What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where You Currently Live vs Where You Grew Up? (1 Viewer)

How Far Away Do You Live vs Where You Grew Up/Graduated From High School?

• I live in the exact same city/town where I graduated high school. Hell, my kids attend the same sc

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 25 miles or less from where I graduated high school. I'm in the vicinity.

Votes: 80 25.6%
  • I live 50 miles or less from where I graduated high school. It's a short drive away, but I'm blazi

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • I live 100 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Bit of a hassle to drive back home but

Votes: 38 12.2%
  • I live 500 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Much longer drive and sometimes I'll f

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • I live 1000 miles or less from where I graduated high school. Getting back home is a chore!

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • I live OVER 1000 miles away from where I graduated high school. "and I ran, I ran so far away....."

Votes: 67 21.5%

• Total voters
grew up in LA.  farthest away i ever got was phoenix.  unless you count the 2-3 month at a time trips to the the usvi, over a 2 year period.

now i'm in south OC.

Grew up in a small college town. No extended family anywhere nearby and almost all of my friends split town either after high school or for those that also went to college there (like me) after that. I now live > 100 miles away and only visit (parents and brother's family are about all that's left there) for christmas. 

I've lived around Cleveland for 13 years,  many of my friends from high school and college live around here too, and my now wife's entire extended family is here. We're here for the long haul. I don't have animosity towards where I grew up. Rural Ohio just isn't for me. 

Grew up in Michigan, went to college in Virginia, moved to Florida at the first opportunity. I was tired of the gray skies for literally half of the year, plus I finished college right at the beginning of the Great Recession, which kicked Michigan's teeth in.

Live just over the 500 mile threshold.  When I go back to Michigan I almost always drive as flights are just too damn expensive, but it's about an 8 hour or so trip.  Live in Northern Virginia now.
Another Michigan childhood. 

Left shortly after college, moved around for 20 years, settled in Alabama. (Just under a 10 hour drive)

I've driven back a few times but most likely won't be going again in this lifetime. Maybe for a funeral, but my parents left a couple years ago. (I'm really not sure if we'll bury our parents there, they both grew up in Michigan too). We have a couple good friends up there still but no real reason or desire to go back. 

Our current place is so much better than suburban Detroit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Michigan childhood. 

Left shortly after college, moved around for 20 years, settled in Alabama. 

I've driven back a few times but most likely won't be going again in this lifetime. Maybe for a funeral, but my parents left a couple years ago. (I'm really not sure if we'll bury our parents there, they both grew up in Michigan too). We have a couple good friends up there still but no real reason or desire to go back. 

Our current place is so much better than suburban Detroit. 
I have some extended family in Michigan, but the ones that still talk to me and my parents visit fairly regularly. My entire immediate family(including patents in law) all live here within 3 hours, and I was the first one to actually move here. I still follow Lions football, but that's pretty much my only tie to Michigan outside of family. I consider Florida my home now.

I have some extended family in Michigan, but the ones that still talk to me and my parents visit fairly regularly. My entire immediate family(including patents in law) all live here within 3 hours, and I was the first one to actually move here. I still follow Lions football, but that's pretty much my only tie to Michigan outside of family. I consider Florida my home now.
Masochist. 

Born in raised in CT, now live in the Inland Empire of CA.

Went to school four hours from home and after that, worked in D.C. for about five years.

D.C. is my second home, like gianmarco's New Orleans. It's there whether I want it or not.

Grew up in Costa Mesa, CA.  Suburbia.  Bounced around a bit after college, settled back "home".  Met my now-wife and then spent 6 years in Austin, TX.  Thought it was going to be our forever home but ended up, due to not being able to find work in my industry, going to the Twin Cities for 2 years.  Then got my old job back in SoCal... so came "home" and settled in the city directly next to Costa Mesa:  Huntington Beach.  Still here.

live now in a suburb of the town i spent my childhood in. only for the last 2 years. 13 prior to that was spent in my hometown. 

but only because i met my now wife and she wanted to live here. we moved a 3 minute drive from her parents house. our kids go to the schools she went to.

if it were 100% up to her and not just 98% we would have bought a pile of #### house 3 doors down from her folks. had to put my foot down on that one. we're close enough. 

only thing i'd miss about not living here is Packers home games. everything else can get bent.

