What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Several Cowboys & Texans Test Positive for COVID19 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yeah it's not just about the health of the players. Coaches, staff, admin, stadium crews, press, tv, other support staff. If it hits one it will hit ten. And so on. If we're going to obsess over the risk level of the athletes, understand that managers are thinking about all of them. There are plenty of high risk people involved in making the 2020 NFL season happen. Leaders know this. It won't take much at all to postpone or cancel this season. 

So yeah it's not just about the health of the players. Coaches, staff, admin, stadium crews, press, tv, other support staff. If it hits one it will hit ten. And so on. If we're going to obsess over the risk level of the athletes, understand that managers are thinking about all of them. There are plenty of high risk people involved in making the 2020 NFL season happen. Leaders know this. It won't take much at all to postpone or cancel this season. 
I agree with your logic and just want to add the NFL has the benefit of seeing what happens as the NBA and NHL try to restart.  If those leagues can't pull it off -and there have already been rashes of outbreaks in the 5 seconds after they merely reopened facilities- the NFL surely won't be able to either.  

Honestly this all gets more depressing by the day.  

I am aware that 18-29 year olds are exposing themselves at a high rate. I'm also aware that this age group doesn't suffer the effects of Covid like the older folks do unless they have health issues.
It’s not the exposure. It’s the ICUs filling up with 18-29 year-olds in AZ, FL, TX & other places that have relaxed restrictions. 

thats why it compares directly to NFL players, who as you point out average 26 years old. seems important.

I agree with your logic and just want to add the NFL has the benefit of seeing what happens as the NBA and NHL try to restart.  If those leagues can't pull it off -and there have already been rashes of outbreaks in the 5 seconds after they merely reopened facilities- the NFL surely won't be able to either.  

agreed - I said pages ago that the NFL is a bit lucky with timing. This hit right after the Super Bowl. Of all the sports, they have the best timing. 

that said, they also have one of the weaker players unions, and greediest owners. And there’s arguably more $ involved than any other league.

As we’ve seen, money & power isn’t an awesome recipe for “best practices” decision-making. 

Honestly this all gets more depressing by the day.  
Agreed. It a sucks. 

There could be up to a two week incubation. The average time of getting the infection is five days.
Last I read it was 3 days on average from exposure to symptomatic. 

the 2-week number is the scariest because that’s 2 weeks+ that players could have it, spread it and not know it. 

Link for the data on Fla ICU demographics?
It’s what’s being reported on the news, along with 36,000+ new cases country-wife in 1 day. 

I have it on in the background while I pack orders. 

it’s hard to link to my television but I’m sure you have google. Type “g-o-o-g-l-e” and you’ll see a little box you can search for things with. It’s a whole world of information. 

Important for consideration - humanity over fantasy sports. This writer is talking about baseball, but she gets it. 

her point of “don’t talk about X player coming down with COVID as “it’s bad for my fantasy team” - spot on. These are people. Some will get sick. Some more than others. 

as fantasy “managers” it’s easy to fall into that trap. I’m going to try to avoid it myself. 

https://twitter.com/eireanndolan/status/1276193726843555845?s=21

It’s what’s being reported on the news, along with 36,000+ new cases country-wife in 1 day. 

I have it on in the background while I pack orders. 

it’s hard to link to my television but I’m sure you have google. Type “g-o-o-g-l-e” and you’ll see a little box you can search for things with. It’s a whole world of information. 
Got it so you don’t have an accurate source you can share it’s just something you heard in the background while doing something else but then decided to post here as if it’s a concrete fact.

no, I read the study. But there was additional discussion of age in the twitter thread. 

again - it’s not the end-all be-all of knowledge. Just one more window into understanding.

are you saying no players are at risk because they have an average age of “around 26”?

you should check out what’s happening to the 18-29 demographic in Florida right now. 
All players are at risk of GETTING IT.  Very very few are at risk of anything more than a cough for a few days.  Maybe 1 in a million players are at risk of death. 

How many in the 18-29 Florida demographic are extremely ill and had no prior conditions and have the best health care?  Probably not many, if any.

All players are at risk of GETTING IT.  Very very few are at risk of anything more than a cough for a few days.  Maybe 1 in a million players are at risk of death. 

