What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

That helps explain WA.

I read that the CHinese Ambassador was claiming China got it from US.
US summons Chinese ambassador over coronavirus conspiracy theory
Kylie AtwoodZachary Cohen
By Kylie Atwood and Zachary Cohen, CNN

Updated 2:48 PM ET, Fri March 13, 2020
(CNN)US Assistant Secretary of State David Stilwell summoned China's ambassador in Washington to the State Department Friday morning, hours after a prominent Chinese official suggested that the US military may have been responsible for bringing the coronavirus to Wuhan, the epicenter of the global pandemic.

That claim was publicly promoted by China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian on Thursday, who pointed to remarks made by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention l director Robert Redfield as proof of a growing conspiracy theory that the coronavirus did not originate in central China, as previously thought, and may have been brought there by the US Army.

"CDC was caught on the spot. When did patient zero begin in US? How many people are infected? What are the names of the hospitals? It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan. Be transparent! Make public your data! US owe us an explanation!" Zhao tweeted to his more than 300,000 followers.
Chinese ambassador Cui Tiankai was summoned to the State Department shortly after Zhao's comments were posted online.
During Friday's meeting, Stilwell gave a very "stern representation" of the facts to the Chinese ambassador, who was "very defensive," a senior State Department official told CNN. Stilwell did not issue any threats, but the two diplomats had a frank diplomatic discourse, the official said.

Tensions have been brewing for weeks between Washington and Beijing over who is to blame for the coronavirus outbreak. China continues to deny that the virus originated there while top US officials, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, have pointed the finger directly at Beijing.
Just last week, Pompeo referred to the disease as the "Wuhan virus." President Donald Trump called it a "foreign virus" during his address to the nation this week.
The State Department believes that China is seeking to deflect criticism for its role in "starting a global pandemic and not telling the world," the official told CNN, adding that spreading conspiracy theories is dangerous and ridiculous.

On Friday, Stilwell sought to put the Chinese government on notice that the US will not tolerate the comments they have been making in seeing to deflect blame for coronavirus, which have not been limited to Zhao's tweet on Thursday.
Earlier Friday, Zhao's fellow Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said there were "varied opinions" on the origin of the virus in the international community.
"China always considers this a scientific question, which should be addressed in a scientific and professional manner," he said, avoiding questions on whether Zhao's tweet represented the Chinese government's official position.
The country's top infectious disease expert and government health officials have also cast doubt on where the virus originated.
Meanwhile, the Trump administration has become increasingly aggressive in its criticism directed at China despite Trump's initial praise for Beijing's handling of the outbreak.
Earlier this week, President Trump's National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien blasted the Chinese government for their response to the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, saying they "covered up" the outbreak and "probably" cost the world "two months to respond."
"There's lots of open source reporting from China, from Chinese nationals that the doctors involved were either silenced or, or put in isolation or that sort of thing so word of this virus could not get out," O'Brien told a crowd at the Heritage Foundation in Washington.
"If we had those and been able to sequence the virus and had the cooperation necessary from the Chinese, had a WHO team been on the ground, had a CDC team which we'd offered been on the ground, I think we could've dramatically curtailed what happened both in China and what's now happening across the world," he continued.
Other US officials close to Trump, including incoming chief of staff Mark Meadows have labeled it as the "China virus," despite objections from the CDC director who told lawmakers he agreed it was "absolutely wrong" to do so.

How long until everybody's hands are so dry from washing hands that we see a run on hand lotion at the stores? 
This is one of those posts where I open myself to ridicule - but so be it.  When I started doing Keto it dried out my hands and lips. It got so bad that I started stocking up on hand lotion and chapstick.  I have more than any human could probably use in 20 years.

Apologies if this has been posted and I missed it (hard to keep up with this thread) - is there a good source or link to find out details about the deaths in the U.S.?  I’m very concerned about my parents - I’ve told them to stay indoors and I can bring them what they need but they can tend to be stubborn.
If you or someone finds it, I have a thread expressly for consolidating this type link

That helps explain WA.

I read that the CHinese Ambassador was claiming China got it from US.
Not sure it was the ambassador (think it was some Military guy who is a bit of a #### stirrer), but yeah, he claimed that the USA brought it to Wuhan at the Military World Games which was hosted in Wuhan in Oct '19.

What the best source to just get a quick recap on the latest news on CV? I'd like to try and tune out but be able to glance at what's happening now and then.

Local update in Southern NH. Went shopping yesterday in an affluent town. No place to park. People were making their own spots. Store was mobbed. People were pleasant and in good spirits. Still some TP and water left. Pastas and sauces mostly gone. Chicken hard to come by. They brought some more chicken from out back and people were grabbing packs straight out of the boxes. Probably a half hour in line to get out. Most things still in stock, maybe not the brand or variety you wanted though. They mentioned they likely are going to stop putting out fresh produce for fear of not knowing who touched it. 

Other stores in other towns not as great stories. Some had to close early afternoon because they had very little left in stock. People got in line well before they reopened this morning and they were gutted again within an hour. Apparently some people were trying to buy out whatever got put out. I assume they will start limiting quantities of everything at some point. I saw pictures. There were row after row of completely empty aisles. I have a hard time comprehending that. 

