What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thinking About Moving To Florida. Help please. (1 Viewer)

Snotbubbles

Footballguy
BACKSTORY: In 2016, I sold my house and my family (wife and 3 kids) moved in with my MIL for what I thought would be a year before we would buy a house either in New Jersey or the Philly suburbs. About 6 months in my MIL lost her job, had some health issues and could no longer work. So instead of moving, we bought her house, tore it down and rebuilt it from a 2 br, 1ba row, to a 4br, 3ba row home. For the last 18 months, I have been saving up to buy a summer house at the Jersey shore. So my house is new, I have a 7 years left of a 10 year tax abatement, I live in one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city (lots of sports guys lived here Rhys Hoskins, Jason Kelce, Connor Barwin a block down the street from me).

BREAKING NEWS: I have been working from home since COVID started. Our firm allows us to come into the office if we choose. Last week my employer sent an email to a group of us because we haven't been into the office since they went remote. I emailed back asking if remote work would be permanent for our group. Employer replied, at the present, they have no intention of bringing us back to the office, but if I wanted to move to a non-commutable location to touch base with them first (our firm does have others that they have allowed to work remotely from non-commutable locations even before COVID so this isn't unprecedented). My wife is a nurse so she wouldn't have any issue finding new employment if we moved.

MY QUESTION: I'm considering a move to move to Florida. I have one kid who is a sophomore in High School and one who is in 5th grade. So I would like to live in a decent school district. I am also looking to live in a suburban area near a large city (was thinking maybe Tampa area). I just need suggestions of what cities in Florida to look for houses in?

BACKSTORY: In 2016, I sold my house and my family (wife and 3 kids) moved in with my MIL for what I thought would be a year before we would buy a house either in New Jersey or the Philly suburbs. About 6 months in my MIL lost her job, had some health issues and could no longer work. So instead of moving, we bought her house, tore it down and rebuilt it from a 2 br, 1ba row, to a 4br, 3ba row home. For the last 18 months, I have been saving up to buy a summer house at the Jersey shore. So my house is new, I have a 7 years left of a 10 year tax abatement, I live in one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city (lots of sports guys lived here Rhys Hoskins, Jason Kelce, Connor Barwin a block down the street from me).

BREAKING NEWS: I have been working from home since COVID started. Our firm allows us to come into the office if we choose. Last week my employer sent an email to a group of us because we haven't been into the office since they went remote. I emailed back asking if remote work would be permanent for our group. Employer replied, at the present, they have no intention of bringing us back to the office, but if I wanted to move to a non-commutable location to touch base with them first (our firm does have others that they have allowed to work remotely from non-commutable locations even before COVID so this isn't unprecedented). My wife is a nurse so she wouldn't have any issue finding new employment if we moved.

MY QUESTION: I'm considering a move to move to Florida. I have one kid who is a sophomore in High School and one who is in 5th grade. So I would like to live in a decent school district. I am also looking to live in a suburban area near a large city (was thinking maybe Tampa area). I just need suggestions of what cities in Florida to look for houses in?

Buddy of mine just moved to Land O Lakes. About 20 minutes from Tampa and loves it!

my kid would riot if we moved before their junior year.

Buddy of mine just moved to Land O Lakes. About 20 minutes from Tampa and loves it!

Was looking there.

I'm not moving next month, I would have to sell my house first and then buy another one. Also, I would prefer my wife find a new job before we move. It would be a minimum 6 months from the time I list. I'd probably wait until December/January of her senior year to get the ball rolling.

Avoid the middle step, and just move directly to the upstate of South Carolina.

TONS of people have moved from the NE to FL, then to the upstate of SC. There's even a term for them("half-backs").

I'm not moving next month, I would have to sell my house first and then buy another one. Also, I would prefer my wife find a new job before we move. It would be a minimum 6 months from the time I list. I'd probably wait until December/January of her senior year to get the ball rolling.
South Carolina, booming industry, great local economy, perfect weather, still very affordable, etc.

I'd second putting Savannah or coastal SC up towards Charleston on your radar. Much smaller cities than Tampa though. You can check out Ponte Vedra outside of Jacksonville if you want to trade having Eagles as neighbors for Jaguars. Near Tampa seems great to live in too. Good luck!

Consider Jacksonville or one of the suburbs in Clay County across the St. John's River such as Orange Park. My sister has 4 kids, the ones who were motivated did well in public schools. One is at UF now.

An in-law moved from.Boston to Lithia, into a planned community, Fishhawk Ranch, about 25 miles south and west of Tampa. Their 2 kids are in college, they love the neighborhood.

Near where my family lives:

The areas north of tampa are nice. Wesley Chapel, Land O' Lakes area. It's a very booming area. If you didn't mind living a little further away, the parkway heads north through pasco, hernando, and citrus county. Gets a little more small town the further north you get, but you are still an hour from Tampa at most.

The areas north of tampa are nice. Wesley Chapel, Land O' Lakes area. It's a very booming area. If you didn't mind living a little further away, the parkway heads north through pasco, hernando, and citrus county. Gets a little more small town the further north you get, but you are still an hour from Tampa at most.

Land O' Lakes looks like a good spot. The schools appear to be good.

I have several colleagues that are mortgage brokers based in FL. I can reach out to them to see what feedback I get. I will also reach out to my broader Broker network and see what responses I get from it and let you know.

I moved to a suburb of Tampa right next to Land O' Lakes from New England in 2006 best move I made. Son just graduated UF debt free with his masters and all I was on the hook for was his grad school tuition, housing and food. Schools are amazing; youth sports are amazing, being 30 to 45 minutes from Tampa gives you access to Pro Sports, Concerts, The Arts (straz theater), Seminole heights where tons of great craft breweries are found, and Tampa is a foodie town. Youth hockey is also blowing up here. The Nest Hockey Academy has just applied for an expansion. Only drawback is housing prices have not dropped in this market but are actually still climbing. I would suggest renting for 6 months to a year and scope out the area and decide where you want to live whether it is Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Land O' Lakes. I would definitely consider north of Tampa instead of South of Tampa (Riverview, WIamauma, Brandon) I would prefer a home that is roughly 10 to 15 years old because they have more yard the last 4 to 5 years homes have been being built with 0 LOT LINES. Do not bring your left leaning politics here. New Yorkers already are F'ing things up by causing my taxes to increase. MFERS. Pasco County which encompasses parts of Land O'Lakes Lutz and all of Wesley Chapel our property taxes do not include any road maintenance so if your community (majority of county is planned subdivisions) gets to a point where roads need to be paved they take bids on the work and then county adds an assessment for 5 or 10 years for the paving costs. Now they are going to determine how many mills to increase our taxes to cover road work in the tax bill. Remember Florida is open carry state and yes the residents of Pasco County love there guns. Also if you live in a rural area with an acre of land you can shoot your weapons on your property into a sand hill. Also we just got a Tiger Woods Pop Stroke. Life is good here.

Wesley Chapel, Lutz, Land O' Lakes for the most part do not require flood insurance. Homeowners insurance is around 3600 to 4K for insuring a 1/2 million dollar home. Auto Insurance is insane.

What is your price range?
I will post some feedback I have got from other brokers and colleagues so far as well which are as follows with likely more to come (each seperated by different people giving feedback)....

St John's County has some of the top ranked schools & that area is hot right now!

I love Tampa but Orlando has great berbs like Winter Garden, Clermont, and Hamlin…

I live in Viera (Melbourne area). Up and coming area with great schools! We are like 45 min away from Orlando, so close, but not too close and way less congested than Tampa.

Tampa area is fire but school system is hit or miss. I tell a lot of people “buy the less expensive house just outside of the city and the extra money goes to private school”!

St Augustine or Jacksonville suburbs (st. John’s )

south Tampa has amazing schools. Super pricey tho. Westchase, waterchase, Odessa areas have great schools and are more reasonable. Still pricey but much less than south Tampa.

Wesley Chapel also has some of the most forward thinking communities in the area.

With Wiregrass Ranch which encompasses most of the land that makes up Wesley Chapel.

Wiregrass Ranch

There is also the connected city which is another initiative.

Connected City

We also have a Lagoon Community in Wesley Chapel called Epperson Ranch. Not a fan

Lagoon

There is another Lagoon Community 6 miles north in San Antonio called Mirada I do not know why they associate with Tampa Bay.

Mirada

More feedback...

Florida is a parents choice state. Even if you don’t live in a preferred school district you can apply to go to a school of choice. We live in Ormond Beach and my boys both got a school of choice.

Saint Cloud!!! It’s right outside of Lake Nona

I agree with the Winter Garden area.

St Johns & Flagler Counties suburbs to Jacksonville & Daytona in between them.

Be prepared a nurse's salary is not even close to the ballpark a nurse would make in PA NJ or NY. Also no unions here for nurses.

A couple more....

I live in the Tampa area. Good suburban areas are Wesley Chapel, Land O Lakes, Brandon, Riverview. New Tampa, Carrolwood and Lutz are also good areas. All have good schools depending on what you live within those areas.

If they want Tampa, in Hillsborough County….then North Tampa….Lutz Area. 33558 Zip Code
Steinbrenner HS
Martinez Middle School
McKitrick Elementary

Maybe discuss having your wife take a couple of travel nurse contracts prior to the move. She could check out the hospitals down there where she might like to work, and scope out the various areas for potential landing spots for the family. Plus she’d make a bunch of tax-free cash.

Maybe discuss having your wife take a couple of travel nurse contracts prior to the move. She could check out the hospitals down there where she might like to work, and scope out the various areas for potential landing spots for the family. Plus she’d make a bunch of tax-free cash.

She's been thinking about doing this for years now.

I will post some feedback I have got from other brokers and colleagues so far as well which are as follows with likely more to come (each seperated by different people giving feedback)....

St John's County has some of the top ranked schools & that area is hot right now!

I love Tampa but Orlando has great berbs like Winter Garden, Clermont, and Hamlin…

I live in Viera (Melbourne area). Up and coming area with great schools! We are like 45 min away from Orlando, so close, but not too close and way less congested than Tampa.

Tampa area is fire but school system is hit or miss. I tell a lot of people “buy the less expensive house just outside of the city and the extra money goes to private school”!

south Tampa has amazing schools. Super pricey tho. Westchase, waterchase, Odessa areas have great schools and are more reasonable. Still pricey but much less than south Tampa.

My range is $400,000 - $600,000K on a house. I really like the renting idea to kind of scope out the areas.

Consider Jacksonville or one of the suburbs in Clay County across the St. John's River such as Orange Park. My sister has 4 kids, the ones who were motivated did well in public schools. One is at UF now.

An in-law moved from.Boston to Lithia, into a planned community, Fishhawk Ranch, about 25 miles south and west of Tampa. Their 2 kids are in college, they love the neighborhood.

Near where my family lives:

Fishhawk is bougie and it's on a failed road.

More....

There are a ton of areas that fit that criteria. I am partial to Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens.

St John’s county is the number 1 school district and it’s just outside of Jacksonville.

watercolor or ally's Beach FL. I don't know your situation but there are some great homes in the 4 to 10 million dollar range there. Very safe and lots of things to do near by. We have white sand beaches and blue water. Last week people catching mahi mahi right off the beach. Another great place Is Cape San blast a home on the beach faces west and you have awesome sunsets and same thing about the sand and water there. Not much to do but a great community near port st. Joe FL. Schools I don't know about there .

Seminole is a great area.

Trinity, Wesley Chapel, Odessa and Lutz. They’re all near Tampa with good schools.

Lot of real nice areas by Tampa.
I do like Winter Garden, Windermere, lot of good cities by Orlando too.

Are they wanting beach? It that is what they want Tampa is best. Also look at Bradenton to Sarasota.

My range is $400,000 - $600,000K on a house. I really like the renting idea to kind of scope out the areas.
Renting could get you a feel for an area before marrying an area. You can look up school districts in Florida if that is the driving factor for you with a site like https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/
If you want to be by a large city... that would pretty much be the Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa and Orlando. If you have spent time in FL around those areas then you can decide what you like or don't like among those 4 to focus in a little more with the rankings and what you like. Then dive into the suburban areas of the winner from there.

My thought on renting is you might want to avoid that if possible. It isn't a big deal to move for you guys but for kids it sucks once they get use to an area and make friends and get use to school etc. So testing an area out may not be the best. If you aren't sure of an area for living there... try to pair it down to a couple you like and then spend long weekends there to 'test' it out. For the sake of the kids, I would really try to commit to an area after putting the time and effort into really deciding this is the place versus we think we like it, lets rent a year to find out and then maybe move after a year. I am sure the kids aren't excited about moving in the first place but they will really hate it after doing it twice in a year.

Make sure to keep this no politics.

And don't use this to take shots at Florida. If you have something to discuss, make the point and back it up. Save the insults for another forum.
Fair, but hard to speak about Florida without going into politics bc everything that happens here is political w the governor going for a presidential run. In more general terms...

Cost of living is up due to the insurance rates going nuts. North Florida is likely a lot easier to afford bc the south florida housing market is pricing out everyone. Even rents are crazy.
Traffic is a nightmare pretty much everywhere in the state.
If you want to avoid hurricanes then Jax area is your best bet.

If 3 bed, 2 bath is good enough, you have a shot here in Central Florida of getting something "non-fixer-upper" in that range....most around $400K are going to need a good bit of work and count on your home insurance being a minimum of $3-4K IF your roof and hot water heater are relatively new. Otherwise add a couple thousand. You'll be between 2300-2700 square feet on average. Anything bigger or more rooms is going to be out of that range unless you're willing to do a good amount of work.

One thing that you didn't mention is why you want to move to Florida. Do you just want to get out of NJ so there are other possibilities?

