What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

JerseyToughGuys said:
was talking about the pandemic prevention guideline posted above:

That's the generic flu recommendation. I don't believe there is one for the coronavirus. Too soon? dunno.
:blowsout:   Yes.  The CDC has said they are in the process of adapting these guidelines for the coronavirus.   In the meantime they are directing the public to these guidelines.   I've quoted the statement where they said that and provided a link.   

beer 30 said:
This one (jvdesign12324 or whatever, not you) paints with a broad brush.

By the time they need it, full on panic buying will occur in the areas that are effected. 98% of the population is not proactive such as yourself, your cohort and ham. The rest of us go to the store, sometimes daily for the their sustenance and will only become aware of an issue when their go to frozen meal shelf is empty and there is no ice cream left.

Good on you and the crew for thinking ahead. I told the wife last night we should look to stock up on some things for the future based on the information from this thread because I think it will get much worse before it gets better. But more so to avoid being in public and mitigating the panic buying I know will occur than thinking we are heading for armageddon (not saying you are). I live in SC and they routinely clear the shelves for a dusting of snow, the hint of a hurricane and any number of other stupid reasons. I just don't want to go without Twizzlers for months on end.
Note to self: beat @beer 30 to the store for twizzlers.

I had this problem yesterday around the two weeks thing, it wasn't obvious to me that what was quoted as the "GET TWO WEEKS OF FOOD" was really new information or somewhere to point to that was more generic.  I'm still not sure.  

Great website guys, really. :rolleyes:

belljr said:
CDC believes at this time that symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. This is based on what has been seen previously as the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses

Literally on the website
Right!

I had this problem yesterday around the two weeks thing, it wasn't obvious to me that what was quoted as the "GET TWO WEEKS OF FOOD" was really new information or somewhere to point to that was more generic.  I'm still not sure.  

Pretty sure its generic but we've mixed in the two week incubation info at this point and waaaa laaas, we are all CDC egspurts

JerseyToughGuys said:
For the guys on the leading edge of this stuff, do we trust the CDC or do we not trust them? 

When they say "little evidence supports the use of face masks by well persons in community settings," do we believe them are they conspiring to keep all the masks for themselves? 
What do we do with this? Disregard the CDC's findings and get / use them because what can it hurt? 

Last edited by a moderator:
-fish- said:
Department of Homeland Security also has a page for preparing for a pandemic.

https://www.ready.gov/pandemic.  Most of it is common sense.   First recommendation is two weeks food and water.

Before a Pandemic

Store a two week supply of water and food.

Periodically check your regular prescription drugs to ensure a continuous supply in your home.

Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.

Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records from doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and other sources and store them, for personal reference. Get help accessing electronic health records.

Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.

During a Pandemic

Limit the Spread of Germs and Prevent Infection

Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.

Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.

Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
why is it every time this gets posted and I'm reading it, I find myself scratching my nose or rubbing my eye or something?  :wall:

-fish- said:
Doug B said:
JerseyToughGuys said:
More accurate, I believe it’s the generic response that also covers natural disasters.
I saw that page, too. Found it on my own ... no one linked to it.
You're looking for this:  https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/rr/rr6601a1.htm
That link is to the CDC's white paper titled "Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza — United States, 2017". If that's the basis of what they want the public to do ... that's got to be distilled WAY down.

Search for the word "food" on that page. It appears once:

"Coordinating with local partners to support households complying with voluntary home quarantine (e.g., providing necessary food and supplies)"

I searched that document for "food" to find the specific direction concerning "two weeks of food and water". Nowhere to be found on that page. Search "two weeks" and "14 days"? Nada.

That's a problem because you can't rely on "common sense". You also can't rely on people reading complicated Document A, having to reference complicated Document B, which makes no sense unless you already have knowledge of Document C, etc. Too diffuse, too indirect.

That link is to the CDC's white paper titled "Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza — United States, 2017". If that's the basis of what they want the public to do ... that's got to be distilled WAY down.

Search for the word "food" on that page. It appears once:

"Coordinating with local partners to support households complying with voluntary home quarantine (e.g., providing necessary food and supplies)"

I searched that document for "food" to find the specific direction concerning "two weeks of food and water". Nowhere to be found on that page. Search "two weeks" and "14 days"? Nada.

That's a problem because you can't rely on "common sense". You also can't rely on people reading complicated Document A, having to reference complicated Document B, which makes no sense unless you already have knowledge of Document C, etc. Too diffuse, too indirect.
Heck, I am still trying to figure out which parts of the CDC stuff we like and which parts we don't like.

Likes include: 14 days food / water, self quarantine

Dislikes include: data suggests masks are largely useless for well people in public settings

Seconded.

You want people to do something, tell them to do it. In as few words as possible.

What do we do with this? Disregard the CDC's findings and get / use them because what can it hurt? 
If you look on the portion of the CDC site for health care providers relating to coronavirus, they emphasize the importance of using masks and eye protection to prevent the spread of disease.   Guess we're not supposed to click over there.

