What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got really lucky that for over 3 years Trump wasn't faced with a major, nationwide crisis. Seems like our luck just ran out. Scary times. Hopefully somebody gets through to him that it's in his political interest to speak truthfully and act decisively.
He's nearly incapable of the former, and severely limited when it comes to the latter. This crisis is going to be dealt with outside the scope of this Administration - by State and local agencies.

File this under: "We knew that already"

But, the President is mentally unfit to lead:

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1 · 2m

Stories about Trump's coronavirus fears have spread through the White House. Last week Trump told aides he's afraid journalists will try to purposefully contract coronavirus to give it to him on Air Force One, a person close to the administration told VF.

A friend of mine had a family cruise on the Grand Princess scheduled for 3/29.    Needless to say, they are not going but so far the airline is not giving them a refund.
Well we would probably have to bail out the airlines if they started giving customers their money back

Stories about Trump's coronavirus fears have spread through the White House. Last week Trump told aides he's afraid journalists will try to purposefully contract coronavirus to give it to him on Air Force One, a person close to the administration told VF.
Not sure why he is worried about journalists spreading this "contained" virus when if he was going to get in contact with someone it would have been at CPAC apparently

Just picturing Trump constantly freaking out that Jim Acosta is going to try to touch him all the time  :D

No biggie if it happened though, right?  Common cold.  Just another flu.  Cases headed towards zero.

Not sure why he is worried about journalists spreading this "contained" virus when if he was going to get in contact with someone it would have been at CPAC apparently

Just picturing Trump constantly freaking out that Jim Acosta is going to try to touch him all the time  :D
And see now Acosta can totally mess with him.  

We got really lucky that for over 3 years Trump wasn't faced with a major, nationwide crisis. Seems like our luck just ran out. Scary times. Hopefully somebody gets through to him that it's in his political interest to speak truthfully and act decisively.
This is true. Always been the biggest fear - this incompetent person who has no clue when something terrible happens in charge. Him saying this will one day all go away "like a miracle" was frightening. 

He did have the Iran thing that could have gone sideways deescalate quickly.

Has it been released who this patient is? Seems like he was in contact with several high profile people. Also how many other Republicans are going to go into self-quarantine just to avoid having to defend Trump for a couple weeks?
I haven't seen that.

Also, Matt Gaetz came into contact with the CPAC guy - both were in contact with Trump over the last couple of days.

Kinda sounds like fake news

"This is 100% fake news. @gabrielsherman did not reach out to me. False & sensational writing on this topic is irresponsible. POTUS has spent plenty of time w the press pool - simply ask ur colleagues. Nothing about your little college essay is funny or true & I want a retraction."

"This is 100% fake news. @gabrielsherman did not reach out to me. False & sensational writing on this topic is irresponsible. POTUS has spent plenty of time w the press pool - simply ask ur colleagues. Nothing about your little college essay is funny or true & I want a retraction."
wow - someone from this administration screaming fake news.  color me shocked.

this is nothing but a complete failure by Trump.

"But an analysis by The Atlantic published Friday could only confirm 1,895 tests carried out in the U.S., where the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases passed 550 Monday. By contrast, in the UK, where 319 cases have been confirmed, health authorities have conducted more than 20,000 tests."

Hard to say. I’m a bit suspicious of people who say “purposefully” when they mean “purposely.” So Kyle Griffin may not be 100% reliable.

On the other hand, has Stephanie Grisham ever said anything true?

Last edited by a moderator:

A white House denial isn't exactly very meaningful.

:lmao:  You gotta be kidding me.
Movements thrive on the destruction of reality. Because the real world confronts us with challenges and obstructions, reality is uncertain, messy, and unsettling. Movements work to create alternate realities that offer adherents a stable and empowering place in the world. Amid economic dislocation and the loss of stable identities, the Nazis’ promise of Aryan superiority is stabilizing. Stalin understood that people would easily overlook lies and mass murder if it were in their interest to do so. Above all, movements promise consistency. Movements “conjure up a lying world of consistency which is more adequate to the needs of the human mind than reality itself.”

Simone Weil wrote that “to be rooted is perhaps the most important and least recognized need of the human soul.” The modern condition of rootlessness is a foundational experience of totalitarianism; totalitarian movements succeed when they offer rootless people what they most crave: an ideologically consistent world aiming at grand narratives that give meaning to their lives. By consistently repeating a few key ideas, a manipulative leader provides a sense of rootedness grounded upon a coherent fiction that is “consistent, comprehensible, and predictable.”

The reason fact-checking is ineffective today — at least in convincing those who are members of movements — is that the mobilized members of a movement are confounded by a world resistant to their wishes and prefer the promise of a consistent alternate world to reality. When Donald Trump says he’s going to build a wall to protect our borders, he is not making a factual statement that an actual wall will actually protect our borders; he is signaling a politically incorrect willingness to put America first. When he says that there was massive voter fraud or boasts about the size of his inauguration crowd, he is not speaking about actual facts, but is insisting that his election was legitimate. “What convinces masses are not facts, and not even invented facts, but only the consistency of the system of which they are presumably part.”

Leaders of these mass totalitarian movements do not need to believe in the truth of their lies and ideological clichés. The point of their fabrications is not to establish facts, but to create a coherent fictional reality. What a movement demands of its leaders is the articulation of a consistent narrative combined with the ability to abolish the capacity for distinguishing between truth and falsehood, between reality and fiction.
~Hannah Arendt

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully none of them follow Israel's lead and require a mandatory 2 week isolation upon entering the country.
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has announced that anyone entering the country from abroad  —Israeli citizens and foreign nationals alike — must self-quarantine for 14 days. 

Those foreign nationals who are unable to demonstrate to Israeli border authorities that they will be able to self-quarantine for two weeks will not be allowed to enter the country.

WH should be conducting twice daily Press conferences - even if they limit questions.

Quick updates, next steps, practical safeguards, etc.

The fact that we are rudderless right now is as concerning as the coronavirus itself.

WH should be conducting twice daily Press conferences - even if they limit questions.

The fact that we are rudderless right now is as concerning as the coronavirus itself.
Peter Baker @peterbakernyt · 2m

The presidential seal has been put on the lectern in the White House briefing room, an indication that Trump will lead the coronavirus briefing scheduled to start any moment rather than Pence.

:thumbup:

(at least until I hear what he has to say...)

CDC has been putting out a lot of good warnings and guidance in the past 3-4 days (age 60+ should limit public activities, don't cruise *duh*, etc.).  I would say things have improved some.

Trump's minimizing isn't going to go away, but if you are relying on Trump for guidance at this point...

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has announced that anyone entering the country from abroad  —Israeli citizens and foreign nationals alike — must self-quarantine for 14 days. 

Those foreign nationals who are unable to demonstrate to Israeli border authorities that they will be able to self-quarantine for two weeks will not be allowed to enter the country.
There were 17 flights from northern Italy to the UK yesterday. There were no medical screenings of any passengers. The government announced crews - airline crews - had been instructed monitor incoming passenger on the planes. This is their official policy.

Just in case you think Trump Inc has a monopoly on ineptitude.

source: Dr John Campbell’s daily YT update. I used to find assurance watching it and often linked it here and in the FFA thread. No longer.

And you guys lap it up with a spoon and spread it. Color me shocked.
Lots of bad reporting out there no question about it, and much of it get sensationalized.  But the real issue is we all have really no where to turn.  The WH has proven to be every inch as reliable as the MSM so who are we to believe at this point?   I personally would much rather be able to trust our leadership but that is clearly not on the table.....

Where could he possibly fit in golf then?  Sorry not an option.

Trump lets us know it's not his fault every morning while he tweets from the can.

It's quite shocking.  It looks like this virus is going to be managed by 50 different states.  So essentially 50 countries making their own rules because there is nothing coming from the federal government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread