What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Non-Essential Travel - Do you Fly right now? (1 Viewer)

If you had access to your own N95 mask, would you fly right now for non-essential travel?

• Yes

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 70 58.8%

• Total voters

Buttonhook

Footballguy
Last weekend my family drove 16 hours to spend two weeks with grandparents and other close family members.  

They want me to get on a plane and spend 4-5 days with them next weekend, but it feels a bit early to "unnecessarily" expose myself to airports/airplanes to spend a few days with them.

Other items to note:

-We have a close doctor friend who offered me one of her N95 masks.

-One way flight, I would drive back with them.

-I just turned 49 and am fairly healthy, so it's not a personal concern.

-I haven't been able to find a lot of information online, except that the airlines have generally been hush on their number of employee infections/deaths, so I'm struggling to gauge the risk.

No.  I have cancelled and said no to many upcoming personal trips including a once in a lifetime opportunity to fish Atlantic Salmon on the world's best river at the best time of the year.  Not worth the risk.  That can change with a vaccine or an effective approved treatment.

There’s nowhere I want to go at the moment considering restrictions when I get there.

Removing that and just considering the act of flying if I were prepared I’d consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go.  But I'm pretty risk-tolerant.  I do have a trip to Amsterdam planned for late October.  I'm hoping a lot of the hoo-ha over this virus has passed by then.  

Voted no. Have a friend who flew to California, partly to get away from the virus in MA (there were no protests when he flew), but it's not for me.  

I’ve flown back and forth between NC and WA twice in the last two weeks. I’ll probably keep flying myself but won’t fly anywhere with my son this summer. Will take a driving vacation instead. 

No.  I have cancelled and said no to many upcoming personal trips including a once in a lifetime opportunity to fish Atlantic Salmon on the world's best river at the best time of the year.  Not worth the risk.  That can change with a vaccine or an effective approved treatment.
This, sans the Atlantic Salmon part.

Family and I are traveling to TX from FL this next weekend to visit my wife's sister. My brother in law(my sister's husband) furnished us with n95 masks for the trip, so that's a plus. Honestly, the worst thing about the trip is that we're flying Spirit. I hate that airline, but the wife picked the tickets, and they were the cheapest.

F'n chet.  :lmao:   Were you going to use those fancy fishing reels on this trip?  

We flew NY to Boise with a stop in Dallas 2 weeks ago. We head back next weekend and will fly back to Boise 3 weeks later for a month here. No n95, just regular blue masks. Not essential but we are slowly moving to Boise.

Appreciate all the comments and insight, keep 'em coming.

Based on the results of the poll over the first few hours it looks pretty close to 50/50, which confirms why I'm walking the fence myself.

Last weekend my family drove 16 hours to spend two weeks with grandparents and other close family members.  

They want me to get on a plane and spend 4-5 days with them next weekend, but it feels a bit early to "unnecessarily" expose myself to airports/airplanes to spend a few days with them.

Other items to note:

-I haven't been able to find a lot of information online, except that the airlines have generally been hush on their number of employee infections/deaths, so I'm struggling to gauge the risk.
Just go.

Safest it will ever be

Talked to my sister today. She flew from Orlando to LA yesterday. She said the airport was very quiet with few people, only 2 people in the security line. No middle seats filled on her flight. She felt safe. She was compelled to go as her daughter (my niece) is about to deliver. I'm not getting on a plane anytime soon.

Absolutely not. I just went into a store for the first time since mid-March just to get my dog's nails trimmed and that was enough for me.

#newagoraphobicintraining

Heading to Portland in late August. United has open middle seats on all flights and I will be N95 masked the whole time. I’m just waiting to see what phase Oregon is in by then to determine whether it’s worth going or waiting longer. TBD

No.  Just cancelled a family trip to Europe that was scheduled to start hte week of the 4th of July.

I don't really worry so much about me, but both of my parents are in their late 70s/early 80s and want my kids to spend time with their grandparents this summer while I don't worry about being an asymptomatic carrier.

Ditto

Just booked a flight to Seattle in August for a fantasy football draft.

Not concerned in the least about the flight.. may cancel if they aren't re opened enough to get together at a sports bar, etc.

Pretty much the same situation as OP but in reverse. We drove 16 hours from Miami on Wednesday to visit MIL in S. Illinois. Wife and son usually go every summer for a few weeks. I am heading back on Tuesday and flying through DFW back to Miami. They are staying through next weekend most likely and driving back. Booked first first class for only 20k miles to limit my exposure somewhat (no nonstops available) and as of now, 1st class is 20% full so I made it a point to book seats as far away from anyone as possible. I want to be the last one on and first one off. 

Have an N95 mask that I will be wearing on the flights back.

I grew up an airline brat so hopping on a plane is second nature to me. I also work in the travel industry in one of the hardest hit sectors so while I’m conscious of the risk, I also am trying to support the industry as a whole. It’s in everyone’s best interest to make sure that travel is safe now and going forward. 

Just booked a flight to Seattle in August for a fantasy football draft.

Not concerned in the least about the flight.. may cancel if they aren't re opened enough to get together at a sports bar, etc.
Bars in King County were just allowed to open in very limited capacity this weekend. Unless we have had a serious setback they should be at least at half capacity by August. 

Short answer for me is no, even though I'm not really worried about it if I do. But, the risk outweighs the reward to me mainly because: 

1. The weather is currently perfect where I live so not really feeling like I need to travel at this time and won't until like October.

2. I have an N-95 mask and would wear it, but I've done a several hour trial in that thing and it's hot and uncomfortable. As such, not really interested in sitting several hours on a plane with the mask on. 

3. I have four kids. Assuming they'd come along I really would dred the flight...

4. No Chet-like option for me has arisen where I'd feel like I was missing out on an opportunity. 

5. I'd assume about anywhere I'd go would have Covid-19 restrictions which would limit enjoyment in bars and restaurants.

Other items to note:

Just read the full OP here. Despite my answer being "no," I actually probably would make this flight as you describe it (unless you need an excuse to avoid the in-laws). 

If I'm understanding properly (and the OP can confirm)---he'd be flying to meet his family including grandparents and other family members?  How old are the grandparents and what is their overall health like? Are any of the other close family members elderly or have underlying health conditions?  The issue for me is not the health of the OP--but the risk factors for the people he would be visiting   I personally would not take any non essential flights at the moment regardless of if I had an N95.  That stance would be magnified even more if I was meeting anybody elderly or with  health conditions.  

jvdesigns2002 said:
If I'm understanding properly (and the OP can confirm)---he'd be flying to meet his family including grandparents and other family members?  How old are the grandparents and what is their overall health like? Are any of the other close family members elderly or have underlying health conditions?  The issue for me is not the health of the OP--but the risk factors for the people he would be visiting   I personally would not take any non essential flights at the moment regardless of if I had an N95.  That stance would be magnified even more if I was meeting anybody elderly or with  health conditions.  
I had the same viewpoint you did...  it's not so much about my personal safety but more about the safety of the family I'm going to visit.  

Grandparents are in their late 60s, not in the best of health, but they clearly don't care.  I've been getting daily photos of 12-14 family and friends with arms around each other, same thing with my wife and her 10 HS girlfriends.  We've been pretty good about social distancing, wearing masks, etc. while at home (my wife went 2 months without hugging even her best friends here),  but it's clearly fallen apart at the grandparent's house.  So now I really have no fall-back excuse to not go, except it still doesn't feel right to fly now for complete leisure. 

And the poll is definitely starting to reflect that same sentiment, 65% now saying they wouldn't go.  Thanks again for everyone's feedback.  I have until Wed. to decide...

If I get this new job where there is travel, I will be 100% fine traveling with a mask on and a giant vat of hand sanitizer strapped to my belt.  

I had the same viewpoint you did...  it's not so much about my personal safety but more about the safety of the family I'm going to visit.  

Grandparents are in their late 60s, not in the best of health, but they clearly don't care.  I've been getting daily photos of 12-14 family and friends with arms around each other, same thing with my wife and her 10 HS girlfriends.  We've been pretty good about social distancing, wearing masks, etc. while at home (my wife went 2 months without hugging even her best friends here),  but it's clearly fallen apart at the grandparent's house.  So now I really have no fall-back excuse to not go, except it still doesn't feel right to fly now for complete leisure. 

And the poll is definitely starting to reflect that same sentiment, 65% now saying they wouldn't go.  Thanks again for everyone's feedback.  I have until Wed. to decide...
Yeah—-late 60’s and not in great health is a big no no for me.   Just because others are being irresponsible doesn’t mean that you should. I’d definitely avoid—-but thats just me. Good luck 

If I get this new job where there is travel, I will be 100% fine traveling with a mask on and a giant vat of hand sanitizer strapped to my belt.  
Thats a different scenario— my guess is that you are relatively low risk and your travel would not be considered non-essential if you are doing it for your livelihood.   Congrats on the new job prospect though.  

Have N95 mask, will not be flying anywhere in the near future for non-essential travel. 

Being in the PNW, it's going to be at least ~3+ hours to anywhere (not including time spent at the airport). Masks are fine, but that's still multiple hours breathing the same air, sitting in close confines in a tight tube. 

I guess the key is non-essential in itself -- regardless of method of travel (flying, takng a train, bus, even driving) I am not going anywhere where it's not essential right now.

I may consider driving somewhere remotely to camp, stay at a hotel that isn't a tourist hotspot, etc. later on this summer. Even then, until I see continued curve improvement (specifically net new cases: existing) and what the impact of two weeks of massive demonstrations have on the curve (which we should start to be seeing shortly), I am staying home.

Other items to note:

If you actually want to go I totally would (doesn't really sound like you want too though lol)   Like someone else said its never going to be safer than right now (until a vaccine comes out).   The couple people that I know that have flown in the last month said the airplanes are dead and the airports are spotless.

Have N95 mask, will not be flying anywhere in the near future for non-essential travel. 

Being in the PNW, it's going to be at least ~3+ hours to anywhere (not including time spent at the airport). Masks are fine, but that's still multiple hours breathing the same air, sitting in close confines in a tight tube. 

I guess the key is non-essential in itself -- regardless of method of travel (flying, takng a train, bus, even driving) I am not going anywhere where it's not essential right now.

I may consider driving somewhere remotely to camp, stay at a hotel that isn't a tourist hotspot, etc. later on this summer. Even then, until I see continued curve improvement (specifically net new cases: existing) and what the impact of two weeks of massive demonstrations have on the curve (which we should start to be seeing shortly), I am staying home.
I wish I could wait one more week, and see how much the numbers spike, partially from the demonstrations but more from the results of the country opening back up Memorial Day weekend and with society as a whole recently exhibiting a much more lazy approach to personal space, masks, etc.  

I feel like a can generally keep my distance from people while in the airport.

My biggest concern is sitting on the airplane near someone who's sneezing/coughing the whole flight.  Anyone know if there's truth to the stories I'm hearing about airlines not letting you relocate to another seat in these situations?

My office forced a week of unpaid furlough. I miss my family (parents / brother / nieces). I've got a full compliment of PPE. 

Plan is Ill be in a proper N95 w surgical mask over it from the time I walk into MEM until the time I walk out of TPA. Window seat.... wipe everything down at my seat.

When walking out, throw away the mask, sanitize the hell out of my hands and face, wipe everything else down and jump in the car. 

Debating using some 3M safety glasses that are small and have a gasket... not sure if it'll help but would seem to be better than nothing? 

My office forced a week of unpaid furlough. I miss my family (parents / brother / nieces). I've got a full compliment of PPE. 

Plan is Ill be in a proper N95 w surgical mask over it from the time I walk into MEM until the time I walk out of TPA. Window seat.... wipe everything down at my seat.

When walking out, throw away the mask, sanitize the hell out of my hands and face, wipe everything else down and jump in the car. 

Debating using some 3M safety glasses that are small and have a gasket... not sure if it'll help but would seem to be better than nothing? 

You'd think that airlines would spend a little more time prepping their planes, which would include a total wipedown of all surfaces inbetween flights.  They have the time now, there are obviously way less flights than normal, so spend an extra half hour with the plane at the gate and wipe everything down.  A crew of 4-5 people could do this in 15 minutes probably.

[icon] said:

I think you're spot on with adding those glasses, definitely couldn't hurt.

Quick Update:  I bailed on my flight today.  Family is OK with it.  I would definitely get on a flight if I had to (i.e. work, family emergency) but this flight really seemed unnecessary.  I was booked on a Southwest flight and it looked like it was a "full" flight (2/3 seats sold), which also played a part in my decision.  If I knew the plane would be "empty" as some have experienced I might have changed my mind. Also, I definitely considered the poll results, with almost twice as many of you saying you wouldn't fly, so thanks for that FBGs. 

Signed, Nancy

nirad3 said:
You'd think that airlines would spend a little more time prepping their planes, which would include a total wipedown of all surfaces inbetween flights.  They have the time now, there are obviously way less flights than normal, so spend an extra half hour with the plane at the gate and wipe everything down.  A crew of 4-5 people could do this in 15 minutes probably.
The airlines are doing this - at least Delta. Delta also hands you an individually packaged wipe as you board to wipe down anything you want as well. I’ve flown NC to WA round trip twice in the last 2 weeks and will do it once more by the end of the month. Wear a mask from the time I get to the airport until I leave the destination airport. Only take it off for a few minutes to eat or drink.

I’m in the process of moving so my travel may fall closer to essential than non-essential. 

I flew from Phoenix to DC a couple weeks ago and felt fine and safe. Everyone wore a mask the entire flight. The airports felt like ghost towns.

I have an Alaskan Salmon fishing trip planned at the end of July in the best river in the world for Sockeye, and plan to go no matter what (this will be our 8th year).

I flew from Phoenix to DC a couple weeks ago and felt fine and safe. Everyone wore a mask the entire flight. The airports felt like ghost towns.

I have an Alaskan Salmon fishing trip planned at the end of July in the best river in the world for Sockeye, and plan to go no matter what (this will be our 8th year).
You going to tell @chet you're going without him?

Supposed to fly to Chicago a week from today for semi-annual visit to see family and to also to go to camping/disc golf weekend in Wisconsin. I'm still planning on going and will be taking all the precautions and preparations.

Interview tomorrow, they said travel will start back up in Q420.  Wonder how things will be then.... 

Our company is holding the line on 14 day quarantine after any single day of air travel. So max our project mgmt or sales team can do is 2 trips a month

Heard the first talk of any potential work travel today. Super earlier in discussions / planning but this is the first mention of anything since this started.

Users who are viewing this thread