Florida can be kind of polarizing for a variety of different reasons so I'm always interested in knowing the reasons why Florida is the desired destination for someone. Granted, we have our own considerable problems down here and I get that no place is perfect however are you just substituting one set of challenges for another?

More....

watercolor or ally's Beach FL. I don't know your situation but there are some great homes in the 4 to 10 million dollar range there. Very safe and lots of things to do near by. We have white sand beaches and blue water. Last week people catching mahi mahi right off the beach. Another great place Is Cape San blast a home on the beach faces west and you have awesome sunsets and same thing about the sand and water there. Not much to do but a great community near port st. Joe FL. Schools I don't know about there .
This is great to hear, as I’m sure most homes at that price point are dumps.

Seriously though, how close to the beach will $400-600K get him?

More....

:lmao: Just blind feedback based off of copy and pasting his original criteria. I would hope there was some good homes in that price range. :lmao:

More....

:lmao: Just blind feedback based off of copy and pasting his original criteria. I would hope there was some good homes in that price range. :lmao:
Only some of them…buyer beware!

More....

Only some of them…buyer beware!
And all of that feedback NONE of it is from me. I don't know FL enough to give any advice on living there.

If 3 bed, 2 bath is good enough, you have a shot here in Central Florida of getting something "non-fixer-upper" in that range....most around $400K are going to need a good bit of work and count on your home insurance being a minimum of $3-4K IF your roof and hot water heater are relatively new. Otherwise add a couple thousand. You'll be between 2300-2700 square feet on average. Anything bigger or more rooms is going to be out of that range unless you're willing to do a good amount of work.

We have a 4br, 3ba, 2100 sq ft row and my wife wants to down-size, so yeah, a 3br, 2ba would do fine.

One thing that you didn't mention is why you want to move to Florida. Do you just want to get out of NJ so there are other possibilities?

Florida can be kind of polarizing for a variety of different reasons so I'm always interested in knowing the reasons why Florida is the desired destination for someone. Granted, we have our own considerable problems down here and I get that no place is perfect however are you just substituting one set of challenges for another?

I currently live in Philadelphia. So I'm looking for a suburban area. New Jersey has tax disadvantages that prevent me from moving across the river.

1. Lower tax rate. In Philadelphia, I currently pay $125 a check for Philadelphia city wage tax and about $3000 for state income tax. So I figure I could save around $5000-$6000 a year on income tax. I haven't really dove into the taxes for retirement, I still have probably 20 years before I would retire.

2. Lower crime rates. Philadelphia crime has soared under the current liberal leadership. My car sits out on the street (I live in a row house so I don't have off-street parking). I had my catalytic converter stolen, my tires, my car broken into. Drugs are rampant here, homeless people panhandling on every corner (this is not an exaggeration). I've been a victim of armed robbery. One of my family members was murdered. It's time to leave the city, nice place to visit, not to live.

3. Weather. My dream is to sit out on my pool deck, pop open my laptop and do my work. I figure I could do that for 9 months out of the year in Florida as opposed to 4 months out of the year here in the Northeast.

4. I'm looking for a more slower paced life with the ability to still move fast if I choose. That's why I'm prefer a suburb of a large city.

We have a 4br, 3ba, 2100 sq ft row and my wife wants to down-size, so yeah, a 3br, 2ba would do fine.

I currently live in Philadelphia. So I'm looking for a suburban area. New Jersey has tax disadvantages that prevent me from moving across the river.

1. Lower tax rate. In Philadelphia, I currently pay $125 a check for Philadelphia city wage tax and about $3000 for state income tax. So I figure I could save around $5000-$6000 a year on income tax. I haven't really dove into the taxes for retirement, I still have probably 20 years before I would retire.

2. Lower crime rates. Philadelphia crime has soared under the current liberal leadership. My car sits out on the street (I live in a row house so I don't have off-street parking). I had my catalytic converter stolen, my tires, my car broken into. Drugs are rampant here, homeless people panhandling on every corner (this is not an exaggeration). I've been a victim of armed robbery. One of my family members was murdered. It's time to leave the city, nice place to visit, not to live.

3. Weather. My dream is to sit out on my pool deck, pop open my laptop and do my work. I figure I could do that for 9 months out of the year in Florida as opposed to 4 months out of the year here in the Northeast.

4. I'm looking for a more slower paced life with the ability to still move fast if I choose. That's why I'm prefer a suburb of a large city.
#s 2 & 4 might not meet your expectations in FLA.

#s 2 & 4 might not meet your expectations in FLA.

For #2 my bar is Philadelphia.

Crime index number of 8 (out of 100). https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/philadelphia/crime

Land O' Lakes, Florida crime index of 63.

#4, possibly. I think any suburb I live in would be slower paced than inner city Philadelphia.

Users who are viewing this thread