What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Gardening Thread - 2024 Finally time to start seeds indoors in the northeast! (3 Viewers)

Something has been eating the parsley right at ground level every time it tries to come back (thus disproving a joke from my junior high days).  Nothing else getting touched. :hot:
That sounds like a rabbit to me. 

A cool thing about planting parsley and dill is the swallowtail butterflies love to lay their eggs on them.   If you see a ton of little black worms munching away, leave them be.  They will soon get big and will turn Black and green.  They will chow all the leaves  but the plants will bounce back. 
I always plant extra just to support the butterflies and it’s cool to watch them grow. 

Something has been eating the parsley right at ground level every time it tries to come back (thus disproving a joke from my junior high days).  Nothing else getting touched.
I’m having that same issue with my kohlrabi. I think it’s aphids.  

I’m having that same issue with my kohlrabi. I think it’s aphids.  
I had plants 6" tall.  I don't think it's aphids here, unless I'm misunderstanding what they are/do.  Somethings nipping them off clean and not leaving a trace.  I suspect a larger critter.  But we have a 6' privacy fence so it isn't deer. Maybe rabbits I guess, although we have dachshunds patrolling the yard most of the time, so they tend to stay in the front yard where the dogs don't go.

I've got a question:

There's some Dill in my garden that is turning yellow and I"m not sure why.  I did a google and there were several different explanations.  Too much water,  too much fertilizer,  not enough fertilizer, not enough sun etc..

TIA

Went to my local nursery and they said it's either too much or too little water.  Weird because the Dill is the only herb that is turning yellow.

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Harvested 5 tomatoes today after picking my first one early this week. Also got my first cucumber. Already picked 6 or so peppers as well. 

I am picking a bit early, we have a rabbit that I don't trust. I mainly see him eating grass, but there was a small bite in my first tomato.  :hot:

First two tomatoes today. Herbs going crazy. Cukes are close. Pepper plants are growing nicely but don't seem to be blooming. Usually get a few japs or anneheims first thing.  

Herbs are going crazy. I am making little ice cubes with olive oil and basil, rosemary, dill, thyme, etc. Nice to add to dishes in the fall/winter.  

Horseradish and Rhubarb going crazy.  

Went a little crazy on the planting so planning on doing quite a bit of canning this summer. Pickles, salsa, tomato sauce etc. 

First legit BLT of the year this evening. 

Green beans doing incredible, harvested two batches, about 50ish beans each.

Three cuc’s so far, plants doing good but early in season still

Squash doing ok, would like a little stronger, not producing yet

Pepper and eggplants have been the disappointments so far, think too much water.

Gardening rocks

First two tomatoes today. Herbs going crazy. Cukes are close. Pepper plants are growing nicely but don't seem to be blooming. Usually get a few japs or anneheims first thing.  

Herbs are going crazy. I am making little ice cubes with olive oil and basil, rosemary, dill, thyme, etc. Nice to add to dishes in the fall/winter.  

Horseradish and Rhubarb going crazy.  

Went a little crazy on the planting so planning on doing quite a bit of canning this summer. Pickles, salsa, tomato sauce etc. 

First legit BLT of the year this evening. 
If I could only have one sandwich for the rest of my life , BLT might be it 

:drool:

Have picked about 20 or so cherry tomatoes, 5/6 jalapeños and 3 cukes.  My lettuce is done as it’s shooting but we’ve had countless salads with it so far so that was a win.  My first heirloom tomatoes developed blossom end rot which sucked as they were close, threw down some more calcium rich fertilizer and that’s seemed to help so far. It’s gotten really hot here in the past week so I’m worried about my cukes, they seems to have stalled out after those first few.  

Picked my first cuke today
Cukes not easy.  I find the leaves are temperamental, more vulnerable to mold/fungus/parasite and sometimes the fruit itself is less than ideal (not green).  I’ve got some going and so far pretty good this year.

First year with green beans and man the output so far is tremendous.  I planted 60 plants and so far harvested about 500 beans.  Have no idea how long the harvest continues for.

Cukes not easy.  I find the leaves are temperamental, more vulnerable to mold/fungus/parasite and sometimes the fruit itself is less than ideal (not green).  I’ve got some going and so far pretty good this year.

First year with green beans and man the output so far is tremendous.  I planted 60 plants and so far harvested about 500 beans.  Have no idea how long the harvest continues for.
Did you really count the pods???

Not sure what region you're in, but they'd go through the summer here in the mid-Atlantic. Once they start slowing down, pull the entire plant and strip it of all the beans.

Picked about 5 cucumbers so far. Planted burpless for the first time this year. “Tasty Green”. Delicious 

The last few yrs my cukes have been great then just completely died suddenly. From what I’ve read it was bug related. Some kind of disease transmitted by bugs verified by a thick ooze in the stem when you break it open 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hopefully that doesn’t happen this yr. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for bugs daily, so far so good

Everything else is coming along. 

My peppers I started inside wanted to grow out but not up. I’ve been pinching blossoms and tiny peppers for a few weeks, seems to be helping on some but not all

Picked about 5 cucumbers so far. Planted burpless for the first time this year. “Tasty Green”. Delicious 

The last few yrs my cukes have been great then just completely died suddenly. From what I’ve read it was bug related. Some kind of disease transmitted by bugs verified by a thick ooze in the stem when you break it open 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hopefully that doesn’t happen this yr. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for bugs daily, so far so good

Everything else is coming along. 

My peppers I started inside wanted to grow out but not up. I’ve been pinching blossoms and tiny peppers for a few weeks, seems to be helping on some but not all
That’s great info on the cukes.  Honestly it’s been the hardest veggie to grow for me these past few years.  I can get healthy looking plants and a few 2-4 cucumbers but they always seem to stall out.  Still look healthy and will flower, just not produce.  It’s super frustrating as it’s my wife’s favorite and where she’s from in Minnesota they grow easy and bountiful.  

Deer went thru and decimated my garden last night 😡

Tomatoes, peppers and sunflowers tool the brunt of the abuse.  The tomatoes should bounce back but the peppers have no more leaves. 😡😡

We planted "bush" cucumber this year and either it was mis-labeled or that word is just BS.  It's spreading sideways and has already smothered a row of bell pepper plants :hot: :

So, I am ready doing the trash that is our front and back yards after moving in last Christmas. We are putting in a sprinkler system that never existed previously and some drips to feed off on many of the plants. Any suggestions on flowers, plants, shrubs, or trees that deer won't treat as their salad bar?

Tomatoes, peppers and sunflowers tool the brunt of the abuse.  The tomatoes should bounce back but the peppers have no more leaves. 😡😡
Use mothballs. Deer do not like the smell. Got this advice from a landscaper about 7-8 weeks ago and so far it's worked like a charm. First thing I've found that's worked, as a matter of fact. And I live in an agricultural zone that has a huge deer population. Packs of them.

You don't want to throw them on the ground as I imagine whatever is in a mothball isn't something you want to be leaching into your soil. Instead, I jerry rigged some holders using cut up water bottles and strong wire. Just something that will keep the balls from getting wet, keep them in place, and will let their aroma out. I even spray painted my holders with camo paint so that they mix in with our garden and lawn.

Sorry about your garden. 

Use mothballs. Deer do not like the smell. Got this advice from a landscaper about 7-8 weeks ago and so far it's worked like a charm. First thing I've found that's worked, as a matter of fact. And I live in an agricultural zone that has a huge deer population. Packs of them.

You don't want to throw them on the ground as I imagine whatever is in a mothball isn't something you want to be leaching into your soil. Instead, I jerry rigged some holders using cut up water bottles and strong wire. Just something that will keep the balls from getting wet, keep them in place, and will let their aroma out. I even spray painted my holders with camo paint so that they mix in with our garden and lawn.

Sorry about your garden. 
Predator urine also works really well and no concerns about leaching.  In the old days, acquiring it was a bit of a challenge but these days it's widely available.  Even on Amazon.

Predator urine also works really well and no concerns about leaching.  In the old days, acquiring it was a bit of a challenge but these days it's widely available.  Even on Amazon.
The problem with this method is you have to keep reapplying, no? Esp. after heavy rains? I put out these watertight mothball holders more than seven weeks ago and haven't done anything with them since and have had great luck.

Ugh.  Sorry.  

When we moved into our house, we had a ton of deer in the neighborhood.  They'd walk along on the other side of our fence (only 4' high, so not in their way) just about every day and come in our yard at night when our dog wasn't a threat to them, so I built a decent fenced-in garden.  In the last few years, the spot I put the garden has gotten overly shaded and the township has done a lot of deer control, so we rarely see them now.  I decided to take down the garden fence and just build some boxes closer to the house where there's lots of sun.  Didn't think I had to do anything about deer, but just today found half of my tomato plants have damage - not as bad as yours sounds (they left my few peppers alone), but I'm sure they'll be back.  Crap.

Of course, my dog dying a six weeks or so ago probably has something to do with it, too.  It's amazing how many chipmunks, squirrels, and other things are in my yard these days.  She wouldn't put up with that nonsense. 

Deer are mean. They always seem to wait until things are close to producing and you think they're not going to be a problem and then... wham.

