What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help from gaming/computer nerds about a video card (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
My 1080Ti died under warranty.  This card is no longer made and they cannot give me direct replacement.  The warranty states direct replacement or equivalent.  They offered me 2080 gaming OC 8G as replacement.  This card according to online benchmarks is about 10% less than the original card.  I've asked for a 2080Ti which is about 30% better than the 1080Ti.  I even offered to pay the difference between the two cards to compensate for the improved performance.   They told me no:  We go by the replacement tier given by Nvidia. RTX2080 is an equivalent model to 1080ti.   I replied explaining this was not an equivalent card but the card closest in performance to the 1080Ti.  It is however weaker performance wise.

First off, is this considered an equivalent GPU? 

Should I accept this trade?

Is there any other recourse i have if they refuse to give me a better card  than the on offered?  The company is based in CA if that helps.

My 1080Ti died under warranty.  This card is no longer made and they cannot give me direct replacement.  The warranty states direct replacement or equivalent.  They offered me 2080 gaming OC 8G as replacement.  This card according to online benchmarks is about 10% less than the original card.  I've asked for a 2080Ti which is about 30% better than the 1080Ti.  I even offered to pay the difference between the two cards to compensate for the improved performance.   They told me no:  We go by the replacement tier given by Nvidia. RTX2080 is an equivalent model to 1080ti.   I replied explaining this was not an equivalent card but the card closest in performance to the 1080Ti.  It is however weaker performance wise.

First off, is this considered an equivalent GPU? 

Should I accept this trade?

Is there any other recourse i have if they refuse to give me a better card  than the on offered?  The company is based in CA if that helps.
If this is the case and that is actually the Nvidia listed replacement then I'm not sure you have a lot of recourse.  Are they planning on sending you a new card or the cost?

I bounced this off the guys at iRacing and got two answers so far, 

2080 Gaming OC (so it's a Gigabyte then) should be roughly 10% faster than a 1080Ti in most circumstances. In DX11 titles it should be at least equivalent to the 1080Ti.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_r...0_xt_red_dragon_review,14.html

They are about equal on performance little to worry about it is controlled by Nvidia the replacement equivelants I tried my sons 2080 and it performed a little better than my 1080ti, I don't think you have any option unless your location has better consumer protection laws than the rest of us.

I bounced this off the guys at iRacing and got two answers so far, 
It is strange because in their initial email the didnt just say "this is what you get"  it was more of "here is what we are offering".  Then i replied with my 2080Ti request and they came back with the "this is the Nvidia standard equivalent" reply.   He did then say Send me your original receipt and i will run your case by management.  Which i found odd.  The warranty does not cover or speak to purchase price only equivalent product.  I sent receipt explaining that the 2080's are known to be overpriced in the market and Nvidia even said as much when discussing pricing of the new 3080's coming out in 6 months.  

I did offer to sweeten the pot by paying a undetermined amount over and above the offered replacement card because of the big jump between the 1080Ti and the 2080Ti. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It is strange because in their initial email the didnt just say "this is what you get"  it was more of "here is what we are offering".  Then i replied with my 2080Ti request and they came back with the "this is the Nvidia standard equivalent" reply.   He did then say Send me your original receipt and i will run your case by management.  Which i found odd.  The warranty does not cover or speak to purchase price only equivalent product.  I sent receipt explaining that the 2080's are known to be overpriced in the market and Nvidia even said as much when discussing pricing of the new 3080's coming out in 6 months.  

I did offer to sweeten the pot by paying a undetermined amount over and above the offered replacement card because of the big jump between the 1080Ti and the 2080Ti. 
Yeah, in another upgrade thread over there. Most of the 1080Ti owners are waiting on the 3080's 

I think my son's video card went on his computer.  He's looking at a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 which are apparently sold out and unable to be delivered by Amazon until April 21.

Is that a good card to look at?  He wants a high performance card mostly for gaming.  

I think my son's video card went on his computer.  He's looking at a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 which are apparently sold out and unable to be delivered by Amazon until April 21.

Is that a good card to look at?  He wants a high performance card mostly for gaming.  
it really depends on the games he plays.   Frankly if it world is still here in July I'd wait and buy the next generation.

Seems more like a question relating to budget. I am not a huge gamer, but I still like nice things so I always try and buy at the optimal inflection point between price and power. Sure, I can always pay twice as much for a 10% improvement :shrug:  .  3 gig of video memory seems pretty low now if he plays modern games though. That is more of a budget card than a performance card at this point.

Edit: I got a GTX 1070 TI for $379 almost 1.5 years ago and it came with a free game and stuff, now they are $620 on newegg. Is that a recent uptick in price due to Corona Virus stuff?

Double edit: Amazon has more reasonable prices, for some reason newegg is sky high.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread