Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

2020 Greatest of All Time Sports Draft- Judges are doing an INCREDIBLE job

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Second, like every other category I missed, such as auto racing, I missed it because I didn’t think of it. It was a screwup on my part, not a deliberate decision. I didn’t make any deliberate decisions to exclude any categories. After I set up my original list I invited everyone to come up with anything I missed and I think I accepted all suggestions. So the actual truth is nobody here thought of it; we all screwed up. Too late now. 

ok cool. 

I actually did post about it but then after I figured you were so over the top in how much you disregarded the sport in your original list that I ended up deleting/hiding the post as I figured you were doing all the work, you should not get any grief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11.12 1975-76 Indiana Hoosiers, Greatest College Basketball Teams

32-0, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner, and Scott May

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, joffer said:

11.12 1975-76 Indiana Hoosiers, Greatest College Basketball Teams

32-0, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner, and Scott May

This is one of four teams I think should be given major consideration for the #1 spot overall. Wire-to-wire #1, couple tight rivalry games but just curb stomped everyone else.

The starting 5 is probably the most cohesive in NCAA history - 4 returning starters, 4 seniors and a junior, 7-man rotation except for the frequent blowouts, legendary coach.

They started off the year trouncing the reigning World Champion Soviet Union team, opened the season beating the #2 ranked & defending champion UCLA by 20, and dominated the tournament (closest game was 9.) Michigan hung with them for a half in the final - actually led by 6 at the break -  but lost by 18.

You wanna know what’s crazy? The 1974-75 Indiana might have been better. That squad had 4 starters who were All Big Ten, consensus #1, lost by 2 to Kentucky in the Elite 8 with their best player (May) playing in an arm cast. Two years: 63-1 overall, 37-game conference winning streak.

Awesome team.

Edited by BobbyLayne
typos
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joffer said:

11.12 1975-76 Indiana Hoosiers, Greatest College Basketball Teams

32-0, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner, and Scott May

If @SWC or any other Bucks guys with long memories are around ... I would love to know something from a local about why Benson turned into a so-so pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Doug B said:

If @SWC or any other Bucks guys with long memories are around ... I would love to know something from a local about why Benson turned into a so-so pro.

rough start? 

Quote

Two minutes into his very first game as a professional, Benson elbowed Los Angeles Lakers center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the abdomen, and Abdul-Jabbar broke Benson's jaw with a retaliatory punch

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

If @SWC or any other Bucks guys with long memories are around ... I would love to know something from a local about why Benson turned into a so-so pro.

foot speed - turning radius of an old Eldorado

 

*not a local*

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

foot speed - turning radius of an old Eldorado

 

*not a local*

slightly better turning radius than Mokeski.

I saw Mokeski play in the CIF So Cal playoffs against Verbum Dei for Crespi High.  They had that G Hamilton and another really good player.  Think it was Naulls' son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

slightly better turning radius than Mokeski.

I saw Mokeski play in the CIF So Cal playoffs against Verbum Dei for Crespi High.  They had that G Hamilton and another really good player.  Think it was Naulls' son.

I remember that Verbum Dei team- all those guys went to UCLA 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I remember that Verbum Dei team- all those guys went to UCLA 

It was David Greenwood I was thinking of with Roy Hamilton.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:
2 hours ago, Doug B said:

If @SWC or any other Bucks guys with long memories are around ... I would love to know something from a local about why Benson turned into a so-so pro.

foot speed - turning radius of an old Eldorado

 

*not a local*

i was just going to say that he was just slower versus nba guys than he was versus big 10 guys and he also did not have bob knight riding his butt every minute of every game and frankly i always felt like he would take plays off take that to the bank brohans 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SWC said:

i was just going to say that he was just slower versus nba guys than he was versus big 10 guys and he also did not have bob knight riding his butt every minute of every game and frankly i always felt like he would take plays off take that to the bank brohans 

What are your thoughts on Drew Brees? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's up?  We need to power through some picks.....haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a few drinks tonight, prepare for some potential drunk posting. I am not sure what the sports thread equivalent to italicized lyrics is, but I will find it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Having a few drinks tonight, prepare for some potential drunk posting. I am not sure what the sports thread equivalent to italicized lyrics is, but I will find it. 

Whatcha got?

I'm drinking Dale's Pale Ales from the cleanest cans ever - cloroxed wiped, warm and soapy watered, and thoroughly dried.  That was the easy part.  Driving home without touching my pollenflated eyes was a beleepitybleeper.  Hope to be exposing some 420 to high heat tomorrow, and Sunday; will recover on Monday, my mandatory, sacrificial "day off."  ... Still on call 24x7 (rolls eyes) .

Saving my Xocoveza for tomorrow.  Gonna go out on a limb and predict I have a one-week banning coming my way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

Whatcha got?

I'm drinking Dale's Pale Ales from the cleanest cans ever - cloroxed wiped, warm and soapy watered, and thoroughly dried.  That was the easy part.  Driving home without touching my pollenflated eyes was a beleepitybleeper.  Hope to be exposing some 420 to high heat tomorrow, and Sunday; will recover on Monday, my mandatory, sacrificial "day off."  ... Still on call 24x7 (rolls eyes) .

Saving my Xocoveza for tomorrow.  Gonna go out on a limb and predict I have a one-week banning coming my way.

Wife and I had some wine with dinner but she is slammed and has to get back to work on the computer.  

My favorite brewery had a can release today. They did it right. Order online and pay by CC. It's pick-up any 3 days this weekend. I drive up, they all have masks and are spraying what I assume is alcohol on their gloves after each car. I show the license through the window and pop the trunk, they drop it in. Real professional set-up.

Tone by Homes (NE IPA) 

Also, vaping some tropicana cookie. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mister CIA did you see my "panic" pick? Hope you don't hate, it got mixed reviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

@Mister CIA did you see my "panic" pick? Hope you don't hate, it got mixed reviews. 

Brees?

I live on the outskirts of Breesusville.  I don't like Brees personally because he strikes me as a "look at me guy" and he's a abject stat-padder (and he ####ing choked in the 2019 playoffs!), but stat-padding counts in horseshoes and timdrafts. He's a solid pick.

ETA: He's a "look at me" guy that thinks he does not act like a "look at me" guy.  I love some guys because of their look at me (<== italics!).

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

Brees?

I live on the outskirts of Breesusville.  I don't like Brees personally because he strikes me as a "look at me guy" and he's a abject stat-padder (and he ####ing choked in the 2019 playoffs!), but stat-padding counts in horseshoes and timdrafts. He's a solid pick.

I was all lined up to take Saban and was in the middle of working out and was getting a million texts about little things to do for work. I was kind of annoyed and when I saw Saban was gone, just kind of went off into something realm since we hadn't talked about him at all. I think he's the best QB at the Brady, Montana, Manning trio but I can see others mistakenly putting a few others in front of him. Maybe you should handle the next pick lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

I was all lined up to take Saban and was in the middle of working out and was getting a million texts about little things to do for work. I was kind of annoyed and when I saw Saban was gone, just kind of went off into something realm since we hadn't talked about him at all. I think he's the best QB at the Brady, Montana, Manning trio but I can see others mistakenly putting a few others in front of him. Maybe you should handle the next pick lol. 

No prob.  Statistically, he's up there.  Don't know who is judging the category, but if it's old school kind of guy, I expect a few old school QBs will rank higher than Brees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

No prob.  Statistically, he's up there.  Don't know who is judging the category, but if it's old school kind of guy, I expect a few old school QBs will rank higher than Brees.

Guys with less records and the same or less SB wins. But that's just my 2 cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brees is a good pick - I don’t think I was overly critical, but the guy did make a phenomenal leap after 4 years of Martyball. The NOLA combo doesn’t have the legacy of BB/TB but it’s def elite.

Brees & his wife just donated $5M to a Coronavirus thing, and he was incredible after Katrina. Seems like a good dude. The guy he plays is a db & throat-punch worthy, but I don’t have any issue with the Drew persona.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as we're done by Easter. I wanna go to church with the President.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

It was David Greenwood  

Good Lord, that guy could leap. I'm pretty sure it was him I saw pin a shot on the backboard above the square.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t look like I missed much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kal El posts a lot on political subjects...I’m wondering if he got in trouble. Let’s wait through the end of the day and then decide what to do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

@Kal El posts a lot on political subjects...I’m wondering if he got in trouble. Let’s wait through the end of the day and then decide what to do. 

Confirmed that he's out for 7 days with Rude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

Confirmed that he's out for 7 days with Rude.

can't his son reverse time by spinning the planet backwards, ergo erasing the temp ban hammer?

:popcorn:

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Confirmed that he's out for 7 days with Rude.

Is Rude another user or is that the reason for a 7 day ban?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let’s skip and look for replacement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jagov said:

Is Rude another user or is that the reason for a 7 day ban?

Rudnicki is a moderator

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, joffer said:

let’s skip and look for replacement

I don’t think we should skip him without looking for a replacement first. Any watchers here willing to take his place (at least for a week)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If nobody volunteers by the end of the day to replace Kal El we’ll skip him and let him catch up later. But let’s give it until the end of today. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, timschochet said:

@Kal El posts a lot on political subjects...I’m wondering if he got in trouble. Let’s wait through the end of the day and then decide what to do. 

Trumpkin or Bernie Bro?

5 hours ago, timschochet said:

I don’t think we should skip him without looking for a replacement first. Any watchers here willing to take his place (at least for a week)? 

Week is, what, 2-3 picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Trumpkin or Bernie Bro?

Week is, what, 2-3 picks?

Probably more like 4-5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Confirmed that he's out for 7 days with Rude.

Any idea what he posted? This was bound to happen with several people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All right for now, Kal El is on auto skip. I have Higgins pick and he selects Bobby Knight, college basketball coach. 

I am up next,will pick in a few...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Any idea what he posted? This was bound to happen with several people. 

Doesn’t take much. I’ve been around for 15 years / 35K posts & never been reported or received a warning.

Then...

...one day last summer I offered to someone a user name was still available.

As in (hypothetical) Ilov80s posted “Might have to change my User name” & I chimed in helpfully “Iloved|cks hasn’t been taken.”

Got a week off.

Political forum is Serious Business

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

I will go with Brooks Robinson, greatest infielder. 

@wikkidpissah for two. 

Vacuum cleaner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

11.16 Seattle Slew, Greatest Horse

If Secretariat was a tank, Slew was a missile. Sleek, narrow, heat-seeking, deadly. Human equivalent - Kevin Garnett. But he had a killer instinct from the start his basketball counterpart took years to develop. The will was apparent in him and the best of his get. And he, not Secretariat, became the stud of the Bold Ruler line whose breeding meshed best with the Northern Dancer line which came to dominate the sport and is one of only three or four studs who, 5-6 breeding generations on now, you can still see his type identifyingly on the the track.

12.1 Cal Ripken Jr., Infielder

There'd been a few exceptions but, generally, shortstops were small, wiry guys. 6'4? - you gotta be kidding me. But he played, stayed, played - every out for 15 years or whatever. And excelled, even without considering the iron achievement (though the stats were possibly tempered by that). Gehrig no more, no ARod without him. I'd like to put him up as just a player, because there was never more of a player, but he's so dominant as an infielder, Shortstop of the Century,  i gotta put him there.

 

 

backatcha @timschochet

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ripken prolly my favorite player of all time

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lee Roy Selmon of Oklahoma, college football defensive player. 

I will email higgins and let him know he’s up.

 

Edited by timschochet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have another pick for Higgins but I’m reluctant to make 2 from the same list. So I’m going to wait until tomorrow morning to see if he wants to enter it himself on the spreadsheet. If he doesn’t I will pick for him again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.