Whittier

Huntington beach

San Diego 

Burbank

Huntington beach 

Long beach 

Huntington beach 

Laguna hills

Mission Viejo 

Boise

I went to high school in three cities, so chose 1000 miles. 

I was born on the Texas coast and moved about 200 miles to go to school in Austin. That was forty years ago.  :oldunsure:

Might retire in Vegas, might not. As you may have gathered, I don't much care for moving.

Born in Seattle and lived there for my first 26 years.

I then moved 800 miles away to Salt Lake City for a pediatric residency and have now lived here for 26 years. 

I love many things about both regions but probably won’t retire in either. 

Grew up in a small Ohio town (<1000 people, one stoplight), went to college in Southern California, currently live in Texas. 

I got a job in the Bay Area out of college and then met my future wife while I was in Texas for work. Moved to Texas in 2000 and have been here ever since. 

Will be moving to Florida next year after quitting our jobs. Maybe retirement, maybe not. 

I grew up in a small Southern Illinois town.  After college I got a job in Alabama, then nine months later I moved to SW Louisiana.  First person I met became my wife.  Been here 31 years and I doubt we ever move.  She's got all her family here.

I prefer the term "loyal to a fault," really. At least in hockey, I follow the Lightning now.
I'll always cheer for the wings, although I don't follow hockey nearly as much as I used to.  But I've transitioned to the Titans years ago, I liked them with McNair and Eddie, then we moved to Fort Campbell for 3 years. Never went back to the Lions although I would cheer for them over any other team. 

My dad graduated from Michigan, we're really looking forward to the citrus bowl, possibly more than the BCS in previous years. 

Grew up in an east side Cleveland, Ohio suburb...went to college in Ft. Worth, Texas...bounced around a few different suburbs of CLE after college.  Lived about 1/2 mile from the house I grew up in for 3.5 years after getting married then settled about 15 miles from where I grew up.  Been here now for about 17 years.

I grew up in Connecticut and at age 23 I moved to the Arizona desert. I was following a girl out here but that did not work out. It was a nice clean slate where no one knew me so I stayed. I do love it here and while I do wish I could see my family more I don't really see myself moving back to New England. I have now lived in the desert for longer than I lived where I grew up.

That was a fun move. I put everything I owned which was not a lot into a pickup and headed west. 

Live 12 miles from where I went to high school.

I have something that I think is kind of unique and interesting - I work in downtown Atlanta on the 13th floor of our building.  From my desk I can see the hospital where I was born and the place where I graduated college (GT) - both are less than a mile away.
Fun Fact: Charles Manson died in the same hospital where I was born.

It's great not having to buy airline tickets this time of the year. Unless of course I really want to get away from my family.

Grew up in Milwaukee.  Didn't like the winters and wanted to spend my 20s living somewhere more exciting.  Moved to San Francisco two weeks after graduating from Wisconsin and never looked back. 

SF was more affordable then and I married one of the unicorn residents who was born and raised here.  It's tough for SF kids nowadays because most can't afford to live where they grew up. 

I still make it back to Wisconsin almost every year.  It's a nice place to be from but I wouldn't live there again.

Grew up in San Francisco.

College in San Diego. 

Grad school back in San Francisco.

Moved to the Colorado Rockies for about 10 years.

Moved back to Sonoma County about 8-9 years ago.

I'd wager to guess I live closest to where I grew up.  I live one street over from my childhood home, and can see the roof from my bedroom window.  Kids go to the same high school I went to (they rebuilt it, so it is a different building with the same name).

Would do it all over again, but plan to move to a different suburb when the kids are in college.
You win.

I Google Earthed the straight line between my current house and the one I grew up in. 7,108 ft or 1.35 miles. 

i’m over 500 miles away,  grew up in flushing ny, which is now frushing ny.  met wife at college and we suburbed in ny a bit, but commute and taxes were soul sucking.  wife has a sister in cary nc we visited (they are no longer speaking), we loved the area and up and left, hoping to find work in 2007.  i have no family so i don’t give a crap where i live.  i never go back, flushing that i knew no longer exists.

I've only ever heard Inland Empire is on LA local news
It's between San Diego and LA. Just short of the glamorous life without reaching the beach. Seriously, there are far worse places to live and I am happy to be in a stable set of circumstances for housing. 

I grew up in New Castle, Pa rust belt pretty much.  Not much opportunity there.  Most people either went to where the jobs were or Pittsburgh.  Most my high school friends are scattered through out the US.  Live in the Raleigh, NC area since 1996.  Graduated high school in 1988 went to college in Erie, PA.   Most people I know that moved earn much more than they could in New Castle area.
Steve?

I live 250 miles from where I grew up. Only my sister lives there now since both our parents died last year. She did all the caring and doing for them. I told her to leave 30 years ago but she didn’t. Which worked out pretty well for me. I only go back to visit her with portions of kids. I don’t know anyone there and dont even know my way around anymore. 

Born & raised in Fresno CA, still consider that “home” for some weird reason. After 36 years moved to SF (3 hours away) and after five years there moved another hour north to Sonoma Valley (220 miles from “home” now). 

Currently visiting Fresno for Xmas and sitting here in my parents house it really doesn’t feel much different than Xmases from yeas ago. 

Curious about this as I think most people currently live close to where they grew up.  Now, many people have a nomadic childhood and bounce around, so for the sake of clarification, you can use the place where you graduated high school if you like, but you don't have to.  Maybe you were moved to a new HS in your late teens and consider somewhere else 'home'.  

Anyhow, how do FBGs fall here?  Did you stay close to the nest or did you venture out like a pioneer?  And if you did venture off, what was the catalyst for your move?

Poll isn't perfect by any means, but I'm curious how this will shake out.
I grew up a little closer to Philly then I am now but it's literally still considered the main line. I moved when I went into 5th grade still live in the town I went to HS in living at hoe for the time being. A lot of us my friends and I were always told to move out. Especially now. We've had a epic Opioid destruction amongst many of friend. Those who aren't home are in FL (Those were all our friends who were addicts went down for rehab), a few in Cali do to school and our military employment and the rest of us scattered through NJ/DEL/NY and MASS area. 

When I was younger I literally was living in the next town over which is a 10 mins drive give or take with traffic. I want to move out of town. Not sure I want to do the city or somewhere not the city but close enough to it. I'd prefer to move down to Florida or Hawaii but that would cost even more money. I want to get out to try new experiences and such.

I should clarify one place I'd go is Charleston SC. Why? I got an ex GF down there who comes home for Christmas. Had a kid off a 2 night stand with some jerk who left her her with only his name which was apparently a fake and a fake # to call him. Found out she was pregnant 3 1/2 months later decided to keep the kid who's now about 2 yrs old. I didn't find out until she was 6-7 months along. She was embarrassed and her friends who knew also knew how upset emotionally it'd be. I finally got her one friends husband to spill the beans. I had a major breakdown that night but after that was fine. I let it go with her for a bit and finally talked to her about it. I understood why she didn't tell me either. Still have feelings for her, keep in touch and aggravated and pissed off that she got such a ####ty situation and her daughter has no father, but she lives in a really nice apartment is a guidance counselor at a local school and does stuff for HERB LIFE. SO it could be a lot worse for a single mother. However she's one of the nicest people I have ever been with, one of the few girls I was ever with who didn't try to change me to be WHAT THEY WANTED and a lot of her friends ended up being most of my closes friends I hang out with now. We never left on bad terms either. She went to college and because teaching jobs in PA suck she moved which a friend in my HS Graduation class did and moved to ARZ. At the time she moved I was not prepared for a big change or I would've gone with her. I'm terrible with huge changes and had a job with money and bennies going on.  I just couldn't leave and then I ran into some financial issues and couldn't afford to go down and live with her which was shortly before that 2 night stand she had. Either way enough of my rant but I almost forgot Charleston would definitely be a place I'd want to be. 

It's between San Diego and LA. Just short of the glamorous life without reaching the beach. Seriously, there are far worse places to live and I am happy to be in a stable set of circumstances for housing. 
For work my region covers the IE (and the OC) so I spend most of my time there. Also my family lived in Rialto since the 40’s.  On a clear day that valley is gorgeous.  My Grandma used to talk about how pretty that valley was when the moved there, it unfortunately hasn’t been that for 40yrs.  

Born and raised in a small city in Michigan. After college moved to Chicago. Spent about 8-9 years there. Wife and I then moved to Huntington Beach, CA for a couple years & then Oceanside, CA for a couple more. Moved back to Chicago for 6-7 years. Now we’re in Austin, TX since August. Not sure if this is our forever stop yet. My parents are no longer living, but we do visit siblings and her parents in Michigan on holidays and maybe 1-2 other times a year. Probably would never really move back, but it’ll always be home. 

Edit: Seems to be a few Michiganders around here. 

For work my region covers the IE (and the OC) so I spend most of my time there. Also my family lived in Rialto since the 40’s.  On a clear day that valley is gorgeous.  My Grandma used to talk about how pretty that valley was when the moved there, it unfortunately hasn’t been that for 40yrs.  
Interesting. I really don't know the area too well as I just transplanted four or so years ago, but the cost of living is certainly different than even small towns in the Northeast. A house around where I am is a complete luxury. I'm amazed people can do it. 

Interesting. I really don't know the area too well as I just transplanted four or so years ago, but the cost of living is certainly different than even small towns in the Northeast. A house around where I am is a complete luxury. I'm amazed people can do it. 
Don’t waste your time investigating.  It’s flat out dangerous now, has been since I was a kid.  Stay on the west side of the IE.  

I "went away" to college only about 1.5 hours.

Couldn't wait to get out of my town. It had 6000 people and was that place that everyone was in everyone's business.

Moved back and would probably still be in that area if I didn't meet my wife.

Still under 25 miles though
Literally one of the reasons many of my friends left. There's a few families in my town that if you knew one person in their family you were bound to meet someone related to them either sibling, in law, friend etc. One of the families is really great people but like a typical really big Irish family have some issues and one side barely if ever talks to the other. However the other families everyones always in everyone else business. Like Mind your god dam business. I almost got in a fight with one of the members who was talking trash about someone I knew. I forget what it was actually about other then the fact they were just being disrespectful and judgmental. The dude was a real sleaze ball too. You know the type who went to the bar and tried to hit on every girl he could and see which one was easier to get in bed with type. All 3 families have family or friends in all 3 townships including ours so when we got in the fight as usual everyone had sides. luckily I had the family crew who had the more powerful people so I got off pretty easily. The other issue is the one set of family is a bunch of alcoholics and drug addicts and complete trash. But because they knew people in law enforcement have always got a slap on the wrist. 

Safe to say it's a total cluster#### sometimes and I recently ran into a buddy around thanksgiving who had numerous issues with the one family (the was unfortunately neighbors with the one crew) and said he was so glad he moved because he'd probably be in jail if he had to deal with them constantly any longer. So I know exactly what you mean here. It's ridiculous how certain people need to know everything about you. 

Grew in NYC suburbs but living and raising kids in Brooklyn and here to stay. Just under 50 miles but a different lifestyle.

Grew up in NC and always wanted to get out. Joined the Marines and spent all 8 years in NC except for training and a deployment. Finally got out and moved to Seattle just over a year ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread