What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

Just as a personal anecdote - if today is any indication, social distancing is a thing of the past.

First really nice spring day, and everyone and their mother was out and about today. 
You can be out and about and still maintain social distancing. Were you seeing tight clusters of people?

Four Season Hotel in NYC will house Healthcare workers free of charge. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-coronavirus-four-seasons-hotel-20200325-w7tqorcd2zhgxopkd4l76rd5wm-story.html

Pegula Sports & Entertainment (owner of the Buffalo Bills & Buffalo Sabres  donate 1.2M

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-bills-donate-1-2m-community-aid-amid-covid-19-pandemic/

Roger Federer donates 1M

https://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/coronavirus-roger-federer-donates-generously-amid-coronavirus-crisis-2200646

Just to balance out the negative... a little.  

So this means it is 2.5 times more contagious than other viruses?  How are they calculating that?  What are those numbers based on?
On average an infected person infects 2.5 people but that is a guess.  Think they are saying some where between 2 and a little over 3 as an estimate and they won't know actual number for awhile.  For a frame of reference the flu is at 1.3 (some strains are a little higher) and the most infectious virus out there is R15 or so (Measles).

Schtick aside, how can anyone with a straight face claim that liquor stores are essential? 
See Prohibition.  People WILL get alcohol one way or another.  I'd prefer they stay open myself vs. all of the unintended consequences that could/would result by mandating their closure. ...but yes, it's odd and doesn't fit most "essential" definitions.

https://www.maricopa.gov/5460/Coronavirus-Disease-2019

Encouraging numbers in Maricopa county (Phoenix metro). Rising numbers of cases but only 28% of cases over 60 and no new hospitalizations. Testing is still limited but if they can keep it out of the retirement communities, it could keep us from being a hotspot.
Good. I'm in Chandler. We've been home except for walking the dog since last Tuesday. Debating whether to do another supply run and hunker down again. We have supplies but low on fresh foods and things like milk eggs etc. Better to go now before it ramps up?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can be out and about and still maintain social distancing. Were you seeing tight clusters of people?
Too many people out not to run into each other.  We have a nice walkable neighborhood.  But my desk faces out the front of our house, and its just a steady stream of families all afternoon.  We also have a lot of green space due to a closed golf course in the neighborhood (we bought the land so it can't be developed) - and kids are running/playing there in decent size clusters.

Yeah people shouldn’t necessarily get all bent out of shape by cars. I gave a buddy who takes about 4 drives a day because he just needs to get out. My Dad just likes to take a drive daily
Yup, and if five people who live in the same house want to drive around with the top down on a nice day, have at it. Save your sideway glances for actual aholes elsewhere.

One of the things I have not been able to reconcile is how the clusters that have caused many of the most severe cases seem to be isolated.  The Biogen meeting in Boston highlighted this, but the number of younger deaths among health care workers (when younger deaths are not that common statistically) also indicate there must be a "load" affect with this virus.  The Biogen meeting was not the only meetings that were going on all across the country with infected people in it I am sure.  A week ago the Biogen meeting had over 100 confirmed cases (at the time the Boston commonwealth only had 197 total).  The Biogen meeting only had 175 attendents....maybe I missed it but how did a ton of the hotel staff not get it if over 50% of the attendees got the virus?  And the younger medical people getting this all seem to indicate there is more going on in the transmission than we understand.

Future me is already angry. When this pandemic finally subsides, all the ####### idiots that kept on keeping on, are going to be obnoxious in their "see, I told you we would be fine. I was still partying the whole time." shtick. It is in spite of your idiocy, and because of people like me who avoided everyone, that we got this thing under control
Can't wait for the crazies on both ends of the spectrum to fight it out.  Those ignoring it versus those overreacting to it.  You took the first swing, I like it.

Preemptively taking credit for the outcome with regard to the entire human race is a serious power play.  

Schtick aside, how can anyone with a straight face claim that liquor stores are essential? 
I posted last week how I had thought all the liquor runs that people were talking about in this thread were schticky jokes.

By and large, they weren't. Seen the same on a few other boards with threads like this. For many, food, water, and alcohol are at about the same level of necessity. Can neither judge nor empathize.

In regards to liquor stores, why can’t people stock up like they do any other thing that’s going to be closed?

It’s just hard for me to believe that the government is too serious when they allow things like this to be open. Basically, if you don’t sell food, gas or home supplies, there’s no need to be open. 

Just my opinion. 

Good. I'm in Chandler. We've been home except for walking the dog since last Tuesday. Debating whether to do another supply run and hunker down again. We have supplies but low on fresh foods and thinks like milk eggs etc. Better to go now before it ramps up?
I’m in the west valley and the grocery store has slowed down significantly to the point you actually buy most things. I’d go today or tomorrow. I believe they got a bunch of tests at the beginning of the week, so results will probably come soon. I’m expecting the weekend will see an escalation of positives and a stay at home order.

This is true :lol:  

Also essential for state revenue, and alcoholics. Last thing we need right now is people jamming the emergency rooms due to alcohol detox.
Liquor stores are closed in my neck of the woods, and I didn't account for a now shut in 21 year old who likes to have a couple while gaming online into the wee hours with his similarly shut in 21 year old buds...

:(

I haven't been able to find a contagious rate compared to other viruses.  I see everywhere that it is very contagious but haven't seen how the rate compares to other viruses.  Anybody have that info?
Estimated at ~2.5 transmissions for each person who has it.  Compares to ~1.3 for the flu.

Yeah people shouldn’t necessarily get all bent out of shape by cars. I have a buddy who takes about 4 drives a day because he just needs to get out. My Dad just likes to take a drive daily
Yeah, drives are fine. But are those in each car in the same household is the question. 

Sobering podcast.  I should have opted for music as I went out on my run, but I stayed with corona.

The NYT writer was quite pessimistic.  Far too much for many on here (and that are in our communities) to deal with.  But his point was valid and true.  The hospitalization and deaths are coming over the next 2 weeks. Unavoidable.  

I think he was slightly too pessimistic in his ideas that people aren't taking this seriously.  The country has shut down far more than he gives it credit for.

But then, he's comparing what we are doing to what he thinks we should be doing.

What we should be doing stops the virus and we end up with what happened in Wuhan and China.

What we are doing slows the virus down, but by how much?  And how long can humans keep up this social distancing?

Basically, we missed the best-case scenario.  I thought we had a chance when those rumors about a federal quarantine were happening.  That would have been great.  Instead, a certain segment of this population now thinks the worst is over and is targeting Easter as the end date, which is going to subconsciously cause them to not take things quite as seriously.

But high death numbers are coming.  We are 1-2 weeks away from blowing past everyone in that category.  Then you'll see the real lockdown begin.  

MN governor just issued a "Stay at home" order.

Which is a lot like strenuously objecting, but okay.
My son -- a 21 year old who is a bit of a lunkhead in the way that many 21 year olds often are -- freaked when he heard about this, thinking that it meant that he was going to be literally trapped in Minneapolis.  When he watched the press conference and saw what it actually involved, he was like "Oh, so it's basically what we've been doing for two weeks already."

Can't wait for the crazies on both ends of the spectrum to fight it out.  Those ignoring it versus those overreacting to it.  You took the first swing, I like it.

Preemptively taking credit for the outcome with regard to the entire human race is a serious power play.  
😕

I am following the guidelines outloined by the CDC and the state of MN. I am not overreacting.

In APP order.  One of many "we don't need to see or touch you" commercials now airing.  This seems like an interesting new normal going forward.  Places advertising you don't need to see anyone or touch anything for service. 
This will significantly advance what fast food places have already been trying to get going, i.e. app ordering and payment.

Penguin said:
$5 an ounce?
I know I am ten+ pages behind but I have linked to this twice, hand sanitizer @ .35 an ounce by the gallon is still available here. It took 8 days for mine to arrive, a gallon of gel and a gallon of spray. I just ordered two more. I've been giving little spray bottles and mason jars with pumps to my extended family. I have given away toilet paper too. Note to the unwashed: Get bidet attachments for your toilets. I have three now. Never going back to filthy wiping. 

In APP order.  One of many "we don't need to see or touch you" commercials now airing.  This seems like an interesting new normal going forward.  Places advertising you don't need to see anyone or touch anything for service. 
But they are still touching your food. Hard to get around that part.

My son -- a 21 year old who is a bit of a lunkhead in the way that many 21 year olds often are -- freaked when he heard about this, thinking that it meant that he was going to be literally trapped in Minneapolis.  When he watched the press conference and saw what it actually involved, he was like "Oh, so it's basically what we've been doing for two weeks already."
Yeah - people here in MN have largely been doing things right. 

Who put it together and how often do they update it?
It's a great spreadsheet, but I'd absolutely love to have the ability to edit some of the variables. 

Still, it's sobering, to say the least.

The deaths so far isn't what's scary.  What's scary is the fact that there are THREE MILLION PEOPLE in the incubation stage, according to that sheet.  Then there are 850,000 people in the "pre-hospitalization" stage.

That being said, I think some of the variables are off and I'd love to edit them.  Might have to send it to an excel genius friend of mine and see if he could figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread