What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Gardening Thread - 2024 Finally time to start seeds indoors in the northeast! (2 Viewers)

For fathers day my wife ordered me a few dwarf citrus trees. Limes, Lemons, and Mandarins.I'm going to grow them in pots since we're renting our house right now, but hopefully can buy sometime next year. Does anyone use those raised gardening beds? I was thinking of getting one so I can grow some tomatoes and herbs, or something? Are they worth it?  :thumbup:
I switched over to mostly grow bags a couple years ago.  I love them.  I can easily move plants around to adjust sunlight, get more space if they grow larger, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Premium-Thichkened-Non-Woven-Aeration/dp/B00VWU30EK/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=garden+bags&qid=1590172893&sr=8-16

Going to harden off my indoor started peppers a few more days.  
Was supposed to be warm but mostly cloudy today so I put my babies in the ground this morning. The sun burned through about noon and has been blazing ever since. 78 degrees at the moment. Trial by fire for them I guess.

I should’ve waited til this evening 😕

Cubanelle, Anaheim, Poblano and Bells

3 each

Was supposed to be warm but mostly cloudy today so I put my babies in the ground this morning. The sun burned through about noon and has been blazing ever since. 78 degrees at the moment. Trial by fire for them I guess.

I should’ve waited til this evening 😕

Cubanelle, Anaheim, Poblano and Bells

3 each
Sometimes it’s hard to wait but as you realized it’s always better to plant in the evening.  
Gives them time to get thru any transplant shock before the suns blasts them. 

oh yea, nice selection of peppers. 👍

My wife and I want to install box planters on our two porches but have run into a problem. We have a wraparound porch in the front and a smaller porch in the back, and both have black metal railings that are much thinner than our old wood railings at our previous house. The railings are only 2 1/2" from front to back, and all of our old planter hardware is much too wide/deep to fit the thin railings. So far what I've seen at Lowes/HD/etc. are also too wide. Does anyone know of box planter brackets/holders we can buy to fit the new railings, but that also aren't $50 a set?

Planted zucchini , baby lettuce greens and Acorn squash from seed. Acorn doing well, lettuce too, zucchini seeds must have been bad, never sprouted. Burpee brand seeds dated for this year, idk what happened

Made a run to greenhouse cpl days ago and bought 2 plants to replace them.

Peppers seem to be doing ok (phew)

Cuke plants are growing nicely. 
Tomato plants don’t seem to be doing anything really. Look healthy, just don’t seem to be getting bigger yet

Miracle Gro’d everything this morning   

What a difference climates make.  My cucumber plants are already dead from the heat, all my peppers and tomatoes are in full production mode, and my corn is tasseled and done. I'm on my 2nd generation of roma tomatoes this calendar year. Cilantro bolts in two weeks and my basil is struggling from the humidity.

If anyone wants serrano's, datil's, green onions, poblano's, jalapeno's, or miracle fruit I can fax you some. Totally overrun.

https://imgur.com/l94DDED

Here’s my little southern California backyard garden. I built the raised planter box a few yrs back. Currently have four tomatoes (1 cherry, 1 beefsteak, 1 heirloom and 1 classic), 4 cukes, 6 lettuce, 3 kohlrabi and 1 jalapeño.  
I like the lizard the best, organic and free range, could be at least 5.99/lb. 

Has anyone tried for artichokes? I am debating trying to get some growing in the corner of the yard, apparently it is a big thistle bush.   

I like the lizard the best, organic and free range, could be at least 5.99/lb. 

Has anyone tried for artichokes? I am debating trying to get some growing in the corner of the yard, apparently it is a big thistle bush.   
I have an artichoke plant that I put in a big pot last year. I only got 3 small artichokes, and 2 of them blossomed before I could pick them. This year I have one artichoke growing (already bigger than anything I got last year, but am going to let it keep going to see how big it will get before flowering so I know when to pick the others that come in. It’s an experiment for sure.

I also have 3 tomato plants (early girl, cherry and heirloom brandywine), one red bell pepper, English cucumber, zucchini, leaf lettuce varieties, kale, 6 strawberry plants, raspberry, blueberry, snap peas, a mini Meyer lemon tree, a Santa Rosa plum tree and a wide variety of herbs.  

so im terrible at growing / keeping plants alive. im a huge thai food fan and cook it pretty often. got tired of buying thai basil so i picked up some of those herb packets you see at the grocery store for $2. prepped them and sat them in water for almost a month - root system is looking legit. i bought some micracle grow vegetable fertiziler stuff and a root promotion powder. will be transferring them from the water treatment into soil for some explosive results. 

the whole draining holes at the bottom of the flower pots, if im going to reuse a cottage cheese container whats the rule on these holes ? do i need a ton of those holes or just a few. i know basil needs moist soil

If anyone wants serrano's, datil's, green onions, poblano's, jalapeno's, or miracle fruit I can fax you some. Totally overrun.
Is this the stuff that makes sour things taste sweet? I've gotten the tablets a few times but never thought about growing it.

https://imgur.com/l94DDED

Here’s my little southern California backyard garden. I built the raised planter box a few yrs back. Currently have four tomatoes (1 cherry, 1 beefsteak, 1 heirloom and 1 classic), 4 cukes, 6 lettuce, 3 kohlrabi and 1 jalapeño.  
That looks great.  I put in a low (12") raised bed a few years back because my soil is mostly clay.  Hauling in good black dirt did wonders.

