What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to sports radio for probably two decades. I'm not proud of it. When a couple of times in those twenty years a super star athlete would call in to dispute whatever loud mouth hot take machine was saying, it was highly unusual and jawdroppingly crazy.  In comparison, having the POTUS constantly calling in to talk TV shows is off the hook BONKERS. 
That quote hit me.  

I used listen to sports radio once in awhile too then I realized it is just a host making comments and a bunch of idiots calling in. 

Then I think we come in here everyday and argue with the same faceless 20 people day in and day out.  Just like sports radio nothing we say means squat.  Nobody in my day to day life even talks about this stuff.      I need a life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmmm, you said it, right here

"So wait a second, are there people actually trying to argue that Trump didn’t call this virus a hoax?  I don’t see how anyone can read his comments and think that"
Cmon man use your head. No one thinks Trump thinks the virus itself doesn’t exist, but that the hoopla around it is the hoax. I suppose I could have worded it better but anyone with an ounce of critical thinking ability should know what I meant. 

Cmon man use your head. No one thinks Trump thinks the virus itself doesn’t exist, but that the hoopla around it is the hoax. I suppose I could have worded it better but anyone with an ounce of critical thinking ability should know what I meant. 

Come on man, post what you mean, words do have meaning and you clearly stated that Trump called this virus a hoax.

Come on man, post what you mean, words do have meaning and you clearly stated that Trump call this virus a hoax.
Ok I’m outta here.  Huge mistake even popping in.  Words do have meaning, might want to pass that memo up the chain to the emperor god king 

Ok I’m outta here.  Huge mistake even popping in.  Words do have meaning, might want to pass that memo up the chain to the emperor god king 
It would be easier to just admit you were wrong and were pushing forward dis-information, but hey, you do you

Come on man, post what you mean, words do have meaning and you clearly stated that Trump call this virus a hoax.
Fwiw JM already carried this spear. - Here's the problem, Trump confuses in the same line of speaking 1. the virus, 2. steps he's taken against the virus, and 3. statements about the seriousness of the virus and criticism of his prior preparedness policies. He hopelessly blends them and mixes up the messaging. 

That quote hit me.  

I used listen to sports radio once in awhile too then I realized it is just a host making comments and a bunch of idiots calling in. 

Then I think we come in here everyday and argue with the same faceless 20 people day in and day out.  Just like sports radio nothing we say means squat.  Nobody in my day to day life even talks about this stuff.      I need a life.
I agree with your first sentence and couldn't disagree any more with your second.  I've learned so much from the posters here over the last 20 years or so. I will be forever grateful for that.  It is why I absolutely hate to see people like @Ditkaless Wonders  bow out. There are, at least were, dozens of people here that have completely changed my outlook on life. They have made me a better man.  I shudder to think about the road I was on when I joined this place just looking for an edge for easy money which is all I cared about at the time. 

Fwiw JM already carried this spear. - Here's the problem, Trump confuses in the same line of speaking 1. the virus, 2. steps he's taken against the virus, and 3. statements about the seriousness of the virus and criticism of his prior preparedness policies. He hopelessly blends them and mixes up the messaging. 
The message was not mixed, it was clear, the politicizing by the Dems is the next hoax

The message was not mixed, it was clear, the politicizing bye the Dems is the next hoax
I guess. it doesn't make any logical sense but okay. I would think the politicizing would be very real and not a hoax. He's like a rorsharch test or something. It's because he's such a weasely BS'er. "The next period of time" "We'll see what happens." "It may happen it may not." Why does the President have to sound like a kid that hasn't done the work on his book report? 

It's a great skill set for sliming his way out of political trouble. Terrible for when the stuff actually goes down. When a President most needs trust and credibility he has none in the bank.  

I agree with your first sentence and couldn't disagree any more with your second.  I've learned so much from the posters here over the last 20 years or so. I will be forever grateful for that.  It is why I absolutely hate to see people like @Ditkaless Wonders  bow out. There are, at least were, dozens of people here that have completely changed my outlook on life. They have made me a better man.  I shudder to think about the road I was on when I joined this place just looking for an edge for easy money which is all I cared about at the time. 
I guess I understand but I am not here that often. Do you think about Trump multiple times a day during your day to day life like some do here? If you are getting ready for your day and not online do you think about Trump?  There is one guy here who has over 150 pages just on Trump. That is almost 4000 posts.  That is what I meant as it seems some are obsessed.

calling something a hoax implies it isn't real.  so he was saying the politicizing of the virus isn't real?

There is no confusion in what I typed, sorry you can't see that
Well you literally put hoax in a virus discussion, so yeah that’s my point. Those two words shouldn’t be in the same sentence or even series of sentences. Absolute clarity is needed here.

And I’d like to back off the jabbing here, just speaking on my part. And to be clear I think Tony was being reasonable further up. I’m not sure my tone always comes across well in text. 

timschochet said:
@Ditkaless Wonders

I agree with what everyone else wrote. You are one of the best posters on this board. People like you are the reason I enjoy being here. Please don’t leave. 
Nobody here ever leaves for good, they always return and DW will too.   People get pissed off and may take some time off but eventually they always come back.  How many times have you read "I am done here?"

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Well you literally put hoax in a virus discussion, so yeah that’s my point. Those two words shouldn’t be in the same sentence or even series of sentences. Absolute clarity is needed here.

And I’d like to back off the jabbing here, just speaking on my part. And to be clear I think Tony was being reasonable further up. I’m not sure my tone always comes across well in text. 
Why shouldn't the words be in the same sentence?  If you're not attempting to twist his words or augment his meaning then there is no confusion too his message

it's twitter so who knows, but did Trump just say about the virus: "We closed it down...we stopped it"?

Apple Jack said:
DW didn't make a mistake. It's hard to argue against the fact that the country would be a better place if the Trump family went away, no matter what the circumstances. They are objectively terrible human beings.
Quality life views at work, you should be proud.

Why shouldn't the words be in the same sentence?  If you're not attempting to twist his words or augment his meaning then there is no confusion too his message
I've watched the clips, two at ralies, one on the WH lawn. The thing with this president is avoiding responsibility or accountability for anything. That's not my point it just explains what happens. Trump says, there's a crisis, we're dealing with it, and people who say it's more serious than we're saying or who criticize my past policies are hoaxers. The message received is that arguments about the seriousness of it (Trump's point 1) and the policies to address it (Trump's point 2) are fake, false, and so the message on 1 and 2 is lost. The main takeaway is that it's not happening. I'm glad you have clarity on it, I really don't think others do.

And btw about No. 3 - yes, eliminating the NSC chief and staff on pandemic threats, slashing the CDC budget, and being underprepared in material and equipment (hence the emergency 8.3B outlay we just saw) are serious legitimate criticisms. I for one am happy to not dwell on it and move on, but blocking out key facts and details is not a way to handle things. I live in an area where local and fed authorities ignored levee building and preparedness for years. I've been through all this unite vs recrimination crap. The need to unify is real, the desire to ignore failures is dangerous.

Snorkelson said:
Yes, what a deviously crafted question, asking about mortality rates of a possible pandemic. And asking the experts and the person in charge of the response? Man, it’s a good thing they can answer that in a round about way and not commit to a number. 
Why cant they just say 3%? Pretty much what every expert is saying. How is this a tricky question?

Maybe I should ask you what you mean by “bait Pense and the experts?” 3.4%. Of reported cases it’s 3.4%. 

Sure, there are probably unreported cases out there that could drop that number down, perhaps. But of the observable numbers it’s 3.4%. We shouldn’t just guess that “ it could actually be really low, like less than 1%.” 
It was a horrible question, even Jay and Pramila were standing with Pense and that reporter has to try and score political points.  Disgusting.  Why can't they just say 3%?:

a) The adults in the room were keeping politics out of it.

b) No one knows for certain what the real rate is.

c) It' likely to be much less than 3%.

And btw about No. 3 - yes, eliminating the NSC chief and staff on pandemic threats, slashing the CDC budget, and being underprepared in material and equipment (hence the emergency 8.3B outlay we just saw) are serious legitimate criticisms. I for one am happy to not dwell on it and move on, but blocking out key facts and details is not a way to handle things. I live in an area where local and fed authorities ignored levee building for years. I've been through all this unite vs recrimination crap. The need to unify is real, the desire to ignore failures is dangerous.
And the underlying truth of the matter is those moves were made to offset the tax breaks given to the rich. So that dishonest effort by the GOP is a direct impact on the current virus condition and response.

This needs to be a rally cry when the time is right.

What Apple Jack wrote last night was just ugly. No I’m not going to quote it. 

We’ve got to find a way to get away from this sentiment. We’ve stopped disagreeing with each other and started demonizing each other. We assume all mistakes on the other side are deliberate. It’s awful. I’m just so sick of it. 

I've watched the clips, two at ralies, one on the WH lawn. The thing with this president is avoiding responsibility or accountability for anything. That's not my point it just explains what happens. Trump says, there's a crisis, we're dealing with it, and people who say it's more serious than we're saying or who criticize my past policies are hoaxers. The message received is that arguments about the seriousness of it (Trump's point 1) and the policies to address it (Trump's point 2) are fake, false, and so the message on 1 and 2 is lost. The main takeaway is that it's not happening. I'm glad you have clarity on it, I really don't think others do.

And btw about No. 3 - yes, eliminating the NSC chief and staff on pandemic threats, slashing the CDC budget, and being underprepared in material and equipment (hence the emergency 8.3B outlay we just saw) are serious legitimate criticisms. I for one am happy to not dwell on it and move on, but blocking out key facts and details is not a way to handle things. I live in an area where local and fed authorities ignored levee building and preparedness for years. I've been through all this unite vs recrimination crap. The need to unify is real, the desire to ignore failures is dangerous.
I haven't blocked out anything, I never said word one about culpability by POTUS, he has some, you listed valid points to that affect.

I only addressed the constant posting of dis-information, specifically the claim that he called the virus a hoax.  No matter what justification someone tries to tie to the situation, it's a lie and has no place being posted

Yes except conservatives could make the argument that we can cut the budgets and people involved in these programs and then, when an emergency arises, we can simply allocate funds as needed, and there will be no loss in effectiveness but a savings in overall cost. 

Im not saying this is a good argument but they can certainly offer it.  

Apple Jack said:
DW didn't make a mistake. It's hard to argue against the fact that the country would be a better place if the Trump family went away, no matter what the circumstances. They are objectively terrible human beings.
Don't

Unfortunately for President Trump, he’s making the same mistakes as Herbert Hoover. Hoover made good decisions that actually, IMO, helped to save the American economy. But at the same time he said a lot of stupid stuff that doomed him personally. Like Trump, he was too cheerful, too optimistic. And instead of calming people down he made them more nervous. 

Megla said:
The message was not mixed, it was clear, the politicizing by the Dems is the next hoax
If the message wasn't mixed why are the people on my facebook friends list that are hard core Trump supporters continuing to post charts that show the virus at the bottom of all the other virus (mind you the chart is from January, they never update the numbers...), continuing to post links to "data" showing it's not bad and on and on?  To me this is saying all these people think it's a hoax and no big deal because POTUS says so.  Guess maybe I'm misunderstanding this messaging?

How can anyone argue we're strong at the borders?  A reporter posted last night that they just returned from Milan, where they were covering the CV outbreak and walked straight off the plane and into the US.  No questions, no temperature swipe, literally nothing.

If the message wasn't mixed why are the people on my facebook friends list that are hard core Trump supporters continuing to post charts that show the virus at the bottom of all the other virus (mind you the chart is from January, they never update the numbers...), continuing to post links to "data" showing it's not bad and on and on?  To me this is saying all these people think it's a hoax and no big deal because POTUS says so.  Guess maybe I'm misunderstanding this messaging?
I can't speak to your facebook friends,sorry

Saying you hope the President gets it or that "We'd be better off with him dead" is poor form.  As strongly as we all disagree--I would hope that we can agree that wishing the virus and or death on anyone is unacceptable.  And it's a very small percentage of the board that's doing it.  

And it isn't a left or a right issue.  It's just an unacceptable issue.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Summer Wheat said:
I guess I understand but I am not here that often. Do you think about Trump multiple times a day during your day to day life like some do here? If you are getting ready for your day and not online do you think about Trump?  There is one guy here who has over 150 pages just on Trump. That is almost 4000 posts.  That is what I meant as it seems some are obsessed.
To be fair he is the supposed leader of the free world and not some cute singer in a boy band. 

timschochet said:
Trump is saying a lot of wrong things. But he is doing the right things. I think the latter is more important. 
The presidents primary role is to use the bully pulpit to say the correct things. 

And with everyone arguing that the mortality rate is lower than reported because either the infection rate and/or the exposure rate is much higher than expected is known the entire sentiment makes little sense.   Trump's words are much more important in buying time for the experts to do their thing.  

Unfortunately for President Trump, he’s making the same mistakes as Herbert Hoover. Hoover made good decisions that actually, IMO, helped to save the American economy. But at the same time he said a lot of stupid stuff that doomed him personally. Like Trump, he was too cheerful, too optimistic. And instead of calming people down he made them more nervous. 
Same dam mistakes. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread