What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (20 Viewers)

Maybe a couple months ago when the advice was to not do this. At this point, and for at least the past month, I can't think of anyone that has been criticized for going to an outdoor small gathering sans mask

How are you certain all the partygoers know their risk? What about the people they regularly contact after the party?

Do you believe the elderly partygoers have a high risk of complications if they contract COVID?

I’m not trying to give you a hard time, really just trying to understand your perspective.

This is where I think we are disconnected...how are any of those activities different then going to a soiree with family & friends?

You definitely can’t be responsible for everyone. I’m just having a hard time wrapping my head around why you take more precautions around strangers than the people you care about. In addition to assuming they’re well informed on all things COVID, it appears you believe they have a lower risk of contracting/suffering from the virus than the general population. 

Makes sense, but I still don’t understand why you won’t wear a mask around them, given you seem to believe masks do something to limit SARS-CoV-2 transmission.

I'm not sure the risk is that much different but you do you  :thumbup:

I'm not trying to play mask police. I'd wear a mask to either.

Different masks, and different risk associated with doctoring vs. party going.

But let’s assume there is a small risk reduction for the individual wearing the mask. Why not wear one to protect yourself and your loved ones if you engage in a high risk activity?

I don't know, I'd be even extra cautious around loved ones. I couldn't imagine throwing a party that ended with multiple friends and family members having to be hospitalized, or worse, soon after

How about having it say "Mask required at all times"?

To each his own I guess, but I have a large, close family and we collectively decided there is not one event that important that we can't postpone or celebrate later. In the past couple months, there have been one wedding cancelled, multiple 1 year old birthday parties not thrown (at least for the whole family), and one virtual graduation. My girls are celebrating huge birthdays next month--one turning 16 and one turning 21--they both didn't want a party because in my oldest's words "it just isn't worth the risk."  We all are going to stay safe and have a huge celebration down the road.

I mean yes we are going to tell people at the party that I’m now symptomatic. But I’m not confirmed. And I won’t know till next Friday. 

What are they supposed to do with that info?  

I don’t think the advice is to quarantine if you’ve been around someone who’s symptomatic and/or tested positive but you yourself are not symptomatic. 

This is like 6 degrees of COVID Bacon. 
If they have had direct exposure to someone that is displaying symptoms now, then the prudent course is to isolate until test results come in.

One of our good friends found out their younger kid was likely exposed last week - person that was in close proximity got sick and has tested positive. To be prudent, their entire family is going to quarantine for 14 days even though none of them has any symptoms - they let us know as their older son is part of the group of friends that will regularly go mountain biking together - very unlikely there was any exposure given the timing of the exposure and when they last went riding together, but they wanted to let anyone that they may have had any sort of contact with know to be safe. 

OK @shadyridr it seems I was mistaken. I guess I should have said that in general nearly everyone is OK with small outdoor gatherings these days. I know I am, and I was definitely on the "stay in your ####### house" a couple months ago.

CT just announced no new deaths for today.  Also, 78 positives from 12594 tests = 0.6% positivity.  And hospitalizations down 13 to 77.

Sadly, they also said they won't be providing daily reports on Saturdays and Sundays anymore.

When it happens back to back to back to back it feels like criticizing or piling on. JMO
Absolutely. Not trying to tell you what your opinion should be. I'm about as big of a proponent as there is of following guidelines so am likely well on the conservative side. I just didn't feel those were much in the way of in your face, "you are wrong" types of posts.

Absolutely. Not trying to tell you what your opinion should be. I'm about as big of a proponent as there is of following guidelines so am likely well on the conservative side. I just didn't feel those were much in the way of in your face, "you are wrong" types of posts.
Yeah, it wasn't "attacking" More like hoping a fellow FBG would take more precautions to stay safe.

OK @shadyridr it seems I was mistaken. I guess I should have said that in general nearly everyone is OK with small outdoor gatherings these days. I know I am, and I was definitely on the "stay in your ####### house" a couple months ago.
Looking at the quotes shadyridr pulled ... that didn't look like they were talking about a "small outdoor gathering". I guess there could be a "No True Scotsman" thing going on ... one person's "small outdoor gathering" could be another person's "wall-to-wall corona-fest."

Looking at the quotes shadyridr pulled ... that didn't look like they were talking about a "small outdoor gathering". I guess there could be a "No True Scotsman" thing going on ... one person's "small outdoor gathering" could be another person's "wall-to-wall corona-fest."
Was in response to this:

I've been to my Dad's house on both Memorial Day and Father's Day. Nobody wore masks and he invited us.

Been to a friend's child's birthday party last week. No masks. Even the grandparents there weren't wearing masks.

A party this upcoming Saturday for a cousin's child's birthday party. 30+ invited. Doubt anyone will be wearing masks. 

And we are throwing a graduation/birthday party for my son next Friday night. About 20 people.

Its DEFINITELY a risk. One we and every single person who attended these parties was and is willing to take.