How many in the 18-29 Florida demographic are extremely ill and had no prior conditions and have the best health care?  Probably not many, if any.
Many NFL players have prior conditions.

Got it so you don’t have an accurate source you can share it’s just something you heard in the background while doing something else but then decided to post here as if it’s a concrete fact.
No, I’m just not keen on sea lions. Have a nice day. 

Many NFL players have prior conditions.
i'm not talking "asthma".  I'm talking severe conditions that are putting these people in ICU's.  The people in their age group being put in the ICU are almost all prior conditions.  If every NFL player got Covid, I'd put good money down that not a single one's life would be in danger.  In fact, looking at stats, not a single one of them would even be intubated, or put in the ICU.  And we aren't talking "0 to maybe 1".  We're talking it would take 500 NFL leagues at 1700 players each to have one person's life in danger.

This is not a binary case of people taking it too seriously or not seriously enough.  I've stated many times my stance on the severity of Covid and how I believe most people are not taking this seriously enough.  But since this is an NFL thread, that is talking ONLY ABOUT NFL PLAYERS WHO HAVE COVID, this is a very very very tiny issue for them... but huge for many other groups.

i'm not talking "asthma".  I'm talking severe conditions that are putting these people in ICU's.  The people in their age group being put in the ICU are almost all prior conditions.  If every NFL player got Covid, I'd put good money down that not a single one's life would be in danger.  In fact, looking at stats, not a single one of them would even be intubated, or put in the ICU.  And we aren't talking "0 to maybe 1".  We're talking it would take 500 NFL leagues at 1700 players each to have one person's life in danger.

This is not a binary case of people taking it too seriously or not seriously enough.  I've stated many times my stance on the severity of Covid and how I believe most people are not taking this seriously enough.  But since this is an NFL thread, that is talking ONLY ABOUT NFL PLAYERS WHO HAVE COVID, this is a very very very tiny issue for them... but huge for many other groups.
You're just making stuff up.

You're just making stuff up.
Not making anything up.  Do you have any stats on that age group and what the death rate is and how many have prior conditions and how many had great healthcare access?  Or are you like Hot Sauce Guy who mentioned a cruise where only old people got critically ill but he ignored those facts when it didn't fit the narrative?

Again, this is not binary.  This is not a "take it too seriously vs not serious enough" debate.  I wear a mask every day.  I social distance.  I take a lot of precautions in my personal and professional life to stop the spread of this because this is serious.  This is not a serious virus at all (based on science) for NFL players.  At all.  This is a very serious virus if an NFL player gets it and it spreads and another outbreak happens (which we're already seeing now).  I'm not denying this at all.  I'm on the side of "covid isn't being taken seriously enough", just as you are.  But the actual death, intubation, ICU, very serious health conditions FOR NFL ATHLETES are as close to 0 as you can possibly get.

I don't know why it's not in the Politics forum where @Joe Bryant moved it once before.  And then it got remade and still isn't NFL talk.  And then he warned he would move it again, and it's still not NFL talk and is talking about death rates on a cruise ship.
There is legit NFL talk about this matter. In fact, there is an informative thread in the FFA about this very thing ("How will CV affect the NFL?"). In that thread, I just posted the following items:

John Berman
@JohnBerman

JUST NOW: "Football is a nonessential business and so we don't need to do it. So the risk, you know, has to be really eliminated before we -- before I would feel comfortable with going back. "

Saints @MalcolmJenkins  concerned about a return to play

Malcolm Jenkins: Returning to play on “trust system” puts us at risk (ProFootballTalk)

Unlike the NBA, the NFL is not going to be locking players, coaches and others in a “bubble” while trying to play this year. Jenkins noted that increases interactions with people outside of teams and creates other considerations for those needed to make the season happen.

“We kinda end up being on this trust system. The honor system, where we just have to kind of hope that people are social distancing and things like that. And that puts all of us at risk,” Jenkins said. “Not only us as players and who’s in the building, but when you go home to your families. I have parents who I don’t want to get sick. Until we get to the point where we have protocols in place and until we get to a place as a country where we feel safe doing it, we have to understand that football is a nonessential business and so we don’t need to do it. So the risk, you know, has to be really eliminated before we, before I would feel comfortable with going back.”

