What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thinking About Moving To Florida. Help please. (1 Viewer)

nothing that any of you have said makes florida seem that attractive to live in so why is everyone moving there i dont get it take that to the bank bromigos
Good weather, sans dodging hurricanes. No state taxes. Freedom to do a lot of things you normally can't in other states.
Like recreational marijuana? Oh yeah, that's not legal in Florida.

Or freedom of speech for journalists to give their opinion about public officials? Nope, can't do that either.

So what about a women's right to choose? Any freedom there? Nope, don't think so.

That's the shortlist but I'm not a fan of where things are going in Florida. It's always been kind of a f*#&edup place to live due to the people that it seems to attract (*see Florida man)

I'm actually second-guessing my son's desire to go to a state-run university in the fall due to these recent changes.

We've lived in Florida for the past 13 years and will probably stay here a while longer based on future job prospects, but we aren't as enamored with staying here as much as we were when we moved down.
If your son is not going to UF/FSU then I would second guess it also due to name recognition outside of the state of FL. UF is a top 5 public university and will continue to be that way. My son just finished his combined bachelor's/Masters program and all 55 participants in his program have got jobs with firms all across the US. He leaves the university with no debt and my all in cost for his education was 55K and his 1st year total compensation if he gets 50% of his bonus) will be 3x my all in cost for his education. I am proud and I feel UF has put him on the path to success which he now controls.
Top 5....like overall in Florida, right?
Nationally
1 University of California Berkley
2 UCLA
3 University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
4 University of Virginia
5 University of Florida

UF TOP 5 PUBLIC UNIVERSITY

nothing that any of you have said makes florida seem that attractive to live in so why is everyone moving there i dont get it take that to the bank bromigos
Good weather, sans dodging hurricanes. No state taxes. Freedom to do a lot of things you normally can't in other states.

Or freedom of speech for journalists to give their opinion about public officials? Nope, can't do that either.

So what about a women's right to choose? Any freedom there? Nope, don't think so.

That's the shortlist but I'm not a fan of where things are going in Florida. It's always been kind of a f*#&edup place to live due to the people that it seems to attract (*see Florida man)

I'm actually second-guessing my son's desire to go to a state-run university in the fall due to these recent changes.

We've lived in Florida for the past 13 years and will probably stay here a while longer based on future job prospects, but we aren't as enamored with staying here as much as we were when we moved down.
If your son is not going to UF/FSU then I would second guess it also due to name recognition outside of the state of FL. UF is a top 5 public university and will continue to be that way. My son just finished his combined bachelor's/Masters program and all 55 participants in his program have got jobs with firms all across the US. He leaves the university with no debt and my all in cost for his education was 55K and his 1st year total compensation if he gets 50% of his bonus) will be 3x my all in cost for his education. I am proud and I feel UF has put him on the path to success which he now controls.
Nationally
2 UCLA
4 University of Virginia
5 University of Florida

Wow. That's pretty impressive, I had no idea UF was that high up!

People have been moving to Florida for decades. With Democrats or Republicans in power. The constant is warm weather, no state income tax, beaches, and tourist attractions. Politics is almost never a primary reason for people to move, especially when one has a family.

Lower cost of living ... not as much anymore.
Night and day difference from when I moved to Florida in 2009 vs 2023 as far as costs go. As others have said, the no state income tax is nice but other costs make those savings go away in a hurry.
Still a great place to live but the political theater does get very tiring.

People have been moving to Florida for decades. With Democrats or Republicans in power. The constant is warm weather, no state income tax, beaches, and tourist attractions. Politics is almost never a primary reason for people to move, especially when one has a family.

Night and day difference from when I moved to Florida in 2009 vs 2023 as far as costs go. As others have said, the no state income tax is nice but other costs make those savings go away in a hurry.
I'm a teacher so the political theatre has made my job a bigger pain in the neck the last year or so.

Mississippi is the cheapest state to live in.
If cost of living is your primary driver then pretty much take every blue state off the list and then look at red states.... decide which one you like best and move. Even purple states are probably best to avoid... they are basically red states that everyone from blue states have fled to which has made for the color difference.

This will likely be changing rather quickly with all the limitations the state is putting on universities here. It will take a few years, but it doesn't seem like the tracks are pointed in the right direction.

This will likely be changing rather quickly with all the limitations the state is putting on universities here. It will take a few years, but it doesn't seem like the tracks are pointed in the right direction.
I agree with this, but even with that said, I am thoroughly impressed it is actually THAT high.
Some of the metrics include student debt after graduating and 6-year graduation rates, on which UF and all Florida public universities score very high. The average SAT score is 14th per this ranking from 2021, proof that UF has become more selective as the population of the state increases.

BTW, UCF and FSU rank in the 50s based on SAT. And the California schools have 7 in the top 50.

Nationally
2 UCLA
4 University of Virginia
5 University of Florida

In a similar position here in Philadelphia. My wife works for the Temple Health System so they pay 60% of the costs for Temple University. My oldest daughter just finished her sophomore year and in total after tuition reimbursement, scholarships and grants, I pay about $1000 a semester out of pocket.

Simple - cold weather sucks, especially as you get older. Sure, it's not for everyone but being able to get outdoors and golf, swim, play tennis etc. essentially the entire year has a huge appeal to most people.

Simple - cold weather sucks, especially as you get older. Sure, it's not for everyone but being able to get outdoors and golf, swim, play tennis etc. essentially the entire year has a huge appeal to most people.
While cold weather does suck, the humidity across all southern states is something you need a little while to acclimate your body to. New Mexico is nice and affordable and not so much humid like Florida. But...if you must be by water, not for ya.

In a similar position here in Philadelphia. My wife works for the Temple Health System so they pay 60% of the costs for Temple University. My oldest daughter just finished her sophomore year and in total after tuition reimbursement, scholarships and grants, I pay about $1000 a semester out of pocket
In Florida, public university costs are among the lowest in the nation. In addition, there is a generous scholarship program funded by state lottery known as Bright Futures. The main requirements for the 100% tuition scholarship is 3.5 GPA, minimum score of 29 on the ACT or 1330 on the SAT. There is a 75% scholarship with slightly lower requirements.

While cold weather does suck, the humidity across all southern states is something you need a little while to acclimate your body to. New Mexico is nice and affordable and not so much humid like Florida. But...if you must be by water, not for ya.
We're very strongly considering New Mexico in a few years. With the notable exception of Santa Fe, it's pretty affordable. We're not really used to "desert" so everything looks a little hardscrabble compared to the Midwest, but we love the idea of not having a lawn to maintain. And we can still enjoy a modest winter if we pick someplace at elevation, which is a plus for us because we like having all four seasons. It checks a lot of boxes, and it's not attracting a rush of retirees like Arizona or Florida.

The southeast is completely off the table for us because my wife and I both can't stand humidity. We grew up in the Ohio river valley and absolutely will never live anyplace like that ever again if we can avoid it. Our feelings toward humid summers roughly match how normal people feel about lake-effect snow.

Last edited:

The summers are brutal in central Florida. I try to spend as much time on vacation as possible. Now, being on the Atlantic Coast is much cooler with that ocean breeze. Much more tolerable.

The summers are brutal in central Florida. I try to spend as much time on vacation as possible. Now, being on the Atlantic Coast is much cooler with that ocean breeze. Much more tolerable.
Where are you located?

My wife's bank she works for has branches in FL (mostly IL though and a couple in WI) and went down to help with an acquisition. She spent a couple of weeks down in the Miami area in January. She decided that we would not ever move to Florida because of that. I even asked her if they offered a big promotion with a big raise and to go and she was like that raise would have to be ridiculous for me to consider it.

Where are you located?
near Ocala. I spend some time In daytona beach and I have a friend in Merritt Island. Both places feel ten degrees cooler than where I live in the summer

My wife's bank she works for has branches in FL (mostly IL though and a couple in WI) and went down to help with an acquisition. She spent a couple of weeks down in the Miami area in January. She decided that we would not ever move to Florida because of that. I even asked her if they offered a big promotion with a big raise and to go and she was like that raise would have to be ridiculous for me to consider it.
The Miami area and SE Florida is very different from other parts of the state. Many of my family members and coworkers have moved from Miami to get away from the rat race and congestion and high prices, moving to more slow-placed areas like Gainesville and Orange Park (west of Jacksonville) and Tallahassee. People are generally friendlier on the west coast. The burbs of Tampa mentioned upthread seem to be great for families.

The Miami area and SE Florida is very different from other parts of the state. Many of my family members and coworkers have moved from Miami to get away from the rat race and congestion and high prices, moving to more slow-placed areas like Gainesville and Orange Park (west of Jacksonville) and Tallahassee. People are generally friendlier on the west coast. The burbs of Tampa mentioned upthread seem to be great for families.
Sorry.... I forgot to mention why it was a no go place. Humidity/heat.

I think other than that she enjoyed the Miami area. Came back with a love for that cuban expresso drink thing.

I think other than that she enjoyed the Miami area. Came back with a love for that cuban expresso drink thing.
Cuban coffee

Cuban coffee
Yup. She loves that stuff. Not by the bowl though.

Funny little family history fact... my grandfather and Desi were drinking buddies. Apparently Desi was a big time womanizer.

Moved from Michigan to Lakeland FL in 1994, and 5 years ago bought a house just outside Tampa in Brandon. I love it here, but we have no kids. Its hot as balls most of the time and traffic does suck. Other than that, it's pretty great and beats the hell out of living in a cold climate.

The main concert venue/state fairgrounds and Amalie Arena are both less than 20 min away, so tons of great shows year round (also we have a pretty good hockey team), Im 30 min from Raymond James if I wanna go to a Bucs game, tons of great breweries and reataurants, amazing Saltwater fishing, beaches, etc....what's not to love?

With your budget you can get a really nice house in this area. Pool and everything. 😎

Last edited:

Where are you located?
near Ocala. I spend some time In daytona beach and I have a friend in Merritt Island. Both places feel ten degrees cooler than where I live in the summer
Just north of me (deland area...little south) and agree 100% The breeze is crucial.

We're very strongly considering New Mexico in a few years. With the notable exception of Santa Fe, it's pretty affordable. We're not really used to "desert" so everything looks a little hardscrabble compared to the Midwest, but we love the idea of not having a lawn to maintain. And we can still enjoy a modest winter if we pick someplace at elevation, which is a plus for us because we like having all four seasons. It checks a lot of boxes, and it's not attracting a rush of retirees like Arizona or Florida.

The southeast is completely off the table for us because my wife and I both can't stand humidity. We grew up in the Ohio river valley and absolutely will never live anyplace like that ever again if we can avoid it. Our feelings toward humid summers roughly match how normal people feel about lake-effect snow.
I’m staying at an AIrBnb right now in between Taos and Angel Fire and damn if I couldn’t see myself here for a lot bigger part of the year. The weather right now is perfect. 70 during the day 45-50 at night. Similar to Miami, the morning is usually clear and some thundershowers come through in the afternoon. Not sure if that’s normal for this part of the season here but it’s been spectacular.

Taos is a pretty sleepy place this time of year but the mountain air, the crispness, it’s pretty awesome.

I'm surprised I wasn't summoned earlier for this thread

OG from Miami, lived in Tampa/St Pete '92-'00 or as I like to call them the good ole days.
Nice stint in SoCal thru '08 and then back to South Florida where I am now.
Live in the Jupiter/Hobe Sound area, simply beautiful here. Lots of pretty parts of Florida, Central O-Town isn't one of them, stay away from that general area if I had a vote.
Anywhere within a 5 mile bike ride of the water or beaches is where I would aim for. There's no reason to be in Florida if you don't like beaches, boating, outdoor lifestyle, it's an active person's paradise if you ask me. Tennis and Golf in every direction.

BACKSTORY: In 2016, I sold my house and my family (wife and 3 kids) moved in with my MIL for what I thought would be a year before we would buy a house either in New Jersey or the Philly suburbs. About 6 months in my MIL lost her job, had some health issues and could no longer work. So instead of moving, we bought her house, tore it down and rebuilt it from a 2 br, 1ba row, to a 4br, 3ba row home. For the last 18 months, I have been saving up to buy a summer house at the Jersey shore. So my house is new, I have a 7 years left of a 10 year tax abatement, I live in one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city (lots of sports guys lived here Rhys Hoskins, Jason Kelce, Connor Barwin a block down the street from me).

BREAKING NEWS: I have been working from home since COVID started. Our firm allows us to come into the office if we choose. Last week my employer sent an email to a group of us because we haven't been into the office since they went remote. I emailed back asking if remote work would be permanent for our group. Employer replied, at the present, they have no intention of bringing us back to the office, but if I wanted to move to a non-commutable location to touch base with them first (our firm does have others that they have allowed to work remotely from non-commutable locations even before COVID so this isn't unprecedented). My wife is a nurse so she wouldn't have any issue finding new employment if we moved.

MY QUESTION: I'm considering a move to move to Florida. I have one kid who is a sophomore in High School and one who is in 5th grade. So I would like to live in a decent school district. I am also looking to live in a suburban area near a large city (was thinking maybe Tampa area). I just need suggestions of what cities in Florida to look for houses in?
St Pete/Tampa is a fantastic idea

I think you should drive around downtown St Pete, the Pier, all along Central all the way to Treasure Island and south along St Pete Beach and imagine having a lifestyle where all that is at your fingertips. I don't want to weigh in on the schools, I don't have children that age but I did teach for 3 years in Miami and Palm Beach, eye opening I can tell you.

Seminole/Largo, nice sub division or adjacent to St Pete, I like being closer to the beaches. You can always go across the bridges to visit Ybor City or whatever floats your boat in Tampa.
I always like the kicked back feeling of St Pete and the vibe of the folks who fill it up. Downtown has a very diverse population and I'll let you look around and absorb if you visit there. You being from the Northeast, doubt much would make you raise your eyebrows.

Location Location Location, try and get closer to the beach, it's a terrific lifestyle and you can zip to downtown in minutes. I think your kids would enjoy the area, MLB if you like baseball, all the teams come thru town even if you don't like the Rays. Ballpark is AC and chilly, great spot on a hot day. Both the Lightning and Bucs are easy to access even from St Pete, not a far drive if you want sports.

And Disney is still just an hour or two away if you want to enjoy that scene.

I would pay a visit to the Treasure Coast, from Vero Beach South to Stuart has grown leaps and bounds.
You can get to Disney in under 2 hours, you can get to Miami in less than 2 hours on the Brightline, in fact 75-80 minutes WPB to Miami

Still like St Pete/Tampa Bay, can get out of the State of Florida in under 3-4 hours, you can be up in the mountains in a day which is nice.

Takes some getting used to for sure! As for Florida, it's got its own unique charm – sun, sand, and yes, a good dose of humidity. But hey, the beach life can be pretty awesome if you find the right spot!

By the way, if you ever decide on that move and need a hand with the whole relocation process, have you considered checking out Man and Van Enfield? They might just be the ticket to making your move smoother.

Last edited:
BACKSTORY: In 2016, I sold my house and my family (wife and 3 kids) moved in with my MIL for what I thought would be a year before we would buy a house either in New Jersey or the Philly suburbs. About 6 months in my MIL lost her job, had some health issues and could no longer work. So instead of moving, we bought her house, tore it down and rebuilt it from a 2 br, 1ba row, to a 4br, 3ba row home. For the last 18 months, I have been saving up to buy a summer house at the Jersey shore. So my house is new, I have a 7 years left of a 10 year tax abatement, I live in one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city (lots of sports guys lived here Rhys Hoskins, Jason Kelce, Connor Barwin a block down the street from me).

BREAKING NEWS: I have been working from home since COVID started. Our firm allows us to come into the office if we choose. Last week my employer sent an email to a group of us because we haven't been into the office since they went remote. I emailed back asking if remote work would be permanent for our group. Employer replied, at the present, they have no intention of bringing us back to the office, but if I wanted to move to a non-commutable location to touch base with them first (our firm does have others that they have allowed to work remotely from non-commutable locations even before COVID so this isn't unprecedented). My wife is a nurse so she wouldn't have any issue finding new employment if we moved.

MY QUESTION: I'm considering a move to move to Florida. I have one kid who is a sophomore in High School and one who is in 5th grade. So I would like to live in a decent school district. I am also looking to live in a suburban area near a large city (was thinking maybe Tampa area). I just need suggestions of what cities in Florida to look for houses in?

I think you should drive around downtown St Pete, the Pier, all along Central all the way to Treasure Island and south along St Pete Beach and imagine having a lifestyle where all that is at your fingertips. I don't want to weigh in on the schools, I don't have children that age but I did teach for 3 years in Miami and Palm Beach, eye opening I can tell you.

Seminole/Largo, nice sub division or adjacent to St Pete, I like being closer to the beaches. You can always go across the bridges to visit Ybor City or whatever floats your boat in Tampa.
I always like the kicked back feeling of St Pete and the vibe of the folks who fill it up. Downtown has a very diverse population and I'll let you look around and absorb if you visit there. You being from the Northeast, doubt much would make you raise your eyebrows.

Location Location Location, try and get closer to the beach, it's a terrific lifestyle and you can zip to downtown in minutes. I think your kids would enjoy the area, MLB if you like baseball, all the teams come thru town even if you don't like the Rays. Ballpark is AC and chilly, great spot on a hot day. Both the Lightning and Bucs are easy to access even from St Pete, not a far drive if you want sports.

My wife jus took a new job at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia so it doesn't look like I'll be moving until the last kid is in college (6 years). I'm sad.

My wife jus took a new job at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia so it doesn't look like I'll be moving until the last kid is in college (6 years). I'm sad.
username checks out

Users who are viewing this thread