What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Voice in your Head (1 Viewer)

yes - but I dont "say"  - "I could go for a cheeseburger"   
i don't understand

how does this work for you?  

right now i'm thinking about running to Target quickly to grab a couple things.  my brain's narration was "i should really take this opportunity to run to Target while i have a window". 

do you not have those thoughts? do you just find yourself showing up at Target on a sort of auto-pilot? or do you envision items at Target, drive there and pick them off the shelf without a thought?

'tis w me - i've had songs in my head every moment since i can remember. my voice is that.
I wake up almost everyday with a song in my head.  Last year, it was almost always a Beatles song thanks to Krista.  I open this thread, even the first time, and Dream Police immediately starts playing.

Does anyone ever "mouth" the words they are hearing?  Like move your lips and no sound comes out, but you hear it in your head?   I do it rarely and wife has caught me once or twice.  Usually when someone has pissed me off.   :lmao:

i don't understand

right now i'm thinking about running to Target quickly to grab a couple things.  my brain's narration was "i should really take this opportunity to run to Target while i have a window". 

do you not have those thoughts? do you just find yourself showing up at Target on a sort of auto-pilot? or do you envision items at Target, drive there and pick them off the shelf without a thought?
:popcorn:  

i don't understand

I'm just a simple folk.....

Do I know what I need from target ?   Like yesterday I needed to get cold medicine for my kid.

I was watching TV.... I decided after a show to go drive to the store pickup my cold medicine and deodorant and leave...  I didnt have an inner monologue about doing it....

For people that don't have it, the best way to imagine it (if that's possible for you guys) would be to think about a TV show or a movie where the character is thinking about something and they play his voice in an echo-y sound.  His lips aren't moving, but his face is kind of reacting to the words he's thinking.  That's what we hear.  Just like in the movies.

I'm just a simple folk.....

Do I know what I need from target ?   Like yesterday I needed to get cold medicine for my kid.

I was watching TV.... I decided after a show to go drive to the store pickup my cold medicine and deodorant and leave...  I didnt have an inner monologue about doing it....
But what went on in your head to achieve this?  This is where our inner voice would be.  

I'll have a constant dialogue about things I need to remember, like what items do I need to buy from the store, or the printouts of all the nearby homes I need for an open house.  And then I walk out the door, and poof, they all vanish and I forget every ####### one of them.   :hot:

For people that don't have it, the best way to imagine it (if that's possible for you guys) would be to think about a TV show or a movie where the character is thinking about something and they play his voice in an echo-y sound.  His lips aren't moving, but his face is kind of reacting to the words he's thinking.  That's what we hear.  Just like in the movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc_2HDZHRU

But what went on in your head to achieve this?  This is where our inner voice would be.  
i just "felt" this is the time i wanted to go and my brain did the rest .... 

I mean if I'm out - i'll remember something i forgot, or to decide on something else etc but it kind of "just shows up" in my head

So my theory is - I'm getting dumber from all the head injuries OR I'm some untapped super genius....

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it's like having a radio station in my head that I can't turn off.  Sometimes -- like when I'm busy with something else -- it gets very quiet.  But when I'm running, or when I wake up at 3:00 a.m. and start thinking about my day, it drowns out everything else.  I've gone of 3+ hour runs with no headphones without getting bored with my internal monologue, especially when I have something on my mind.  My thoughts often take the form of an imaginary conversation where I'm explaining something to a third party, when literally what's taking place is that I'm explaining something to myself.

I'm with IS in the sense that I think it's bizarre and uncanny that other people don't have this experience.

i just "felt" this is the time i wanted to go and my brain did the rest .... 

I mean if I'm out - i'll remember something i forgot, or to decide on something else etc but it kind of "just shows up" in my head

So my theory is - I'm getting dumber from all the head injuries OR I'm some untapped super genius....
I don't think you're dumber.  Like it said, something like 15% of people are like you.  And it's just hard for both sides to understand how the other operate.  It's fascinating.  

For me, it's like having a radio station in my head that I can't turn off.  Sometimes -- like when I'm busy with something else -- it gets very quiet.  But when I'm running, or when I wake up at 3:00 a.m. and start thinking about my day, it drowns out everything else.  I've gone of 3+ hour runs with no headphones without getting bored with my internal monologue, especially when I have something on my mind.  My thoughts often take the form of an imaginary conversation where I'm explaining something to a third party, when literally what's taking place is that I'm explaining something to myself.

I'm with IS in the sense that I think it's bizarre and uncanny that other people don't have this experience.
no scthick - maybe why I get bored easily or "don't care" about a lot.... I'm just "surfacey"

And its not like I didnt have a great imagination when I was younger or anything

when I'm running..... it drowns out everything else.  I've gone of 3+ hour runs with no headphones without getting bored with my internal monologue, especially when I have something on my mind. 
:goodposting:

it's a great way to clear the decks after a stressful day.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
So, is this foreign to you? You can't relate to it at all?
As far as internal talks with myself?  yes.

I mean even right now - I want to have a "pep talk with myself" - I'll either actually talk out loud or visualize it...  I wont have an inner monologue

Again - inner voice was always my conscience....  Like if I was doing something wrong - Id feel weird about it, that something was telling me its wrong.... but I dont have "angel/devil" of myself talking.... I get the concept - I never actually thought people would "hear it"

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a required customer service class a couple of weeks ago.  I was hearing everything typed into the IM chat box with Curt Cobain's voice/tone/level of excitement in my head.  It was both mind numbing and entertaining.

I can literally be somewhere and be so deep in thought that my eyes are no longer seeing anything.  I'm talking to myself in my head and daydreaming to the point that I get snapped back into reality.  Meanwhile, I was narrating the story I was seeing in my head.  
this thread makes me think my kids are opposites in this regard

oldest definitely has the inner monologue. she often gets lost in thought and snaps out of it with a river of fascinating explanations.

my youngest just... talks.... all the time. she has not hidden anything. the tap is always turned on.

i also have a kind of synesthesia - i can tell if i like or dislike words or ideas (esp in lists - i can tell whether to play the Den or NE defense this wk by their 'color' in my head) by the aura my voice gives to them when it expresses them. anything?
nope, nothing for me like that. fascinating stuff

Like the person who wrote this article, I was unaware that there are people in this world who don't have a voice inside their head.  I can't even comprehend how that works.

Anyone here not have a voice inside their head?

LINK
TLDR. I'm guessing this is very rare. The voice in our head is what took us from hunter gatherers to modern civilization. Evolution would eliminate the lack of internal voice.

TLDR. I'm guessing this is very rare. The voice in our head is what took us from hunter gatherers to modern civilization. Evolution would eliminate the lack of internal voice.
Again, I believe they said about 15% of the population, but I could be wrong.

So I have a son that is high functioning aspergers.  

Non-aspergers can focus on the sound and conversation when we talk to someone, even if it's in a crowded bar, restaurant, or sporting event.  Most with aspergers can not.  They hear all the sounds and can't tune out the other noises.   They hear all the other conversations at the same level as the one they are having, which often over loads them and they act out in frustration. 

I can literally be somewhere and be so deep in thought that my eyes are no longer seeing anything.  I'm talking to myself in my head and daydreaming to the point that I get snapped back into reality.  Meanwhile, I was narrating the story I was seeing in my head.  
Oh, and the worst in when I do this in the car while driving.  And I'll have gone 10 miles and think to myself, "I don't remember any of that drive."  I'm just like on autopilot while I'm debating some irrelevant argument in my head.  :bag:

kul binns. the "fight-or-flight?" question probably is the parent of the "voice".

kul binns. the "fight-or-flight?" question probably is the parent of the "voice".
Not sure. It's interesting that the plot of Westworld for all these seasons revolves around the idea of the voice coming to the AI robots. Because until that happens, they are just robots following commands.

So I would be curious to ask someone without the voice how do you reflect on the past, how do you judge a situation, how do you think about the future? Fascinating really.

My intuition and thoughts are the voices in my head. I also have voices near me from time to time. One "person" at a time, man or woman, different races. They always say no more than 3 words. The freakiest was when I was getting ready to get up a "woman" said to me "no appointments. " And "she" was right. I had no medical appts that day. If these were inside me it'd be one thing, but it's like a couple feet away. Very eerie.

My intuition and thoughts are the voices in my head. I also have voices near me from time to time. One "person" at a time, man or woman, different races. They always say no more than 3 words. The freakiest was when I was getting ready to get up a "woman" said to me "no appointments. " And "she" was right. I had no medical appts that day. If these were inside me it'd be one thing, but it's like a couple feet away. Very eerie.
Umm... that's odd.  Are you a psychic? 

I wish. Usually it's something that doesn't apply to me. 
That sounds like a psychic medium.  They say that they can hear people.  I'm not saying you are or that they're real.  I'm just saying what you're describing is what people talk about on ghost shows and stuff.  :oldunsure:

That sounds like a psychic medium.  They say that they can hear people.  I'm not saying you are or that they're real.  I'm just saying what you're describing is what people talk about on ghost shows and stuff.  :oldunsure:
On those shows they call upon the spirits. For me I don't and if I try it doesn't work. It just strikes. 

Also, that article is like 6 paragraphs. :confused:
i read it.   Its more of a non scientific analogy.   I'd like to see wider numbers from actual studies on this phenomenon.   Until today, I had no idea that some people don't have an inner voice.  Mindblown

Sounds more like schizophrenia to me.  If the voices start telling you to hurt other people, check yourself in imo.

I definitely have one but i don't use it all the time.  It really depends.

When I'm reading i usually read at the pace that i can "say" the words in my head.  I can't just let my eyes touch the words and not "hear" them. 

If I'm thinking of something simple, like what I want for dinner, i don't usually imagine a conversation about it. I might think of a specific meal and imagine what it looks like or the name or both, so if i was thinking about buffalo wings, i wouldn't imagine hot flavor unless I was really day dreaming about it.  It would be more like imagining the restaurant where I'd pick some up, or what they actually look like, or thinking "i could get wings".  I might even imagine Chris Farley saying Tommy want wingy in his voice.  

If I'm doing a repetitive task I don't think anything aloud while doing it.  I might day dream but I don't have to. Sometimes I just lose myself in the moment and don't have anything going on up there.  It almost feels like it's not happening until i "snap back into it."  

A lot of times my brain is playing some random music I heard before and I tune it out for bits at a time.

When I'm typing, I've already finished the sentence I'm typing in my head while my fingers figure out how to make the keyboard make it happen.  I think I do the same thing while taking but it's almost the exact same speed - usually i don't plan what to say before saying it, I do it in a single action.  

Sometimes I'll change the sentence during the time it takes to get it written and that leads to weird things like switching from first person to third person or past tense to present tense.  

Sometimes i interact with the voice conversationally, like if i think of something funny I might imagine what i would say, or even who i might say it to, as words.  I don't always remember these things but I feel like it helps me next time i see that person to talk to them in the right way.  

Sometimes i see something i think my brother would have liked, then remember he's gone and stop myself for a minute, then go back to what i was doing.

I definitely have one but i don't use it all the time.  It really depends.

When I'm reading i usually read at the pace that i can "say" the words in my head.  I can't just let my eyes touch the words and not "hear" them. 

If I'm thinking of something simple, like what I want for dinner, i don't usually imagine a conversation about it. I might think of a specific meal and imagine what it looks like or the name or both, so if i was thinking about buffalo wings, i wouldn't imagine hot flavor unless I was really day dreaming about it.  It would be more like imagining the restaurant where I'd pick some up, or what they actually look like, or thinking "i could get wings".  I might even imagine Chris Farley saying Tommy want wingy in his voice.  

If I'm doing a repetitive task I don't think anything aloud while doing it.  I might day dream but I don't have to. Sometimes I just lose myself in the moment and don't have anything going on up there.  It almost feels like it's not happening until i "snap back into it."  

A lot of times my brain is playing some random music I heard before and I tune it out for bits at a time.

When I'm typing, I've already finished the sentence I'm typing in my head while my fingers figure out how to make the keyboard make it happen.  I think I do the same thing while taking but it's almost the exact same speed - usually i don't plan what to say before saying it, I do it in a single action.  

Sometimes I'll change the sentence during the time it takes to get it written and that leads to weird things like switching from first person to third person or past tense to present tense.  

Sometimes i interact with the voice conversationally, like if i think of something funny I might imagine what i would say, or even who i might say it to, as words.  I don't always remember these things but I feel like it helps me next time i see that person to talk to them in the right way.  

Sometimes i see something i think my brother would have liked, then remember he's gone and stop myself for a minute, then go back to what i was doing.
Yeah that’s normal and what I would consider your inner voice 

Users who are viewing this thread