What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFCCG: Titans at Chiefs - Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

I kind of don't want Henry to look for anyone specifically. Just run for 200 yards. 
Yeah he doesn't do this. Ramsey once ran right in his way in the middle of the field and setup a revenge hit and stuff like that happens, but has zero history of looking for someone and going after them

Cjw_55106 said:
I’d like to get this out-of-the-way now. If the titans win, are Chiefs fans going to call for Reid’s dismissal? It seems like it’s a common thing now and Reid doesn’t have a great “big game” track record. 
I believe the Chiefs will never win sheeit with Andy Reid as coach. He got bailed out in a big way by Mahomes last week, and in the playoffs Reid has consistently not had his team ready to play.

In last year's AFC Championship, the Patriots led 14-0 at the half and the offense did NOTHING. Consequently their defense was on the field the entire half. Mahomes got them close at the end, but another example of not being prepared. And at the end of the game, his defense was gassed.

Last week - not prepared.

Today - we'll see. The Hunts will never fire him, and my fear is that Reid wastes 7-8 years of Mahome's talent. I pray that I am totally wrong and that Mahomes is the guy to bring Reid and the Chiefs to the promised land.

I believe the Chiefs will never win sheeit with Andy Reid as coach. He got bailed out in a big way by Mahomes last week, and in the playoffs Reid has consistently not had his team ready to play.

In last year's AFC Championship, the Patriots led 14-0 at the half and the offense did NOTHING. Consequently their defense was on the field the entire half. Mahomes got them close at the end, but another example of not being prepared. And at the end of the game, his defense was gassed.

Today - we'll see. The Hunts will never fire him, and my fear is that Reid wastes 7-8 years of Mahome's talent. I pray that I am totally wrong and that Mahomes is the guy to bring Reid and the Chiefs to the promised land.
Lived around Philly all my life and I agree with your Reid view.

That being said, I also agree with your Malhomes view.

I don't see them losing to the titans this week, but the 9ers in the superbowl (pffft GB) are going to be where Reid's wonderful abilities to blow it rear their ugly head.

Andy Reid is crazy underrated still, amazingly as that is. The Chiefs hadn’t even been to the AFCCG since 1993. Now they are there 2 years in a row. They’ve made the playoffs 6/7 years under Reid. There is 0% chance they should or even would fire him if they lose today. The narrative on him may not change unless they win the Super Bowl, which they very well might do in a couple weeks. 

Andy Reid is crazy underrated still, amazingly as that is. The Chiefs hadn’t even been to the AFCCG since 1993. Now they are there 2 years in a row. They’ve made the playoffs 6/7 years under Reid. There is 0% chance they should or even would fire him if they lose today. The narrative on him may not change unless they win the Super Bowl, which they very well might do in a couple weeks. 
Agreed.  However, if they lose today or in the Super Bowl, people can keep ringing the "Andy Reid cannot win the big game" bell, and if they win the Super Bowl, those same people will give Mahomes all of the credit and say he won the Super Bowl in spite of Reid.  

If Tennessee can control the clock and minimize the Chiefs possessions they have a great chance to win.  Otherwise, not so much IMO.

The Titans looking like a 3 safety set, then presnap having Byard cover has been enormous in the playoffs. It's been 24 plays I think.

Brady threw zero times at Byard. Lamar Jackson threw once and got a completion to Andrews. Next pass, INT by Byard. Two pass attempts in 24 snaps. 

We haven't seen the all pro cover a WR much since he was a rookie. He's a deep safety and still is most of the time. 

It's just that it's third down and the O calls a play and then faaaa Byard is on the guy we were gonna throw to. 

This has been a brilliant decision by Pees to hide the CB injury depth chart issues and to throw something new at an offense for the playoffs. 

The other problem with this is they can double still. It's just a normal defensive set, so if there is another expected WR targeted, they can double him. Vaccaro and Ryan got INTs by a QB throwing into this double coverage. 

The other CB is Adoree Jackson who has been amazing in the playoffs. He might be coming into his own and if so he's a super athlete so that'd be considerable. Generally, he is great one play and questionable the next. 

Sooooooo opposing QBs are looking at Tremaine Brock, Ryan, and Leshaun Sims or Adoree on first and second but when it comes time to make a key third down completion, Mahomes will probably see Byard, Ryan, and Adoree. It's like going from playing the third string to playing the pro bowl team. 

Knowing this (sprinkled in in week 15 and 16, two playoff games, plenty of tape) the Chiefs should pass on first and second more than normal and they're one of the highest to pass on those downs already.

The Titans have a version of the Pats bend but don't break zone. The middle is open for an easy catch and then the player is tackled. Repeat, over n over.

This has been successful in the playoffs because Jeffrey Simmons, Jurrell Casey, and Rashaan Evans were incredible for goal line stands that actually stopped the other team. How often does that happen?

Vrabel loves it so the Titans are sure to use it plenty. If Mahomes doesn't try to throw his deep passes against it, he should be able to hit Kelce all day while they're in this zone. Watkins or any WR that wants to cross and catch it over the middle, they'll get theirs too. 

I'm terrified of this D as a fan. It about gives them a FG and depends so much on the best red zone defense imaginable. It's such a big ask of the D.

Humphries and Davis BLOCKED the DE and OLB a whole lot in the first meeting. This junk left over from the previous regime's bad offense actually set them up to be considerably open as the D slept on them.

The previous matchup was the game that convinced Vrabel he always needs to have a FB. The Chiefs couldn't handle the FB and Henry ran wild. It was not like the previous playoff games or most Henry games you've seen. He didn't get touched on many carries til some DB got to him. All the quotes this week, all that stuff, they barely even got a "taste" of the real Derrick Henry. The DBs took all the hits.

Old Suggs does this slanted angle rush, shoulder turn thing that Cameron Wake has had so much success with. The Titans tackles better be ready for it after practicing so much against Wake

I don't know if they weren't prepared or just had a few early issues. They sure worked them out. 

If Tennessee can control the clock and minimize the Chiefs possessions they have a great chance to win.  Otherwise, not so much IMO.
The DBs have their work cut out for them for sure.  Byard and adoree are the keys IMO

Some of this is on Mahomes and not in a bad way. For so long, a team has had to lose at "this level" to learn and win at "that level" in all sports.

We'll see and he is wonderful, but you might be asking too much of a 2nd year starting QB.

In this era, you pretty much have to beat Belichick or one of his prized pupils. They always have some new wrinkle or dust off some old one to confuse the QB. It took Peyton years to be able to win a Supe.

Pees is one of my favorite former Belichick staff members and he just figured out how to slow down a guy no one has all year in Lamar Jackson. Not coincidentally, another young QB in the playoffs. It might just be Mahomes needs time. I sure don't doubt he'll win at least one.

Reid, the GM, has only drafted a 7th round linemen in the last three years. Not surprisingly, they don't have a top line and the Chiefs had a top line for 10-15 years. I would have said he's a dope this summer but he's in the AFCG with that line. 

As I said earlier, it is super curious that he's barely used the backup RBs lately. I would bet $ he is "up to something" and we find out today or if they win, next week. The Chiefs had a nice two headed monster at RB (with three backs) for a good while there this season.

I think Mahomes is the most impatient QB Reid has ever coached. I love the high flying excitement and Favre like moments but even Favre had to learn to just take a first down to the backup TE sometimes. Jeff George was the best (arm) gunslinger the league has ever had IMO and Reid has got his gunslinger using his head more than George ever did. Mahomes was more college like buy time, scramble, take a hit woo hoo as a rookie. He's definitely more mature or wiser. He still will, no doubt, but it's more like Favre or Young or Elway and got a purpose to it now. Reid always had these speedy deep threats but Hill can do other things. There have been a zillion Hill's in NFL history (like one in Cincy now) that really can't pan out because there's more to the game than just speed. I bet everything with Hill is different than it was in Reid's offense for years- idk if he needs space to operate or faster throws or what, but he is abnormal so there had to be changes.

I think Spencer Ware's recent play was a good flash as to what the O used to be and what it is now. He used to be a tough runner and one of a few that they had and the line was gonna beat you up too. I have wondered about this a lot this week. The Chiefs run D is OK and they allow big plays more than anyone last I checked, so they're an awful matchup on paper for Derrick Henry. Reid knows all too well though how to rely on the back(s) and line all day. He is probably well versed on whatever the Titans are doing and it might not be so much a typical gameplan, but "this is what bugged us when we ran all day."

There's an almost spoiled attitude from Chiefs fans this week. It's pretty evident that some of it comes from a disrespect for the Titans and I get that because they weren't that great for a good portion of the year, but...the complaints about success come across badly. Look at the Browns and Bengals and Bucs. I think it's been twenty years since the Titans were this close. 

Then there's Vrabel. He's so egotistical it rubs people the wrong way as always happens in society. I think Reid's ego does that to you guys and then I think it's not spoiled, it's the very same reaction to an ego.

I don't know but...I hope you all appreciate how far your team has come. We all know a few bad free agents moves or draft classes can drop a team out of contention real fast

Bri always brings knowledge and so does Stinkin', just in different ways.

While you guys have your convo about whether a Super Bowl coach is "the guy" I'm going to chime in here and just say that I'm eagerly looking forward to two hours from now and this start time. I want to see what I think has wild potential for a game come down to its main playmakers.

Such incompatible game scripts, so much to be made of who gets out to a start and whether that chance will hold. I've got the Chiefs by seven, but we'll see how important line play is in the NFL...oooh baby, this is a good one. 

Football finally this week!

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Some of this is on Mahomes and not in a bad way. For so long, a team has had to lose at "this level" to learn and win at "that level" in all sports.

We'll see and he is wonderful, but you might be asking too much of a 2nd year starting QB.

In this era, you pretty much have to beat Belichick or one of his prized pupils. They always have some new wrinkle or dust off some old one to confuse the QB. It took Peyton years to be able to win a Supe.

Pees is one of my favorite former Belichick staff members and he just figured out how to slow down a guy no one has all year in Lamar Jackson. Not coincidentally, another young QB in the playoffs. It might just be Mahomes needs time. I sure don't doubt he'll win at least one.

Reid, the GM, has only drafted a 7th round linemen in the last three years. Not surprisingly, they don't have a top line and the Chiefs had a top line for 10-15 years. I would have said he's a dope this summer but he's in the AFCG with that line. 

As I said earlier, it is super curious that he's barely used the backup RBs lately. I would bet $ he is "up to something" and we find out today or if they win, next week. The Chiefs had a nice two headed monster at RB (with three backs) for a good while there this season.

I think Mahomes is the most impatient QB Reid has ever coached. I love the high flying excitement and Favre like moments but even Favre had to learn to just take a first down to the backup TE sometimes. Jeff George was the best (arm) gunslinger the league has ever had IMO and Reid has got his gunslinger using his head more than George ever did. Mahomes was more college like buy time, scramble, take a hit woo hoo as a rookie. He's definitely more mature or wiser. He still will, no doubt, but it's more like Favre or Young or Elway and got a purpose to it now. Reid always had these speedy deep threats but Hill can do other things. There have been a zillion Hill's in NFL history (like one in Cincy now) that really can't pan out because there's more to the game than just speed. I bet everything with Hill is different than it was in Reid's offense for years- idk if he needs space to operate or faster throws or what, but he is abnormal so there had to be changes.

I think Spencer Ware's recent play was a good flash as to what the O used to be and what it is now. He used to be a tough runner and one of a few that they had and the line was gonna beat you up too. I have wondered about this a lot this week. The Chiefs run D is OK and they allow big plays more than anyone last I checked, so they're an awful matchup on paper for Derrick Henry. Reid knows all too well though how to rely on the back(s) and line all day. He is probably well versed on whatever the Titans are doing and it might not be so much a typical gameplan, but "this is what bugged us when we ran all day."

There's an almost spoiled attitude from Chiefs fans this week. It's pretty evident that some of it comes from a disrespect for the Titans and I get that because they weren't that great for a good portion of the year, but...the complaints about success come across badly. Look at the Browns and Bengals and Bucs. I think it's been twenty years since the Titans were this close. 

Then there's Vrabel. He's so egotistical it rubs people the wrong way as always happens in society. I think Reid's ego does that to you guys and then I think it's not spoiled, it's the very same reaction to an ego.

I don't know but...I hope you all appreciate how far your team has come. We all know a few bad free agents moves or draft classes can drop a team out of contention real fast
:goodposting:  

As I said before, you have to take advantage of these opportunities when they are there.  I know some Chiefs fan think they will be making deep playoff runs every year with Mahomes for the next decade, and hey maybe they will, but you can never assume anything.  I am sure Dolphins fans thought their team would be in a bunch more Super Bowls after 1984 with Marino...and he never got to another one.  Once Mahomes gets paid, it will be a lot tougher for the Chiefs to keep a really good team around him, and it is not likely that he will be surrounded by this much talent on offense over the long haul, so, again, you have to strike while the iron is hot.  This is the best chance the Chiefs have had to make the Super Bowl since I've been watching football (since the early 80's), and it will be interesting to see if they can finally get over the hump today, or if Vrabel and D Henry and co. will keep it going.  For as much as the Titans stymied the Ravens last week, there were far too many plays where a Ravens receiver was wide open, and if that happens today, the Chiefs have a handful of weapons who can take those plays that were 20-yard catches last week and turn them into touchdowns today. 

Like the Titans getting 7 points.  The offensive line is playing at a very high level and Henry is obviously hit an incredible stretch as an arhlete.  Defense just had to keep a lid on the Cheifs so the Titans can get a lead.  

Lol at clock management. Mahomes begging for the play and another wasted TO.

Andy Reid’s most glaring deficiency and it’s been happening for almost two decades. 

HOT DIGGITY DOG! YOUSA MADE A DONATION TO MY HONOR COLLECTION!

Nah, gg bra. I liked the Chiefs given what happened to Houston. 
Lucky for me I have no honor!!  Wait wat??  Cheifs defense came through and played well vs. the run.  Tannehill just can't carry a team like he needed to.  Still not a believer going 49ers in the bowl. 

Users who are viewing this thread