What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wireless home theater system (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
checking into this - anyone purchase or do research lately.......my bose system from the 90s officially died.....looking to get new system and rip out y old receiver and all the wires for a wireless system.  I see some pretty cheap options like Vizio but they are not true wireless as speakers need to be plugged in....hoping to keep costs down but interested in best options for sound, true wireless, linking in with bluetooth phone/headphones, etc...looked into using apple home pods but doesnt seem to be an option.....thx for any info!  

I would appreciate info on this as well.  Have an Onkyo system..The speakers all require wire and my damn cats like to chew through the wires.  I remember looking a few years ago and was not impressed..Has the tech improved yet? 

Last edited by a moderator:
checking into this - anyone purchase or do research lately.......my bose system from the 90s officially died.....looking to get new system and rip out y old receiver and all the wires for a wireless system.  I see some pretty cheap options like Vizio but they are not true wireless as speakers need to be plugged in....hoping to keep costs down but interested in best options for sound, true wireless, linking in with bluetooth phone/headphones, etc...looked into using apple home pods but doesnt seem to be an option.....thx for any info!  
Sonos...haven't looked in about a year, but their quality and flexibility with set up was light years beyond anyone else at the time.

I have a Sonos playbar and sub
Like it?  My BIL's setup is pretty sweet...his entire house runs off a box in his closet.  And the rooms adapt, so if he's in his living room watching a movie, the speakers play a certain way.  If he turns on music in that room for a party some of the speakers turn off and the others adapt to be more for music and less for theater.  It's pretty slick.

True wireless systems don't actually exist (unless I've completely missed something).  Speakers need power to drive sound and that is either supplied from the amplifier via the speaker wire, a direct power cord, or via recharging if you are talking about a portable speaker.

Wireless systems aren't my specialty so I can't recommend much, but saw your concern with the Visio system above and wanted to put in my 2 cents there.

True wireless systems don't actually exist (unless I've completely missed something).  Speakers need power to drive sound and that is either supplied from the amplifier via the speaker wire, a direct power cord, or via recharging if you are talking about a portable speaker.

Wireless systems aren't my specialty so I can't recommend much, but saw your concern with the Visio system above and wanted to put in my 2 cents there.
Ok that sounds pretty much like what I remember when I looked at it before..Thank you!

Just ordered this one mainly because we have a 65" Vizio P Quantum and hope we only need one remote. (I know, dumb reason).  It gets here on Thursday - will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JDMBK2N/ref=dp_cr_wdg_tit_nw_mr
a review would be great-  im looking at the same one....I liked the review and price but hesitated due to having to plug in speakers still....but that seems like thats the norm.....

Sonos is definitely the best but at this time cant afford that kind of $ when there are decent options for half the price....

Just ordered this one mainly because we have a 65" Vizio P Quantum and hope we only need one remote. (I know, dumb reason).  It gets here on Thursday - will report back.

a review would be great-  im looking at the same one....I liked the review and price but hesitated due to having to plug in speakers still....but that seems like thats the norm.....

Sonos is definitely the best but at this time cant afford that kind of $ when there are decent options for half the price....
i have an older model (with a sharp tv).  Very nice sound and streaming.  I do not love the app. The rear speakers attach to the sub and are generally discrete. For sound, I have paired it with my tv and can use my directv remote control for it.  It has its own remote that I use for other features.

A couple of friends have sonos.  Very user friendly, good sound. App is seamless.

edit:  this one...   VIZIO SB4051-D5

Got it yesterday and hooked it up.  I was pretty impressed.  Played a few scenes from  4K Jurassic Park and the latest Jurassic World and it sounded like a much "bigger" system.  The rain was all around us in the T-Rex scene.  I'm coming from a pretty decent setup from our old house (where we had a bonus/media room with Yamaha RX-V681 pushing to 7 speakers (two of them Atmos - now in a townhouse) and I'm impressed for the money.   I bought from Amazon - a renewed version for $250.  A steal for what I got.  And it was in perfect condition.  Looks like it may have been a damaged box.  For the money I don't see any drawback if you need a small space system that "blends" in.

Oh, and I saw this yesterday on Slickdeals:
$300 at Best Buy

and here is a pretty positive review from rtings.com

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/vizio/sb36512-f6#:~:targetText=The Vizio SB36512-F6 is,a bit of extra bass

Klipsch has a wireless system now.  It does have some limitation in that it requires either a LG OLED Tv  or an Xbox one to send send the signal to the little disk thing.  But the speakers are nice and can fill a rather large room.  I have been looking into these myself as I have a projector in the living room and no good way to run cabling around.  The speakers do require power however, which is going to the case for any powered speaker. 

https://www.klipsch.com/reference-wireless

Got it yesterday and hooked it up.  I was pretty impressed.  Played a few scenes from  4K Jurassic Park and the latest Jurassic World and it sounded like a much "bigger" system.  The rain was all around us in the T-Rex scene.  I'm coming from a pretty decent setup from our old house (where we had a bonus/media room with Yamaha RX-V681 pushing to 7 speakers (two of them Atmos - now in a townhouse) and I'm impressed for the money.   I bought from Amazon - a renewed version for $250.  A steal for what I got.  And it was in perfect condition.  Looks like it may have been a damaged box.  For the money I don't see any drawback if you need a small space system that "blends" in.

Oh, and I saw this yesterday on Slickdeals:
$300 at Best Buy

and here is a pretty positive review from rtings.com

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/vizio/sb36512-f6#:~:targetText=The Vizio SB36512-F6 is,a bit of extra bass
Thx man!!  

How is it to hook up - Ive read its not "wireless" so want to see what needs to be plugged and where.....do you need a receiver to connnect or is it all good as is....thx again - very interested in this one!  great price and ive had good experience with Vizio

Thx man!!  

How is it to hook up - Ive read its not "wireless" so want to see what needs to be plugged and where.....do you need a receiver to connnect or is it all good as is....thx again - very interested in this one!  great price and ive had good experience with Vizio

The Sub is plugged into the wall behind our couch and yes there are wires that power the two "surround sound" speakers.  The Sub was already connected wirelessly to the sound bar - I didn't have to "pair" them or anything.  Really simple setup - no receiver needed and I was impressed with the bass - really too much for our smaller place now.  Remote is a bit laggy, but the TV remote controls the sound, so don't really need the sound bar remote except to turn it on... Sound bar I put under the TV with these Mounting Dream

Also, I've read that Costco is going to have this one for $299 on November 22nd, Best Buy just has it now.

GL

Thx man!!  

The Sub is plugged into the wall behind our couch and yes there are wires that power the two "surround sound" speakers.  The Sub was already connected wirelessly to the sound bar - I didn't have to "pair" them or anything.  Really simple setup - no receiver needed and I was impressed with the bass - really too much for our smaller place now.  Remote is a bit laggy, but the TV remote controls the sound, so don't really need the sound bar remote except to turn it on... Sound bar I put under the TV with these Mounting Dream

Also, I've read that Costco is going to have this one for $299 on November 22nd, Best Buy just has it now.

GL
I have this same system, I hope your experience is better than mine. First one I got didn’t work. This was a major hassle, hours spent trying to figure out why, support had me hook up ps4 to try to isolate problem, wouldn’t work with anything. So had to pack it up and go wait in line at ups to send back. The whole thing was aggravating. 

The replacement they sent me worked immediately. But when you change from cable to streaming I lose sound, so have to grab the crappy soundbar remote and cycle through all the inputs to go back to HDMI ARC to get sound on streaming. With HDMI ARC-as I understand it-sound should reflect input automatically. But it doesn’t, until you cycle through all the inputs. It may not sound like a big deal but it kind of is annoying over time. 

It also, on occasion, makes an annoying “clicking sound”, as if the sound is cutting on and off instantaneously.

I guess you get what you pay for. I wish I had paid a little more for something better. Though the sound itself is fine, decent surround, bass, etc. I guess. Maybe I just got another bum unit. Wife wants me to hook back up our previous sound system a 5.2 home theater receiver/wired sub and speakers. I had switched to the Vizio to get rid of all the wires we had around LR.

eta: another annoying issue I forgot, sound on cable never matches lips of speaker on TV.  So back to remote; there’s an “A/V delay” setting so have to go to that and hit +/- to try and sync dialogue. Almost every single time, sometimes after show goes to commercial have to do it again. This doesn’t happen when streaming for some reason. And of course, remote is cheap and not backlit so have to turn lights on every time you use it at night.

For the Vizio crowd:

To prevent "pairing" issues between sub (and rear speakers) to the main soundbar, turn off the eco mode via the remote. If it is on it can automatically turn it off when not in use.

still agonizing - really want to have true wireless system like sonos but just cant justify the price.....the vizio for the price seems to be the best deal but just not thrilled with having to plug in and connect speaker wire to the sub....how the heck do they advertise that as a wireless system lol!  Also I am putting in a PS4 which scares me from what ive read and we are a big apple family so wondering how it works with apple music, apple TV etc....lastly can you listen to the Vizio system with bluetooth headphones?  house is small and dont want to wake up the fam late pm!

thx fellas!  

Your current system, its wires, are they completely hidden? If they are not hidden, and that's your wireless motivation, first thing I'd do would be to at least try to keep them and find a way to completely hide them before going wireless. At least try bro. Congrats on the new system and PS4 by the way. Something else I'd consider would be to find what you want and wait until the day after Christmas to buy. I've always wanted an excuse to try and haggle a big electronics purchase on December 26th.

still agonizing - really want to have true wireless system like sonos but just cant justify the price.....the vizio for the price seems to be the best deal but just not thrilled with having to plug in and connect speaker wire to the sub....how the heck do they advertise that as a wireless system lol!  Also I am putting in a PS4 which scares me from what ive read and we are a big apple family so wondering how it works with apple music, apple TV etc....lastly can you listen to the Vizio system with bluetooth headphones?  house is small and dont want to wake up the fam late pm!

thx fellas!  
Well, as defined above, sonos isn't even "wireless"...the speakers need power.  I can't think of a way you'd ever have convenient "true wireless"....changing/recharging batteries would be a PITA in my opinion.  

current system does have wires running under the floor and wall - but currently doesnt work and is mostly hidden.....however behind my stand in front of the TV its like the matrix with all the wires lol.....I'd like to get rid of the subwoofer/receiver and all the speaker wires....plugging in the speakers for an outlet doesnt bother me at all......the Vizio seems like there is still speaker wires but just not as much so definitely an improvement....

Wife gave the nod to take Sonos review to next level.....anyone have experience with that?  basic 5.1 model with speaker bar (beam), sub and 2 surround speakers.....reviews seem pretty good....how does it sound...set up esp with apple tv/ps$ and does it work with bluetooth headphones.....

I had a big 5.1 setup with wires hidden in walls and it sounded incredible.   Loved it and miss it.  

After we moved into a new house a few years ago, I set up a sonos playbar and sub so that my wife and daughter could use the system easily.  It's not as great as my old system but it sounds really good and is simple to use.  

When I finish the basement again in a year or two, I'm going to put in a great sound system for movies.   Sonos is great for living rooms because it doesn't take over the room and sounds great but it is not a true home theater system.  

Splurged for the sonos...beam bar, sub and 2 surround spkrs....plugged it into my vizio tv with a regular hdmi...i was able to connect to my phone and apple tv without problem but PS4 and direct tv not connecting at all....any suggestions?  Do i need an optical cable?  None was included and i figured all would be included

I had a big 5.1 setup with wires hidden in walls and it sounded incredible.   Loved it and miss it.  

After we moved into a new house a few years ago, I set up a sonos playbar and sub so that my wife and daughter could use the system easily.  It's not as great as my old system but it sounds really good and is simple to use.  

When I finish the basement again in a year or two, I'm going to put in a great sound system for movies.   Sonos is great for living rooms because it doesn't take over the room and sounds great but it is not a true home theater system.  
Yeah I'd have a tough time giving up my 7.1 with floor speakers

Users who are viewing this thread