Just a thought.  When you post, maybe just a quick update of a) where you live and b) when you put your plants in the ground.

I'm in CT, I traditionally plant on Memorial Day weekend due to late frost fears (we had snow on May 9th this year).  It'd give some of us an idea of where you/we are in growth and harvest.

I planted about 25 tomato plants, 1/2 dozen pepper plants and a few herbs around mid-May in the northeast. I also ended up with more than a half dozen tomatillo plants that are going gangbusters. I will post photos at some point. Also battled some bird (crow maybe) to get sunflowers growing. Lemon cucumbers and a zucchini plant round out the garden.

Noticed a squirrel near my garden last night.  I think it has bad intentions.  It has been hot and dry for a while so I'm sure a juicy tomato looks pretty good right now.  I've never had a problem with squirrels in the garden before, but my nephew is constantly fighting them.  Unfortunately, I no longer have a furry death machine patrolling the garden.

Noticed a squirrel near my garden last night.  I think it has bad intentions.  It has been hot and dry for a while so I'm sure a juicy tomato looks pretty good right now.  I've never had a problem with squirrels in the garden before, but my nephew is constantly fighting them.  Unfortunately, I no longer have a furry death machine patrolling the garden.
Yup, it has bad intentions.  We had a decent drought a few years ago, and I had tomatoes disappear just as they ripened (despite the fence).  It was a mystery until one day I found a half-eaten tomato on top of a fence post, and the next day saw one of those little thieves running across the yard with a big ol' tomato in its mouth.

Oklahoma, planted my garden April 1.

I planted less tomato plants this year because I usually take quite a few to the office when I get overrun and our office is shut down for the foreseeable future.  Well my 3 tomato plants and 1 grape tomato plant are overrunning me.  I picked 16 tomatoes on Friday and another 12 yesterday, I don't even try to count the grape ones but I'd guess I have close to 100 in my house right now.  I took some tomatoes to family over the weekend, but I think I may set some out front of my house for neighbors to take.  Never had such a good crop.  

My cucumber is not doing as well, not sure what the deal is but I've only harvested two.  My peppers are doing fine, but producing normal amounts.  Could actually use more jalapenos.

I noticed a few ants and other signs of insect pests this weekend, so soaked the plants in Neem Oil spray and put out more diatomaceous earth yesterday.  We had a big storm friday night so I think most of my prior treatments had just washed away.  

Had a bunch of tomato plants that grew back from last year, but root structure very short.  A couple even had budding fruit on them.  I dug them all up, and replanted them about 2/3 deep, just like you would if you bought a potted tomato plant.  

Maybe it's the excessive heat but I think this may have killed them.  They look horrible today.  Oh well, it was a free try.

Had a bunch of tomato plants that grew back from last year, but root structure very short.  A couple even had budding fruit on them.  I dug them all up, and replanted them about 2/3 deep, just like you would if you bought a potted tomato plant.  

Maybe it's the excessive heat but I think this may have killed them.  They look horrible today.  Oh well, it was a free try.
They might bounce back. I just put a cage around my volunteers where they stood. Looks kind of funny not being in a nice row.  They are 1/4 the size of the newly planted tomatoes, but should produce some fruit later.

I've got 6th generation volunteers growing right now. They're Romas so they typically produce a bunch of fruit and then get leggy and die but I'm not complaining for plants I originally grew from seed 3 or 4 years ago. The freezer is full of salsa and marinara thanks to them.

Well my 3 tomato plants and 1 grape tomato plant are overrunning me.
Love my grape tomato plants.  I have 2 and won't be able to give away the fruit fast enough to keep up.  Only a couple ripe ones so far. (Nebraska) but the plants are about 4.5' x 4' and still growing. 

Not sure when the last time was we saw even a 1/4" of rain. Have to water heavy every other day at a minimum.

(Northern Indiana)

Up to about half a dozen cukes picked, along with oregano and basil.  Some green tomatoes on the plants, and starting to see zucchini developing.  Nothing ready to pick yet, although it's been like 18 hours since I checked the zucchini so they might be as big as my f###ing leg by now.

So I've been getting into Japanese maples. I had no idea there were so many varieties. I have five planted in my yard (Bloodgoods and an Emperor and one of a type unknown). Also have a Ryusen in a planter that we brought over from our old house. Beautiful plant but not sure what to do with it.

I am having a Twombly's Red Sentinel delivered today. Can't wait!

And I found a volunteer in my yard in a weird spot. Not sure what it is, but probably a Bloodgood or Emperor. 

Going to buy a Crimson Queen this week I hope. They have good ones at HD.

Anyone into Japanese maples?

Users who are viewing this thread