What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will THIS event be this year's "Talk of the Draft"? (1 Viewer)

Is this the big one?

• Yes

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 41 89.1%

• Total voters
IMO, if he were planning on retiring he would have done so before the new NFL season rolled over. It would have allowed DET to consider free agents and allow them notice to work on a pending salary cap mess. He was having one of his best seasons last year and I haven’t seen a peep about him hanging up his cleats. The chance is greater than zero, but he is still signed for 3 years for $51 million and could be forced to repay $30+ million. I am not sure Stafford is going to walk away from $80 million. 
a life altering injury does a lot of things to a wise man. we'll know by the draft, like i said. If tua is the pick, then im pretty sure he's walking

a life altering injury does a lot of things to a wise man. we'll know by the draft, like i said. If tua is the pick, then im pretty sure he's walking
I somewhat agree but think it would take a lost season. He’s in for this year regardless of draft pick.

I actually don't think Stafford is like Luck at all. Of course these are all armchair impressions but Luck seems very analytical, maybe an over thinker and always seemed uncomfortable with all the attention (Calvin, Barry had similar traits). Stafford is much more comfortable and has always given me the impression of a guy who feels totally at home in the NFL- a Favre type. 

Last edited by a moderator:
is it? drafting Tua for at worst next season is still probably a good idea (if you trust his health)
You started the thread discussing Tua getting drafted by the Lions AND Stafford getting traded to the Patriots. If you want to simply drop half of what you started the thread on, feel free. But Stafford going to NE was part of your initial premise.

You started the thread discussing Tua getting drafted by the Lions AND Stafford getting traded to the Patriots. If you want to simply drop half of what you started the thread on, feel free. But Stafford going to NE was part of your initial premise.
First Take's (and then cowherd) premise, not mine.

The discussion has been fluid, and the more we spoke, the idea of drafting Tua regardless (with staffords longterm uncertainty) came into play.

Once NEs 2m of cap space was revealed by someone, it became pretty obvious for the purpose of the topic that Stafford to NE was almost impossible.

First Take's (and then cowherd) premise, not mine.
Why is a premise of First Take worthy of starting a thread about?  Let's face it, Stephen A. Smith is certainly entertaining as heck, but his football knowledge and insight is pretty limited, and of course I think at this point everyone knows how clueless Max Kellerman is when it comes to football, so again I ask: why is a premise of First Take worthy of starting a thread about?  Imagine if we started threads every day about the stupid crap Skip Bayless probably says (which is on an equally asinine level).

The idea of Lions dealing Stafford for a haul and drafting Tua was something Movethesticks podcast discussed back in January or early Feburary. They did not specify NE back then, I think they discussed Raiders, but more in a general sense with regards to teams Stafford could be dealt and just overall said it's the kind of thought Lions should at least take the time to analyze internally.

I don't think it had a lot of legs in general due in large part to the one response I already gave in this thread and that is job security of Quinn and Patricia and they'd only do a move like this if they felt they could convince ownership to essentially guarantee their return in 2021. But based on pure football merit back in January it had some merit as something worth talking about possibly happening at least.

Again that conversation was back in January or early February and was a worthwhile talk in my opinion of at least considering possibility of Lions trading Stafford for a haul and rebuilding with Tua. But nothing since then has made this slim possibility stronger.

The two major problems that have arisen since with respect to getting a haul on Stafford and drafting Tua are to me:

Stafford- getting a haul for him is complicated on two fronts. Covid-19 making it virtually impossible for a team to acquire him without a physical and his back issue might scare teams off. The second items is Cam, Winston are FA's, Dalton can be had, it's a glut of veteran QB's on the market.

Tua-again Covid-19 has made his medicals a question mark. It's part of why I don't think anyone is trading up for him and the Lions won't want to draft him at 3.

Much more likely talk of the draft is who the Lions trade back with, what they get and what other offers were on the table 

Much more likely talk of the draft is who the Lions trade back with, what they get and what other offers were on the table 
And from the other end of things the talk of the draft to me is whether the new regime in CAR and the old regime in JAX are really content to sit there and take a non-QB. Personally, I have a hard time imagining either of those teams are completely happy with their QB situations. If one or both of those teams jump ahead of MIA there is going to be a lot of pressure for another team to jump that team.

MIA/LAC/CAR/JAX should all be interested in drafting Tua/Herbert no matter how much they slow play it. I wouldn't even be surprised if OAK were to move up and trade Carr to one of them. Gruden has a reputation of falling in love with QB's so it just depends on whether those two guys are on his "crush list" this year or not.

0% chance the Patriots trade for Stafford. Not unless he played for the league minimum and the Lions ate all his bonus money, which would never happen.

I'd say there is some chance the Lions draft Tua(or even Herbert) and sit him for a year behind Stafford, and maybe unload Stafford the following season. Its likely a long shot, but that scenario isn't completely impossible. 

I already have a side bet that the first pick by the lions (whatever spot that ends up being) will be an Ohio State product.  He has the rest of the schools combined.

Users who are viewing this thread