We just got most of our stuff in this past weekend, as it's been a pretty cold spring here in northern Indiana.  I think we had frost after Mother's Day.  Tomatoes (1 roma, 1 Cherokee Purple), garlic, bell peppers (green & yellow), cucumber, zucchini, Italian parsley and basil - all plants; nothing from seed this year due to the late start.  I also have a couple oregano bushes (perennial).

What a difference climates make.  My cucumber plants are already dead from the heat, all my peppers and tomatoes are in full production mode, and my corn is tasseled and done. I'm on my 2nd generation of roma tomatoes this calendar year. Cilantro bolts in two weeks and my basil is struggling from the humidity.
Same boat in Polk

My corn is also looking pretty sad, and my basil died off. I'm sure volunteers will start sprouting up soon.  I have a super strong roma  that I just started cloning. 

Despite planting them late. My Cukes look pretty good so far. 

In Oklahoma...  

Just picked my first few jalapeno peppers last night.  Also have about a dozen tomatoes on the plants, some as large as plums.  We're going into a heat spell coming up late this week, I may have tomatoes in the next few weeks.  

I generally never have ripe tomatoes before July 1, the first batch always seem to take forever to ripen.  My dad claims it is warm nights that ripen them the fastest.  

heckmanm said:
Is this the stuff that makes sour things taste sweet? I've gotten the tablets a few times but never thought about growing it.
Yep.  I drunk bought a plant a couple years ago and it is starting to produce in quantity. Pretty cool thing.

Big League Chew said:
the whole draining holes at the bottom of the flower pots, if im going to reuse a cottage cheese container whats the rule on these holes ? do i need a ton of those holes or just a few. i know basil needs moist soil
You want enough holes to allow excess water to drain off so your plant isn’t sitting in water.  
You may to plant it in something bigger than a cottage cheese container. Basel  plants get tall and have a pretty big root system.  

In Oklahoma...  

Just picked my first few jalapeno peppers last night.  Also have about a dozen tomatoes on the plants, some as large as plums.  We're going into a heat spell coming up late this week, I may have tomatoes in the next few weeks.  

I generally never have ripe tomatoes before July 1, the first batch always seem to take forever to ripen.  My dad claims it is warm nights that ripen them the fastest.  
My tomatoes always seemingly take forever to ripen as well.  The farmers market will be selling Early Girls about a month before anything I have ripens.  On the plus side, I typically have garden tomatoes well into September.

In Oklahoma...  

They for sure ripen quicker in warm weather.  Mine grow year round but the ones that grow in the winter take forever and in a lot of cases I just bring them inside.

How do you get basil to live? It feels like I have tried planting it 20 different times and it immediately shrivels up outside. Usually buying the pre-potted Trader Joes ones. Currently I have had one inside a few weeks and it seems ok, but ultimately I want to get it growing outside. Even when left in the pot outside they die immediately, and I feel like I have tried all sorts of different water and sun levels. I feel like my fruit trees are ultra prolific and will produce endless amounts of fruit with no maintenance, while any small vegetable is somewhat disappointing. I have had asparagus for 5 years that barely get stalks above 2mm wide. 

How do you get basil to live? It feels like I have tried planting it 20 different times and it immediately shrivels up outside. Usually buying the pre-potted Trader Joes ones. Currently I have had one inside a few weeks and it seems ok, but ultimately I want to get it growing outside. Even when left in the pot outside they die immediately, and I feel like I have tried all sorts of different water and sun levels. I feel like my fruit trees are ultra prolific and will produce endless amounts of fruit with no maintenance, while any small vegetable is somewhat disappointing. I have had asparagus for 5 years that barely get stalks above 2mm wide. 
I've found basil likes a lot of water, but I've also found it to be forgiving.  I've come back from weekend trips to find mine shriveled, and a healthy watering brings it right back to life.

Basil is weird. It either thrives or it doesn't. I've had various basil plants in the same garden position over the last few years and sometimes they go nuts and develop into almost perennial bushes and other times they wither and give up the ghost in the first two weeks.

Some people do "container" gardens.  You can put your tomato plants in pots and move them around to get sun.  Only bad part of this (besides always moving them) is they dry out fast so need to water often
I have a couple tomato plants in pots (as well as jalapeno and squash) and they do seem to dry out quickly. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how much to water them. Sometimes it seems like too much, and others not enough. Any tips?

I have a couple tomato plants in pots (as well as jalapeno and squash) and they do seem to dry out quickly. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how much to water them. Sometimes it seems like too much, and others not enough. Any tips?
I use the cloth bags with moisture control soil.  I water with a high flow drip system every morning.

Could try to keep track of full sunny days (need more water) than cloudy days.  Also do you have any mulch around the plant?  This can help prevent drying out (but is harder to tell when needs water)

Could try to keep track of full sunny days (need more water) than cloudy days.  Also do you have any mulch around the plant?  This can help prevent drying out (but is harder to tell when needs water)
Not much mulch - just dirt in pots. They are thriving, but I just feel like I'm messing up the watering.

I'm in Phoenix and it's 108 degrees here, so things do dry out quickly...

Not much mulch - just dirt in pots. They are thriving, but I just feel like I'm messing up the watering.

I'm in Phoenix and it's 108 degrees here, so things do dry out quickly...
I live in a very hot and dry climate in the southwestern too.  Watering was the hardest part to learn about gardening for me (still don’t feel like I‘ve gotten it 100% down).  Trial and error is the best advice I can give you (and that took me a few seasons of success and failure). You have to be able to learn to read how the plant is reacting.  Yellowing generally means overwatering, that took me a while To learn as living where I live I thought that meant they drying out so I watered more, bad move.  I also like consistency and a schedule so I tried to do something like watering every day, or every other day, or mon weds fri, etc etc.  Fail again. Doing that didn’t adjust to the changing weather.  So, long story even longer, as you are starting out just pay attention to how the plants are reacting and experiment with adjustments.  Over time, and failed seasons, you’ll learn. Stick with it though, it’s well worth it.  I’m not sure there’s a better food then fresh garden tomatoes. 

kutta said:
I'm pretty much a gardening rookie - what is "moisture control soil?"
It's a type of soil that holds more water It will be printed on the bag.

Do not use it if you go with the container option.

Last edited by a moderator:
dkp993 said:
I live in a very hot and dry climate in the southwestern too.  Watering was the hardest part to learn about gardening for me (still don’t feel like I‘ve gotten it 100% down).  Trial and error is the best advice I can give you (and that took me a few seasons of success and failure). You have to be able to learn to read how the plant is reacting.  Yellowing generally means overwatering, that took me a while To learn as living where I live I thought that meant they drying out so I watered more, bad move.  I also like consistency and a schedule so I tried to do something like watering every day, or every other day, or mon weds fri, etc etc.  Fail again. Doing that didn’t adjust to the changing weather.  So, long story even longer, as you are starting out just pay attention to how the plants are reacting and experiment with adjustments.  Over time, and failed seasons, you’ll learn. Stick with it though, it’s well worth it.  I’m not sure there’s a better food then fresh garden tomatoes. 
I did see some yellowing so I backed off. Now I'm seeing super green and strong looking leaves, but turning upward. Online it says that could be over or under watering. So, what the hell?

They are coming along well though.

What are you guys using for pollinator friendly pest killers for vegetables? Noticed some damage to my tomato leaves. Looked all over it(and under leaves) couldn't find the particular pest.

Texas if region matters as far as heat and effectiveness.

First tie growing these guys and everything is starting to fruit...

Started this years harvest today!

Cut two big bowls of baby greens for salads with our pasta tonight 

Unreal how flavorful compared to greens from the grocery store. And tender. Crazy good
So cool. Congrats.   I’ve been eating salad with my garden lettuce for a couple weeks now.  I can never get over how much better it is.  
My tomatoes are full of fruit, now they just need to ripen.  Can. Not. Wait.  

What are you guys using for pollinator friendly pest killers for vegetables? Noticed some damage to my tomato leaves. Looked all over it(and under leaves) couldn't find the particular pest.

If you see black poop droplets on the leaves it’s very likely horn worms, they are super super hard to spot as they are small to start with and exactly the color of the leaves. But they do grow pretty big pretty fast and they can absolutely devastate your tomato plants.

We haven't gotten around to planting anything yet.  Some stuff I didn't expect to come back has, like a lot of tomato plants. We had a pretty mild winter in southern Ohio.

Someone mentioned self-watering containers.  My wife asked for one of these for Mother's Day after hearing about them from one of her co-workers.  I bought it for her.  I was admittedly skeptical, but this thing is growing lettuce, spinach, and herbs like crazy.  We got a base thing for it so it's easy to rotate, but it's basically set it and forget it.  The base holds about 10 gallons of water, so we just keep that filled up along with powdered fertilizer.  We've already harvested a ton of leafy greens.

Edited to add - The Amazon reviews for this are only so-so, but we've had good luck with ours.  Just wanted to mention that...

https://imgur.com/d7VpV6E

We haven't gotten around to planting anything yet.  Some stuff I didn't expect to come back has, like a lot of tomato plants. We had a pretty mild winter in southern Ohio.
I have one really nice looking volunteer tomato plant that escaped weeding and the rabbits.  Just put a cage on it yesterday, but have no idea what kind it is.  Kind of fun I guess.  :)  

If it’s not the big nasty hook worm you can try horticultural oil 

Tomatoes, peppers, basil, cukes, zucchini and oregano all rocking. 

Something has been eating the parsley right at ground level every time it tries to come back (thus disproving a joke from my junior high days).  Nothing else getting touched. :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread