What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Model rockets (1 Viewer)

dino259

Footballguy
Anyone build any model rockets?  I remember doing this in grade school and thought it maybe an interesting project for my 13 and 11 year old boys.

What comes with the kits?  Looks like they beginner sets have the launch apparatus but seems like the engines are sold separately.  I don't remember how far these things go.  There is an open park across the street about the size of a football field.  would that be big enough?

Anyone build any model rockets?  I remember doing this in grade school and thought it maybe an interesting project for my 13 and 11 year old boys.

What comes with the kits?  Looks like they beginner sets have the launch apparatus but seems like the engines are sold separately.  I don't remember how far these things go.  There is an open park across the street about the size of a football field.  would that be big enough?
My daughter was into these for a while.   You get the rocket, a parachute, some wadding for the parachute and usually an engine.   For the first one, get a full kit that includes the launch pad and ignition.   There are fully assembled ones, partially assembled ones more advanced ones that need a pretty fair amount of work to build.   If I remember right, they have a skill level rating on the box.   For a first one, the partially assembled one is fine.   Sometimes they come with the engine, sometimes they don't, but you'll want to do multiple launches so get a pack of engines too.   The engines are rated A/B/C.  The box will have recommended engines for each rocket.   Each letter designation is a different size, so more height/more risk of never seeing it again.  Football field size park is fine for A/B.

This is the easiest to just put together and launch.  A little bit of glue.  Takes about 15 minutes for a kid to build the first time.

If they want to keep doing it after that, you can use the same launcher and ignition and just build a new rocket.   After they get comfortable you can go to two-stage rockets which are harder to build, fail more often, but when they work they're really cool.   But you need a big area for it or you'll never get it back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread