What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (22 Viewers)

California has been all over the place too.  Masks required to get into stores, but bars and restaurants are open and obviously no masks there.  Fast food joints are still to-go / drive through only.

Downtown Santa Barbara is doing it right.  They shut down State St. (the main drag through downtown) and turned it into a promenade.  You can walk down the middle of the street, and they have installed temporary fencing on the sidewalks / partially into the streets so bars and restaurants can offer outdoor seating.  It's going to be this way until September at least, and hoping they keep it this way... have a trip planned up there in early October and I'd be fine with things like that.  Mask up when you're walking around, mask off when you're eating.  Hand sanitizer on your person at all times.

I'm curious to see how the next 3-4 weeks go around here.  

Masks mandatory in these South Florida cities after coronavirus ‘spike’ Hospitalizations trending upward in Miami-Dade County

BREAKING: The mayors of seven Miami-Dade cities Monday announced new rules requiring people to wear face masks anywhere in public, a response to rising numbers of COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations — a measure they conceded will be tough to enforce.

I think a mask should be on my person when I'm outside, in case i come near someone,  but why should I wear a mask when I'm outside and 10 meters from the nearest person. 

Positive cases are way up, hospitizations are going up, but the use of ICU beds and ventilators is still low. These new cases are younger with less severe symptoms when hospitalized.

FIU created some good visualizations: https://rwilli5.github.io/MiamiCovidProject/Trajectory/

Masks mandatory in these South Florida cities after coronavirus ‘spike’ Hospitalizations trending upward in Miami-Dade County

BREAKING: The mayors of seven Miami-Dade cities Monday announced new rules requiring people to wear face masks anywhere in public, a response to rising numbers of COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations — a measure they conceded will be tough to enforce.

I think a mask should be on my person when I'm outside, in case i come near someone,  but why should I wear a mask when I'm outside and 10 meters from the nearest person. 

Positive cases are way up, hospitizations are going up, but the use of ICU beds and ventilators is still low. These new cases are younger with less severe symptoms when hospitalized.

FIU created some good visualizations: https://rwilli5.github.io/MiamiCovidProject/Trajectory/
They had a woman from FIU on "Florida Roundup" last week on NPR...absolutely killed it.  I just wish the people that needed to hear it listened to NPR...that's the rub...I'm not sure what preaching to the choir is going to do at this point.

Downtown Santa Barbara is doing it right.  They shut down State St. (the main drag through downtown) and turned it into a promenade.  You can walk down the middle of the street, and they have installed temporary fencing on the sidewalks / partially into the streets so bars and restaurants can offer outdoor seating.  It's going to be this way until September at least, and hoping they keep it this way...
My little town did the same!

New rumblings from South and Central Texas.

Increased hospitalizations, but the cases are generally not severe.  Still no worry about over running the hospitals but out of precaution may start limiting elective procedures and possibly a brief shut down in July.
What are you talking about? In Bexar County, in two weeks, ICU has gone from 43 to 133. People on ventilators have gone from 26 to 64. Hospitalizations overall from 96 to 406. I guess technically people in ICU have "only" gone up over 3x while hospitalizations have gone up 4x. But saying cases are not severe looking at those numbers sure seems disingenuous at best. Even the idiotic Governor had to acknowledge it today:

“Surely the public can understand if those spikes continue, additional measures are going to be necessary to maintain the health and wellbeing of Texans,” Abbott said. “If we were to experience another doubling over the next month, that would mean we are in an urgent situation where tougher actions will be required.”

Last edited by a moderator:
IvanKaramazov said:
Same here.  I can tell you from first-hand experience that I have gone to the gym in the past many, many times when I had a cold, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Our gym reopened back on June 1 and I haven't been once.  As long as the weather holds, I'm planning on just using the good old outdoors for as long as possible.  If it happens to be a rainy day, I'll take the unscheduled day off and roll with it.
Rainy days are for push-ups, sit-ups, planks, or squats.  Also if you need weights at home fill a backpack up with books or fill a jug up with water.  Plenty of good workouts can be done at home.

What are you talking about? In Bexar County, in two weeks, ICU has gone from 43 to 133. People on ventilators have gone from 26 to 64. Hospitalizations overall from 96 to 406. I guess technically people in ICU have "only" gone up over 3x while hospitalizations have gone up 4x. But saying cases are not severe looking at those numbers sure seems disingenuous at best. Even the idiotic Governor had to acknowledge it today:

“Surely the public can understand if those spikes continue, additional measures are going to be necessary to maintain the health and wellbeing of Texans,” Abbott said. “If we were to experience another doubling over the next month, that would mean we are in an urgent situation where tougher actions will be required.”
Doubling, tripling, quadrupling the tiny baseline we had.... makes for great headlines, but in fact those numbers empirically are not scary.  133 people in ICU simply isn't a big number.  406 hospitalizations simply isn't a threat to the system.  A blip, for now.

I'm in these hospitals everyday, I am relaying what the surgeons are saying... just as before.

It is notable that things have gone from zero concern to it being on their radar.  They are mostly worried about not being able to do elective procedures though, not so much the system being threatened.

DallasDMac said:
That's where my mom, about to turn 90, is. She rarely ventures out. My brother handles most of her groceries. But occasionally she needs something and needs to go out. I need to ask her what percentage of masks she is seeing.
Cleveland area here. In Cuyahoga county (Cleveland metro) I see a higher percentage of mask wearers.  Head west to Lorain county and I see much, much less. It is sad.  We have done a good job up until this point getting this under control here and I'm afraid it may fall apart.

Idaho has done a great job of opening using the federal guidelines. They went into Phase 4 a few weeks ago.

There has been an increase in cases in Ada County, which includes Boise, and it was just announced they are going back to Phase 3 which closes the bars.

Doubling, tripling, quadrupling the tiny baseline we had.... makes for great headlines, but in fact those numbers empirically are not scary.  133 people in ICU simply isn't a big number.  406 hospitalizations simply isn't a threat to the system.  A blip, for now.

I'm in these hospitals everyday, I am relaying what the surgeons are saying... just as before.

It is notable that things have gone from zero concern to it being on their radar.  They are mostly worried about not being able to do elective procedures though, not so much the system being threatened.
And just as before, you are getting your info from physicians who don’t care directly for COVID patients, with financial incentive to dismiss the severity of the pandemic. 

At least somebody is thinking proactively, as it sounds like your hospital admin are discussing reducing elective procedures.

Update, ICU tripled in a WEEK.

So the mayor,  hospital administrators and infectious disease head all say the growth is explosive, is starting to threaten our capacity , and that we are seeing more and more young people with sever symptoms, but you say it's ok. Hmm,  I think I'll go ahead and listen too those without a personal agenda. And training. And credentials. And knowledge. And...

Edit: You know what? I apologize. I don't want to get snarky about this. We disagree on the severity, and that may may be partially tied to our at risk factor. I just have to accept we are never going to agree and live with that.

Update, ICU tripled in a WEEK.

So the mayor,  hospital administrators and infectious disease head all say the growth is explosive, is starting to threaten our capacity , and that we are seeing more and more young people with sever symptoms, but you say it's ok. Hmm,  I think I'll go ahead and listen too those without a personal agenda. And training. And credentials. And knowledge. And...
And those that have the scariest things to say. 

And just as before, you are getting your info from physicians who don’t care directly for COVID patients, with financial incentive to dismiss the severity of the pandemic. 

At least somebody is thinking proactively, as it sounds like your hospital admin are discussing reducing elective procedures.
And just as before, you dismiss the downstream collateral damage.  We are still fighting to get through the backlog of patients that weren't able to get treatment from the first shutdown.  

Dismissing ESRD (among many many other disease states) because of COVID.  People needing hemodialysis access aren't getting it.  People aren't getting preventive treatment.

Idaho has done a great job of opening using the federal guidelines. They went into Phase 4 a few weeks ago.

There has been an increase in cases in Ada County, which includes Boise, and it was just announced they are going back to Phase 3 which closes the bars.
There seems to be a common theme with the bars. It’s not working. Not trying to pick on any one industry, but it seems like bars should remain closed.

And just as before, you dismiss the downstream collateral damage.  We are still fighting to get through the backlog of patients that weren't able to get treatment from the first shutdown.  

Dismissing ESRD (among many many other disease states) because of COVID.  People needing hemodialysis access aren't getting it.  People aren't getting preventive treatment.
You make a valid point above regarding the “Tripling, Quadrupling, etc” headlines that are great for grabbing attention but in many places like an ER a friend works in they were literally all cut back to minimal hours and the docs had to take out over $3MM in a PPP loan for them to survive. When you consider how slow these ER’s in many locations had become throwing around those headlines can be misleading. 

For the most part, people are wearing masks around here, but social distancing? No one must have learned basic math as a kid. It's a real life game of frogger
I’m in WI.  Barely anyone in my area wears masks.  

Although In Madison area there is a lot higher % of mask wearers.

seems to be county dependent.  Liberal areas = masks.  Conservative areas = very few masks. 

If @Mr Anonymous returns to this thread, I know he'll have some choice words for those who want it both ways -- everything opened up like February, but no face coverings either.

Those folks probably each want warm apple pie and a pony, too.
I still read the thread but the whole discussion just drives me nuts so I'm back to focusing on living my life. People talking about number of cases and not percent positives or hospitalizations was a real fun read for a couple weeks. Now what seems to be missed most often is the number of these new positives as people go back to work and are tested by their employer and how they're springing a positive without symptoms. That's a massively important piece of the puzzle. Now I'm already hearing rumblings about shutting down again over a mass load of asymptomatics. I just can't take it anymore. And that's not even discussing what you mentioned, and what I harped on since March, which is how simply this can be controlled if everyone just wears a friggin' mask. I'm just done.

I'm floored by the numerous reports in here of folks finding nobody in masks. In Virginia, you can't enter many businesses without masking. I went into a grocery store yesterday that not only had someone at the door enforcing masks, but they had giant buckets of cheap plastic gloves they were asking everyone to put on when they entered! Masking here approaches 100% except in restaurants...where all the severs stay masked and most tables are 6 feet apart.
Where are you located? I live near Lynchburg, and it's the exact opposite from my experience.

I’m not dismissing collateral damage. I understand surgeons need to earn a living, and some elective surgeries are more urgent than others. Regardless, the opinions of surgeons and medical device reps are far less valuable than those of ID clinicians, epidemiologists, hospitalist and ICU doctors wrt managing a pandemic.

It’s an odd role reversal, to be sure, as surgeons and proceduralists typically have disproportionate influence on hospital policy. But don’t mistake financial concerns for medical necessity, nor expertise relevant to balancing hospital resources during a crisis.

And I have no idea what you mean about ESRD - dialysis and urgent vascular access haven’t been interrupted locally. Perhaps you can link some data?

What is this "outside" you speak of?
Granted, in HI I’m spoiled with perfect weather year-round. But I still don’t understand why most people in most places can’t find a reasonably safe form of outdoor recreation to take their minds off bar hopping, eating out, gyms, professional sports, etc. All those things will be back eventually, and a little extra exercise isn’t going to kill you in the meantime.

I still read the thread but the whole discussion just drives me nuts so I'm back to focusing on living my life. People talking about number of cases and not percent positives or hospitalizations was a real fun read for a couple weeks. Now what seems to be missed most often is the number of these new positives as people go back to work and are tested by their employer and how they're springing a positive without symptoms. 
So our hospitalizations went up 479% in two weeks because we are testing more people?    :loco:

I’m not dismissing collateral damage. I understand surgeons need to earn a living, and some elective surgeries are more urgent than others. Regardless, the opinions of surgeons and medical device reps are far less valuable than those of ID clinicians, epidemiologists, hospitalist and ICU doctors wrt managing a pandemic.

It’s an odd role reversal, to be sure, as surgeons and proceduralists typically have disproportionate influence on hospital policy. But don’t mistake financial concerns for medical necessity, nor expertise relevant to balancing hospital resources during a crisis.

And I have no idea what you mean about ESRD - dialysis and urgent vascular access haven’t been interrupted locally. Perhaps you can link some data?
You again miss the point in your effort to dismiss me.  This game is easy to play right?

The opinions of my hospital staff and surgeons are far more valuable than a pharmacist's.  Unnecessary?  Agreed.

Our vascular access procedures (large enough to be representative) are down significantly.  In theory, these should never become "urgent".  You plan them out in advance, perform interventions to maintain patency, routinely see the patients to monitor for loss of function/infection/aneurysm/etc.  This isn't occurring right now in many cases.  Which is where the debate over what "urgent" means in the first place begins. 

But I think neither of us is really interested in the other at this point.  Have a good evening.

What is this "outside" you speak of?
Granted, in HI I’m spoiled with perfect weather year-round. But I still don’t understand why most people in most places can’t find a reasonably safe form of outdoor recreation to take their minds off bar hopping, eating out, gyms, professional sports, etc. All those things will be back eventually, and a little extra exercise isn’t going to kill you in the meantime.
Yeah, I was being somewhat sarcastic. We spend a lot of time outdoors playing in our yard, going for walks, picnics at a park, etc. But we live in suburbia where that's a lot easier. I imagine it's not as easy in areas with lots of high-rise apartments and no green space. 

You again miss the point in your effort to dismiss me.  This game is easy to play right?

The opinions of my hospital staff and surgeons are far more valuable than a pharmacist's.  Unnecessary?  Agreed.

Our vascular access procedures (large enough to be representative) are down significantly.  In theory, these should never become "urgent".  You plan them out in advance, perform interventions to maintain patency, routinely see the patients to monitor for loss of function/infection/aneurysm/etc.  This isn't occurring right now in many cases.  Which is where the debate over what "urgent" means in the first place begins. 

But I think neither of us is really interested in the other at this point.  Have a good evening.
Sorry, your anecdotal info doesn’t cut it. But I’m glad we agree some hospital staff have more valuable insight than others - surgeons are pretty low on that list.

Yeah, I was being somewhat sarcastic. We spend a lot of time outdoors playing in our yard, going for walks, picnics at a park, etc. But we live in suburbia where that's a lot easier. I imagine it's not as easy in areas with lots of high-rise apartments and no green space. 
Fair enough, but I wonder what % of people truly have no access to the outdoors vs. choosing to complain about activities that aren’t available or practical atm.

stbugs said:
Yep. I was unfortunately trying to “support” someone I probably shouldn’t have.

I should have stayed out of it. It’s truly just pure bad luck to know that many under 40.
It's all good and I'm sorry if I was out of line, been a tough few months here.

Went into Home Depot (MN) to grab a couple things at lunch.  Place was packed, as it’s been for the past three months every time I’ve been there.  I was floored at the amount of people not wearing a mask, to the point I decided to count how many customers I saw that were actually wearing a mask during my 15 minutes in the store.  

Two.  That’s it.  Two other customers out of at least a hundred people I saw were wearing a mask.  It’s just dumbfounding.  
We've had a state mask ordinance (VA) for a month or so, but anecdotally, home improvement and hardware stores have very few people wearing them compared to grocery stores. Maybe 10% wear them at Lowe's/Home Depot, and it's more like 75% at grocery stores. 

We've had a state mask ordinance (VA) for a month or so, but anecdotally, home improvement and hardware stores have very few people wearing them compared to grocery stores. Maybe 10% wear them at Lowe's/Home Depot, and it's more like 75% at grocery stores. 
I have seen this and attribute some of it to the fact that it is contractors running in and out of Lowe's and Home Depot? I could see a yard guy or a guy building a deck running in for parts, not even thinking about throwing on a mask due to being sweaty, hot, etc. But that is just based on very limited observations from a few quick pop ins. Not that I am saying any of that makes it right, I'm pretty sure it is fairly obvious where I stand on masks.

I have seen this and attribute some of it to the fact that it is contractors running in and out of Lowe's and Home Depot? I could see a yard guy or a guy building a deck running in for parts, not even thinking about throwing on a mask due to being sweaty, hot, etc. But that is just based on very limited observations from a few quick pop ins. Not that I am saying any of that makes it right, I'm pretty sure it is fairly obvious where I stand on masks.
Oh definitely. There are a number of reasons why Lowe's/HD would be different.  And even on the inside, it's still a pretty open air environment. 

A combination of many factors, for sure.

Speaking of a "quick pop in", do most of you just keep a mask in the car? I keep them in each vehicle, so I don't have to think about it. 

So, how hard is it to get a test in my county?  Just go online, answer a few questions to determine your eligibility, then drive up to any local CVS pharmacy.  Sounds simple, right?  Well, you better lie like a dog if you want to be eligible.  I just listed myself as being 120 years old, as well as being a law enforcement officer who lives in a nursing home, and I still didn't qualify.  I had to say I was having symptoms, otherwise it was a no go.

Oh definitely. There are a number of reasons why Lowe's/HD would be different.  And even on the inside, it's still a pretty open air environment. 

Speaking of a "quick pop in", do most of you just keep a mask in the car? I keep them in each vehicle, so I don't have to think about it. 
Yup, masks in every car, but in my county (in CT) every single business requires one indoors.  Sure, not everyone wears their masks correctly all the time, but I have yet to see a single person without a mask indoors.  I just don't get how masks can be optional.  No shoes, no shirt, no dice!

I hang mine on the rearview mirror as soon as I get back into the car.  

Wow....so it's Michigan and Idaho that are paying attention to the guidelines?  Kudos to them.  Hope they don't get screwed by the rest of us.

Pretty balanced piece about Covid hospitalizations in Orlando. Cases are up, hospitalizations are rising but they still have room and ICU is a last resort. Patients are younger, cases generally aren't as severe and treatment has improved. 

Orlando Sentinel

Yes.  I also keep a couple of masks in my office -- I rarely need one, but I like having one around just in case.  This way I don't need to carry one around with me.

Users who are viewing this thread