What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no concern that businesses will be impacted, virus won’t spread, elderly mortality rate, none of that is a concern of yours?
Very concerned, just don’t see what you can do about something like this where the majority of the carriers have mild symptoms and will continue to unknowingly spread it. 

Please share how you are going to force the majority with the virus and mild symptoms to go get tested? I’m all ears. Unless you do that, which it’s probably too late for already, this will have to run it’s course. 
Force them to get tested?  They can't get tested if they wanted to!  I like your approach though, just ignore it and it should go away.

Very concerned, just don’t see what you can do about something like this where the majority of the carriers have mild symptoms and will continue to unknowingly spread it. 
I'm just spitballing here, but maybe you (the royal "you") could raise awareness, offer guidance to people on how to minimize interaction and chances for spreading the infection.  Perhaps you could also be straight with people, let them know it's not "just the flu", allow people to be tested, and encourage precautions.  There are available courses of action beyond doing nothing.  There are certainly available courses of action that aren't actively downplaying the seriousness and encouraging people to ignore it.

Force them to get tested?  They can't get tested if they wanted to!  I like your approach though, just ignore it and it should go away.
I get that’s the talking point, wouldn’t come close to solving the issue. Sorry. 

Not trying to convince anyone otherwise just stating the obvious, have a good one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Please share how you are going to force the majority with the virus and mild symptoms to go get tested? I’m all ears. Unless you do that, which it’s probably too late for already, this will have to run it’s course. 
We could have drugstores offering free testing to everyone, set up drive through testing like other countries have, etc.

Right, we’ve had a lackadaisical response to this. We don’t have a plan other than “ride it out” at this point and hope it goes away when it gets warm. In Michigan a couple days ago we had only tested 50 people. This has been around for weeks. 

Who should I be mad at? Obama? I’ve listened to Trump downplay this in every public statement he’s had the last month. I’ll point at him, you can feel free to point me to someone else and I’ll read the info with an open mind. 

The federal government has literally done nothing and might be the only government in the entire world that is actually working AGAINST efforts due to the head of the government promoting the idea that it is no big deal.
8.3 billion dollar emergency bill is literally nothing?  Okay man

Yes, it's so much better when medical staff has to make decisions that they not know if a patient is infected.

Such bold thinking!

Right, we’ve had a lackadaisical response to this. We don’t have a plan other than “ride it out” at this point and hope it goes away when it gets warm. In Michigan a couple days ago we had only tested 50 people. This has been around for weeks. 

Who should I be mad at? Obama? I’ve listened to Trump downplay this in every public statement he’s had the last month. I’ll point at him, you can feel free to point me to someone else and I’ll read the info with an open mind. 
If I were you I would keep blaming everything on Trump, why stop after 3 years of consistency. 

It would help if people knew if they had it so they could quarantine themselves for a bit or at least stay away from elderly relatives, schools, etc 
Agree, unfortunately I don’t see how people with mild symptoms and everyday responsibilities are going to all get tested even if they were falling from the sky. If you really believe that I don’t know what to tell you. 

Agree, unfortunately I don’t see how people with mild symptoms and everyday responsibilities are going to all get tested even if they were falling from the sky. If you really believe that I don’t know what to tell you. 
I think if it was freely and easily available a large amount of people in States where there are cases would get tested. Even without any symptoms, if I knew it was in the area, I would get a test if I could do it conveniently. 

They're doing it in other countries.

Is there some reason they can do it but we can't?

CBS This Morning
@CBSThisMorning

Health and Human Services @SecAzar said around 4 million #coronavirus tests will be distributed by the end of this week. But so far, only about 8,500 tests have been performed.

:hifive:

You stressed how mild the coronavirus is, like a mild cold. I said to check out the conditions in Italy and you pivoted to testing. This is NOT a mild cold for many people no matter what you want to believe. Italy's hospitals are overflowing and they're choosing which patients get treatment and which ones don't because they're so overcrowded.

And again, just a few weeks ago they were us.

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe you (the royal "you") could raise awareness, offer guidance to people on how to minimize interaction and chances for spreading the infection.  Perhaps you could also be straight with people, let them know it's not "just the flu", allow people to be tested, and encourage precautions.  There are available courses of action beyond doing nothing.  There are certainly available courses of action that aren't actively downplaying the seriousness and encouraging people to ignore it.
Great to hear from you Rich, hope things are well. 

I watched Mike Pence host a press conference yesterday and they did everything you’re saying here. 

The federal government has literally done nothing and might be the only government in the entire world that is actually working AGAINST efforts due to the head of the government promoting the idea that it is no big deal.
I don’t think this is accurate. Trump has said a lot of stupid stuff but he’s not DOING stupid stuff. At least I’m not aware of it. 

I don’t think this is accurate. Trump has said a lot of stupid stuff but he’s not DOING stupid stuff. At least I’m not aware of it. 
He's the President. What he says carries a LOT of weight.

He's downplayed this whole thing every chance he has gotten. And you can see the effects right here. Millions of people claiming it's no big deal and the flu is so much worse. Those people are much less likely to get tested and/or quarantine. Which will lead to more people getting it.

All he had to do from the start was take it seriously, tell everyone to listen to the experts, and get out of the way. That's it.

But he had to make it all about himself, as usual.

I absolutely agree with you but it makes sense to get the tests to as many hospitals, urgent care clinics and doctor's offices as possible.   Every infected person that you can catch and self-quarantine away for a couple of weeks would be help limit the exposure to the rest of the country and every data point would be helpful in learning more about the virus and identifying hot spots.

I admit I am not this administration's biggest fan but I don't think it is asking too much to get as many tests in as many hands as fast as possible.  

He's the President. What he says carries a LOT of weight.

He's downplayed this whole thing every chance he has gotten. And you can see the effects right here. Millions of people claiming it's no big deal and the flu is so much worse. Those people are much less likely to get tested and/or quarantine. Which will lead to more people getting it.

All he had to do from the start was take it seriously, tell everyone to listen to the experts, and get out of the way. That's it.

But he had to make it all about himself, as usual.
I don’t disagree with any of this. But I still think some of the criticism is unfair, because despite the dumb talk his actions have been fine IMO

I don’t disagree with any of this. But I still think some of the criticism is unfair, because despite the dumb talk his actions have been fine IMO
"Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

--

What specific actions has the fed gov't taken? What about the lack of testing? 

Like not getting tested when he came in contact with someone who has the coronavirus?  Not leading by example is a problem!

Like not getting tested when he came in contact with someone who has the coronavirus?  Not leading by example is a problem!
Honestly unless he shows symptoms I think it’s the right decision. If he were to have the virus it would increase the panic by a lot. 

"Except for that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

--

What specific actions has the fed gov't taken? What about the lack of testing? 
The lack of test is a bad mistake by the government which they seem to have come close to resolving. It was certainly not deliberate and I can’t imagine Trump had anything to do with it. 

You stressed how mild the coronavirus is, like a mild cold. I said to check out the conditions in Italy and you pivoted to testing. This is NOT a mild cold for many people no matter what you want to believe. Italy's hospitals are overflowing and they're choosing which patients get treatment and which ones don't because they're so overcrowded.

And again, just a few weeks ago they were us.
The statistics show the majority are mild which is why the spread will be uncontainable which sucks but the good news is the majority will have mild symptoms. Sorry guys I have to work today, no bunker for me until this weekend. Unless companies and schools send everyone home not sure what we do. 

Honestly unless he shows symptoms I think it’s the right decision. If he were to have the virus it would increase the panic by a lot. 
I do not understand this at all. Its completely irresponsible. If he has it he could be spreading it to other people he comes in contact with. He could be spreading it around the highest levels of government. If he has coronavirus, he needs to self-quarantine.

There’s no debate that we as a nation are handling this much worse than other countries. We’ll see how big a price we pay.

Hard to have faith in Trump making the right moves with the things he says to us.

There’s no debate that we as a nation are handling this much worse than other countries. We’ll see how big a price we pay.

Hard to have faith in Trump making the right moves with the things he says to us.
Imagine the outrage if Trump tried to pull what Italy or China pulls and quarantine everyone.  Yeah, I'm sure we'd all go for that right?

Do you think his 2018 cuts had anything to do with it?
Wouldn’t surprise me, but if that was the case Is suspect it would have been reported on. 

From what I’ve heard and read, Trump made the right and excellent decision by shutting down the flights from China early on. That gave the government breathing space, time to get prepared. But instead of doing so they froze in indecision, did very little, and allowed the extra  time to waste away. Is that Trump’s fault because he sought to downplay the possible effects of the virus, or because he cut people and money the year before? Possibly. I don’t know. 

We’re handling it differently because we’re a freer society and we don’t like to restrict individuals. That’s part of it. The other part is mistakes, disorganization, and stupid statements by the President. 

The lack of test is a bad mistake by the government which they seem to have come close to resolving. It was certainly not deliberate and I can’t imagine Trump had anything to do with it. 
As I said earlier - I don't think we will ever know the answer to that.

The system broke somewhere.

Data, information, and science-based recommendations should have been flowing up the Org chart at CDC, and then decisions should have been flowing back down.

The only thing we can say with certainty - bad (or no) decisions were made.  What we don't know is whether decision-makers were given bad data, or if the data was filtered too much as it went up the chain, or, if this was simply bad decision making at the top.

It would not shock me if Trump was given all the data, and said, he preferred to keep things under wraps to not create a panic.  It also would not surprise me if data was filtered/downplayed as it made its way from CDC scientist to CDC Director, to Azar to Trump - such that Trump was never given an accurate picture.  (Even in that scenario, I would put some blame on the environment created by Trump to only present information that makes him look good). 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread