What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No clue but remember the factory also has to be converted so I’m sure that makes it more expensive than for a company already making ventilators. Also we are dumping $6 trillion into the economy, are we really going to quibble over maybe $50 Or $100 million that will help a large publicly traded company make some money, provide work for Americans and get emergency health equipment out to the hospitals? The big issue imo is making sure they are going to be ready when we need them and not after it’s too late.
I have an issue if a corporation wants to take advantage of a disaster.  I'm all in for fair pricing but if GM is trying to make a huge profit then we need to just invoke the DPA and be done with it.

He's been pretty clear that he's only using "force" as necessary (3 or 4 times so far, I think). He's said most companies are happy and willing to help, so why "bully" them with it when you don't have to? That seemed like it was going to be the case with GM, but something obviously fell through there... so he used it.

I can't help but chuckle at the people in here that think, even in time of crisis, you can just snap a finger and make a shuttered car plant pump out ventilators. They've surely been prepping themselves for production while these discussions have gone on.

And before anyone replies, I know I know... if Trump had acted like a dictator in January he'd have a bunch of ventilators now. And you probably would've critiqued that as overstepping his bounds then and called for impeachment. I get the playbook, guys. You're not being as nuanced with all this as you think. 
These nuanced plans definitely need to be aired on on Twitter and Hannity that's useful.

I have an issue if a corporation wants to take advantage of a disaster.  I'm all in for fair pricing but if GM is trying to make a huge profit then we need to just invoke the DPA and be done with it.
I agree there should be a fair balance 

So, who all is settling in for the daily nonsense? 

I knew it was a waste of time a week ago, but I have nothing better to do and can't help myself. 
It was on our TV while eating dinner and I think I saw DeVos on the stage.  I turned off the TV...he's turned to putting people he's put in office that are dumber than him on the stage to make him seem not so dumb.

They really shouldn't be putting him on TV right now.  Last thing this country needs to hear.

It was on our TV while eating dinner and I think I saw DeVos on the stage.  I turned off the TV...he's turned to putting people he's put in office that are dumber than him on the stage to make him seem not so dumb.

They really shouldn't be putting him on TV right now.  Last thing this country needs to hear.
She will be talking about feeding kids who were supposed to be getting meals at school. Should be good.

Keep it classy.

I’m very pleased with what I’m hearing today. I still don’t like him complaining about governors, that’s really poor form. But I don’t care. He’s invoking the DPA, he’s going to manufacture ventilators, they’re going to save lives. It’s late but better late than never. 

I wish he would declare a national shelter in place but maybe that will come too. 

Or maybe he's putting who is available or relevant to the day.

I'm also pretty sure Birx is a lot smarter than Trump as are most probably.

I'll assume the 8.5 million number for the ratings is saying people want to be updated daily. I'd prefer to see them along Fauci, Birx, etc.

I’m very pleased with what I’m hearing today. I still don’t like him complaining about governors, that’s really poor form. But I don’t care. He’s invoking the DPA, he’s going to manufacture ventilators, they’re going to save lives. It’s late but better late than never. 

I wish he would declare a national shelter in place but maybe that will come too. 
Can you explain why you think GM would have moved faster if the DPA was invoked?

Actually, the press has asked Mike Pence multiple times to make DeVos available. He promised to have her here this week. And now she is.

He's still responding way too slowly.

It’s much needed actually. People can go and look at what they are complaining about and see how ridiculous they are being. I’m just sad he left Pritzker off the list. He also heaped praise at Newsom and Cuomo who have done good jobs as well.

Can you explain why you think GM would have moved faster if the DPA was invoked?
Yes. They argued over price. And GM only volunteered to do it a few days ago. I would have used the DPA weeks ago. 

But beyond this. as I tried to emphasize yesterday, the key to the DPA is to have the federal government supervise the entire process and control the distribution so that it goes to the most needed areas and states aren’t forced to compete with each other. 

Interesting. I can see where there is a conflict of interest for these items.  They need to work this out for sure.  When no one has said Trump gave the order and the reasoning then I see this as a squabble that shows disorganization between the 50 states and the Federal Movement.

"We've entered into a number of contracts and as we are getting closer to the date when shipments are supposed to come in, they're getting canceled or they're getting delayed," Whitmer said. "We've been told they're going first to the federal government."

The governor's office could not provide any additional information Friday afternoon substantiating Whitmer's allegation.
What I've gotten back is that vendors with whom we had contracts are now being told not to send stuff here to Michigan. It's really concerning."

Whitmer didn't say who has told vendors to stop sending medical supplies to the state, but strongly implied the order came from President Donald Trump's administration.

It’s much needed actually. People can go and look at what they are complaining about and see how ridiculous they are being. I’m just sad he left Pritzker off the list. He also heaped praise at Newsom and Cuomo who have done good jobs as well.
I don’t think Inslee has been ridiculous at all, or the Michigan Governor. I regard them both as heroes working tirelessly for their states. Trump is mad because they didn’t flatter him. I think Cuomo and Newsom said nice things about Trump because they know they get more results that way. But it’s embarrassing that we have a national leader who demands flattery as his reward for action. 

I don’t think Inslee has been ridiculous at all, or the Michigan Governor. I regard them both as heroes working tirelessly for their states. Trump is mad because they didn’t flatter him. I think Cuomo and Newsom said nice things about Trump because they know they get more results that way. But it’s embarrassing that we have a national leader who demands flattery as his reward for action. 
I agree with Whitmer. She’s done a good job, has communicated clearly, has been transparent and relatively ahead of the curve.

Interesting. I can see where there is a conflict of interest for these items.  They need to work this out for sure.  When no one has said Trump gave the order and the reasoning then I see this as a squabble that shows disorganization between the 50 states and the Federal Movement.
Whitmer and all 16 Michigan Congressional Reps have sent a letter to Pence asking him to please give Michigan the needed emergency supplies. This is why it’s frustrating imo for the POTUS to say the US isn’t a shipping clerk. We need a single point “man” to move supplies to the most needy areas. Leaving States to fight amongst themselves is a very bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread