What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 (1 Viewer)

Meh.  He lived in a 'if you aren't cheating you aren't trying' era of biking.   No different than some of them recently putting motors inside the gear mechanisms.  Bonds and McGuire and others in baseball same thing.  Golfers used beta blockers for years.  75% of the NBA is high the entire season.

My opinion is it's up to the sports governing bodies to stop it before it happens to protect the field and the sport.  Or at least do something as soon as they know about it.  Otherwise, everyone is forced to cheat to keep up.

He's an interesting story.  Not likable in any way.  But the story is good.
Agree above, it’s just the way he handled himself through it all. Straight up ruined people. Stop at Nothing was incredibly eye opening. 

Meh.  He lived in a 'if you aren't cheating you aren't trying' era of biking.   No different than some of them recently putting motors inside the gear mechanisms.  Bonds and McGuire and others in baseball same thing.  Golfers used beta blockers for years.  75% of the NBA is high the entire season.

My opinion is it's up to the sports governing bodies to stop it before it happens to protect the field and the sport.  Or at least do something as soon as they know about it.  Otherwise, everyone is forced to cheat to keep up.

He's an interesting story.  Not likable in any way.  But the story is good.
This motorized doping thing isn't exactly going to be the next EPO.  I haven't actually seen someone get busted on the UCI circuit with it, but I don't follow this as closely as I used to.

Top 10 with a bullet for biggest piece of garbage in the history of sports. Not just a cheater, but someone who actively tried to ruin other peoples lives.

Top 10 with a bullet for biggest piece of garbage in the history of sports. Not just a cheater, but someone who actively tried to ruin other peoples lives.
He had a huge legion of fans (including here) that when presented with the evidence that he was nearly certainly cheating would lose their minds in defense of the guy.

I mean in the middle of his tour run, a guy with 1 ball had exogeneous testosterone levels at the max level allowed minus about a tenth of a %.

Keep in mind ultimately Landis got popped for this (over limit) when he ####ed up his dosing one day and tried to dilute it down during the ride when it was obvious he was going to control.  

But yeah, his one ball was THAT powerful.  

Watch the doc.  The teams that got in EPO early absolutely dominated.  In that era you absolutely had to dope to be competitive.
It's true. Same for other sports in that time period too like baseball, although steroids not EPO. You still need the underlying skill and athletic ability, but this type of gear provides a level-up that humans just can't achieve naturally. 

He had a huge legion of fans (including here) that when presented with the evidence that he was nearly certainly cheating would lose their minds in defense of the guy.

I mean in the middle of his tour run, a guy with 1 ball had exogeneous testosterone levels at the max level allowed minus about a tenth of a %.

Keep in mind ultimately Landis got popped for this (over limit) when he ####ed up his dosing one day and tried to dilute it down during the ride when it was obvious he was going to control.  

But yeah, his one ball was THAT powerful.  
Floyd's ride was one of the greatest ever for me. Do not care that he took some T.

1.  Lemond/Fignon

2.  Floyd's breakaway

3. Lance "the look"

i've been a tdf junkie since the early 80's.  my dad was a big cyclist and fan and lived in the bay area.  my dad was in races with lemond (my 10-14 year old self, had no idea who he was.  lemond, not my dad).  my dad would do criteriums for fun.  the dudes at the front, all looked like young hippies with HUGE quads.  they were SOOOO much faster than the true amateurs, like my dad.

the sanctimonious approach of americans, in regards to doping, just isn't really part of the european mindset.  the winner of the first 2 tdfs,  was disqualified for cheating, after he won the 2nd one.  it's rampant in the sport.  always has been, probably always will be.  sticky bottles, drafting behind cars, motor bikes, etc. a pill here, a cortisone cream there, complete blood transfusion over  there :lmao:   

i f'ing loved lance as a cyclist.  what he did was unreal.  everyone was doping.  he was supernatural.  throw in the cancer and it's practically unbelievable.

i ran next to lance, as he went up the col de tourmalet.  we camped at the base for 3 days.  just an unbelievable trip.  so much fun.

if i had to guess, i'd say the big time doping started with indurain.  team skye is doping.  not a doubt in my mind.  the cheats are almost always ahead of the testers.

lance is a giant POS, for what he did to people, trying to maintain the lie.  i think he knows that.  doesn't change anything, or lessen what he did.  but he's pretty forthcoming these days.

and i want some epo.   :pickle:  

If the discussion is limited to the TDF, the only thing worth talking about is who comes in second.
It would have been interesting to see him do everything.  Doped to the gills. 

I think it was probably a business decision to only do the tdf. And a smart one. And maybe, he realized, all drugs, all the time, might not end up well.  A la pantani. 

It would have been interesting to see him do everything.  Doped to the gills. 

I think it was probably a business decision to only do the tdf. And a smart one. And maybe, he realized, all drugs, all the time, might not end up well.  A la pantani. 
I would say Armstrong probably isn't even in the conversation for greatest ever, since he never had the desire to race in the other majors. I'm really not sure how he would have done.  His entire team was built around the TDF only, his training/doping schedule was all built around that one race.

I would say Armstrong probably isn't even in the conversation for greatest ever, since he never had the desire to race in the other majors. I'm really not sure how he would have done.  His entire team was built around the TDF only, his training/doping schedule was all built around that one race.
we agree about his prep for the tdf.  my comment was, it would have been interesting to see him do the other races, similarly doped.  

i do think he was one of the greatest ever, however.   :shrug:  and i get it, he didn't do other races.

And really for North Americans, Armstrong made cycling all about the TDF. I wonder how many NA sports fans even know about the Grand Tour events in Spain or Italy. I wonder if Lance had chosen to focus on one of the other Grand Tour races if it would be more well known than the TDF is in NA today?

For me, my cycling knowledge comes from the movie Breaking Away (which idolizes the Italian riders), a little bit from Greg Lemond and the explosion of media coverage that arrived with Lance Armstrong.

This reminds me.  I've been watching the "greatest TDF stages ever" on NBCSN and had no idea, until they brought the stage on, that Tyler Farrar is the last US rider to win so much as a stage.  9 freakin' dry years for US riders.   (Big Farrar fan here, so not a knock on him).

Bring back Lance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread