What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Voice in your Head (1 Viewer)

Interesting concept. I suspect this of my girlfriend after reading that Helen Keller was feral and had "nothing but urges and no way to plan ahead or comprehend existence." Definitely could picture my girl as being feral as a child. Hell. Possibly still yet just well adapted. Anyway, it's things like these that must remind us why we have to keep an open mind about others. And not judge them for being different. Because this little thing here - X versus Y - is very easy for us to grasp. Yet no one did or does. It never occurred to anyone on either side that another may experience life differently inside their heads. Now imagine more complex, complicated anomalies among people. I guarantee you that this article illustrates a very simple concept. Most likely there are still differences among us out there a million times more complex that we're all just walking around oblivious to every day. Now just imagine how much we'd all have to learn if we tended to embrace differences rather than shun them.. if we could see both sides of this coin. If we could see every side of every coin. It just takes an open mind and a demeanor that's accepting of others. As humans we already harbor severely remedial sensory perception, but just imagine the things we would be able to perceive if we simply cared enough to learn how.
HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

told me to plunk on JuicyStick at +480 to score last night. 

i whiffed

ETA: went with Hardman at +280. 

:ptts:

Last edited by a moderator:
“All my life, I could hear my voice in my head and speak in full sentences as if I was talking out loud.”

I’ve never had this. This is a thing?  Like you can hear someone taking to you? Isn’t that what causes people to murder and stuff?

Weird. 

It’s actually impossible to imagine not having the inner dialogue. I would love to see testing on these types of people. Are there IQ differences? Differences in brain development? Are certain types much more artistic? Do those without the voice struggle to read?
Honestly don’t think I have this. Like you hear someone randomly talking to you in your head?

Like, I’ve had the “pep talk” one — getting ready for a big game or big moment at a presentation at work and I think to myself “ok Otis, you got this, all you, knock em dead.”  But that’s sort of an intentional thing. Sounds like you guys have just like another person in there blabbing??  Like for real??

So, if you are thinking of something, can this voice interrupt you?
Great question.  Do you speak back to it?  Like, is it a conversation?  Will it respond to you?  Or is it just blabbering unresponsive nonsense all day?

Fascinating. This may explain why half the world is totally nuts. 

Great question.  Do you speak back to it?  Like, is it a conversation?  Will it respond to you?  Or is it just blabbering unresponsive nonsense all day?

Fascinating. This may explain why half the world is totally nuts. 
It's just you talking without opening your mouth.  It would be similar to saying things you see out loud.  But you do it inside your head.  I talk to myself all of the time in my head.  But we aren't two separate people.  Not usually.  

It's just you talking without opening your mouth.  It would be similar to saying things you see out loud.  But you do it inside your head.  I talk to myself all of the time in my head.  But we aren't two separate people.  Not usually.  
Maybe I do this and don’t realize it.  I don’t know. I don’t think so.

Let me ask you this — is it something so obvious that, if I do it, I’d be well aware I do it? 

Maybe I do this and don’t realize it.  I don’t know. I don’t think so.

Let me ask you this — is it something so obvious that, if I do it, I’d be well aware I do it? 
Hard to answer that for sure, but I'd think so.  I mean, it's literally me talking inside my head.  Like, I can hear it.  As I'm typing this, I'm thinking in my brain, "I'm pretty sure he should be able to hear it."  And I can hear it.  I just yelled in my head.  

Honestly don’t think I have this. Like you hear someone randomly talking to you in your head?

Like, I’ve had the “pep talk” one — getting ready for a big game or big moment at a presentation at work and I think to myself “ok Otis, you got this, all you, knock em dead.”  But that’s sort of an intentional thing. Sounds like you guys have just like another person in there blabbing??  Like for real??
I don't actually hear it, but it's just a running dialogue that I have with myself. It is definitely not another person, just my thoughts verbalized as if I was saying them. 

Seriously??
I mean I wouldn't say I actually hear a voice per se but my brain interprets it as if I am hearing spoken words - the same as when I think. Per the article some people visualize words in writing or think in the form of concept maps to makes decisions. I have a conversation in my head with myself when I try and figures something out. I don't hear the words out loud but my brain interprets it as if. 

I learned this a couple of years ago, and it blew my mind too.  I'm not an expert at all on this sort of thing, but I imagine that this difference probably explains why some people seem to think out loud in meetings (they can't process their thoughts internally) and I guess that this trait correlates pretty strongly with introversion/extroversion.  

I'm still trying to understand this. Is it just you thinking or is there an actual voice that you have no control over?

I'm still trying to understand this. Is it just you thinking or is there an actual voice that you have no control over?
No, it's you thinking.  You are hearing what you are thinking.  It's not like some wild voice that has its own personality that talks over you.  :lol:

So like if I'm sitting on the couch and I see a commercial for Pretzel Pop Tarts, I might think to myself, "Damn.  Those look good.  I should try to get some next time I'm out."  All in my head.

No, it's you thinking.  You are hearing what you are thinking.  It's not like some wild voice that has its own personality that talks over you.  :lol:

So like if I'm sitting on the couch and I see a commercial for Pretzel Pop Tarts, I might think to myself, "Damn.  Those look good.  I should try to get some next time I'm out."  All in my head.
Oh, ok.

So some people can't do that?

Oh, ok.

So some people can't do that?
Apparently.  It says a small percentage can't do that.  Instead, they see pictures and shapes and numbers or something.  I don't know.  Honestly, I don't know how you live without that voice.

What about the freaks that can't visualize things in their head?
when wife & i were house shopping, we'd walk in to a place and i'm thinking "nice, big private yard for grilling and it's fenced in so the dog can run.  2 bathrooms, nice.", etc.

and my wife would be talking non-stop telling me where every single item we currently owned would be placed. how it would look when we hung various pictures. how we'd paint this wall or that. remove this wall, re-arrange the cabinets,etc.

and i'm standing there slack-jawed like :shrug:  drives her nuts. when she thinks, it's in vivid pictures. like she claims to be able to see a notebook page from high school.. hard to imagine for me.

IIRC, Helen Keller said she was "feral" until she acquired language. Had nothing but urges, no way to plan ahead or comprehend existence. She had no inner monologue until she had words (not surprisingly, I guess)
This is interesting, because I always wondered if what went on in people's heads before a language was created.  But I guess she's a good example of what might have been happening.  

Apparently.  It says a small percentage can't do that.  Instead, they see pictures and shapes and numbers or something.  I don't know.  Honestly, I don't know how you live without that voice.
The article struck me because I do voiceover work and I can't imagine being able to do it without being able to hear it in your head first. Really weird.

when wife & i were house shopping, we'd walk in to a place and i'm thinking "nice, big private yard for grilling and it's fenced in so the dog can run.  2 bathrooms, nice.", etc.

and my wife would be talking non-stop telling me where every single item we currently owned would be placed. how it would look when we hung various pictures. how we'd paint this wall or that. remove this wall, re-arrange the cabinets,etc.

and i'm standing there slack-jawed like :shrug:  drives her nuts. when she thinks, it's in vivid pictures. like she claims to be able to see a notebook page from high school.. hard to imagine for me.
My memories are like that.  But not my thoughts.  And I if I can get two vivid memories that are near each other, I can usually fill in the gaps.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I dont hear a voice :shrug:   - I'm reading what you wrote and its just "blank".  I dont hear a voice, I don't "see" fancy pictures like The Beautiful Mind guy.  Its just words :unsure:

I dont hear a voice :shrug:   - I'm reading what you wrote and its just "blank".  I dont hear a voice, I don't "see" fancy pictures like The Beautiful Mind guy.  Its just words :unsure:
it's not a voice in that it's some random guy reading the words to you like Liev Schreiber.

it's just "hearing" the words that you're reading. sort of as if you were saying them out loud but the "voice" isn't external.

it's not a voice in that it's some random guy reading the words to you like Liev Schreiber.

it's just "hearing" the words that you're reading. sort of as if you were saying them out loud but the "voice" isn't external.
oh i get it.... i dont hear words

I'm not sure I understand this.

So debating, say,  where to go for lunch.  And in your mind you might think.."I'd like a salad but I really enjoyed the sandwich at whatever''s" 

Is this saying people don't do that? Or don't have that capability?  Is that what this is saying? Cause if true, well hell that blows my mind

I'm not sure I understand this.

So debating, say,  where to go for lunch.  And in your mind you might think.."I'd like a salad but I really enjoyed the sandwich at whatever''s" 

Is this saying people don't do that? Or don't have that capability?  Is that what this is saying? Cause if true, well hell that blows my mind
That's the impression I'm getting, that some people aren't able to do that.

That's the impression I'm getting, that some people aren't able to do that.
why do you need to?

Thats what confuses me...

Can you have multiple thoughts at once with the internal dialogue?

I think of multiple things at one time sometimes or figure out more than one "problem" at once

why do you need to?

Thats what confuses me...

Can you have multiple thoughts at once with the internal dialogue?

I think of multiple things at one time sometimes or figure out more than one "problem" at once
Can you think in your head "I could go for a cheeseburger"

Some people apparently can't

Life’s kinda getting out of control, I think. I don’t know if you agree with me..would you hand me that ashtray? What it is… I know you’ve heard the word a thousand times, It’s a rat race. I went through the contortions of hell, I have alcoholic seizures. Wind up in the hospital and everthing else. Now I’m sick and I’m shaking like a leaf. It was like silly puddy and they threw him in the car, the paddy wagon and beat him to death. I hit one of those and I knocked the front wheel off into outer space and I kinda got angry myself and I said, Have alot of guns. I like salad, I just had a nice salad. Baked potato, some cream cheese and chives.

Cannot fathom why many of you are making jokes about this.

THIS is a revelation I would never never thought possible.

How can you not have a voice in your head?

Like if I see a sexy woman walk by...in my head I might say  "Damn she's hot" 

Or maybe "Oh today is Tuesday, I better remember to take the garbage out"

There are people that can't do this?  ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Amazing. Me too. Never considered other people having or not having this.
i also have a kind of synesthesia - i can tell if i like or dislike words or ideas (esp in lists - i can tell whether to play the Den or NE defense this wk by their 'color' in my head) by the aura my voice gives to them when it expresses them. anything?

And I am really intrigued with this topic....
Me too.  So let me ask you this, if you are alone watching TV, and you see something on TV, what thoughts come across your mind?  Because for me, that's where I'd have the internal dialogue with myself.  Like someone else said, I might think to myself (literally), "Remember to take the garbage out later."  Or I might see someone on the screen and think, "Wow.  She's hot.  I wonder how old she is nowadays?"  I'm just curious to what your mind does in this situations.

Me too.  So let me ask you this, if you are alone watching TV, and you see something on TV, what thoughts come across your mind?  Because for me, that's where I'd have the internal dialogue with myself.  Like someone else said, I might think to myself (literally), "Remember to take the garbage out later."  Or I might see someone on the screen and think, "Wow.  She's hot.  I wonder how old she is nowadays?"  I'm just curious to what your mind does in this situations.
It is maddening to me that there are people who dont do this.

Well if I'm alone... sometimes I'll say man she's hot out loud!!!! To no one.

But generally the thought will just "pop into my head" and it's there. Maybe I'm a mute internally....   There's no "voice"

Users who are viewing this thread