What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Makary from Johns Hopkins just stated on CNBC that every household should have 3 months worth of food and there will be 1000 people a day in the US dying....  :oldunsure:
330M US population.  Assume 10% gets sick (conservative estimate, i think) = 33M cases.  Assume 1% fatalities, and we are looking at 330k.  That's not far from 1000/day.

I think 1000 people dying a day is conservative.

And yes...good time to buy a gun and ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
330M US population.  Assume 10% gets sick (conservative estimate, i think) = 33M cases.  Assume 1% fatalities, and we are looking at 330k.  That's not far from 1000/day.

I think 1000 people dying a day is conservative.

And yes...good time to buy a gun and ammo.
BTW: because we have not dealt with this appropriately, we are probably looking at 3-4%.  The difference in total fatalities is around a million.  This piss-poor management we are seeing right now may eventually be responsible for a million deaths.

Pelosi: “We’re close to an agreement, subject to the exchange of paper and hope to have an agreement tomorrow.”

From WaPo:

Trump’s 10-minute Oval Office address Wednesday night reflected not only his handling of the coronavirus crisis but, in some ways, much of his presidency. It was riddled with errors, nationalist and xenophobic in tone, limited in its empathy, and boastful of both his own decisions and the supremacy of the nation he leads.

Futures for the Dow Jones industrial average fell in real time with virtually each word Trump uttered, signaling a lack of confidence among investors that he had control of the crisis and previewing another bloodbath once the markets opened Thursday morning.

Ben Rhodes, a senior White House aide who helped former president Barack Obama script and manage his responses to numerous crises, predicted that Wednesday night’s address will stand as “the moment people associate with the fact that Donald Trump failed the biggest test of his presidency.”

“I think we’ll look back on this as a defining moment of the Trump presidency because it speaks to larger concerns that people already had about Trump — that he can’t tell the truth, that he doesn’t value expertise, that he doesn’t take the presidency seriously enough,” Rhodes said.

As often is the case after Trump gives a major speech, his Republican allies offered a chorus of praise on television and social media for his “fantastic speech” and “decisive actions” and “unique strength.”

Inside the White House, however, aides and advisers privately acknowledged that Trump failed to accomplish the primary goal of his speech — reassuring the nation — and described it as disappointing and far from his best performance.

If NPR story is correct, and he ordered testing to be stonewalled to reduce perceptions, then a pox on him and his entire administration. Even if not true (which fits his mo), his bungling of this crisis and denial of science and empathy are startling. 
If nothing else...his initial treatment of skepticism and near denial of the issue was dangerous.  But some won’t ever be able to admit to that.

It appears Trump has thoroughly washed his hands of any responsibility for CV19, in less than 20 seconds.. 
Why do you say that? Did he make another idiotic statement?

Btw, the governor of my state, Maryland, who is a Republican in a very blue state gave an excellent press conference. He made some hard decisions (closing  schools) on scarce information, but insteas relied on technocratic experts to inform him.  I'm proud that Larry Hogan is governor of Maryland, even if I never voted for him.

Why do you say that? Did he make another idiotic statement?

Btw, the governor of my state, Maryland, who is a Republican in a very blue state gave an excellent press conference. He made some hard decisions (closing  schools) on scarce information, but insteas relied on technocratic experts to inform him.  I'm proud that Larry Hogan is governor of Maryland, even if I never voted for him.
All his statements have been idiotic. His supporters should begin to see this if they listen to credible sources like Dr. Fauci instead of 2 old guys who don't understand or believe much about science. 

We are lucky to have him.  Him blocking travel from China early saved countless lives.  He deferred to the health experts as he should and they have done a great job other than the shortage of testing kits.  
He didnt actually block travel from china.  You know this, right?  I mean...can we at least agree in basic facts?  And don't blame the health experts in testing kits to pass the buck either...poor form.

A Travel ‘Ban’?

For starters, health experts say Trump was wrong to refer to the travel restrictions as a “travel ban,” as he did in a telephone interview on March 4 with Fox News’ Sean Hannity. During a town hall on March 5, Trump said he “closed down the borders to China and to other areas that are very badly affected.” That’s not accurate.

As Azar explained when he announced the travel restrictions on Jan. 31, the policyprohibits non-U.S. citizens, other than the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, who have traveled to China within the last two weeks from entering the U.S.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/the-facts-on-trumps-travel-restrictions/

One man, Donald Trump, has jeopardized the health of millions and caused potentially trillions in economic losses because of his narcissism and ego. 
Haven’t been able to read everything today just seeing headlines, tweets etc...Like millions of people last 2 days have been a whirlwind...but no one would be surprised if these things are true who has paid attention. Even his big fans know it. 

Sneegor said:

We are lucky to have him. Him blocking travel from China early saved countless lives.

Trump's failure to block foreign travel from China prior to last month, and his continuing failure to block travel from hundreds of other countries, will result in countless deaths.

I wonder if our president is going to use his twitter machine to calm the citizens of the country he was elected to run?...oh wait he's tweeting right NOW! Let's go live...

@realDonaldTrump

Sleepy Joe Biden was in charge of the H1N1 Swine Flu epidemic which killed thousands of people. The response was one of the worst on record. Our response is one of the best, with fast action of border closings & a 78% Approval Rating, the highest on record. His was lowest!

7:20 PM · Mar 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Trump's failure to block foreign travel from China prior to last month, and his continuing failure to block travel from hundreds of other countries, will result in countless deaths.
He didn't even actually block travel.  People (us citizens or family of citizens) were still able to come back. 
And yeah...its odd to highlight maybe the only thing he dod right and keep harping on that...but not unexpected.

This has been blundered by our government. 

I wonder if our president is going to use his twitter machine to calm the citizens of the country he was elected to run?...oh wait he's tweeting right NOW! Let's go live...

@realDonaldTrump

Sleepy Joe Biden was in charge of the H1N1 Swine Flu epidemic which killed thousands of people. The response was one of the worst on record. Our response is one of the best, with fast action of border closings & a 78% Approval Rating, the highest on record. His was lowest!

7:20 PM · Mar 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Yeah that whole unity talk in the speech last night...back to just straight up misinformation, lies, and propaganda about his political rivals.

Yeah that whole unity talk in the speech last night...back to just straight up misinformation, lies, and propaganda about his political rivals.
What polls is he even talking about? Are they running Covid-19 election polls instead of, you know, dealing with the problem?

Mr. Ham said:
One man, Donald Trump, has jeopardized the health of millions and caused potentially trillions in economic losses because of his narcissism and ego. 
Absolutely untrue.  Full stop.

Trump is just a man.  blame should fall on those that voted for him and continue to support him, even today.

Apparently he ordered testing not be done to keep numbers down. And he gutted CDC for pandemic preparedness. And his absent credibility led investors to have no confidence in his leadership and transparency. He is assumed to be a big conman liar, which matters at times like these.
yet people still support him.

trump is a symptom.

• February 10: Trump says without evidence that the coronavirus “dies with the hotter weather”
  • February 24: Trump baselessly claims the situation is “under control”
  • February 25: A senior White House official falsely claims the virus has been “contained”
  • February 25: Trump falsely claims Ebola mortality was “a virtual 100%”
  • February 25: Trump falsely claims “nobody had ever even heard of Ebola” in 2014
  • February 26: Trump wrongly says the coronavirus “is a flu”
  • February 26: Trump baselessly predicts the number of US cases is “going very substantially down” to “close to zero”
  • February 26: Trump wrongly says the flu death rate is “much higher” than Dr. Sanjay Gupta said
  • February 27: Trump baselessly hints at a “miracle”
  • February 28: Trump baselessly hints at an immigration link to the virus
  • February 29: Trump exaggerates Tim Cook’s comments about Apple and China
  • March 1: Azar wrongly says 3,600 people have been tested
  • March 2: Trump falsely claims “nobody knew” the number of US flu deaths
  • March 2: Trump says a vaccine is coming “relatively soon”
  • March 4: Trump falsely claims Obama impeded testing
  • March 4: Trump wrongly says as many as 100,000 people died of the flu in 1990
  • March 4: Trump says “the borders are automatically shut down”
  • March 4: Trump says he believes there was a coronavirus death in New York, though there hadn’t been one
  • March 4: Trump falsely claims the Obama administration “didn’t do anything” about H1N1
  • March 5: Trump misleadingly describes a Gallup poll relating to his handling of the virus
  • March 5: Trump wrongly claims the virus only hit the US “three weeks ago”
  • March 6: Azar wrongly claims there is no test shortage
  • March 6: As the number of cases and deaths in Italy rises, Trump says the number is “getting much better”
  • March 6: Trump falsely claims anybody can get tested if they want
  • March 6: Trump exaggerates the number of people on the Grand Princess cruise ship
  • March 6: Trump falsely says US coronavirus numbers “are lower than just about anybody”
  • March 6: Trump baselessly muses that “maybe” the coronavirus improved US jobs numbers
  • March 9: Pence says Trump’s “priority” was getting Americans off the ship

So "incredibly lucky' to have such a creator and pusher of "fake news" and outright liar as our President.   :tfp:

• February 10: Trump says without evidence that the coronavirus “dies with the hotter weather”
  • February 25: A senior White House official falsely claims the virus has been “contained”
  • February 25: Trump falsely claims “nobody had ever even heard of Ebola” in 2014
  • February 26: Trump baselessly predicts the number of US cases is “going very substantially down” to “close to zero”
  • February 26: Trump wrongly says the flu death rate is “much higher” than Dr. Sanjay Gupta said
  • March 4: Trump says he believes there was a coronavirus death in New York, though there hadn’t been one
  • March 4: Trump falsely claims the Obama administration “didn’t do anything” about H1N1
  • March 5: Trump misleadingly describes a Gallup poll relating to his handling of the virus
  • March 6: As the number of cases and deaths in Italy rises, Trump says the number is “getting much better”
  • March 6: Trump exaggerates the number of people on the Grand Princess cruise ship
  • March 6: Trump falsely says US coronavirus numbers “are lower than just about anybody”
  • March 6: Trump baselessly muses that “maybe” the coronavirus improved US jobs numbers

So "incredibly lucky' to have such a creator and pusher of "fake news" and outright liar as our President.   :tfp:
At some point you must get tired of making things up, correct?

Seems like all that is a matter of opinion.

Apparently he ordered testing not be done to keep numbers down. And he gutted CDC for pandemic preparedness. And his absent credibility led investors to have no confidence in his leadership and transparency. He is assumed to be a big conman liar, which matters at times like these.
He did? Where did you hear this? Is this another anonymous source? Somebody close to the situation? Somebody heard something from somebody else?  

Please, do tell.

Do you guys even realize how easy you're being led?  Come on, man.

I haven't blocked out anything, I never said word one about culpability by POTUS, he has some, you listed valid points to that affect.

I only addressed the constant posting of dis-information, specifically the claim that he called the virus a hoax.  No matter what justification someone tries to tie to the situation, it's a lie and has no place being posted
This post has been sticking with me. Couldn't quite put my keyboard on it. Maybe this is what I was thinking of.

JbizzleMan said:
What polls is he even talking about? Are they running Covid-19 election polls instead of, you know, dealing with the problem?
Well...if nothing else...you know the polls don't matter and all suck...unless they seem favorable to him.

As someone else said...probably an older poll anyway.  But sadly, thats how this administration has worked.

Right off the bat...the hot weather thing was so dumb.  It isn't about it dying...its about more people being outside rather than indoors which helps slow it being spread.

He is dangerous from the standpoint of acting like he knows something...but he is almost always speaking out of pure ignorance on any number of issues...mainly out of not actually listening to the experts who are telling him the facts.

Ahh...I see "blatant falsehoods" being posted yet again with nothing to back it up...so interesting from the "new guy".

I will. Will you ask the same for everybody else?

Or you just going to ignore all the blatant falsehoods, hysteria and downright nonsense being posted in these forms by those that agree with you?
No, because as far as i know, I don't believe in blatant falsehoods.  If you have evidence to show otherwise, ill be happy to reconsider. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread