What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Beatles Songbook — There’s not a better one, is there? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I love lots of different bands more than the Beatles. But I’m watching this movie “Yesterday” (great flick BTW) and every time it’s on I’m reminded how incredibly strong their songwriting was. So many bands and musicians out there I love, but I can’t come up with anyone even close.  
Ammiright?  Anything I’m missing here?

TIA  

I love lots of different bands more than the Beatles. But I’m watching this movie “Yesterday” (great flick BTW) and every time it’s on I’m reminded how incredibly strong their songwriting was. So many bands and musicians out there I love, but I can’t come up with anyone even close.  

TIA  
The movie does such as excellent job of placing songs in the right context.  The simple beauty of Yesterday; the early rockers as played in the studio; In My Life; Back in the U.S.S.R.; Long and Winding Road; Eleanor Rigby bouncing in and out of the story; the wailing version of Help!; the concert montage; the joy of Ob-la-di Ob-la-da to end it.  Their messing around with Hey Jude was frustrating, but he expressed our frustration ...and the real version kept us glued to our theater seats at the end (we had a small crowd, so it didn't turn in to a sing-along, unfortunately).

Agree, and the thing that always amazes me about it is how quickly they put out such a huge volume of great material.  These days I'm lucky if my favorite bands put out a new album once every three years or so.  The Beatles basically put out, what, 13 albums in 7 years or something?  150+ songs in that span, most of which are all-time bangers?  It's mind-boggling. 

Agree, and the thing that always amazes me about it is how quickly they put out such a huge volume of great material.  These days I'm lucky if my favorite bands put out a new album once every three years or so.  The Beatles basically put out, what, 13 albums in 7 years or something?  150+ songs in that span, most of which are all-time bangers?  It's mind-boggling. 
Holy crap. I just looked this up.  Never had any idea it was that fast. I just assumed all those albums were years apart. That’s nuts. 

Holy crap. I just looked this up.  Never had any idea it was that fast. I just assumed all those albums were years apart. That’s nuts. 
I might be misremembering but I think the longest gap between releases was about a year, and that was when they recorded the white album, a double album. :lmao:   Just imagine, every six months or so, you're getting Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Abbey Road, etc.  I literally can't wrap my head around it. 

Pretty amazing that they stopped touring in 1966. If you wanted to see them live, it was a short window to do so. My parents were lucky enough to see them live in ‘65.

The Beatles are #1, yes. I’d think folks could make decent arguments for Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, the Stones, maybe even along the lines of Prince, Michael Jackson or Madonna. None match the sheer quality of the Beatles, though. And certainly not U are you kidding me 2.

The very term songbook suggests music that at once has great lyrics, that is well known and popular, and great music that could be played on a guitar or piano. In terms of modern pop or rock music there is no one besides the Beatles. Maybe (maybe) Dylan (not much fun lyrics) or Bowie (definitely adaptable but you kind of half to), and more likely Elton John or Billy Joel. A single song like American Pie could also be in a compilation. But even with Dylan, Bowie, John, Joel, it just takes 3-4 songs before the listener would get sort of lost I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIA  
Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd
Much as I love them, they have a fair amount of inconsistent material in the earlier pre-Dark Side days. When they're on, they're on, but when they're not...

They're not everyone's cup of tea, but I think Simon & Garfunkel should be in the conversation when you're talking about songbook collections as we are discussing here.

Much as I love them, they have a fair amount of inconsistent material in the earlier pre-Dark Side days. When they're on, they're on, but when they're not...

They're not everyone's cup of tea, but I think Simon & Garfunkel should be in the conversation when you're talking about songbook collections as we are discussing here.
I don't know, I think that is an issue even with the Beatles, they definitely have some stinkers as well.

Perhaps, but the Beatles very early albums aren’t exactly models of consistency either. Help! was when their albums started to get mostly good, and then of course we later got the god tier albums like Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road. 

I don't know, I think that is an issue even with the Beatles, they definitely have some stinkers as well.
Fair point - every artist has their stinkers, but I think the lows of the Beatles are still solid. I don't think you'll find another artist with that kind of consistency

Hard to beat it. Maybe Bob Dylan? He seems the most coverable songwriter. When I taught "The History Rock", that was the semester 1 final exam: 5 paragraph essay on who had a bigger influence on rock music, The Beatles or Bob Dylan and why. 

When I taught "The History Rock", that was the semester 1 final exam: 5 paragraph essay on who had a bigger influence on rock music, The Beatles or Bob Dylan and why. 
College courses are so much cooler these days - that should be a required course for any major at any university. 

Future Otis Threads?

”Beer is good and there’s a lot of good beers out there, right?”

”I like sex.  Anyone else?”
You sure those analogies work?  In this case Otis is talking about a line of beers from a specific brewer.  :oldunsure:  

Hard to beat it. Maybe Bob Dylan? He seems the most coverable songwriter. When I taught "The History Rock", that was the semester 1 final exam: 5 paragraph essay on who had a bigger influence on rock music, The Beatles or Bob Dylan and why. 
The big difference there though is the Beatles songs are all great when you listen to their originals. Many of Dylan’s well written songs aren’t as listenable until you hear covers. 

TIA  
Side note, I was suprised at how enjoyable the movie was.  Also always liked the movie "Across the Universe" as well.

But to your point, the sheer mass of well known songs is amazing.  Even some of those named above are not really close.

There isn't. I'm not even a beatles fanboy. Never owned one of their albums but you can't deny their catalog.

And yea...sex and beer are also pretty good

The big difference there though is the Beatles songs are all great when you listen to their originals. Many of Dylan’s well written songs aren’t as listenable until you hear covers. 
Matter of opinion but I agree subjectively they Dylan did not out together songs anywhere near as polished as what The Beatles did.

Got it - my son's university has a similar course. Should a be HS graduation requirement then.
That is pretty cool. It was an elective obviously for high school. Fun class that I got to do briefly when the band teacher's plate was temporarily full. I had to redesign the class because he was a great band leader and teacher of music, not so good in other regards. He personally redacted the text books to remove every mention of sex or drugs and the class was just basically a giant memorization of who sang what songs. I totally rebuilt the class from the ground up and gave it all to him when he taking the class back over. As people do, he just went back to his old system. 

That is pretty cool. It was an elective obviously for high school. Fun class that I got to do briefly when the band teacher's plate was temporarily full. I had to redesign the class because he was a great band leader and teacher of music, not so good in other regards. He personally redacted the text books to remove every mention of sex or drugs and the class was just basically a giant memorization of who sang what songs. I totally rebuilt the class from the ground up and gave it all to him when he taking the class back over. As people do, he just went back to his old system. 
Talk about a labor of love :thumbup:

You basically have to get outside their top-150 to find "stinkers".  It's ridiculous the number of quality songs they put out.
When I was a kid I was learning to play piano, and I had a book of sheet music called "The Beatles Best".  It had well over 100 songs in it, I remember thinking it really funny at the time that their list of "best" songs was longer than many bands' entire catalogs.  

When I was a kid I was learning to play piano, and I had a book of sheet music called "The Beatles Best".  It had well over 100 songs in it, I remember thinking it really funny at the time that their list of "best" songs was longer than many bands' entire catalogs.  
I have a handful or two of bands with just as much great music as the Beatles when looking at total minutes, largely because so many of their songs were so short, but to write that many songs with such great hooks in almost all of them is unheard of. 

I have a handful or two of bands with just as much great music as the Beatles when looking at total minutes, largely because so many of their songs were so short, but to write that many songs with such great hooks in almost all of them is unheard of. 
That's a really interesting point that I've never heard anyone make before.  Not sure I completely agree with the premise but it's a unique point (for me at least) and something worth considering.

As an aside, I think their brevity is one of the things that makes them so popular.  There's not many long songs that have a lot of popularity - people lose their attention - I know I do.  They make fantastic songs - while getting in and out quickly.

TIA  
I had the exact same reaction in the theater and I don't consider myself even close to a fan. 

That's a really interesting point that I've never heard anyone make before.  Not sure I completely agree with the premise but it's a unique point (for me at least) and something worth considering.

As an aside, I think their brevity is one of the things that makes them so popular.  There's not many long songs that have a lot of popularity - people lose their attention - I know I do.  They make fantastic songs - while getting in and out quickly.
I am a huge fan of longer songs, many of which are in the prog rock genre, but I love a great short song as well.  I can bounce from The Beatles to Stevie Wonder to Pink Floyd to Prince to Judas Priest, and not bat an eyelash.  I always say, good music is good music, and it comes in a lot of shapes and sizes.

Back to the Beatles and the short songs, to make the Pink Floyd comparison, I would consider Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V) one of the greatest songs ever, and it clocks in at right around 13 1/2 minutes.  In that same time span, I can listen to 5-6 great Beatles songs that have more hooks in them than the average fisherman can count.  Which is a better 13 1/2 minutes? All depends.  If I am in the mood for catchy hooks and great pop sensibilities, I turn on the Beatles.  If I am in the mood for a slow epic burn, I turn on Shine On You Crazy Diamond.  It's all good.  Just a different kind of good. :cool:

Overlooked in this is that Otis said "Yesterday" was a great movie.

It was one of the cheesiest movies I've ever seen.  And I'm right behind Krista in my love for the Beatles.

I wonder what other movies are 'great" by Otis standards.

Getzlaf15 said:
Overlooked in this is that Otis said "Yesterday" was a great movie.

It was one of the cheesiest movies I've ever seen.  And I'm right behind Krista in my love for the Beatles.

I wonder what other movies are 'great" by Otis standards.
I didn’t mean GREAT in terms of one or the all time greats. just a pretty great and solid enjoyable movie. I thought it was well written and acted and the music is fantastic. 

Rolling Stones would be Howe. 
Rolling Stones are Lemieux. Howe is the Kinks. A Kinks hat trick includes a bout of brotherly fisticuffs. The Who is "Rocket" Richard. Way too ahead of their time when they started to even comprehend what that looks like today.  

Sidney Crosby is "some overrated modern band that whines a lot." Modest Mouse. 

Rolling Stones are Lemieux. Howe is the Kinks. A Kinks hat trick includes a bout of brotherly fisticuffs. The Who is "Rocket" Richard. Way too ahead of their time when they started to even comprehend what that looks like today.  

I like some Modest Mouse songs, but that made me laugh. :lol:

🤔 you have those reversed.

Mario's career was far too short to be the Rolling Stones.  Kinks far too short to be Gordie.

Users who are viewing this thread