Social gatherings are allowed :shrug:

themeanmachine said:
Doug B said:
Has any localized COVID outbreak or superspreader event -- anywhere in the world -- been conclusively traced back to any outdoor activity?

I was wondering about the annual Hajj in Mecca, Saudi Arabia set to begin on July 28th ... but travel restrictions have led to a de facto cancellation for this year.
I think a soccer match in Italy was one of their initial super-spreading events.  But cold weather + people jam packed together screaming for hours does seem like a bad combo for spreading, not a typical outdoor event.
That was a February 19th Champions League game, Valencia at Atalanta in Milan.

With a professional sports event in a large stadium (San Siro in Milan is Italy's largest soccer venue), you have to consider choke points where people crowd -- concourses, entrance/exits, concessions, restrooms. For the players, it's similar with tunnels and locker rooms.

Something else about San Siro stadium -- it's undergoing a renovation to add a partial roof, similar to what Texas Stadium near Dallas had in the past. San Siro's roof had been under construction, so at the time of the game, there were girders, scaffolding, and other structural elements acting collectively as something of a windbreak and likely keeping the air inside of the stadium more static than it would ordinarily be.

Even given the roof-construction considerations ... I would bet more fans caught the virus at the stadium's choke points than they did in their seats.

Was in response to this:

I've been to my Dad's house on both Memorial Day and Father's Day. Nobody wore masks and he invited us.

Been to a friend's child's birthday party last week. No masks. Even the grandparents there weren't wearing masks.

A party this upcoming Saturday for a cousin's child's birthday party. 30+ invited. Doubt anyone will be wearing masks. 

And we are throwing a graduation/birthday party for my son next Friday night. About 20 people.

Its DEFINITELY a risk. One we and every single person who attended these parties was and is willing to take.

Social gatherings are allowed :shrug:
Like I asked rhetorically ... what's a "small gathering"? Those mostly sound like "large gatherings" to me except maybe the stuff at jobarules' Dad's house (I don't know how big his family is).

Also can't tell whether or not jobarules' events were exclusively outdoors, and in the open air (e.g. no grouping under an awning, covered patio, or an open garage).

Something else specifically regarding joba's events -- he held them in the NYC area, where the background level of cases has likely been "Europe low" for a while now. Just as a mathematical exercise, it was probably somewhat safer for joba's crew to have those kinds of events than it would be for people in active hotspots.

Like I asked rhetorically ... what's a "small gathering"? Those mostly sound like "large gatherings" to me except maybe the stuff at jobarules' Dad's house (I don't know how big his family is).

Also can't tell whether or not jobarules' events were exclusively outdoors, and in the open air (e.g. no grouping under an awning, covered patio, or an open garage).

Something else specifically regarding joba's events -- he held them in the NYC area, where the background level of cases has likely been "Europe low" for a while now. Just as a mathematical exercise, it was probably somewhat safer for joba's crew to have those kinds of events than it would be for people in active hotspots.
I take it on good authority that the gatherings were 10-20 people and all outdoors. One of the gatherings was 30+ people and it was raining so jobarules didn't feel comfortable indoors with that many people and didn't go.

With a professional sports event in a large stadium (San Siro in Milan is Italy's largest soccer venue), you have to consider choke points where people crowd -- concourses, entrance/exits, concessions, restrooms. For the players, it's similar with tunnels and locker rooms.

Something else about San Siro stadium -- it's undergoing a renovation to add a partial roof, similar to what Texas Stadium near Dallas had in the past. San Siro's roof had been under construction, so at the time of the game, there were girders, scaffolding, and other structural elements acting collectively as something of a windbreak and likely keeping the air inside of the stadium more static than it would ordinarily be.

Even given the roof-construction considerations ... I would bet more fans caught the virus at the stadium's choke points than they did in their seats.
I just saw a game there in the fall.  The seats are tight together.  Very little room between rows.  Concessions aren't that big in European football matches other than beers at halftime and before the match.  However, they are strict about looking at tickets and verifying no weapons, so there were certainly choke points getting into the stadium area as well.

Most of what he quoted seemed way more of the "offering their opinion" variety than of the "criticizing" variety.
Agreed. Perhaps "attack" was simply a poor choice of words or hyperbole? 

People on these boards will attack you for not wearing a mask at a small outdoor gathering.

That seems like the most reasonable idea. Similar to beaches being open but masks being required on the concourse. It's not the open air areas that are problematic, it's the congested areas with less airflow.

I take it on good authority that the gatherings were 10-20 people and all outdoors. One of the gatherings was 30+ people and it was raining so jobarules didn't feel comfortable indoors with that many people and didn't go.
Its almost like you and Joba know each other.... Like you're twins or have ESPN or something. 

Miami's 2,000+ bed public Jackson Health System, reporting 315 inpatients  who have tested positivefor COVID-19. Three weeks ago, the numbers were decreasing and had plateaued around 100. The patients have less severe symptoms and are  staying fewer days than in April and May. But this exponential increase is not sustainable much longer. Here are the daily numbers of COVID-19+ inpatients at Jackson from the last 25 days, most recent days first:

375, 329, 327, 323, 345, 334, 301, 303, 315, 299, 265, 244, 219, 223, 207, 211, 217, 210, 196, 182, 157, 153, 154, 144, 142, 137, 129, 120, 104, 100, 101, 105, 104.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacksonHealth?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Hospitalizations and ICU use going up across the county and state. Deaths are holding steady at a 7-day moving average of about 40. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/olivierlacan/status/1278759141910228992

https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1278742341843660801
An update to the COVID-19 inpatient census at Jackson Health on July 10. The current trend is not sustainable. More staff is needed for COVID patients, partly due to PPE issues,  which is why DeSantis sent 100 nurses and other staff to Jackson a few days ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacksonHealth/status/1281684376246317056?cxt=HHwWgMCjhcnJuskjAAAA

Don't always assume it takes govt. intervention for people to do the right thing.  There are good people that don't need to be told what to do.   
Maybe, but (apparently) not when it comes to limiting the spread of COVID19 in the United States right now.  Poor actors can have a disproportionate negative affect on others. 

So if you knew you were around someone who later tested positive but you yourself have no symptoms would you act any differently than you are currently?
Absolutely.  Asymptomatic spread is a major issue.

Maybe, but (apparently) not when it comes to limiting the spread of COVID19 in the United States right now.  Poor actors can have a disproportionate negative affect on others. 

Absolutely.  Asymptomatic spread is a major issue.
Paraphrasing a doctor’s advise to Cuomo when he was sick - think positive. Not a positive attitude but think about how you would behavior around other people if you knew you were positive. Likewise think about how you would interact with someone else if they were positive. That’s how we need to be living our lives now especially if you’re in a hotspot.

If you have good suspicion that you might be positive, you should be reaching out to others you may have exposed so that they can act appropriately - watch for symptoms, restrict activities, etc. But the reality in a hotspot is everyone likely has potential exposure on a daily basis.

**Bunch of quotes suggesting other posters were attacking jobarules**
Sorry to ruin your gotcha! moment, but this is this original quote that garnered those responses:

I've been to several peoples houses for Memorial Day, birthdays, graduations, Fathers Day. Both friends and family. All parties mostly outdoors. No masks. Never even dawned on me to wear masks at a family members house. I think they are pointless to wear at parties where everyone is congregating, talking, and touching the same things for a few hours. I wear masks in public when shopping though.
(S)he wasn’t referring to a single, small outdoor gathering. And this occurred somewhere in/around NY in June.

Multiple parties. Mostly outdoors. Both friends and family. Never wearing a mask. Congregating, talking, touching the same things for a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to ruin your gotcha! moment, but this is this original quote that garnered those responses:

(S)he wasn’t referring to a single, small outdoor gathering. And this occurred somewhere in/around NY in June.

Multiple parties. Mostly outdoors. Both friends and family. Never wearing a mask. Congregating, talking, touching the same things for a few hours.
Just FYI - they are the same person.  I have no take on the rest of your point.

The part where our corporations are asking people to travel to outbreak areas for business.
Gotcha. I have to take the blame on that. My employer left it up to my discretion but I’m in sales and business development and had this trip planned weeks before Phoenix became a hotspot.  Other people who were traveling into the meeting all decided to keep the trip planned. I could have chosen not to go but it may have materially impacted the growth of the company that is currently in need of continued sales. So to be fair it’s more on me than anyone else.

San Antonio now down to 10% of beds available. Also lost a teenager to the virus. Fiesta, which had been moved to November, already cancelled. We aren't even trying to kid ourselves at this point.

Gotcha. I have to take the blame on that. My employer left it up to my discretion but I’m in sales and business development and had this trip planned weeks before Phoenix became a hotspot.  Other people who were traveling into the meeting all decided to keep the trip planned. I could have chosen not to go but it may have materially impacted the growth of the company that is currently in need of continued sales. So to be fair it’s more on me than anyone else.
That's really sad. I know there are lots of companies and situations like this going on all the time. But my point is that we are trying to act as if things are normal, and business can run as normal.  We aren't in a normal situation and business practices need to change and adapt. 

We didn't lock down hard enough. We didn't restrict movement enough, and we certainly opened up too early and/or too quickly.  We weren't willing to put in the hard work and make the hard choices.  And because we had the liberty to make choices like the one you describe, we are seeing skyrocketing case numbers and crazy high positivity rates.

What is the point? You are horrible at making points. Not really sure how your post disproves anything I said.

The point is you and your alias weren’t attending an isolated, outside gathering with just a few people, so stop giving the impression people were judging you for doing so.
When did I ever say people were judging me for attending an isolated, outdoor gathering. Mr Roboto said he attended an outdoor gathering of 15 people. I attended outdoor gatherings of 10-20 people. YEAH TOTALLY DIFFERENT 

Users who are viewing this thread