Community wise, multiple towns have created a collaborative to try to stem the spread. Department of Health and CDC reps went around to businesses and schools explaining the importance of staying home. Schools and all activities in all the towns in the collaborative now closed or cancelled. Some of the schools are not able to do online learning, so not sure how that will play out. One of the towns actually giving out like 2,000 laptops for all the students in their schools. Also heard that they are pooling resources to get supplies out to people that need them. Still not many cases here (knock on wood), and I’m pretty sure that’s the point. 

Jim Bessman @JimBessman

#BREAKING: Third Mar-a-Lago guest tests positive for #coronavirus. Acting Brazilian Ambassador Nestor Forster, who dined with President #Trump on Saturday night at his South Florida club, is the second Brazilian and third Mar-a-Lago guest to test positive.
As of late Friday Trump will not be tested says physician to the President, despite Trump's remarks at press conference that he would "most likely" be tested.
WH physician confirms that Nestor Forster, the third confirmed coronavirus patient from Mar-a-Lago, was seated at the same table as Trump for dinner. Still says Trump will not be tested.

I'm sure it has been discussed but wow, Boris Johnson is really setting up a test case in the UK. I'm not sure how I'd feel living there. 

I’d go for it
Only catch is wife would have  to stay home and while she said she’s cool with it, I would feel a little guilty. Other catch is I would be living with my in-laws which is ok but not ideal. And then obvious that I don’t want to get stuck in Mexico if we close the borders or the breakout spreads there.

Family and I made a trip to Lakeland for the weekend(and my daughters are spending their spring break week with my in-laws), wife needed to stop at walmart for a swimsuit. She talked to a store worker who said it was busier earlier, and they're out of what you'd expect them to be. They're supposed to get a water delivery today, but people would have to ask for it, to avoid a melee.

Side note: anyone who's been to a store over the past week, now you know what we Floridians deal with as a hurricane approaches. Pro tip, don't eat all your snacks the first day.

A social media post I just saw and really is a great summary, especially for those who are still out and about because it's not in their area yet.  And yes, I know a lot of this is already known and talked about here, but still figured I'd share it.

This seems very accurate.  Thanks for sharing.

There ain't nothing coming out when I cough on this stuff.  It for sure helps lung pressure.  Quickly too. 
I remember a quote from an early survivor who said it felt like his lungs were covered in paste. I imagine there would be relief loosening that #### up, even if you didn't cough it out.

Not sure it was the ambassador (think it was some Military guy who is a bit of a #### stirrer), but yeah, he claimed that the USA brought it to Wuhan at the Military World Games which was hosted in Wuhan in Oct '19.
I linked the original article upthread. Its actually pretty :tinfoilhat:

I suppose now is as good a time as any to mention(if it hasn't already) that since this is a virus, there's no way to actually eliminate it yet. The only way to prevent it is a vaccine(which we don't have), but we can treat symptoms. Prevention is still super important, since we don't know its full potency just yet.

For those who want to know about the general mathematics behind exponential growth and logistics curves that describe the spread of something like a viral outbreak, here is an excellent video on the topic.  Keep in mind it was recorded on March 6th so the data he uses is behind current day, but the principles are what make this worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2oBWWEggc-_ZKIQ9PMcSTwDJAe2c8loN7oVEGqFAbRLjJax9iAAWo2B9s
would you put this in the links thread? I'll copy it to first post next time I'm housecleaning in there

Would that be a good thing?  Meaning, maybe the death rate isn’t nearly as bad as they are thinking?  Obviously not ideal if so many people have it but that would make me think we are just hearing the absolute worst cases and it’s not as bad as feared.
hope is a false positive

It's horrible how we have to dance around the elephant in the room when it is such a critical part of this situation.
I don't see why we have to? 

I know, right?  I wish there was a thread where we could talk about the government's response to the coronavirus.
Multiple threads is annoying, though I post in both.  The political forum has it's place, but it's basically a Trump bashing fest, not a discussion of the coronavirus.  There needs to be a place to point out where leaders of the world handle the coronavirus epidemic poorly, without getting into political R vs D bs.

You'd think that place could be here.  Trump's handling of the coronavirus will affect the death rate, the spread and the impact of this virus. 

Yes. My pointing out the behavior of the guy who is supposed to be leading us through this mess is clearly the problem. I'm being political. The behavior I'm pointing out is not political at all. Wake up.
Not political....sigh

Ok fine, how about this ..if you wanna ##### about Trump, there is a entire forum dedicated to that , how about taking it there ?? People come to this thread to discuss , news etc

And on a side note, you typed “unbelievable “ when you linked that. Is it really unbelievable at this point? If his behavior is “unbelievable” to you after all this time....YOU need to wake up

—— apologies to others for sidetracking this thread 

Not political....sigh

Ok fine, how about this ..if you wanna ##### about Trump, there is a entire forum dedicated to that , how about taking it there ?? People come to this thread to discuss , news etc

And on a side note, you typed “unbelievable “ when you linked that. Is it really unbelievable at this point? If his behavior is “unbelievable” to you after all this time....YOU need to wake up

—— apologies to others for sidetracking this thread 
Sorry. Should have said unforgivable instead. Thanks for helping to correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread