What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Voice in your Head (3 Viewers)

Allow me to use this to take an informal poll. i've long thought that voice-in-the-head, talk-w-the-hands and drive-to-work-without-paying-attention are interconnected and indicate that we each have a Caliban, a task-related 2nd self. Jung called it the Shadow, but also animated it with sinister implication and subconscious baggage, as Freud did his bugaboos. I believe it to be the creature within which arose from us as animals to ask "fight or flight" and has become the translator of our lower brain functions.

Anyway, i'm curious to see the relationship between the visual acuity and volatilty of the voice and gesticulation levels, so....

1) how clear are your visualizations? 1=clearest- to-5=vaguest

2) how volatile is the voice in your head? 1=loudest-to-5=calmest (0 if you dont have one)

3) how much do you gesticulate? 1=waviest-to-5=stillest

ETA: i am a 3-2(only because i do exercises to keep it from being a 1)-1
1-5-5

also, if participants want to list any possible synesthetics in their thought processes. synesthesia is traditionally considered seeing colors in music, but i extend it to include color-coding or letter-shaping of the +/- attributes of words & concepts
I have grapheme-color synesthesia (I see letters, numbers, words in color). 

Wait.

I hear the words as I'm typing this. I hear words when I read. Both in my voice. But when I'm reacting to the world? No.

I might talk out loud to myself about "let's go get some lunch" but I wouldn't just hear that or anything if I don't say it out loud. Like if I pick up my coffee mug to have a drink I'm not saying/hearing anything about doing that -- I just do it. Is that unusual?

Thinking about this today, as I've been trying to learn how to meditate but my mind doesn't seem to want to.
People that don't have an inner voice must be able to meditate very easily.

Thinking about this today, as I've been trying to learn how to meditate but my mind doesn't seem to want to.
I have an inner voice, and I find meditation to be easy. It's a learned thing.

I kind of wonder if the people who say they don't have an inner voice just hear a sixty-cycle hum.

I have an inner voice, and I find meditation to be easy. It's a learned thing.

I kind of wonder if the people who say they don't have an inner voice just hear a sixty-cycle hum.
I get that its a learned thing but just guessing that those without an inner voice must have a much easier time to learn it. The biggest obstacle, at least for me, is to silence my inner voice.

Users who are viewing this thread