What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (23 Viewers)

Yeah. I mean two nights ago had a fever sweat break, yesterday took zero cold meds and feel no need to today. Absolutely 100% at this point.   

#recovered
I think I read your updates but maybe not all - your first indication was upper respiratory issues?  Did you immediately start taking Mucinex?  What else did you take?  How long until your fever came on?  Did you ever get seen by a doc?

Terminalxylem said:
There's a COVID tent with 40 extra "beds" set up outside the hospital in which I work. Unfortunately, business is booming.
According to the news there are only a handful of cases in your state. Is the real situation not being reported on?
Probably some kind of a built-in lag between reality and what gets medically confirmed and then reported in the media.

The media reports information about new cases as though they're tracking the spread in real time. Not so ... they are several steps behind.

One good use of healthy-person sampling tests is to get at least something of a read on the number of "background" cases in the wild right now. Compare such rates between known hot spots (Seattle, New York ) and areas of low transmission to date (parts of the Mountain West and South). With that data, we could perhaps use the confirmed-case counts as a proxy for the number of "true" cases in the population.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
So it’s getting decidedly uncomfortable in my house. Wife and I have very different views on the approach to this. I’m all about social distancing and avoiding public settings for a couple weeks while we see where this is going. She feels we should continue as normal as long as we wash our hands. She goes to the gym, shopping and restaurants. I have asthma, she doesn’t. She doesn’t consider asthma an underlying medical condition.  I’m going to social distance starting now but she has no plans to...and is pissed off due to my overreacting to the situation. 

On a positive note my neighbor who is a firefighter brought us two N95 masks. Think I’ll start wearing it around my wife. 😷
Poke a hole in hers

Wife heard from some of her friends at actual Massachusetts hospitals. One woman just came off a double shift where they took over 500 tests and people were still lined up. They are not sure how long it will take to get those processed and completed (by comparison, my state had only handled 340 tests in two weeks). At a different hospital, one of the clinicians tested positive so now that treatment team is going to have to be sidelined in quarantine. They have no idea how what they do / who they treat makes it to the official statistics and when those numbers would be released. Of course, having a lot of people clumped together in a small space is bad news even if only one of them tests positive (even if it is in a tent or a parking lot).

Crazy to think about what those numbers would look like if the whole country hadn't been in full quarantine for the last week+.
Yeah even though these are the highest single-day numbers for Italy, it seems like their exponential rate of increase is starting to slow.  

I'm a few pages behind, so excuse me, but:

The high end of the confidence interval was not 10, but 7.10 -- see above. If you were making a guesstimate extrapolation based on presumed crowd exposure ... then OK, but you should caveat a suggested R0 as high as R10.
Again, once we observed Italy's hospital system become overwhelmed, then the accuracy of that number is moot. Even if it is as low as 2.2, it still produces a result we need to avoid. 
I've gotten caught up and I see your point.

Having to reimagine my garage as a home gym.  Must not let corona stop my gainz.  Thing is if I get this to a certain level what's the protocol for letting others use it?
My laziness is finally paying off. If my gym wasn't in one of my spare bedrooms, I might not ever get there. I'd definitely allow my g/f to use it and maybe have one other friend who I'd let over. I'm not trying to open my own Planet Fitness or anything.

Barbell + trap bar + squat rack + weights work out to a few months gym membership anyway. My home gym has paid for itself, and I can add whatever niche thing I want. Highly recommended.

You've been one of the biggest harbingers of doom in here yet are not practicing social distancing.  Please don't take offense.  You discussed how worried you were about your parents.  People like you have helped the skeptics like me truly understand what is going on and take action.  I just find it odd. 
I hear ya. 

i think the perception of a harbinger of doom is perhaps a bit off. I've been accused of panicking.... but I'm totally not. 

Crawfish boil was relatively small (15 folks) and we took precautions like standing 5-6 feet apart, no handshakes. Being outside helps a lot. Etc. 

Im not totally ready to lock down yet, and I'm an extremely social person.. so I cherry pick low risk spots and take precautions? Make sense? 

Yes, it would keep people at home but you could also have [UPS & FedEx] workers spreading it all over.  Tough call. 
As of what's known now, virus transmission via mail/packages essentially doesn't happen. A sick driver not taking precautions could spread to mail recipients not taking precautions, though. Gotta revisit the signature-pad thing, for one.

I hear ya. 

i think the perception of a harbinger of doom is perhaps a bit off. I've been accused of panicking.... but I'm totally not. 

Crawfish boil was relatively small (15 folks) and we took precautions like standing 5-6 feet apart, no handshakes. Being outside helps a lot. Etc. 

Im not totally ready to lock down yet, and I'm an extremely social person.. so I cherry pick low risk spots and take precautions? Make sense? 
This highlights the difference in China and the USA.  In China they tested everywhere they needed to and basically figured out exactly where the virus was.  Strict quarantines were enforced in specific, targeted areas.

In the USA testing isn't happening, everyone thinks someone they know probably has it, the government isn't performing any targeted lockdowns, and now there are people (as you see in this thread) criticizing others for having small groups of less than 20 together.

This is going to be a massive cluster.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just talking with the wife about our elderly family members. Might be a coincidence but we just realized that she has a cousin (50s from WA) that died a week and a half ago from bronchitis and her friend‘s dad (80s from FL) that just passed around the same time from pneumonia. My dad, uncle and boss’ wife (all from OR) have all had pneumonia in the last month.  None were tested. 
this just jogged my memory.  about 2 months ago, i knew 3-4 people that had pneumonia.  including my boss.  at the time, i remember saying, "wtf, with all this pneumonia"   weird.

It could be like when I was screened for Hep C when getting a new biologic prescription. The testing showed I had the antibodies produced when I had been exposed to Hep C in the past, but my immune system fought it off without me getting the disease. So I tested positive even though I did not have, nor ever actually had the disease. Just exposure to it, which my immune system successfully fought off. 

I have no idea if the Corona tests work similarly.
There are blood tests for coronavirus antibodies and there are separate tests for RNA markers of the coronavirus in other bodily fluid (typically sputum and its precursors, mucus & saliva).

This highlights the difference in China and the USA.  In China they tested everywhere they needed to and basically figured out exactly where the virus was.  Strict quarantines were enforced in specific, targeted areas.

In the USA testing isn't happening, everyone thinks someone they know probably has it, the government isn't performing any targeted lockdowns, and now there are people (as you see in this thread) criticizing others for having small groups of less than 20 together.

This is going to be a massive cluster.  
To be fair I don't think Shuke was criticizing me... at least I didn't take it as such. I think he was just surprised I'm not locked down like Ham. 

I don't fault Ham one bit for locking down fully. I applaud it. We are just taking a slightly different approach. Still social but actively managing risk. Maybe 70% reduction in social outings. 

If we lived in a hotspot I think we probably would be far more locked down.  

Do you all think it’s reckless for me to meet up for one-on-one meetings with either dates or friends?  I recognize there’s some risk but it seems pretty small.
Personally, I think one-on-one meetings, especially outdoors, are OK. Hanging out on a back porch sipping beers, sitting 6 feet apart, not coughing or sneezing on each other, washing/sanitizing hands often? Should be fine.

Dates are riskier because of the likelihood of intimate contact (unless you mean 'friendly' dates).

I hear ya. 

i get that you're not panicking, but i agree with shuke.  seems odd and out of character(the character posting in here).   :shrug:   perception wise, you're definitely in the tinfoil hat group.  nothing wrong with it.  you helped a bunch of people beat the rush in the grocery stores.  no offense meant.

That’s why we need a national lock down now. People in this country will not do it on their own, too selfish. Force people to stay home, get the military involved to patrol the streets and impose heavy fines for those not complying. If you don’t think it’s gonna come to this soon, I think you’ve got your head in the sand. 
So how would people get food? How would people be able to pay bills? How would people get medicine? How would small companies stay in business?
A national lockdown wouldn't mean "100% no one leaves their house, ever!". Even in China's hardest-hit areas and during their strictest lockdowns, individual members of households could still get out and handle some business. The options for doing so were, of course, sharply curtailed.

Hate to stay it ... but the financial health of small companies isn't really going to be a consideration. Like human beings, some companies won't make it to the other side, and they will have to either be rebuilt afterwards or else other new companies will step into the abandoned niches. It will be a Darwinian experience for many.

• Sad
Just got done talking with my ex mother in law who watches our kids one day a week. Told her I didn’t think it was a great idea for her to watch the kids for awhile given my ex father in law is 80 years old. She laughed at me and started quoting the flu numbers and how this was a media conspiracy etc. I tell ya Rush should be taken off the air, dude is legit dangerous. I’m gonna have to protect her from herself. 

• Thanks
i get that you're not panicking, but i agree with shuke.  seems odd and out of character(the character posting in here).   :shrug:   perception wise, you're definitely in the tinfoil hat group.  nothing wrong with it.  you helped a bunch of people beat the rush in the grocery stores.  no offense meant.
:shrug:  I have said repeatedly I'm not a tinfoil hatter, not panicking... I'm just raising awareness of the potential severity, and a very vocal advocate of preparedness. 

I guarantee you a LOT (thousands? Tens of thousands?) of people have contracted COVID in those throngs of last minute shoppers this past week. I wanted to help FBGs avoid that. 

I think I read your updates but maybe not all - your first indication was upper respiratory issues?  Did you immediately start taking Mucinex?  What else did you take?  How long until your fever came on?  Did you ever get seen by a doc?
I need to find my day to day diary post and put a final update in.  It's probably 100 pages back by now.   

Mucinex was the primary help.  Cycled through legit pseudo stuff at times, the kind you have to use drivers license for.  

Ohio governor press conference at 3:00.  Local radio reporting he is shutting down bars and restaurants.  Could be rumor though 

Going out for a run, walk or ride seems like a great way to stay active and ward off cabin fever.  It's literally impossible to catch a virus while running alone unless you stop to pick up trash that you come across, which I assume you're not doing.
I just got done with a solo run.  Relieved to find out it was safe - should have checked in here first! ;)

Was just talking with the wife about our elderly family members. Might be a coincidence but we just realized that she has a cousin (50s from WA) that died a week and a half ago from bronchitis and her friend‘s dad (80s from FL) that just passed around the same time from pneumonia. My dad, uncle and boss’ wife (all from OR) have all had pneumonia in the last month.  None were tested. 
2 weeks ago my friend got real sick. He had a fever (no cough though). He tested negative for the flu but the doctor said it was likely a false negative since he was sure it was the flu. The flu was so bad, he took off 2 weeks of work as he just couldn't shake the fever. It makes you wonder. 

Attended church via Facebook live today. Strange times.
Did we ever hear from God on whether that officially counts on not?

Jennifer Epstein

@jeneps

New DC rules suspend standing in restaurants, bar seating, limit tables to six people. They also require tables be at least six feet apart and shut down all nightclubs and "multi-purpose facilities."

A national lockdown wouldn't mean "100% no one leaves their house, ever!". Even in China's hardest-hit areas and during their strictest lockdowns, individual members of households could still get out and handle some business. The options for doing so were, of course, sharply curtailed.

Hate to stay it ... but the financial health of small companies isn't really going to be a consideration. Like human beings, some companies won't make it to the other side, and they will have to either be rebuilt afterwards or else other new companies will step into the abandoned niches. It will be a Darwinian experience for many.
If this takes months and months to resolve, what should be done with people / families involved in the businesses? Should creditors be expected to let them miss loan payments because their income was suspended? Should they lose their houses because they can't open? If the businesses are sacrificing their livelihood for the health of others, should others sacrifice financially for the good of businesses? There will be plenty of people that companies can't pay to work from home and the government won't have provisions for. People will lose jobs or businesses will have to close. And if things are still locked down, people won't be able to go out and get new jobs, and they could lose their health insurance. Does that all fall under the category of OH WELL? Or should they all just file for bankruptcy?

:shrug:  I have said repeatedly I'm not a tinfoil hatter, not panicking... I'm just raising awareness of the potential severity, and a very vocal advocate of preparedness. 

I guarantee you a LOT (thousands? Tens of thousands?) of people have contracted COVID in those throngs of last minute shoppers this past week. I wanted to help FBGs avoid that. 
Again, I appreciate and mostly agree with your stance.  My wife was way ahead of the game and stocked us up before we went skiing on 3/1. 

I’m of the opinion that it’s been here for a while and a lot of people have had it and gotten over it.  

Not in Italy, though, right? Original comment was about "How were Italians still going to ski resorts if the 'country was shut down'?"
Most of the ski resorts in Vermont shut down last night indefinitely. Odds are ski season is over up north. 

If this takes months and months to resolve, what should be done with people / families involved in the businesses? Should creditors be expected to let them miss loan payments because their income was suspended? Should they lose their houses because they can't open? If the businesses are sacrificing their livelihood for the health of others, should others sacrifice financially for the good of businesses? There will be plenty of people that companies can't pay to work from home and the government won't have provisions for. People will lose jobs or businesses will have to close. And if things are still locked down, people won't be able to go out and get new jobs, and they could lose their health insurance. Does that all fall under the category of OH WELL? Or should they all just file for bankruptcy?
The House is trying to write and pass bills addressing things like this. Consensus is that some sort of UBI may be necessary, but who knows. Support for it might be easy to come by in the coming months. 

What are you guys doing if wfh isnt available and your work is not cancelling? I work downtown Houston...
For the past week or so, I've been mostly staying in my office, sitting away from other people in meetings without being weird about it, and washing my hands a lot.  That's easy for me to do because I have a private office and my job doesn't involve a lot of social interaction.  I think people who work in open offices are screwed.

Can you work from home readily? Can you practice social distancing (basically, keeping other people in public more than six feet away you at almost all times)? If yes to both, you can essentially self-quarantine with a few exceptions for grocery runs (early morning or late nights are best), maybe checking on loved ones, etc. Really, this is good practice for everyone in our town right now.
Already there! I appreciate the response.

And yes I can work at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the past week or so, I've been mostly staying in my office, sitting away from other people in meetings without being weird about it, and washing my hands a lot.  That's easy for me to do because I have a private office and my job doesn't involve a lot of social interaction.  I think people who work in open offices are screwed.
Yeah I work at a cubical around 3 other people in the same room who think this is a joke and constantly touch their eyes and face and don't wash their hands. The owners ar boomers who would be the ones most likely effected the worst is the ironic part.

Cuomo announced last night that there are 3 confirmed cases in Erie County, NY.  I work in a public school in Buffalo (Erie County). Buffalo closed schools for Monday 3-16 (for teachers to prepare take home work for students) but they are open Tuesday (full day for staff and students, for students to receive their take home materials). Re-evaluation of school status would take place Tuesday evening.

I think it’s a mistake that Cuomo didn’t close all schools, he has left it up to individual districts. I’m fairly certain Buffalo will close Tuesday evening for at least 2 weeks (this was hinted at in a press conference).

I work with pre-k kids in a Fee For Service  capacity. As everyone knows, schools are germ factories. I (57) regularly get sick at regular intervals during the school year. I just got 2 full facial sneezes this past Thursday and had a cold by Friday afternoon (with a bad cough too). I’m not worried it’s anything more than a cold.

Now trying to decide if I should go in for the single day (I’m assuming) Buffalo will be open. Especially since I’m also assuming most kids will be kept home or just parents will come in to get materials. Leaning against, but it’s more income I’ll lose. A multi week closure will cost me a few thousand dollars.

My wife’s place of employment (a German company) has not instituted mandatory WFH. She is still going in to work. International company with divisions in other states (MI) and lots of traveling employees. One of wife’s friends who works there returned from France a  few weeks ago and now has flu-like symptoms was not allowed to WFH.

Users who are viewing this thread