegas sure has had pretty much everything break their way since coming into the league. If there is no pandemic Petro is a lot more expensive or maybe doesn’t even hit the market. He would probably have a lot more options, too. What a steal of a signing he will be (if the rumored 8.25 is correct). I just can’t believe we let such an elite player walk and at that affordable cost. 

Vegas sure has had pretty much everything break their way since coming into the league. If there is no pandemic Petro is a lot more expensive or maybe doesn’t even hit the market. He would probably have a lot more options, too. What a steal of a signing he will be (if the rumored 8.25 is correct). I just can’t believe we let such an elite player walk and at that affordable cost. 
Can’t really blame the pandemic on this when Doug decided to extend Faulk and ignore Pietrangelo. Also, the pandemic is probably hurting Vegas more than anything (ie Fleury and the inability to trade him without getting completely sexually assaulted.) 

r0llin_game said:
Can’t really blame the pandemic on this when Doug decided to extend Faulk and ignore Pietrangelo. Also, the pandemic is probably hurting Vegas more than anything (ie Fleury and the inability to trade him without getting completely sexually assaulted.) 
I can and I will. Petro is going to come cheap and without much competition for his services. I don’t care about them not being able to offload Fleury. Clearly it doesn’t matter. 

I don’t know what the heck happened between Doug and Petro, but clearly the relationship wasn’t very good. I’m still shocked the Blues let him go without much of a fight. 

I can and I will. Petro is going to come cheap and without much competition for his services. I don’t care about them not being able to offload Fleury. Clearly it doesn’t matter. 

I don’t know what the heck happened between Doug and Petro, but clearly the relationship wasn’t very good. I’m still shocked the Blues let him go without much of a fight. 
They offered a deal that was more than fair. He turned it down.  What more were they supposed to do?

They offered a deal that was more than fair. He turned it down.  What more were they supposed to do?
Well, surely they could have afforded to give him 8.25/year for 8 years which would have been a better contract than anyone else could give him. Even the rumored 8x8 would have been better. So again, I am not sure what happened, but it seems like it was pretty personal and I would guess DA was not willing to give some sort of bonus structure or some nonsense which in reality should be very doable. When they couldn't agree to that he moved on. It certainly seems like it would have been worth the investment, at least in my opinion - because this team's cup window is closed now. You win cups with elite players. We have very few and the ones we do (did) have are (were) not the top of the elite class. Take one away and now its even more difficult. They will be a pretty good team for a while longer and keep most of my winter nights entertained which is all I really want out of sports these days so bully for me.

I'm just really shocked that this is the way we treated the first captain to raise a Cup for the franchise, and just barely over a calendar year later. It's just business, sure, but damn. It sure doesn't sit right with me.

Well, surely they could have afforded to give him 8.25/year for 8 years which would have been a better contract than anyone else could give him. Even the rumored 8x8 would have been better. So again, I am not sure what happened, but it seems like it was pretty personal and I would guess DA was not willing to give some sort of bonus structure or some nonsense which in reality should be very doable. When they couldn't agree to that he moved on. It certainly seems like it would have been worth the investment, at least in my opinion - because this team's cup window is closed now. You win cups with elite players. We have very few and the ones we do (did) have are (were) not the top of the elite class. Take one away and now its even more difficult. They will be a pretty good team for a while longer and keep most of my winter nights entertained which is all I really want out of sports these days so bully for me.

I'm just really shocked that this is the way we treated the first captain to raise a Cup for the franchise, and just barely over a calendar year later. It's just business, sure, but damn. It sure doesn't sit right with me.
Too many years and too much money for a guy who is almost 31, IMO (and I know some do not agree).  It is a bummer, yes, especially since it is so soon after the hoisting of the Cup, but you can't overpay aging players for past play or successes.  A GM's job is to keep the team winning, not throwing money at the captain as a way of saying thank you for being the C on the first Blues team to win the Cup. Don't get me wrong, I wish they could have found a way to keep him, but I think Petro's demands were unreasonable, especially wanting a no movement clause which the franchise has never given to anyone.  All that said, it is likely I will want to hurl the next time I see them on the ice and realize that Faulk is still on the team and Petro is not.  But I am good with how Armstrong handled this.

Too many years and too much money for a guy who is almost 31, IMO (and I know some do not agree).  It is a bummer, yes, especially since it is so soon after the hoisting of the Cup, but you can't overpay aging players for past play or successes.  A GM's job is to keep the team winning, not throwing money at the captain as a way of saying thank you for being the C on the first Blues team to win the Cup. Don't get me wrong, I wish they could have found a way to keep him, but I think Petro's demands were unreasonable, especially wanting a no movement clause which the franchise has never given to anyone.  All that said, it is likely I will want to hurl the next time I see them on the ice and realize that Faulk is still on the team and Petro is not.  But I am good with how Armstrong handled this.
I'm no hockey expert. That's why I subscribe to Brasky postings. That said, if I had to make a bet I would surely think Alex Pietrangelo is going to give you 8 million dollars worth of hockey for longer than Krug will give you 6.5 million dollars worth of hockey. We used to be known for having a giant and stout defense. Now we are littered with short guys, who aren't very fast, and don't really play defense all that well.

Plus, let's say he does trail off in 4 years or whatever. Well, so will the rest of the team. There is no way that this roster isn't a dumpster fire as all these guys on long contracts hit the back half of them. I just assumed DA was building this team to win over the next few years before tossing in the towel, but not re-signing your best defenseman sure puts a damper on that plan.

Perhaps I will be wrong and this team will bulldoze the central and then slip by a Vegas team with a better defense than us now. I would love to be wrong.

The thing with Pietrangelo I heard and STL was that he asked about the structure of the contract and they didn’t have a structure to give him. 

I'm no hockey expert. That's why I subscribe to Brasky postings. That said, if I had to make a bet I would surely think Alex Pietrangelo is going to give you 8 million dollars worth of hockey for longer than Krug will give you 6.5 million dollars worth of hockey. We used to be known for having a giant and stout defense. Now we are littered with short guys, who aren't very fast, and don't really play defense all that well.

Plus, let's say he does trail off in 4 years or whatever. Well, so will the rest of the team. There is no way that this roster isn't a dumpster fire as all these guys on long contracts hit the back half of them. I just assumed DA was building this team to win over the next few years before tossing in the towel, but not re-signing your best defenseman sure puts a damper on that plan.

Perhaps I will be wrong and this team will bulldoze the central and then slip by a Vegas team with a better defense than us now. I would love to be wrong.
That's not gonna help. :lol: :P

Jokes aside, we can agree to disagree on this.  I am much more concerned right now with Tarasenko's healthy and how Binnington will bounce back after he crapped the bed in the bubble, so maybe I am a distracted fan at the moment. :cool:

um, they gave Krug no move years 1-5 and modified no move years 6-7.  

good thing he’s one year younger though, you wouldn’t want to give that nearly same deal to an actual #1 D man.

Bruins top-9 looks pretty deadly these days.

Are they a net better or worse now that they lost Krug?
Hard to say whether it’s better or worse, but they definitely will be different. As I mentioned above, they probably reshape their PP minus Krug unless someone like Grzelcyk steps into that role (I just don’t see McAvoy as the same type of player).

But the Tampa series showed just how much they need to a.) be tougher in their own end; and b.) rely less on the power play for scoring.

That’s why I love the Smith signing ... analytically he was one of the best 5v5 players in the entire league last season. If they get Kase going next season they’ll look pretty good down the right side along with Pastrnak.

I have to wonder what they still have left with $11M and still needing to sign Grzelcyk (arbitration) and DeBrusk ... and Chara (???) That probably takes them out of the running for any big moves, barring moving anyone else out.

Now that Pietrangelo is signed, what happens if Vegas can't offload salary? Looks like they need to dump $2.1 million before tomorrow just to get to the 10% offseason overage threshold.

I think it is interesting how quickly Tampa snapped Maroon back up. I called that one, though, he was just what they needed.
I am still baffled as to why Armstrong had no interest in bringing him back last year.  He was cheap as hell, a local hero (Game 7 vs Dallas!!), and a great fit on the team.  Great character to have on your team.  I just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread