What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
No, the Republican legislature has to agree to postpone the voting. The Republican legislature refuses to act and heed warnings from many Republican mayors around the state. All the Democrats can do is sit on their hands as Republicans refuse to act.
They do not have to agree.  The governor could have acted, but he chose not to..  From Politico:

"The governor's reasoning in deciding not to take additional action, such as attempting to order polls closed by his own action or having a health official shutter them, is that it could backfire on him, the source close to Evers said."

I think the public is at fault more than anyone else.  The public is what eats up this crap.  The public wants to see and hear what supports their opinion.  There are too many people who are supporting this kind of journalism.
This pretty much is it, end of story.  We have, what I would consider relatively smart people, on this forum who use our MSM as a gauge ALL THE TIME for random nonsense they are whining and/or complaining about.  It's insanity.  

There was an infectious disease doctor from the University of Michigan med center on the local news last night and he was totally unpolitical.  Never mentioned Trump, Gov Whitmer, nothing political at all just very direct and matter of fact.

Just simply stated what is going on right now was basically unpreventable.  Only way it could have been somewhat contained was if the USA banned all incoming travel from everywhere in December,  started social distancing in December, shut down every business, sports, parks and rec in early January. In the USA that was going to be difficult and never going to happen as the public would not accept it.  And even then he said it still it would have been a serious problem.

Lets just pray all of us and our families survive this.  God Bless everyone!

They do not have to agree.  The governor could have acted, but he chose not to..  From Politico:

"The governor's reasoning in deciding not to take additional action, such as attempting to order polls closed by his own action or having a health official shutter them, is that it could backfire on him, the source close to Evers said."
Evers cannot unilaterally keep the election from happening. The barrier in the way is the Republican legislature.

Actions speak louder than words. Republicans gaveled in and gaveled out in a minute on Saturday. If Republicans truly felt delaying the election was in the best interest of the people of Wisconsin... they could hold the vote and make it happen.

I love this post so much :wub:  

Things here always come full circle.

During an address over the loudspeakers on the ship...

@ddale8

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly tells the Roosevelt crew that Capt. Crozier committed a "betrayal of trust" and either knew his letter would be leaked or is "too naive or too stupid" to command the ship. From

@barbarastarrcnn

@evanperez

@rabrowne75

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/politics/uss-tr-crozier-modly/index.html
Biden and Sanders should be on tv telling everyone that they would reinstate Captain Crozier on the first day they are in office. Democratic slogan should be something along the lines of, "Correct the Wrongs" or something to that affect with the list of everything Trump has done wrong.

NO WAY!!! I AM SHOCKED!!!  :shock:

There was an infectious disease doctor from the University of Michigan med center on the local news last night and he was totally unpolitical.  Never mentioned Trump, Gov Whitmer, nothing political at all just very direct and matter of fact.

Just simply stated what is going on right now was basically unpreventable.  Only way it could have been somewhat contained was if the USA banned all incoming travel from everywhere in December,  started social distancing in December, shut down every business, sports, parks and rec in early January. In the USA that was going to be difficult and never going to happen as the public would not accept it.  And even then he said it still it would have been a serious problem.

None of that however excuses how unprepared we were and continue to be. We knew it was coming here and still wasted months getting up to speed.

That is somewhat true.  But you have to look at Asian countries and they seem to be doing a much better job than Europe and North America.  It is not government action though, but the people.  Asians have been taking the flu season very seriously for years, and they are better at self isolation, personal protection and being courteous about protecting others around them.  This is the first time Western Civilization has taken these kind of precautions and we are really not good at it and most people still ignore common sense stuff.

Evers cannot unilaterally keep the election from happening. The barrier in the way is the Republican legislature.

Actions speak louder than words. Republicans gaveled in and gaveled out in a minute on Saturday. If Republicans truly felt delaying the election was in the best interest of the people of Wisconsin... they could hold the vote and make it happen.
I am not arguing that.  I am arguing what you said is just wrong.  The governor had choices to act without the legislature.  So your statement was incorrect.  Not that you will acknowledge that.

During an address over the loudspeakers on the ship...

@ddale8

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly tells the Roosevelt crew that Capt. Crozier committed a "betrayal of trust" and either knew his letter would be leaked or is "too naive or too stupid" to command the ship. From

@barbarastarrcnn

@evanperez

@rabrowne75

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/politics/uss-tr-crozier-modly/index.html
I agree with this whole heartedly.  There is a chain of command and a means by which to voice complaints and the captain did an intentional end around liking knowing the complaint would become public.  For an officer that is a big no no and he is right to face to consequence of his actions 

This one is better -- it includes accuracy/quality as an axis.

Note that Breitbart is among the worst of the worst on the right.

Also interesting to note that the two highest-quality publications on the right, The Weekly Standard and The National Review, are both close to going out of business.  It worth asking if there's no longer a market for truth and accuracy on the right.
Since the Trump movement has so wholly rejected intellectualism in favor of complete fealty to Trump, it will be very interesting to see where/if conservative thought re-emerges.  Hopefully there is some pushback on this personality-based populism. 

Since you guys asked for a list, I'll give you a rough list of what I generally use: Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Reuters, NPR, Associated Press, BBC, The Guardian
I guess I'll try to explain further. This is Axios:

a source familiar with the conversation
That is journalistically standard and ok. It would be ok at WSJ, at NYT, at your local paper or tv station. I am really curious if BB uses such standards, I have no idea.

One problem with it is it allows for leaks from whatever source - here I'm guessing either from Kushner's team or the NIH or CDC - and so leaks can be protected by saying 'hey this guy who knows what happened said this is what happened.' It's obviously not a match for video and transcript of the meeting itself, but also keep in mind that Trump regularly fights normal democratic (small d) transparency and procedure as a matter of doctrine.

I think the problem here is not whether you like such journalistic practice - and again there is nothing wrong with this aspect  - it's squaring whatever argument you're making with the FDA use authorization. It contains none of the sourcing or references or footnoting that would accompany such a statement.

Let's say the argument that the Navarro-Fauci throwdown did not occur, ok fine. But for such a statement to emerge there would have had been some sort of political overriding of normal FDA practices somewhere and it likely would have gone something very much like that.

Peter Navarro weighs in. America is lucky to have him leading the fight... yeah, no.

At 7:10 in the video... someone help me with those stats he says. Did I hear him correctly?
Maybe you posted the wrong link?
He did but let’s address hydroxychloroquine

SEE 8:15, final question for Dr Fauci in Face The Nation yesterday morning

Also, go back to the Navarro interview and listen to the follow up discussion for about a minute

I am not arguing that.  I am arguing what you said is just wrong.  The governor had choices to act without the legislature.  So your statement was incorrect.  Not that you will acknowledge that.
If you think I am wrong, please, tell me what Evers could have done, without Republican legislature approval, to suspend or delay the election. I'm all ears.

I gues I'll try to explain further. This is Axios:

That is journalistically standard and ok. It would be ok at WSJ, at NYT, at your local paper or tv station. I am really curious if BB uses such standards, I have no idea.

One problem with it is it allows for leaks from whatever source - here I'm guessing either from Kushner's team or the NIH or CDC - and so leaks can be protected by saying 'hey this guy who knows what happened said this is what happened.'

I think the problem here is not whether you like such journalistic practice - and again there is nothing wrong with this aspect  - it's squaring whatever argument you're making with the FDA use authorization. It contains none of the sourcing or references or footnoting that would accompany such a statement.

Let's say the argument that the Navarro-Fauci throwdown did not occur, ok fine. But for such a statement to emerge there would have had been some sort of political overriding of normal FDA practices somewhere and it likely would have gone something very much like that.
Of course. For the record, I don't have a problem with Axios. I never said I did. Salon? That's different.

That may have been the perception, but it did happen, and by and large, the public has accepted it (we don't LIKE it, but I think we've accepted it).  So maybe that perception was inaccurate.

Of course. For the record, I don't have a problem with Axios. I never said I did. Salon? That's different.
Thanks, and by the same token I regularly hear Trump supporters (I'm speaking generally, not making a claim about you) say regularly that NYT, Wapo, MSM etc. are unacceptable, and then I will look at Breitbart, Gateway, Powerline, what have you, and then - surprise - they're linking to NYT, Wapo, MSM for their claims. I think Salon / Raw Story has done that here as well, basically they're just relying on Axios' report of the leak.

Wait...this isn't taking a technicality of a post and pressing on it ignoring the overall message/point is it?  People here frown upon that.  If not, what are the legal options he has to do what he wants all by himself?  Cursory look through their Constitution doesn't yield any obvious options.

I agree with this whole heartedly.  There is a chain of command and a means by which to voice complaints and the captain did an intentional end around liking knowing the complaint would become public.  For an officer that is a big no no and he is right to face to consequence of his actions 
Nah. The captains first priority are the lives of his crew. If the “chain of command” was  ignoring his pleas because it wasn’t politically convenient to admit their ships were in crisis then I have no problem with what he did. 

Nah. The captains first priority are the lives of his crew. If the “chain of command” was  ignoring his pleas because it wasn’t politically convenient to admit their ships were in crisis then I have no problem with what he did. 
All well and good, just as you understand their are consequences and don't be a martyr when they are applied.

Wait...this isn't taking a technicality of a post and pressing on it ignoring the overall message/point is it?  People here frown upon that.  If not, what are the legal options he has to do what he wants all by himself?  Cursory look through their Constitution doesn't yield any obvious options.
This article has an important paragraph...

While the state legislature is the only branch of Wisconsin’s government that has the formal authority to reschedule elections, according to Politico, Evers has some options available to him to attempt to delay the primary — but he appears unlikely to exercise them. For instance, Politico reports that Evers could try to ask a health official to close the polls, but likely won’t because he is concerned about depleting political capital that will be needed for coronavirus legislation in the coming weeks. And such a move would face legal challenges that could result in decisions that would limit the power of the governor in the future.
Within the above paragraph, there was a link leading to Jon's article he linked. On further reading, that article is pretty damning towards Republians, imo.

Republican leader, Robin Vos' wife, chimes in. Covid-19 reaction is an overreaction.

Thanks, and by the same token I regularly hear Trump supporters (I'm speaking generally, not making a claim about you) say regularly that NYT, Wapo, MSM etc. are unacceptable, and then I will look at Breitbart, Gateway, Powerline, what have you, and then - surprise - they're linking to NYT, Wapo, MSM for their claims. I think Salon / Raw Story has done that here as well, basically they're just relying on Axios' report of the leak.
If it's something that comes from a strong news reporting service (like the ones in the green box on that map shared in here earlier), I weigh almost everything on a case-by-case basis. Some stories are reported better than others. And that's not a left/right thing... it's usually more of a journalist/access/sourcing thing.

Many of the fringe sites on either side of the aisle have the strategy of aggregating well-reported pieces and send them through the spin zone. I'd say that's far more prevalent than actual reporting for these sites because A- it's cheaper and B- it's easier. And anyone who knows anything about media knows "cheap and easy" has become the path of least resistance. (Consumer suffers the most, but they can only speak with their clicks and subscription dollars)

Why that bothers me is that most consumers don't take the time to understand what's happening. They'll click on a link from a place like Salon (or whatever right-wing site you want to pick) and they'll see splices of source facts mixed in with partisan babble. It clouds the message.

Also for the record, I didn't vote for Trump and wouldn't consider myself a supporter.

I think the public is at fault more than anyone else.  The public is what eats up this crap.  The public wants to see and hear what supports their opinion.  There are too many people who are supporting this kind of journalism.
Idiocracy?

This is an issue for a large part of the world, but I hesitate to name any country that has it worse than the US where seemingly 35-40% apply little or no critical thinking to statements coming from people supporting their own views (on at least one issue - then they grandfather in all the rest, it seems).

Idiocracy?

This is an issue for a large part of the world, but I hesitate to name any country that has it worse than the US where seemingly 35-40% apply little or no critical thinking to statements coming from people supporting their own views (on at least one issue - then they grandfather in all the rest, it seems).
We're not a very well led country right now.  I'm not just talking about Trump either.

If you think I am wrong, please, tell me what Evers could have done, without Republican legislature approval, to suspend or delay the election. I'm all ears.
Apparently not because a posted a source and a quote which said exactly what you are asking for.  To recap, he could have order the polls shut himself or had health officials close them.  He chose not to for political reasons.  

Apparently not because a posted a source and a quote which said exactly what you are asking for.  To recap, he could have order the polls shut himself or had health officials close them.  He chose not to for political reasons.  
Um, no. Read above as I posted links, including your which is not a good look for Republicans. Here is a pertinent paragraph:

"While the state legislature is the only branch of Wisconsin’s government that has the formal authority to reschedule elections, according to Politico, Evers has some options available to him to attempt to delay the primary — but he appears unlikely to exercise them. For instance, Politico reports that Evers could try to ask a health official to close the polls, but likely won’t because he is concerned about depleting political capital that will be needed for coronavirus legislation in the coming weeks. And such a move would face legal challenges that could result in decisions that would limit the power of the governor in the future."

The "options" available would be challenge by Republicans and Republicans would win in court due to the Supreme Court in Wisconsin. So, not options.

The article linked/quoted suggest he could have.  Maybe he would have lost in court or maybe he could have prevailed.  Governors across this country are acting without the legislature. 

Um, no. Read above as I posted links, including your which is not a good look for Republicans. Here is a pertinent paragraph:

"While the state legislature is the only branch of Wisconsin’s government that has the formal authority to reschedule elections, according to Politico, Evers has some options available to him to attempt to delay the primary — but he appears unlikely to exercise them. For instance, Politico reports that Evers could try to ask a health official to close the polls, but likely won’t because he is concerned about depleting political capital that will be needed for coronavirus legislation in the coming weeks. And such a move would face legal challenges that could result in decisions that would limit the power of the governor in the future."

The "options" available would be challenge by Republicans and Republicans would win in court due to the Supreme Court in Wisconsin. So, not options.
Ok.  I was unaware I was in a discussion with a fortune -teller of such abilities to definitively predict how a court will rule.  My bad.   If I were a governor and I believe an action might save thousands of lives, I might give it a try.  

That may have been the perception, but it did happen, and by and large, the public has accepted it (we don't LIKE it, but I think we've accepted it).  So maybe that perception was inaccurate.
Accepted it after being wide spread yes.  Accepting it as a preventive measure?  Much more difficult.  A large % of the USA still does not get a proven preventive vaccine with flu shots. 

Hell just a few weeks ago LeBron James said he would not play a game without fans. 

This article has an important paragraph...

While the state legislature is the only branch of Wisconsin’s government that has the formal authority to reschedule elections, according to Politico, Evers has some options available to him to attempt to delay the primary — but he appears unlikely to exercise them. For instance, Politico reports that Evers could try to ask a health official to close the polls, but likely won’t because he is concerned about depleting political capital that will be needed for coronavirus legislation in the coming weeks. And such a move would face legal challenges that could result in decisions that would limit the power of the governor in the future.
Within the above paragraph, there was a link leading to Jon's article he linked. On further reading, that article is pretty damning towards Republians, imo.

Republican leader, Robin Vos' wife, chimes in. Covid-19 reaction is an overreaction.

Edited 18 minutes ago by Challenge Everything
No....I get there are some political shenanigans that he can try to deploy.  From my reading they require cooperation from other groups, like the example you give here.  Jon's assertion is that there are things HE CAN do on his OWN.  That's different.  I don't even see in the Constitution where he can just close all polling places.  Is that in election laws somewhere?  

The article linked/quoted suggest he could have.  Maybe he would have lost in court or maybe he could have prevailed.  Governors across this country are acting without the legislature. 
got it...bowing out....not going down this rabbit hole.

No, it's weak reporting because it's not properly sourced. It uses one person's anecdotal experience to carry the entire story. At the bare minimum to get a story published with a reputable outlet, you're typically going to need AT LEAST 2-3 strong, independently verified sources. And it's usually best if they come from different angles of the story.

So, for example, for this story you'd want to speak with several Lupus patients to get an understanding of the situation. From different areas of your readership. (If it's national, speak to people in different states. If it's local, speak to people in different counties, etc.). You're then going to want to get an industry expert into the story. In this case, probably a pharmacist. This person will be able to source how they and their peers are experiencing any potential shortages. Then, you're going to want to source the drug manufacturer (or someone familiar with the industry) to get an understanding of why the supply shortage exists. Will it be permanent? Someone in the supply chain of this product would also be a good source. Finally, you could get a FDA source into this to explain if this was something they anticipated as a result of going through with the emergency use. What are the remedies to make sure people who need it still get it?

This story really should be pretty easy. And there are likely outlets trying to do it this way. The ProPublica piece did none of it... which makes me question it. I have no real bias here. I don't know if this stuff works or not. I don't know if there's a shortage of it or not. That's the REPORTER'S JOB to inform me.

As someone with more than a decade's worth of experience in the very industry we're discussing, I find your response to me both alarming and insulting. Maybe if you weren't so aggressive in your quest to be right you could learn something from the experiences of those in the forum with you.
Well...the story was about that person...the problem with your premise is that it also cited the Lupus foundation early on in the report...as well as studies raising other concerns about it.  You would think...citing such a foundation the way they did...and further looking shows the foundation reported shortages (as others have commented about.

I don't care if you find being questioned insulting based on writing off publications you claimed were biased.  And no need to get personal the way you continue to do at the end there.

While I do read all of the sources I listed, I only listed the sources rated as "center" on the Media Bias Ratings site to humor myself by seeing who would have a huge problem with my sources. You, unsurprisingly, were the first one all over it. :lmao:
I didn't have an issue with those sources...I cited a media bias fact checker showing you wrote off sources that are as centered as some of those you cite as approved...one of which also had issues with factual reporting (where the sources you have written off didn't have such an issue).

And I backed it up with links to support my thoughts.

Further...none of the sources you listed are ones I would just automatically question (the way you did with Salon, Axios, and Propublica).  Not the way I would question OAN, FoxNews, Breitbart, Vox, Buzzfeed, or Gateway Pundit type sources.

So save your little rolling laughing face and the personal comments.

Honestly, I have no desire to communicate with you any longer. I don't think either of us get anything productive out of it. I don't think the thread does either. I'm not a child, so I'm not going to put you on ignore. Instead, I'd like to call for a mutual parting of ways. As a good faith effort, I'll leave the thread again. Thanks.

It is a shame good poster with differing points of views get chased away. 
Nobody is chasing anyone away...we had a disagreement about a topic...we spoke...that is what happens.  He is free to post here all he wants.  As am I...as long as we stay within the guidelines set by the mods.  I didn't insult him...didnt get personal...I spoke about the posts and the topic.  He did the same (though...I disagreed with a few personal digs).  It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread