What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ring Doorbell vs. Arlo Doorbell (1 Viewer)

The Flying Turtle

Footballguy
If anybody is considering a new doorbell for a Christmas present do not buy the Arlo.

Last year we bought an Arlo doorbell because we already have the Arlo camera system.  Since it uses the existing camera the price was under $100 which was much less than the Ring.  Plus it would all be connected and simplify my life.

Unfortunately the thing is a piece of junk.  It takes anywhere from 10-30 seconds to connect, the volume is so quiet the person at the door can't even hear you and most importantly it rarely connects to the camera.  Since this is made by Netgear the repeated attempts to fix it using the online support have been fruitless. 

This week I decided to buy a Ring doorbell since it was on sale at Costco and give it a try.  I installed it last night and am amazed at how much better the performance is that the Arlo.  The connection takes less than 5 seconds and the volume and video are much clear.

We've been sort of happy with our Ring doorbell but there's a lot of privacy concerns with them.  A third option might be the better play...(Google something?)

Recently got the Ring doorbell/Echo Show 5 deal and have been very happy with it. It's very easy to tweak the motion alert settings and the video is crystal clear on the Echo Show and my phone.

I read about the recent hackings of the Ring cameras and it appears it was due to people using the same password for everything. A hacker first got the password from something else, then signed into Ring. For my Ring I use a totally independent password and have enabled two-factor authentication. I know nothing is 100% safe in the tech world, but I'm ok with it. Would recommend.

I use a Wyze cam as my front door camera. $20 and it’s awesome. I have it mounted in an alcove in the corner facing my front door. Example

ETA: Just needs power and WiFi (2.4 GHZ)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone see the AI doc on PBS last night? Frightening. This stuff is cool but your privacy is at risk. Blew me away to see a hacker talking to young children while mom's at work. 

Anyone see the AI doc on PBS last night? Frightening. This stuff is cool but your privacy is at risk. Blew me away to see a hacker talking to young children while mom's at work. 
The mom needs a security system so she can watch her kids at home from her phone and tell them not to talk to the person who hacked into their system.

I don't have any of this stuff. Having my credit card hacked several times is more than enough stress. I can understand my parents not doing anything online like shop. I think it's cute seeing seniors in stores looking through flyers the old fashion way.

And 99.9% of the time it's the idiot homeowner's poor security to blame not Ring/Google/Etc. They just had this on the news and Ring's statement was they did not gain access through our systems...ie the owner is an idiot and can't secure their network.

And 99.9% of the time it's the idiot homeowner's poor security to blame not Ring/Google/Etc. They just had this on the news and Ring's statement was they did not gain access through our systems...ie the owner is an idiot and can't secure their network.
Of course they'd say that. How many times has hacking not been the person's fault? It's not always the case. Anything can be hacked no matter how well you've secured your system.

And you're worried about your privacy with Ring?
People are up in arms with the Neighborhood feature and the fact they give access to law enforcement....never mind the only way anyone has access to your clips is if you actually post them.

I have 3 large dogs that lose their mind when someone rings the doorbell. This is the perfect solution so they stay calm and I can see who is there without needing to open the door.
Get a new doorbell??  Maybe one that isnt just a loud ding dong?  Do they make those??

Get a new doorbell??  Maybe one that isnt just a loud ding dong?  Do they make those??
Nope, we had an electronic one where we could change the tune. One time is all it takes for them to learn what it means. Now no sound when the button is pressed.

People are up in arms with the Neighborhood feature and the fact they give access to law enforcement....never mind the only way anyone has access to your clips is if you actually post them.
Yea I've heard, I have one and find the Neighborhood feature helpful. We have roving bands of young toughs about that like to break into cars.

As with any technology, there is a portion of the population that participates in it that don't understand it. Anything digital can be found out, just depends how bad someone wants to know something about you. On a scale of petty thief.........government tracking, you can take pretty easy precautions to eliminate or thwart the threat from most of the generic hacks. When you start getting into the government realm, your chances of keeping them out of your business decrease to about zero unless you completely unplug and live in a yurt on a mountain top.

Recently got the Ring doorbell/Echo Show 5 deal and have been very happy with it. It's very easy to tweak the motion alert settings and the video is crystal clear on the Echo Show and my phone.

I read about the recent hackings of the Ring cameras and it appears it was due to people using the same password for everything. A hacker first got the password from something else, then signed into Ring. For my Ring I use a totally independent password and have enabled two-factor authentication. I know nothing is 100% safe in the tech world, but I'm ok with it. Would recommend.
Can you (or others) comment on the motion alert aspect?  We're considering a Ring doorbell, but our front door is maybe 20 feet from a frequently used residential sidewalk.  Is that a possible issue?

Can you (or others) comment on the motion alert aspect?  We're considering a Ring doorbell, but our front door is maybe 20 feet from a frequently used residential sidewalk.  Is that a possible issue?
It has a motion wizard where you will tell it how much traffic you get and how far away it is. If that doesn't help you can scroll where you want the motion zone to be. You can also create a schedule for when you want motion settings to be working but I haven't needed to do that.

As our esteemed philosopher states, it's pretty easy to set up. We live on a cul-de-sac that gets a fair amount of traffic and have it dialed in so that we exclude road traffic but pick up when a car is in our driveway. It's not perfect but you can play with it and come to a happy medium.

And if it's too much for you just ask one of your kids :D

As our esteemed philosopher states, it's pretty easy to set up. We live on a cul-de-sac that gets a fair amount of traffic and have it dialed in so that we exclude road traffic but pick up when a car is in our driveway. It's not perfect but you can play with it and come to a happy medium.

And if it's too much for you just ask one of your kids :D
You're doing it wrong.   :D

Just purchased a home a couple months ago and previous owners left a Ring doorbell. I reset it and obviously created a new password. Works great for me. I don’t answer the door anyway, but I can see who is at the door via phone or TV. 

Users who are viewing this thread