AAABatteries said:
I’m getting some supplies later but not because I’m worried about getting the virus but rather I don’t usually have supplies on hand and if the announcement about a chance of snow is any indication there will be a run on food and water and I may be SOL.
:goodposting: Went to Costco this morning for exactly this reason.  Just got food since I don’t usually keep much around, and also disinfecting wipes since I’m going to be on a lot of planes in the next couple of months.

Conclusion:

As of Wednesday 2/26/2020 ... the CDC has not publicly recommended that U.S. citizens presently stockpile two weeks of food and water specifically in response to current COVID-19 conditions in the United States.

That recommendation may yet come. The two-weeks thing may be a smart measure that will save you headaches in the near future. But it's not yet an express recommendation from the CDC. Maybe it's close to being one. Maybe it's all but. But it's not.

If you look on the portion of the CDC site for health care providers relating to coronavirus, they emphasize the importance of using masks and eye protection to prevent the spread of disease.   Guess we're not supposed to click over there.
His point seems to be that the recommendations are all over the place.

Conclusion:

As of Wednesday 2/26/2020 ... the CDC has not publicly recommended that U.S. citizens presently stockpile two weeks of food and water specifically in response to current COVID-19 conditions in the United States.

That recommendation may yet come. The two-weeks thing may be a smart measure that will save you headaches in the near future. But it's not yet an express recommendation from the CDC. Maybe it's close to being one. Maybe it's all but. But it's not.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

Closest i can find is to prepare for school closures and telecommuting. It refers to pandemic planning document as well. 

Richard Engel

@RichardEngel

Top virologist working on the coronavirus's genetic code told me people who get covid-19 and recover build up resistance to it. Children seem to be quite resilient. Danger is to the elderly. Mortality rate (especially over 80yrs) is higher than overcall average.

1:47 PM · Feb 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Went to CVS and restocked for what I feel would be our next two years of cold medicine needs.  With the following additional steps:

• Got additional nasal flushing solution more than would otherwise need.
  • Got Walter White amount of pseudo.
People were there doing the same types of things I was, multiple people came in looking for masks.  Same response given to all, they can't keep them in stock.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

Closest i can find is to prepare for school closures and telecommuting. It refers to pandemic planning document as well. 
Yes, I read this earlier -- I thought this transcript of today's press conference was what Fish was talking about. Here's a direct quote from that link:

"To illustrate how this works, I’d like to share with you some of the specific recommendations made in the document I mentioned last Friday including some of the steps we would take here if needed.  This document is called Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza United States 2017."

"... some of the steps we would take if needed." "Would take". Not a recommendation.

Azar refuses to promise a coronavirus vaccine will be affordable for anyone:

"We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can't control that price, because we need the private sector to invest.. Price controls won't get us there."

:lmao:  Christ. We live in some dark times. 

I may be asking a dumb question or one that has been answered already but why am I storing water - is my tap water going to be contaminated or is this for people who can’t drink their tap water?
Depends on where your water comes from.  If you need personnel to run the equipment that pumps water to you, what happens if they are all out sick?

"We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can't control that price, because we need the private sector to invest.. Price controls won't get us there."

That guy has not been impressive so far. Curious about his background.

I may be asking a dumb question or one that has been answered already but why am I storing water - is my tap water going to be contaminated or is this for people who can’t drink their tap water?
You don't. People are crazy. Its good to have some food in case supermarkets are closed. 

What are some good food items to buy? Canned goods, rice, pasta...

Says the guy who just bought two years worth of cold meds?
#### won't expire for three.  I went for expy dates of 2022 where I could find them.  Stayed away from gel tabs that had quick expy.

Got two school age kids, we go thru this stuff like a smack addict.  

This is the same issue as antivirals.  People keep saying things like, "remdesivir looks like it will be effective, so it's not a big deal."   They're not going to give it away.   That stuff is expensive now, and if it turns out to be the silver bullet for this, it's just going to get more expensive.    Hopefully there's something to the chloroquinine.  That's cheap.

This is the same issue as antivirals.  People keep saying things like, "remdesivir looks like it will be effective, so it's not a big deal."   They're not going to give it away.   That stuff is expensive now, and if it turns out to be the silver bullet for this, it's just going to get more expensive.    Hopefully there's something to the chloroquinine.  That's cheap.
I don't buy it. Government will take it by force of need be.

belljr said:
CDC believes at this time that symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. This is based on what has been seen previously as the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses

Literally on the website
Some folks aren't very good at that Internet and readin stuff... Patience is key when dealing with those who need a little extra help.

I also appreciate how Iran doesn't even bother to count serious/critical cases -- everyone is either "mild symptoms" or "deceased" :(  

I also appreciate how Iran doesn't even bother to count serious/critical cases -- everyone is either "mild symptoms" or "deceased" :(  
My favorite was the health guy sweating through the press conference stating everything was fine. 

My guess is they assume that the government will be guilted  into subsidizing it. Wouldn't be the first time tax dollars were used to pick up a tab that went on to fatten a bunch of C suite wallets.

South Korea's critical-case rate is pretty incredible if even halfway accurate -- reporting 18 out of 1,261 cases. 98% of their cases don't even get to the serious/critical stage?

Users who are viewing this thread