What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the actual reason(s) for our lack of testing?  Why are other countries capable of such production and us not?
Assume you are asking honestly, but the answer is: “I like the numbers where they are”.   And, lack of interventional infrastructure at the federal level. 

Assume you are asking honestly, but the answer is: “I like the numbers where they are”.   And, lack of interventional infrastructure at the federal level. 
Very honest.  I can’t stand the administration and think they’re an absolute dumpster fire with regards to messaging on this thing (along with actual actions).  Are they in charge of how many testing kits we have, how/where they get producers and then allocated?  I honestly have no idea what the test kit contains or how it’s produced.  

"There was also discussion of making the payroll tax rollback permanent, said the official, who declined to be named. Payroll taxes are used to fund Medicare and Social Security. When asked about the potential cost of a payroll tax cut, the official pushed back and asked why there is always a focus on the cost of tax cuts."

Sounds like old people are going to pay for most of this.
Ah just like every year when the flu is going around and there's a proposal to eliminate all payroll taxes forever. You can set your calendar to it. 

What is the actual reason(s) for our lack of testing?  Why are other countries capable of such production and us not?
I think it's the processing of the test kits right?  I've heard a billion times how we have millions of test kits.  They don't talk about the processing of those kits though.  Last I saw, we'd tested about 5000 kits total and countries like China and S Korea were processing 5-10K a day.

Ah just like every year when the flu is going around and there's a proposal to eliminate all payroll taxes forever. You can set your calendar to it. 
for sure because this is just a regular flu with a mortality rate > 20% for those over 80....nothingburger!!! bunch of liberal snowflakes

He's not a quack.  This is basic math if we don't do anything.  And for two months we've done nothing
We've all heard how this is just "media hysteria".  Now there are some on the right criticizing governments, schools, businesses for overreacting. Which is smart because if the precautions they take prevents the spread of Covid they can then say "told you so, fake news, mefia hysteria, everyone was overreacting". 

We've all heard how this is just "media hysteria".  Now there are some on the right criticizing governments, schools, businesses for overreacting. Which is smart because if the precautions they take prevents the spread of Covid they can then say "told you so, fake news, mefia hysteria, everyone was overreacting". 
I for one hope they are right.

I'm really worried that if people aren't allowed to attend sporting events for a few months it's going to hurt professional athletes and the owners.  We should probably earmark 8-10 billion for them. 
Just up the tax on Netflix, I’m sure their subscriber numbers are rising with the quarantines.

In my state, there are now 7 cases.  Yesterday Tennessee made the decision to stop announcing what counties the cases are in.
Not sure about yesterday.  The heath official during the first one said they don't normally disclose but with the number of people in close interaction with tornado cleanup they announced it (not sure why for the next two). They seem to be going back to just announcing a region.

The CDC royally screwed up about 5-6 weeks ago. Then they doubled down. Then tripled down. Colossal failure.
Its hard to tell where that blame really lies - but I am sure Azar will take the fall.  But, I doubt we will ever know where the system broke down - either in passing information up, or approvals down.

Its hard to tell where that blame really lies - but I am sure Azar will take the fall.  But, I doubt we will ever know where the system broke down - either in passing information up, or approvals down.
There will be books and articles written about it. I know people in the US Public Health Service Corps. I would never think of them as incompetent.  Not sure how this happened.

you know why its getting better in China( not that I trust that report) but its because they pretty much shut the country down....I work for a tier1 auto parts supplier and we haven't had people actually at our plants in China since late January and we banned travel to anywhere outside north America then.

first two cases in michigan reported.....gov. whitmer on tv now
Just saw tonight it was announced that there's a "presumptive positive" case about a mile from house in Mercer County, NJ. That person visited an office.

ROBBINSVILLE, NJ --   The first potential case of COVID-9 (coronavirus) linked to a business in Robbinsville Township was announced late Tuesday evening by state health officials.  Earlier in the day, the State identified the presumptive positive case in the 62-year-old male works at a professional office and resides in Burlington County.  Cases are deemed presumptive until test results are confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

Sources tell TAPinto Hamilton/Robbinsville that the man traveled to Italy before returning to work at the professional office where other employees also are being tested for the contagious virus.  His office, which has not yet been officially disclosed, has been closed and is being thoroughly cleaned.

Last edited by a moderator:
you know why its getting better in China( not that I trust that report) but its because they pretty much shut the country down....I work for a tier1 auto parts supplier and we haven't had people actually at our plants in China since late January and we banned travel to anywhere outside north America then.
Sounds like schools in our area may plan the same as the local cases are starting to show up. 

It's a flat out embarrassment and we should be ashamed of ourselves.  Not sure how any MAGA supporter can feel good about MAGA with the quote below.....  We've tested 8500.  Unacceptable. 

"The South Korean government has been among the most ambitious when it comes to providing the public with free and easy testing options. It has the ability run about 15,000 diagnostic test per day and has conducted 196,000 tests to date nationwide, free of charge."
Well, some people on these boards said a few days ago: "Why should it be free?", so I dunno...

Could eliminating payroll taxes basically eliminate SS/medicaid? Is this the actual goal of the administration? Are they using CV19 as an excuse to eliminate payroll taxes to “safeguard the economy?” 

I don’t see any other purpose really. It’s a bold accusation, but it seems like the only thing that makes any sense. No one was banging the table for payroll tax deductions because of a viral outbreak. It seems out of left field.

Good lord.  People at obvious risk STILL can't get tested -- even when they present themselves to a doctor.

From that thread:

Amelia @AmeliaDoGoode

Doctors are not refusing, we want everyone tested! Especially the doctors and nurses who are caring for HIV patients, chemotherapy patients and elderly every shift, but public health and CDC have to say yes and take our swabs for testing. We do not get any say. Mad as hell.
Meanwhile the virus is spreading like wildfire.

Good lord.  People at obvious risk STILL can't get tested -- even when they present themselves to a doctor.

From that thread:

Meanwhile the virus is spreading like wildfire.
I get you like to spread anything you can try to blame on Trump in here but assume you understand with 81% only showing mild symptoms, even if yo want to call it maybe 50% truly mild symptoms, this has already spread like wild fire? Fear mongering about lack of tests doesn’t really matter when people with it go about their daily lives with mild symptoms making no effort to get a test as they think they just have a cold. The faux drama, man. 

I get you like to spread anything you can try to blame on Trump in here but assume you understand with 81% only showing mild symptoms, even if yo want to call it maybe 50% truly mild symptoms, this has already spread like wild fire? Fear mongering about lack of tests doesn’t really matter when people with it go about their daily lives with mild symptoms making no effort to get a test as they think they just have a cold. The faux drama, man. 
Italy was where we're at now 3 weeks ago. Check out conditions there now.

Italy was where we're at now 3 weeks ago. Check out conditions there now.
Please share how you are going to force the majority with the virus and mild symptoms to go get tested? I’m all ears. Unless you do that, which it’s probably too late for already, this will have to run it’s course. 

Do you have any loved ones over the age of 75? I do, and I’m very concerned for their well being of a lot if the population feels this way, especially in a conservative county that may get their information the same places as you.

Do you have any loved ones over the age of 75? I do, and I’m very concerned for their well being of a lot if the population feels this way, especially in a conservative county that may get their information the same places as you.
I would be more concerned for those that get their info where you do. Constant hysteria is rarely helpful. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread