What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has the cure become worse than the disease? (1 Viewer)

Has the cure become worse than the disease?

• Yes

Votes: 55 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 159 67.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 22 9.3%

• Total voters
At some point you have to get off the couch and adapt to the new normal. You may be able to stay on the couch all year but most of our country can’t afford to. Also opening up doesn’t mean going back to the way things were, most of us will adapt and take the added precautions. Then if you still don’t want to, you can keep staying home no one is making you do anything.  Nice dramatics though.  :rant:
There is nothing dramatic about my statement. It’s purely facts. You can save your condescension for somebody else. My livelihood and business is affected more than most as it’s centered around group gatherings.  No one wants us through this more than me and despite my business being shut down I’m busier than ever canceling 950 weddings.  I’m most certainly not “sitting on my couch” , nice try though.  

To downplay the seriousness of this like some of you have been is disingenuous at best and disgusting at worst.  

Last edited by a moderator:
GoBirds said:
At some point you have to get off the couch and adapt to the new normal. You may be able to stay on the couch all year but most of our country can’t afford to. Also opening up doesn’t mean going back to the way things were, most of us will adapt and take the added precautions. Then if you still don’t want to, you can keep staying home no one is making you do anything.  Nice dramatics though.  :rant:
That's the funny thing about pandemics. If my neighbors are off doing dumb s##t, it makes me less safe even if I'm not doing any of those things. Partly that's because I'm not living in a bunker 24/7, so when I do go out there's a higher probability that I will get infected. And partly it's because the worse we do at containing the virus, the longer people will have to stay home. The vast majority of us don't want to -- and in many cases, can't afford to -- stay home, but we would also rather not die. What we want is for the government to take the steps that will make it safer to open up the economy rather than opening too soon and prolonging the pandemic. I honestly don't understand why this is even a partisan debate; shouldn't everyone want that rather than insisting that we're facing some kind of Sophie's Choice?

2200 deaths today

acceptable new normal? anyone?

agreed we have to learn to  live with Covid-19, that is our new reality. will be for another 12-18 months. I got tested for antibodies yesterday, get results a Monday (highly likely I had a mild case, people all around me at church & the food pantry have been positive.)

we’re not close to fully reopening. we need more testing and we tracing teams. go too slow and we suffer economically (& that will have a trickle down effect on the most at risk in our society), rush it too much without proper planning & you’ll have an unnecessary tragedy.

it’s not a binary issue/problem.

Reported US coronavirus deaths on date:

Feb. 25: 0 deaths

Mar. 25: 938 deaths

Apr. 25: 53,755 deaths

Yep, nothing to see here.  It’s only 50k deaths, how many people died in car accidents this year, or from the flu, or smoking, or drowning....  oh wait 50k in 1 month.  Yeah, nothing here ya’ll. Just being dramatic. 

Reported US coronavirus deaths on date:

Feb. 25: 0 deaths

Mar. 25: 938 deaths

Apr. 25: 53,755 deaths

Yep, nothing to see here.  It’s only 50k deaths, how many people died in car accidents this year, or from the flu, or smoking, or drowning....  oh wait 50k in 1 month.  Yeah, nothing here ya’ll. Just being dramatic. 
They were going to die anyway, amirite? Shameful people believe that.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
They were going to die anyway, amirite? Shameful people believe that.
old people die, people with multiple illnesses die .... the flu, pneumonia, covid-19 ... those viruses hit those people harder

absolutely without a doubt fact

of the 55,000 reported dead from covid-19 .... how many would have succumbed to another virus in the next 8 weeks? we don't know - but we DO know people die

old people die, people with multiple illnesses die .... the flu, pneumonia, covid-19 ... those viruses hit those people harder

of the 55,000 reported dead from covid-19 .... how many would have succumbed to another virus in the next 8 weeks? we don't know - but we DO know people die
Far less than 55,000, I am comfortable in saying.

• Thanks
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-brooklyn-inmate-rikers-island-rape-arrest-coronavirus

I wonder if that woman thought it was all worth it ?

New Zealand .... what's their biggest metro area? about the size of New York ? Seattle? LA ?

Throw out all the big cities in the USA where covid19 really has hit ... and what's the rural count ? That's equatable to New Zealand isn't it ?
I love how they like to compare countries with small populations to the US to try and prove their point.  Ridiculous.

New Zealand has 4.8 million people total.  That's about 1/5th the size of the NY Metro area. 

I love how they like to compare countries with small populations to the US to try and prove their point.  Ridiculous.

New Zealand has 4.8 million people total.  That's about 1/5th the size of the NY Metro area. 
Ok, fair point.  So why when the earth as a population of almost 8 billion we have 25% (and rising) of the deaths from this yet we have about 4% of the population 

• Thanks
Yeah, I think it was this one guy, what was his name? Oh that's right, Michael McDoesn'texist.
Do a search in here along the lines of "America has most deaths Covid" and you'll find out just how many posters in here ran with that, completely ignoring China's fake count.  It was "AMERICA MOST DEATHS!! TRUMP!!" all day, every day in here.

I mean, you knew you could do that and still posted what you did.

Do a search in here along the lines of "America has most deaths Covid" and you'll find out just how many posters in here ran with that, completely ignoring China's fake count.  It was "AMERICA MOST DEATHS!! TRUMP!!" all day, every day in here.

I mean, you knew you could do that and still posted what you did.
I clearly posted in both here and elsewhere, stating about "recorded deaths," using Worldometer as my source. Now, everybody knows China's reporting is very likely inaccurate on the low end of the spectrum, but because we can't know that for sure, we're forced to use the stats we have, as I have explained to you and others several times.

What is also true is that whatever China's numbers actually are, it has zero bearing on the United States' federal response, or more accurately the lack thereof, to this pandemic. Trump downplayed this at the start, gave out bad medical advice, abdicated his leadership role to the 50 state governors where they could bear the brunt of anything that went wrong, attempted to claim authority over things he had no right to claim, and has repeatedly shown more concern for the economy than the lives of Americans who he is supposed to serve. That's not even mentioning his efforts to "liberate" certain states when the virus is still spreading. He gets called on it both here and elsewhere, and those that do are falsely accused of everything from simple lack of patriotism all the way to possible treason. Of course, surely the accusers know this nation was founded in protest of bad government, but I digress.

The federal response to this has been subpar, to put it mildly. To be accused of claiming "America bad, China good," as has repeatedly been thrown around, when questioning this response, is not only intellectually dishonest but also logically unsound. 

I know you think you’re stumping all of us with some unanswerable question, but there is actually a widely used statistical method for measuring incremental fatalities based on what would be the expected baseline for that time period. It was used in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, and I believe New York (and possibly other states) are using it now. The idea is that relying solely on positive coronavirus test results will massively undercount the actual number because so few people are actually being tested, and in some cases such as nursing homes, never even make it to the hospital.

I think we should take all virus-related numbers with a grain of salt; there’s so much we don’t understand, and so much we’re not measuring properly. But I have seen no evidence indicating we’re massively overcounting fatalities. If you know of any, I would love to see it

• Love

There isn’t a state in the US with less than 2.5x the number of deaths per capita that New Zealand has, and we’re not close to done. Our smallest state, Wyoming, has less than 600,000 people and has 3x as many deaths per capita as New Zealand.  

Also yes NZ is much smaller than the US in population so it has less people to test. It also means it has much less people with much less resources to buy, create, organize and administer tests. The US has 65x more people to test but also 65x more people available to help carry out the testing process and 35x larger economy at our disposal. Serving a smaller group is easier but the larger countries have advantages in resources and man power.

Wow, Henry Ford vs. Bladerumber. This should be an even fight.
Why do you want to fight?  We're just discussing a topic.

That's the problem here - always ready to beat down the opposition instead of trying to communicate and understand.  This high-school clique mentality you got going on is part of the problem, not the solution.

Ive deleted my posts as they were meant to be about your posts and people took them the wrong way.

But please stop spreading falsehoods about me...I did not hammer your inbox with PMs.  That is completely false...stop.
I believe you Bladerunner.  Sho Nuff used to PM me and I told him to stop as well.

Posting about NZ was intended to show that quarantines work. Also important was their high-percentage of compliance. Six weeks of so-called "pain" and they've nearly rid themselves of the virus. That means no second wave in the Fall. That means re-opening their economy with confidence.

Trump deferred responsibility to the governors of each state. Imagine if each state had the success of NZ.

I believe you Bladerunner.  Sho Nuff used to PM me and I told him to stop as well.
The pms sent were few to ask you to stop things rather than to pollute the board...as we were asked to do in such a situation in MTs thread.  Not quite as is being portrayed by you and the other.  Now kindly drop it.

The pms sent were few to ask you to stop things rather than to pollute the board...as we were asked to do in such a situation in MTs thread.  Not quite as is being portrayed by you and the other.  Now kindly drop it.
Seriously? You took your board cop shtick to PMs. Dude..relax 

What happened to the predictions of us having 2 Million deaths?

Or us having a ventilator shortage?

Or a death rate that was expected to be 3%?

Doom and gloom prognostications are not getting old, they are ruining lives unnecessarily.  

Shame on the liberal media for pedaling lies and creating false narratives for a political agenda.

What happened to the predictions of us having 2 Million deaths?

Or us having a ventilator shortage?

Or a death rate that was expected to be 3%?

Doom and gloom prognostications are not getting old, they are ruining lives unnecessarily.  

Shame on the liberal media for pedaling lies and creating false narratives for a political agenda.
Its almost as of those were based on not taking extreme steps?

Ruining lives unnecessarily?  Have a source to back ip that the measures taken were not necessary?

It wasn't lies or false narratives pushed by liberals or media.  They were projections the medical community were making.

Its almost as of those were based on not taking extreme steps?

Ruining lives unnecessarily?  Have a source to back ip that the measures taken were not necessary?

It wasn't lies or false narratives pushed by liberals or media.  They were projections the medical community were making.
Apparently medical science has an agenda, and here I thought it was to help people live longer.

• Love
Fully aware.
Dr. Birx: (16:57)
Thank you Mr. President. If I can have the first slide please. So always, and that’s what the slide is labeled, is goals of community mitigation. Really highlighting that this begins in the middle and the end with community. This community and the community of the American people that are going to have to do the things for the next 30 days to make a difference. I think you know from that large blue mountain that you can see behind me and I just want to thank the five or six international and domestic modelers from Harvard, from Columbia, from Northeastern, from Imperial, who helped us tremendously. It was their models that created the ability to see what these mitigations could do, how steeply they could depress the curve from that giant blue mountain down to that more stippled area.

In their estimates, they had between 1.5 million 2.2 million people in the United States succumbing to this virus without mitigation. Yet through their detailed studies and showing us what social distancing would do, what would happen if people stayed home, what would happen if people were careful every day to wash their hands and worry about touching their faces. That what an extraordinary thing this could be if every American followed these. And it takes us to that stippled mountain that’s much lower, a hill actually, down to 100,000-200,000 deaths, which is still way too much. 
This is the White House citing scientists, right, not some liberal fever dream?

It’s interesting how you continue to dismiss 2000+ people a day dying, the #1 killer of America everyday right now and 50k in 4 weeks.  Who again is the one with a political agenda and false narrative here?  I think the answer is extraordinarily clear for anyone without a political agenda.  

Users who are viewing this thread