What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How will CV affect the NFL? (2 Viewers)

The NFL will have different return timelines for players who test positive for COVID-19 depending on their symptoms.  

Symptomatic players will be sidelined for a minimum of 10 days. Asymptomatic players can return in as few as five days if they produce "two consecutive negative PCR virus tests separated by 24 hours." The league's entire coronavirus flow chart can be found at the link below. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jul 4, 2020, 2:23 PM ET

Profootballtalk reports the NFLPA has proposed 80-man rosters for training camp this season. 

That reduction of 10 per team would mean 320 fewer summer jobs for the union's membership. That would be an unheard of ask in normal times, but normal times these are not. Per PFT, the union is also requesting "no more than 20 players in a given facility at one time during the initial acclimatization period," with that number doubling to 40 after 21 days. Both sides have a lot of work to do in COVID-19 talks. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Jul 4, 2020, 4:59 PM ET

Speaking to Profootballtalk, an anonymous GM said the league's communication on the COVID-19 pandemic has been "virtually nonexistent." 

“Most head coaches and General Managers get info from (PFT) or Twitter," the GM claimed. “I would love to be told what we can and can’t do, so we can plan and figure things out," were the words of a head coach. "When the league office sets boundaries, they just think you magically know what to do.” The coach believes the successful draft was the "worst thing that happened" because commissioner Roger Goodell "thinks he’ll be right on moving ahead toward the season.” There is some melodrama in these statements, but so far the league's approach to the pandemic has been one of blunt force. That might work in a practice-less offseason, but reality is rapidly setting in. Every other North American sports league has blundered into one disaster after another as they attempt to restart play. The NFL is sorely mistaken if it thinks it can avoid that same fate without a comprehensive plan. 

Jul 5, 2020, 3:48 PM ET

Oh good, it's just as I thought. Men not as smart as the smartest men in the world aren't really up to solving the problems that the smartest men in the world can't really solve.

Huh. There ya go. 

Speaking to Profootballtalk, an anonymous GM said the league's communication on the COVID-19 pandemic has been "virtually nonexistent." 

“Most head coaches and General Managers get info from (PFT) or Twitter," the GM claimed. “I would love to be told what we can and can’t do, so we can plan and figure things out," were the words of a head coach. "When the league office sets boundaries, they just think you magically know what to do.” The coach believes the successful draft was the "worst thing that happened" because commissioner Roger Goodell "thinks he’ll be right on moving ahead toward the season.” There is some melodrama in these statements, but so far the league's approach to the pandemic has been one of blunt force. That might work in a practice-less offseason, but reality is rapidly setting in. Every other North American sports league has blundered into one disaster after another as they attempt to restart play. The NFL is sorely mistaken if it thinks it can avoid that same fate without a comprehensive plan. 

Jul 5, 2020, 3:48 PM ET
No one hates the NFL as much as Mike Florio.  

No one hates the NFL as much as Mike Florio.  
I would look at it just the opposite way. The people that really want an NFL season to be successful are just gobsmacked that there isn't any sort of "plan" put in place other than business-as-usual. Seems to me goodell has just put his fingers in his ears and is pretending the pandemic doesn't exist which means there is almost NO chance the season goes off as planned.

Dunno if the NBA plan will work..... but at least people would have to admit it's A PLAN dealing with the realities of 2020. Maybe the NBA plan has a ~50% chance of working? It would be difficult for me to believe anyone honestly thinks what the NFL is going to do has a better than 5% chance of going off without a hitch. Keep in mind the word "hitch" in this context could include a death count of people in and around the league. They are pretty much hoping for a miracle vaccine being available to everyone by the end of August by pretending the pandemic doesn't exist and won't affect the schedule in any way.

I don't like Florio much and think he often has terrible takes, but in this case he's just stating water is wet. You don't have to "hate the NFL" to realize goodell is doing his best captain Ahab impression and that 2020 TV network money is his white whale. If goodell continues to bungle this maybe it's time for the first black NFL commissioner.

I would look at it just the opposite way. The people that really want an NFL season to be successful are just gobsmacked that there isn't any sort of "plan" put in place other than business-as-usual. Seems to me goodell has just put his fingers in his ears and is pretending the pandemic doesn't exist which means there is almost NO chance the season goes off as planned.

Dunno if the NBA plan will work..... but at least people would have to admit it's A PLAN dealing with the realities of 2020. Maybe the NBA plan has a ~50% chance of working? It would be difficult for me to believe anyone honestly thinks what the NFL is going to do has a better than 5% chance of going off without a hitch. Keep in mind the word "hitch" in this context could include a death count of people in and around the league. They are pretty much hoping for a miracle vaccine being available to everyone by the end of August by pretending the pandemic doesn't exist and won't affect the schedule in any way.

I don't like Florio much and think he often has terrible takes, but in this case he's just stating water is wet. You don't have to "hate the NFL" to realize goodell is doing his best captain Ahab impression and that 2020 TV network money is his white whale. If goodell continues to bungle this maybe it's time for the first black NFL commissioner.
The nba is already not working.  Even if they manage to finish the season--is it really a proper finish?  You have teams like Indiana where one of their main players in Oladipo is not coming back.   You're going to have teams that were rolling that had a 3 month hiatus during the course of the season where some players havent touched a basketball.   Already with only 13 man rosters in a situation where they are trying to keep everybody within the confines of one city--they are having major issues. Even if they finish up the season--it will be impossible to not put an asterisk next to that title if the bucks, lakers or clippers  don't win.   

With the NFL--you have exponentially larger rosters, and they are going to attempt to fly around every week.   Also--most professional basketball players do not fit the category of being high risk in regards to the lethal danger of covid.  My guess is that many NFL players would actually fit the Category of obese and being high risk dangers for covid.   From the outside in--the report sounds pretty accurate.  The NBA plan feels a lot more thought through than the NFL's and even that is hitting some major roadblocks. 

I hate to say it, but it almost seems like attempting this is a bad idea. So many variables come into play. Seems so improbable any if these seasons will be a success.

DallasDMac said:
Gross Negligence - Even if a waiver states that you agree not to hold the company responsible for injury, the courts may hold a company liable for injuries arising out of gross negligence in the case of extreme recklessness or disregard for safety.

I doubt a signed waiver will stop a flood of litigation when fans get sick.
Those waivers are generally not worth the paper they are printed on.

The nba is already not working.  Even if they manage to finish the season--is it really a proper finish?  You have teams like Indiana where one of their main players in Oladipo is not coming back.  
He's not coming back due to an unrelated (to Covid) injury. He's actually going into the bubble and will sit on the bench.

He's not coming back due to an unrelated (to Covid) injury. He's actually going into the bubble and will sit on the bench.
My point was that even if the NBA does finish--is it a proper finish?  He was playing before the shut down--and is hesitant to ramp up activities after being forced to take a 3 month hiatus.  He also said himself he's not sure if he's exactly sure how he feels about the NBA bubble in Orlando.    If general--if I was a free agent after this year in any sport--I'm not sure I'd want to risk massive future earnings for the sake of playing for a reduced salary this year.   This is just one of a ton of challenges for the major sports.  I hope it works out but my confidence level is not very high.  

Shader's simple plan for success.

1. NFL finds 32 colleges in the Northeast and assigns every team a college. (Let's face it, colleges won't be playing football this year, especially small ones)

2. NFL players are tested 3 times a week.

1. NFL finds 32 colleges in the Northeast and assigns every team a college. (Let's face it, colleges won't be playing football this year, especially small ones)

Better find the domes there. The Northeast is virtually unplayable in December. Note the Patriots' record at home there in Dec. and Jan. 

I hate to say it, but it almost seems like attempting this is a bad idea. So many variables come into play. Seems so improbable any if these seasons will be a success.
I won't be the least surprised if when baseball or NBA resumes that they have a huge setback and have to re-cancel or something.

As starving as I am for live games and content (though not starving enough to watch nascar or formula 1 or cornhole)   at this point I'm really not even that excited for the nba season to be concluded or for MLB and I love Royals baseball.

It's also getting harder to see the possibility of of the fall sports working especially at the high school and collegiate levels.

My point was that even if the NBA does finish--is it a proper finish?  
I think this might be the biggest part of the problem.

- For these leagues a proper finish is one where the networks will pay full price for the content.... no matter how bad the level of play is. In this sense I think the NBA may have the inside track because it really only takes a few dozen stars to make games watchable. Keep in mind the NBA will mostly be playing playoff games so they are actually playing for something which adds drama even if the level of play is lower. In the case of baseball/football they have to get through an entire SEASON(even if it's abbreviated) before a playoff game is played and they need so many more participants just to play the game. At least with baseball I don't think the lower level of play will be nearly as obvious.... but maybe that's because I'm not a baseball fan in the first place. The NFL is the most physical, requires the most players/coaches, and the diminished level of play is going to be painfully obvious. 

- For the networks a proper finish simply depends on ratings. They are paying big money for big ratings and there is certainly a pent up demand so ratings may be fairly high, especially at first. With the NBA having playoff games there's a pretty good chance fans will tune in even if there are problems. With the NFL the level of play(I would guess somewhere between pre-season level and scab games) may actually lose audience way, WAY before they get to the playoffs assuming the league isn't forced to shut things down well before the playoffs.

- For the players a proper finish depends on the player imo, as we've discussed in this thread before. I'm guessing the bottom half of the NFL will absolutely be willing to take a risk so they don't lose one of their 2-4yr career. If I were a star, especially one that had any future guaranteed money either way, I don't know why I would take such a risk. Some will probably think it makes them seem more manly or tougher playing through no matter what. 

- For the fans a proper finish is probably out of reach no matter what. That's why I think it's disingenuous for sports media folks to claim, "Well if you want a season the only way it will work is........". Well, there won't be a season played at a level we have come to expect no matter what happens. More often than not those "journalist" sound like arm chair generals that are more than willing to risk the health of others so they have something to write about, podcast about, etc. Just think about the statement, "We can't outrun the virus". WTF? 

I won't be the least surprised if when baseball or NBA resumes that they have a huge setback and have to re-cancel or something.
Any league pretending that they can criss-cross the country staying in hotels in a new city every week and everything will be just fine is completely kidding themselves. I don't care if you test them 30 times a day. It's not the players you have to test multiple times every day it's every person in transit/hospitality/food preperation that they come in contact with.... in 30+ cities? Good luck.

Not saying this is a bad plan, but I don't understand it completely.

1. Are you saying that those college campuses will be closed and empty(other than the NFL teams and their coaches/trainers)?

2. I honestly think all pro athletes will be tested more often than that. It wouldn't be shocking to me if there was a test before every full contact practice(which might result in fewer contact practices).

No matter what, you have a much better plan than anything goodell has come up with in the past several months.

Doesn't matter, whatever the story is his take is negative toward the league.  He hates it.

:lmao:   What does the bolded have to do with anything?  A black man would automatically be doing this better than Goodell?  Would someone who is red or yellow or light brown? 

Any league pretending that they can criss-cross the country staying in hotels in a new city every week and everything will be just fine is completely kidding themselves. I don't care if you test them 30 times a day. It's not the players you have to test multiple times every day it's every person in transit/hospitality/food preperation that they come in contact with.... in 30+ cities? Good luck.
I saw / heard somewhere the other day (PFT, the morning TV version?) that there has been talk of teams traveling game day only, flying in on chartered planes, riding straight to the stadium, riding back to the plane immediately after the game, and flying back home . . . all in one day, no staying in hotels, no eating in restaurants, etc.. That seems very taxing for the visiting team, but in theory would reduce exposure to people from city to city. I am guessing teams flying across the country and then trying to play a football game right away would be at a huge disadvantage . . . a West Coast team traveling east might have to leave at 3 AM to get to a game an hour before game time. But there are going to have to be some huge changes and concessions to be able to get games to happen.

I saw / heard somewhere the other day (PFT, the morning TV version?) that there has been talk of teams traveling game day only, flying in on chartered planes, riding straight to the stadium, riding back to the plane immediately after the game, and flying back home . . . all in one day, no staying in hotels, no eating in restaurants, etc.. That seems very taxing for the visiting team, but in theory would reduce exposure to people from city to city. I am guessing teams flying across the country and then trying to play a football game right away would be at a huge disadvantage . . . a West Coast team traveling east might have to leave at 3 AM to get to a game an hour before game time. But there are going to have to be some huge changes and concessions to be able to get games to happen.
I would assume they would change start times to allow for enough travel time if this was the case.  I am not sure how that would play out but seems like a really, really bad idea regardless.

My point was that even if the NBA does finish--is it a proper finish?  
If my team (the Knicks) won the Championship ( :lmao: ) I would not be able to care less if some one felt it wasn't a proper finish. They made it to the finals as an 8th seed in 2000 and I didn't care if it was tainted because it was a strike shortened season.

With all of that said, of course I have doubts this will all work out fine. I sure hope so but I'd be far from shocked if the NFL plays zero games this season.

If my team (the Knicks) won the Championship ( :lmao: ) I would not be able to care less if some one felt it wasn't a proper finish. They made it to the finals as an 8th seed in 2000 and I didn't care if it was tainted because it was a strike shortened season.

With all of that said, of course I have doubts this will all work out fine. I sure hope so but I'd be far from shocked if the NFL plays zero games this season.
The Knicks aren't playing in the Orlando bubble, so yeah, I think people would have a problem and would call it an improper finish if they won the championship this year. That being said, it will be interesting to see which sport (if any) in America will make it to the finish line and declare a champion decided on the field of play.

The Knicks aren't playing in the Orlando bubble, so yeah, I think people would have a problem and would call it an improper finish if they won the championship this year. That being said, it will be interesting to see which sport (if any) in America will make it to the finish line and declare a champion decided on the field of play.
Yeah I know, hence the  :lmao:  - point being the fans of whatever team wins the Tournament aren't going to care about some guy on a message board calling it "improper" - and I'm speaking generally not calling out jvdesign.

Yeah I know, hence the  :lmao:  - point being the fans of whatever team wins the Tournament aren't going to care about some guy on a message board calling it "improper" - and I'm speaking generally not calling out jvdesign.
I think we will see a lot of weird things going on in a lot of sports that are either a) restarting and trying to finish a season, b) trying to play an abbreviated season, or c) minimizing practices and preseasons and making up stuff almost on the fly. We have no idea which athletes have been working out, who put on 20 pounds, who is out of shape, who might pull a hamstring and miss a series, which teams will click, etc. As a for instance, the Nationals last year after 60 games would not even have made the playoffs and then caught fire. For baseball, any team could have a decent stretch for 60 games. In basketball, it would not shock me at all if the Bucks or the L.A. teams fell flat on their faces. There won't be any continuity in hockey or basketball . . . the break lasted way too long. I heard a discussion earlier today that NFL teams with top defensive units should have a big advantage to start the season as it was predicted that the offenses would be out of sync for quite a while. Things will be interesting by just being different. But at the end of any given season (assuming they can get through a season), whomever wins is going to count their championship just like every other prior title winning team.

In College, the Ivy and some FCS are about to punt to Spring.  The P5 isn’t.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports there remains "no decisions" on how to structure training camps this summer. 

Pelissero also reports camps "should" still begin on July 28. "Should" is the most modest of hedges, but it is still notable after a summer of zero hedging. Pelissero expects a "fight" with the NFLPA over how camp and the preseason will be organized. Worried about catching COVID-19, players are pushing for zero preseason games and smaller rosters. Compared to North America's other major sports leagues, the NFL has had a charmed pandemic offseason, but that is slowly changing as the reality of one difficult decision after another sets in. 22 days isn't much time to solve a host of vexing problems. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jul 6, 2020, 10:48 PM ET

Profootballtalk reports the NFL and NFLPA have reached an agreement on 2020 travel protocols. 

Per PFT's Mike Florio, the agreement posits that there will be a preseason, though that is apparently still being negotiated. It had been proposed that visiting teams travel and return the same day, but it appears that has been scrapped. Every member of the traveling team will be required to wear masks, and buffets have been outlawed. That may seem minor, but it will make it infinitely more difficult to feed a group of literal linemen. If the league manages to pull it off, 2020 will be a season like no other, hopefully to never be repeated. 

Jul 7, 2020, 6:50 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the league has proposed that 35 percent of 2020 player salaries "be held in escrow." 

Pelissero reports it would be to "help manage costs during the 2020 season." Basically, a third of player salaries would be deferred until conditions are better at a later date. That does not sound like something that is going to fly. The NFL seems to be getting a belated start on major, foreseeable issues. It is realizing blunt force will not be solving coronavirus-related issues. With training camp supposedly beginning three weeks from today, the clock is ticking.  

Jul 7, 2020, 6:17 PM ET

I am with the sect that is looking for a mercy killing on these seasons. It is simply not worth it and the result in any sport in terms of validity, success, did it carry a huge asterisk, etc, is just not worth it.  When the NFL's 9 game season ends with the Atlanta Falcons beating the Baltimore Ravens largely due to the fact that 14 Ravens starters and a few coaches couldn't participate...the football world will feel cheated, cheapened, and jilted. 

None of us are naive enough to think that the only reason this is being pushed is not because of this notion that America needs sports or we need to have some normalcy in our lives (normalcy is not burying a family member or members of your community over this)...its because of money, money, money, and this hubristic notion that the NFL can just brute force any agenda and get what they want.  If they do this, they will leave a wake of casualties in the swath, covered by settlement money and false apologies. 

We all love sports. Safe to say we wouldn't be on this site if we didn't. But we need to be less myopic and see a bigger picture here. 

The Ravens outlined plans in the event fans are allowed to attend home games during the 2020 season, stating the seating capacity will be reduced below 14,000 seats.

Season tickets for 2020 will also be deferred to the 2021 season. Wikipedia states normal seating capacity for M&T Bank Stadium is 71,008, so just 20 percent of normal seating could be available. From a league-wide level, this aspect of COVID-19 safety is a total unknown, including possible competitive advantages for teams residing in different states. Hopefully the next three weeks to two months includes an outline that keeps everyone's safety as the No. 1 priority.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 8, 2020, 1:50 PM ET

Shutout said:
I am with the sect that is looking for a mercy killing on these seasons. It is simply not worth it and the result in any sport in terms of validity, success, did it carry a huge asterisk, etc, is just not worth it.  When the NFL's 9 game season ends with the Atlanta Falcons beating the Baltimore Ravens largely due to the fact that 14 Ravens starters and a few coaches couldn't participate...the football world will feel cheated, cheapened, and jilted. 

None of us are naive enough to think that the only reason this is being pushed is not because of this notion that America needs sports or we need to have some normalcy in our lives (normalcy is not burying a family member or members of your community over this)...its because of money, money, money, and this hubristic notion that the NFL can just brute force any agenda and get what they want.  If they do this, they will leave a wake of casualties in the swath, covered by settlement money and false apologies. 

We all love sports. Safe to say we wouldn't be on this site if we didn't. But we need to be less myopic and see a bigger picture here. 
I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said but the asterisk is silly to me. If anything it will be the hardest title to ever win. 

I just saw the Ivy League has cancelled all fall sports.

That could be just the first domino to drop in terms of team sports this fall.

American sports starts tonight with the MLS. Let’s see how it goes - they are in a bubble at least so they have a better chance of a success.

The NFL has banned jersey swapping as part of its COVID-19 protocol for the 2020 season. 

Great. Now what about solving some of the actual problems staring the league right in the face? What happens when a player tests positive? What happens if a city bans gatherings of a certain size and does not exempt the NFL? What happens in the event of a full-scale breakout in a locker room? What happens when a player wants to opt out of the season? The NFL is having a ball solving the pandemic's micro problems but is running out of time to get serious about the big issues. 

Jul 9, 2020, 12:36 PM ET

Players react to NFL's dumb mandate: tackling yes, postgame jersey exchange no

I was offered to suspend my season tickets for the season and wait until 2021.  I have the choice of refund or credit for next season. 

Doesn't matter, whatever the story is his take is negative toward the league.  He hates it.

:lmao:   What does the bolded have to do with anything?  A black man would automatically be doing this better than Goodell?  Would someone who is red or yellow or light brown? 
Never mind. I was thinking that goodell looked lost had clueless BUT that was before I heard about his latest plan to fight covid. Now that the players won't be exchanging jerseys after the game problem pretty much solved. It would be difficult to replace a forward thinking problem solver like goodell whether they were black, brown, purple or red.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports fans, wherever allowed, will be required to wear "face coverings" indoors. 

As highlighted over the past month, the front office has a way of dodging pressing issues concerning the players and fans, instead opting for positive PR and whimsical spin to lessen the blowback. Nothing has been resolved regarding the preseason schedule, practices, training camp, economics, player options, gameday inactives and city-wide legislation for group gatherings. The league is running out of time to answer actual issues that could potentially halt the season from starting altogether.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 10, 2020, 11:13 AM ET

shadyridr said:
No jersey swapping after 60 minutes of smashing into each other may take the cake of dumb regulations.
I expect goodell to announce a 2020 moratorium on kissing booths in stadiums next week, after he's rested over the weekend to really mull it over.

BoltBacker said:

Never mind. I was thinking that goodell looked lost had clueless BUT that was before I heard about his latest plan to fight covid. Now that the players won't be exchanging jerseys after the game problem pretty much solved. It would be difficult to replace a forward thinking problem solver like goodell whether they were black, brown, purple or red.
I stand corrected.  Florio defended Malcolm Jenkins dismissing Desean Jackson's antisemitism as no big deal.  So shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread