What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (21 Viewers)

Just to chime in in support of @Otis, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that -- all things considered -- it's better if a communicable disease tends to kill predominately old people and folks with underlying health issues as opposed to young and healthy people.  I mean, I'm sure we all agree that "death rate of 15% among the elderly" (or whatever the % is) is bad, but logically "death rate of 15% among everyone" is far worse.  That's true both because it implies more deaths, and also because it implies more life-years lost.  It's a bigger deal for someone to die at 25 than it is to die at 80.

I say that as somebody who has both of his parents alive and both of his in-laws alive.  Obviously I would like for them not to get C19.  But in some weird hypothetical where it came down to my mom or my daughter, nobody really disagrees about who's passing would be the bigger tragedy.  

I was talking about you making tasteless jokes. 

You know that because you defend making jokes in your last sentence
Hopefully you’re so disgusted with me, you put me on ignore. It would improve both of our ffa experiences so have at it

Just to chime in in support of @Otis, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that -- all things considered -- it's better if a communicable disease tends to kill predominately old people and folks with underlying health issues as opposed to young and healthy people.  I mean, I'm sure we all agree that "death rate of 15% among the elderly" (or whatever the % is) is bad, but logically "death rate of 15% among everyone" is far worse.  That's true both because it implies more deaths, and also because it implies more life-years lost.  It's a bigger deal for someone to die at 25 than it is to die at 80.

I say that as somebody who has both of his parents alive and both of his in-laws alive.  Obviously I would like for them not to get C19.  But in some weird hypothetical where it came down to my mom or my daughter, nobody really disagrees about who's passing would be the bigger tragedy.  
All this. And to be clear, I never even went this far. My point was not that it’s ok that the old and infirm are dying, my point was that when people keep saying things like “14 dead in the Seattle suburbs,” it’s really so misleading (whether intentionally or not).  Like all of those people were in their 80s and in one nursing home. I’m not spitting on those people’s’ graves, but just making a point about the way information is being presented, both in this thread, typically by some of the more hysterical folks, and in the media in general, can be really misleading when stripped of important details. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally received the letter from my cruise line that we can cancel up to 48 hours in advance for full refund in the form of a future credit.  So this is great but unfortunately we still have the flights to Miami that we will probably have to eat.

Huh? Where is this occurring?

FTR, 101 is usually the cut-off considered a significant fever, though average human body temperature has been decreasing.
Is that the level of fever that indicates possible CV?  I've been looking for that info and can't find it.  It's not low-grade, right?  It's high?

This is a pretty big deal, isn't it?  I live in the Midwest, but my limited understanding is that this is a pretty high-traffic line.
~10,000 a day give or take.  But if you want to get Congress's attention that will do it -- they're heavy users.

The regular NE corridor service is more than double that.

This is a pretty big deal, isn't it?  I live in the Midwest, but my limited understanding is that this is a pretty high-traffic line.
Canceling the non stop is not a huge deal. That’s a brand new train I think added within the last year or so. There are still express trains, just not a complete N.Y. to DC nonstop.  And I assume they are cutting it because business travel is down and they just can’t fill those extra trains anymore. 

ETA link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/03/06/amtrak-acela-non-stop-service-suspended-coronavirus/amp/

And it’s just three trains a day. There are TONS of local and express trains that will continue to run on that line. 

In general though, please don't do the thanosing. 

A lot of us here have / had :(  parents or relatives or friends that age. Thanks 
I hear you. I have parents and in-laws that age and certainly wouldn’t want to see anything bad happening to them.  The ”thanosing” comment was intended to be tongue in cheek, a description of how one or two posters seemed to be taking my post — of course I’m not wishing for half the world to die. A little reason goes a long way in these discussions. 

In any event, I’ll try to be more careful with my wording on that point. Carry on all. 

How many of you have your spouse on the same page? My wife thought I was overreacting at first but I think she is now more concerned than I am.
GF is on board 100%. 

Worldmeter Mar-07 11:02 GMT Update

1. China: 80651 (+99) confirmed, 3070 (+28) deaths
  2. South Korea: 7041 confirmed, 48 deaths
  3. Iran: 4747 confirmed, 124 deaths
  4. Italy: 4636 confirmed, 197 deaths
  5. Diamond Princess: 696 confirmed, 6 deaths
  6. Germany: 692 confirmed
  7. France: 653 confirmed, 9 deaths
  8. Japan: 435 confirmed, 6 deaths
  9. Spain: 402 confirmed, 8 deaths
  10. USA: 335 confirmed, 17 deaths
  11. Switzerland: 216 confirmed, 1 death
  12. UK: 164 confirmed, 2 deaths
  13. Sweden: 137 confirmed
  14. Norway: 136 confirmed
  15. Singapore: 130 confirmed
  16. Netherlands: 128 confirmed, 1 death
  17. Belgium: 109 confirmed
  18. Hong Kong: 108 confirmed, 2 deaths
  19. Malaysia: 83 confirmed
  20. Austria: 74 confirmed
a few countries are straight surging right now... damn. 

FL: 2 deaths, 6 cases.

First US deaths on  the east coast.
:(  

We have tickets to a spring game today. Sitting out on the berm so not as close as sitting right next to people in the stands. Leaning towards not going. Ugh. 

Beautiful weather too. 

Even states that have enough test kits may not be able to test a lot of people per day.
Agree. I don't know what goes into the actual diagnosing once tested, but I would assume it's more than peeing on a stick and waiting for the color change. It seems like it would have to go to a lab, right? I would assume then that there might be at least a little bit of a bottle neck there. 

GF is on board 100%. 

a few countries are straight surging right now... damn. 

:(  
Italy, Germany, France, USA. South Korea has stopped the exponential growth and I’d imagine we will see their numbers start to fall.

Agree. I don't know what goes into the actual diagnosing once tested, but I would assume it's more than peeing on a stick and waiting for the color change. It seems like it would have to go to a lab, right? I would assume then that there might be at least a little bit of a bottle neck there. 
There are tests that are supposed to diagnose very quickly without a lab. I’m not sure what kind the “4 million” tests that Pence promised are 

How many of you have your spouse on the same page? My wife thought I was overreacting at first but I think she is now more concerned than I am.
This is me, I was clearly concerned for the previous few weeks. Now my wife is partially insane and I’ve calmed down.

I think my concern a few weeks ago was the small remaining humanitarian in me, like me we can be proactive, control this, and take action, but obviously we weren’t smart enough. Weeks ago colleagues and friends thought I was insane, now I’m calm, stocked, and ready; everyone else feels insane to me that they’re either realizing the severity of the situation now or on the other end downplaying it to nothing. It’s too late and we’re too stupid. Sadly I don’t see an outcome that doesn’t make this widespread in the USA, and if I’m being really honest, I’d put money we’ll clear this up way after most other first world countries. I’ve basically learned to accept that.

-Murica 

I came home from a business trip and our pantry is bursting full of food. Proud although this abundance of calories isn’t going to be good for my dietary efforts

This is going to suck for sports.  Watching Liverpool right now.  This awesome team has waited decades to win a title and are on top of the league by 22 points. I think they will clinch the league sometime over the next 2-3 weeks.

IMO they will be celebrating in front of empty stands when sporting events move to crowd less spectacles.  Stinks for the fans who have waited so long for this. 

I realize it’s not life and death, but sports do bring joy to millions.

This might sound bad, but really think about it.

I hate China, if Trump has one thing right, it’s going after China, although I think he utterly failed so far after 3 years.

Think about this:

This originated in this disgusting country where people were in some disgusting animal markets eating and trading some disgusting stuff. They start and spread this #### everywhere, played cover up at first, and then they’ll be the first to fix it with their aggressive communist policies. They’ll shut their borders as the problems persist elsewhere, and soon we’ll be right back to a world where even more stuff is made in China.

When this is done, the world needs to turn our backs on them in unison. That’s all I say about that in here, but there are some long-lasting consequences from this beyond the virus and those that will unfortunately die due to it.

ETA:

& I’m not a xenophobe. I have plenty of Chinese-American friends and colleagues who I like and respect, this is the country and communist party itself, not those in America.

Worldmeter Mar-07 11:02 GMT Update

1. China: 80651 (+99) confirmed, 3070 (+28) deaths
  2. South Korea: 7041 confirmed, 48 deaths
  3. Iran: 4747 confirmed, 124 deaths
  4. Italy: 4636 confirmed, 197 deaths
  5. Diamond Princess: 696 confirmed, 6 deaths
  6. Germany: 692 confirmed
  7. France: 653 confirmed, 9 deaths
  8. Japan: 435 confirmed, 6 deaths
  9. Spain: 402 confirmed, 8 deaths
  10. USA: 335 confirmed, 17 deaths
  11. Switzerland: 216 confirmed, 1 death
  12. UK: 164 confirmed, 2 deaths
  13. Sweden: 137 confirmed
  14. Norway: 136 confirmed
  15. Singapore: 130 confirmed
  16. Netherlands: 128 confirmed, 1 death
  17. Belgium: 109 confirmed
  18. Hong Kong: 108 confirmed, 2 deaths
  19. Malaysia: 83 confirmed
  20. Austria: 74 confirmed
I suppose a high country death rate could be a sign that there are lots more cases that aren’t being discovered.  For example, I assume the US has more cases than Germany.

I suppose a high country death rate could be a sign that there are lots more cases that aren’t being discovered.  For example, I assume the US has more cases than Germany.
It’s so hard to calculate a death rate for some of these countries now because the outbreaks for many of these countries are pretty new. I speculate that you can tell how long it’s been in a country by looking at the number recovered. Italy for example are recording 523 recovered patients. Germany has recorded 17.

I’d imagine Germany will have a lower death rate because they are probably testing fast and early and that helps keep it low. But they’ve also not had it in their country long enough to see significant deaths yet.

It’s so hard to calculate a death rate for some of these countries now because the outbreaks for many of these countries are pretty new. I speculate that you can tell how long it’s been in a country by looking at the number recovered. Italy for example are recording 523 recovered patients. Germany has recorded 17.

I’d imagine Germany will have a lower death rate because they are probably testing fast and early and that helps keep it low. But they’ve also not had it in their country long enough to see significant deaths yet.
Huh? Germany had it before italy did.

We might need to split this into a news thread and a prepper/community impact thread.  Where the news thread has a more limited tolerance to schtick.  Just thinking out loud.   Perhaps a third thread that is US outbreak based only.

We might need to split this into a news thread and a prepper/community impact thread.  Where the news thread has a more limited tolerance to schtick.  Just thinking out loud.   Perhaps a third thread that is US outbreak based only.
Not a bad idea.  The economic/social impacts could potentially become much more impactful than the virus, but either way it’s a bit of a different story.

it could also be totally random, like a nursing home being thanosed

They may have had it, but did they have an outbreak? It doesn’t appear so, unless they’ve not been testing. That testing data would be nice to have 
The sense I get is they had a slow testing response, similar to here.  

The surge in cases there stems at least in half from the 2/26 Carnival attendees.  

Users who are viewing this thread