Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JohnnyU

Democrats block Senate CV Stimulus Package

Recommended Posts

Just now, msudaisy26 said:

The partisanship in here about Pelosi is hilarious. She isn't a hero or national treasure and she is not even in the same Galaxy as the worst representatives we have ever had. 

I don’t agree with the first part. She’s the most effective politician I’ve ever seen. But beyond that she saved the nation in 2008. Without her TARP doesn’t go through and the economy collapses. She saved Obamacare in 2009. She kept the Democrats unified through a dozen crises. She defied the far left and kept the Democrats centrist and pro-business. Then she risked everything in order to impeach Donald Trump because it was the right thing to do and her constitutional duty. 

This might be her greatest test yet. We are looking at an even worse collapse than 2008, and the Republican trickle down plan, without major changes, would likely not have made much of a difference. Pelosi wisely ignored McConnell and negotiated directly with Mnuchin. We’ll know if it worked in several months, but it may be that she was this nation’s savior twice in 13 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

Meh. Most of even the anti Trump crowd has said the house dem bill was bad.

Not saying it wasn’t. But so was the GOP bill. They are both at fault is my point.  Both are to busy pushing agendas to actually take care of their Constituents. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dkp993 said:

Not saying it wasn’t. But so was the GOP bill. They are both at fault is my point.  Both are to busy pushing agendas to actually take care of their Constituents. 

Oh i agree. It sucked.

And in wouldn't support anyone who was for or worked in either of those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Exactly. She is an effective speaker of the house though.

Meh..her time is done. Ready for a dem speaker younger than 80

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Summer Wheat said:

Meh..her time is done. Ready for a dem speaker younger than 80

Maybe...but not while Trump is in office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I don’t agree with the first part. She’s the most effective politician I’ve ever seen. But beyond that she saved the nation in 2008. Without her TARP doesn’t go through and the economy collapses. She saved Obamacare in 2009. She kept the Democrats unified through a dozen crises. She defied the far left and kept the Democrats centrist and pro-business. Then she risked everything in order to impeach Donald Trump because it was the right thing to do and her constitutional duty. 

This might be her greatest test yet. We are looking at an even worse collapse than 2008, and the Republican trickle down plan, without major changes, would likely not have made much of a difference. Pelosi wisely ignored McConnell and negotiated directly with Mnuchin. We’ll know if it worked in several months, but it may be that she was this nation’s savior twice in 13 years. 

I will disagree on a few things. 

First off is the unity of the party. The Democrats aren't even close to unified. As far as saving Obamacare, for what? It has been mostly a disaster from the start. I don't believe they impeached Trump because it was the right thing to do. And now if this is true she is trying to push agenda during a crisis. That is not good, and I am not saying she is the only one doing it. Get the stupid bill passed and work on the partisan crap later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Maybe...but not while Trump is in office.

I agree but if Trump wins again can she hang on another 4 years?  Or do you think she will retire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stealthycat said:

yes, if GOP tried to add a bunch of stuff in a 9-11 bill, and kept aid from being distributed because of it ?   absolutely the same thing

Republicans held up the Zadroga Health and Compensation Act in 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

I agree but if Trump wins again can she hang on another 4 years?  Or do you think she will retire?

Not sure...if so they need someone with the gumption she has to face him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

I will disagree on a few things. 

First off is the unity of the party. The Democrats aren't even close to unified. As far as saving Obamacare, for what? It has been mostly a disaster from the start. I don't believe they impeached Trump because it was the right thing to do. And now if this is true she is trying to push agenda during a crisis. That is not good, and I am not saying she is the only one doing it. Get the stupid bill passed and work on the partisan crap later. 

The Democratic are a split party with no real direction. We have the "progressive dems, the socialist dems,the moderate dems"   All have a different vision.  Plus now we are putting up a 78 year old candidate, I know Trump is 72 but everyone I work with who is young thinks Biden does not have it.   Discouraging to say the least. 

Edited by Summer Wheat
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Meh..her time is done. Ready for a dem speaker younger than 80

She has never been more popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msudaisy26 said:

I will disagree on a few things. 

First off is the unity of the party. The Democrats aren't even close to unified. As far as saving Obamacare, for what? It has been mostly a disaster from the start. I don't believe they impeached Trump because it was the right thing to do. And now if this is true she is trying to push agenda during a crisis. That is not good, and I am not saying she is the only one doing it. Get the stupid bill passed and work on the partisan crap later. 

Yea I long for the days of a Dem leader like Tip O'Neil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dkp993 said:

When you’re on one side all you see is the other.   (*collective “you” not just you specifically)

Trust me pound for pound the right here is is every inch as culpable.  

Why is the right just as culpable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Why is the right just as culpable?

Because pound for pound they complain just as much as the anti-T crowd.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

Because pound for pound they complain just as much as the anti-T crowd.  

Are you calling me fat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Man In The Box said:

This probably isn’t the time or thread for this, but yes postal service workers earn a lot of leave. They also waste A TON of money. They micromanage, the letter carrier craft especially, at a ridiculous level these days. Everything Kevrunner posted is accurate, at least in what I’ve witnessed in my 21 years working there. 

The point I was trying to make in that post was the postal service throws around overtime like candy and once that stops and they need financial help, that's when congress needs to step in.   I didn't know you are a letter carrier, I worked in a P&DC facility and we had the local carriers also stationed in our building, man those guys work so hard compared to what we had to do.   It's easy to see why so many new carriers quit pretty soon after they are hired, most of America has no idea how hard the letter carrier job is.  After 35 years, my body was just beat to crap, can't imagine what a letter carrier goes thru after working a lot of years.  Be safe out there.

I didn't want to post any more about the postal service in this thread, but, what the heck, just today the postal service announced they are looking to hire 1000 people in the Northern Bay part of California.  Let's help the post office later and take care of Americans who need $$$$ today was the only point I was trying to make.   Here is a link, in case anyone knows someone who is looking for work in that area:

1000 Workers Needed In Northern California

 

 

Edited by Kevrunner
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sneegor said:

Are you calling me fat?

No, you’re just big boned.  

Edited by dkp993
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that both sides are using this emergency health crisis to fill a relief bill with their pigs in a blanket is a perfect example of how fundamentally broken the system in Washington has become. 

pathetic.  

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, zoonation said:

The fact that both sides are using this emergency health crisis to fill a relief bill with their pigs in a blanket is a perfect example of how fundamentally broken the system in Washington has become. 

pathetic.  

could not agree more.  All of these clowns should be voted out.  We need a law that says something like in times of emergency, bills can only have items that relate to the issue on it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zoonation said:

The fact that both sides are using this emergency health crisis to fill a relief bill with their pigs in a blanket is a perfect example of how fundamentally broken the system in Washington has become. 

pathetic.  

Now I want pigs in a blanket and I don't have any.  :hot:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

You've completely made something up, attributed it to ME saying it and then argued against that.   You can do better.  Be better.

And I'm pretty sure you have no idea what "Socialism" means.

No...I do.  I know exactly what it is.  I also know exactly how you've defined it.  You've told me yourself.  It's what allows me to observe you trying everything in your power to somehow make this different from the exact same things you were railing against just a few weeks ago.  

If we go by real definitions of socialism, this package nor the most popular proposals by Bernie are that.  What isn't true is that one set of proposals IS socialist and one set ISN'T, but it's entertaining to watch you try and wish them to be different.

NONE of this sideshow changes the fact that the House passed it's legislation on to the Senate making your comment that the Dems are holding things up completely false.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:
11 hours ago, Sneegor said:

@greenroom

How come you didn't highlight this obvious troll post?

This isn't a troll post. If you know anything about Tim from his posts here it is he absolutely loves Nancy Pelosi. If she was younger I am sure he would lead a very vocal charge for her to be the President someday. 

And you'll also see several of us calling his regard for her way overblown

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Senate has reached a deal. I blame the delay on both parties as they were likely both including some pork for their constituents but I am pleased they got it right because the Democrats insisted that their will be an Inspector General and bipartisan panel overseeing the 500 billion that will go to large companies and how it is spent. That was worth the delay IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Looks like the Senate has reached a deal. I blame the delay on both parties as they were likely both including some pork for their constituents but I am pleased they got it right because the Democrats insisted that their will be an Inspector General and bipartisan panel overseeing the 500 billion that will go to large companies and how it is spent. That was worth the delay IMO

Sounds like they still have to vote on it though and since they have people in quarantine they can’t even figure out how to do that, be lucky if this thing passes by the end of the month

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Looks like the Senate has reached a deal. I blame the delay on both parties as they were likely both including some pork for their constituents but I am pleased they got it right because the Democrats insisted that their will be an Inspector General and bipartisan panel overseeing the 500 billion that will go to large companies and how it is spent. That was worth the delay IMO

Not done yet, but it's looking good.  Pork removed and another good day for the Dow coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the real story is Democrats block bill for 48 hours to dramatically improve it and ensure it actually works as economic stimulus. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

So the real story is Democrats block bill for 48 hours to dramatically improve it and ensure it actually works as economic stimulus. 

No, they tried to slide in some pork and no dice to the worst of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Now I want pigs in a blanket and I don't have any.  :hot:

I just want toilet paper is that in the bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gopher State said:

I just want toilet paper is that in the bill

Isn't that subsiding yet?  My boss indicated there was plenty at home depot yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

No, they tried to slide in some pork and no dice to the worst of it.

Or they threatened to, so that they had enough leverage to get the GOP to accept the changes that were needed. The Art of The Deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

No, they tried to slide in some pork and no dice to the worst of it.

Sen. Chris Coons: "The things that Democrats stood firm for — expanding unemployment, helping states and counties, investing in hospitals, transparency on the big fund — I think it was worth a day wait."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now they have to go through and reconcile the two bills correct?  Given that these things start in the House, I'm not really sure what the Senate was even doing other than attempting to muddy the waters.  Looks like the "give blind trust of $500 billion to the administration" was removed....that would be the "pork belly" of this pork analogy.  Good to see that gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zoonation said:

The fact that both sides are using this emergency health crisis to fill a relief bill with their pigs in a blanket is a perfect example of how fundamentally broken the system in Washington has become. 

pathetic.  

As I said in the other thread...its about keeping the dow up and "bribing" voters with money in an election year more than it was about helping people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, timschochet said:

Deal is done. Good job by all. 👍 

insanely pathetic job by all.  They could have started the process the day you started your airline bailout thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Commish said:

By the way....did we get a final list of what's in the bill?

$250 billion 1/8 of which goes to individuals...

$350 billion just over 1/8 to small business loans...

$250 billion 1/8 for unemployment benefits...

$500 billion1/4 for the bigger business loans (thankfully with more protections this time...including barring congress, the administration and other top government officials barred from receiving them)

$50 billion for airlines...(people may debate this...glad its not a bigger number...but still)

$130 billion for hospitals (glad this is bigger than the airlines

$150 state billion for local governments...yes definitely needed

That is all that is "detailed" in the article...$1.68 Trillion...so where is the other approximately $320 billion is the interesting question?  Which pet projects of each side wins out?

According to the article posted in the response thread...

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/25/politics/stimulus-senate-action-coronavirus/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

insanely pathetic job by all.  They could have started the process the day you started your airline bailout thread.

And would have probably cost us less overall too...aid gotten there faster lessening the tax payer burden.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

And would have probably cost us less overall too...aid gotten there faster lessening the tax payer burden.

I think this is what I hate most about our country now. We have become reactionary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

I think this is what I hate most about our country now. We have become reactionary. 

I would take reactionary at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

❤️

As part of the anti-corruption portion of the stimulus bill, Elizabeth Warren ensured that Trump businesses and properties were prohibited from receiving any government aid.

❤️

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

❤️

As part of the anti-corruption portion of the stimulus bill, Elizabeth Warren ensured that Trump businesses and properties were prohibited from receiving any government aid.

❤️

She sure showed that billionaire. :lol:  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When do I get my money and how much?

Edited by lod001
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lod001 said:

When do I get my money and how much?

Does anyone have the details of how this played out? How much was it capped at the different income levels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First article I am seeing looks like they settled on if you make over 75k or 150k in the household you get nada. $500 per kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The General said:

First article I am seeing looks like they settled on if you make over 75k or 150k in the household you get nada. $500 per kid.

That's what I'm seeing for caps.  Middle class non-business owners get a "thanks but no thanks".

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The General said:

First article I am seeing looks like they settled on if you make over 75k or 150k in the household you get nada. $500 per kid.

I think those making between $75k/$150k and $99k/$198k will get something but less than $1200/$500. Those above that will get nada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Apple Jack said:

I think those making between $75k/$150k and $99k/$198k will get something but less than $1200/$500. Those above that will get nada.

Thanks. Do you have a link? Every article I have read this morning is crap on details.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.