Now ... the question is: how much company does Jenkins have among NFL players? I know it won't be 100%. I would doubt it would even be 50% (at least not right this minute). But is Jenkins truly on an island here or not?

There is legit NFL talk about this matter. In fact, there is an informative thread in the FFA about this very thing ("How will CV affect the NFL?"). In that thread, I just posted the following items:

Now ... the question is: how much company does Jenkins have among NFL players? I know it won't be 100%. I would doubt it would even be 50% (at least not right this minute). But is Jenkins truly on an island here or not?
I suspect he’s in the vast minority here as I’d guess the majority think they are Superman and even if it were a 1% (it’s not) chance they’d suffer severe consequences from getting it they’d still assume they won’t be the 1% to get it bad. He brings up a good point about worrying about his parents though and if he isn’t willing to avoid contact with them during the season then he should sit out the season and I wouldn’t judge him for it. 

It's easy for a guy like Jenkins to say this is not essential business when he has millions in the bank. There is a lot more to this business than just the players and those directly related to the teams. If football doesn't go this year that will crush the economy. I have to think that football is to big to fail. 

I agree with Jenkins regarding the safety measures. The lack of trust and confidence that a safe environment will be provided is real amongst all involved. People in this country better start taking this more seriously and get these numbers down. Ultimately, I think it might be inflated egos of many in this country that might sink this season. There will probably be a decent number of players who will refuse to play. The NFL better get real creative very quickly or this could be a mess.

It’s not the exposure. It’s the ICUs filling up with 18-29 year-olds in AZ, FL, TX & other places that have relaxed restrictions. 

thats why it compares directly to NFL players, who as you point out average 26 years old. seems important.
I live in Arizona and have not heard anything about ICU's filling up with 18-29 year olds. 

The cases are increasing with this group. 

Not making anything up.  Do you have any stats on that age group and what the death rate is and how many have prior conditions and how many had great healthcare access?  Or are you like Hot Sauce Guy who mentioned a cruise where only old people got critically ill but he ignored those facts when it didn't fit the narrative?

Again, this is not binary.  This is not a "take it too seriously vs not serious enough" debate.  I wear a mask every day.  I social distance.  I take a lot of precautions in my personal and professional life to stop the spread of this because this is serious.  This is not a serious virus at all (based on science) for NFL players.  At all.  This is a very serious virus if an NFL player gets it and it spreads and another outbreak happens (which we're already seeing now).  I'm not denying this at all.  I'm on the side of "covid isn't being taken seriously enough", just as you are.  But the actual death, intubation, ICU, very serious health conditions FOR NFL ATHLETES are as close to 0 as you can possibly get.
I think those who exaggerate the numbers unintentionally create more resistance from the deniers. This divide is helping to fuel the spread of the virus. We need to stop the spread of "doom and gloom" and start calling things as they are. There is a tremendous mistrust out there because of the misrepresenting of data. 

One last time before this thread gets locked.

Keep it to NFL talk. Full stop. There are a bunch of threads in other forums we host where they're talking about everything else related to this obviously very important topic. For here, keep it to NFL or it's going to get locked. 

I wonder how late into the year NFL could delay the season opening? How far into 2021 could they continue to play?
A few months ago, I had seen something about speculative plans to move the Super Bowl three weeks later to the last weekend in February (from Sun 2/7/2021 to Sun 2/28/2021),  and from there "rebuild" the season as well as possible. Maybe taking back the dead weekend between the conference title games and the Super Bowl, as well.

So, if you throw all that speculation into a blender, and treat the 1982 strike season (9 games) as a "minimum games" case ... the regular season could start as late as the weekend of Dec 6, 2020. That would be no regular season byes and no off weeks during the playoffs.

I live in Arizona and have not heard anything about ICU's filling up with 18-29 year olds. 

The cases are increasing with this group. 
What was said about ICUs specifically was that they were approaching 80% capacity after a brief time of flattening the curve & seeing lower numbers. 

Not sure what you’re seeing matters when this is what’s being reported. Maybe you think it’s fake news? And my apologies - it’s 84% capacity as of yesterday. 

Coronavirus hospitalizations in Arizona and Texas have hit record numbers as cases continue to surge in states in the South and the West, overwhelming medical professionals.

Arizona reported a record high of 3,591 new cases Tuesday, with nearly 60,000 known cases in the state overall. The swell in cases came as President Donald Trump held a rally at a Phoenix megachurch Tuesday.

There was a surge in the number of inpatient beds occupied by positive or suspected COVID-19 patients, with 2,136 beds occupied, compared to 1,992 Sunday, according to data from the state's Department of Health Services.

Meanwhile, 84 percent of intensive care unit beds were in use at Arizona hospitals and 83 percent of inpatient beds were in use as of Monday, according to the data.

"Each day I've been going into work over the last month is worse, and what I mean by worse is ... just overwhelmed with COVID patients," said Dr. Frank LoVecchio, who works in several Arizona hospitals in emergency medicine and public health.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coronavirus-hospitalizations-surge-arizona-texas-n1231945

Keep it to NFL talk. Full stop. There are a bunch of threads in other forums we host where they're talking about everything else related to this obviously very important topic. For here, keep it to NFL or it's going to get locked. 
Oops - sorry, you posted this at the same time I posted the AZ numbers. 

apologies. Had I seen this I wouldn’t have posted. 

I wonder how late into the year NFL could delay the season opening? How far into 2021 could they continue to play?
That’s the question Baseball & basketball are struggling with now. When is it time to just throw in the towel & call it a lost season. 

Seems like most projects you have to look at the targeted end date and work backwards from there. So the question is probably “how far can they push back the Super Bowl and not interfere with the 2021 season” 

I don’t know the answer but that’s likely the approach. 

It's kind of hard to talk NFL and not talk Coronavirus.

What was said about ICUs specifically was that they were approaching 80% capacity after a brief time of flattening the curve & seeing lower numbers. 

Not sure what you’re seeing matters when this is what’s being reported. Maybe you think it’s fake news? And my apologies - it’s 84% capacity as of yesterday. 
As it relates to football, ICU beds filling up would be a really bad thing. If hospitals truly do get overrun the public perception the NFL will have to battle will be much worse. Also as it relates to the football, nothing you posted mentions the 18-29 year old demographic that you are saying is populating the ICU usage surge.

Where does it say that younger people are flooding the ICU's? 

BTW its 88% capacity.

This is football related because we are talking the ages of football players.

Every study done so far has found that asthma increases the risk of severe illness. Every study done so far has found that Black people are more likely to get severe illness. So the fact that NFL athletes are predominantly black, and many have asthma and other co-morbidities, suggests that there are NFL players who have significant risks relative to other people their age.

Could you show a study which suggests that that is not true?

Every study done so far has found that asthma increases the risk of severe illness. Every study done so far has found that Black people are more likely to get severe illness. So the fact that NFL athletes are predominantly black, and many have asthma and other co-morbidities, suggests that there are NFL players who have significant risks relative to other people their age.

Much of the effects that Covid is having on the black community is that many blacks live in impoverished areas and don't have access to quality health care.  This is not the case of NFL players. Those with with health issues will have to make a decision whether to play or not.

You're going in circles.  Many people have told you that there's other reason's  black people are more susceptible.... you're bringing up social groups that are not NFL players.  Black people also disproportionately die of starvation in the world.  Guess that means that NFL players are at higher risk of dying of starvation too right?

As for ashtma, not a ton of them have it.  Could you list the players?  Even so, asthma is not a huge risk group, and most of the NFL players who do have it, don't have the severe cases (they wouldn't be able to play football if they did) that most of the people who have had covid complications due to their asthma do. 

Even if you add in all your false narratives that are totally not relevant to this, they also have early testing and top healthcare.... something most people don't have.  Calling NFL athletes at a "high risk relative to other people their age" is such crazy misinformation and is the reason things are so bad right now... misinformation like what you're spreading now.

Much of the effects that Covid is having on the black community is that many blacks live in impoverished areas and don't have access to quality health care.  This is not the case of NFL players. Those with with health issues will have to make a decision whether to play or not.
Don't try talking sense into him, he's been clear that he's made up his mind and will ignore science and medical evidence.

Alright but obesity is also considered a risk factor with this and most linemen, although world class athletes, fall in that category. Sickle cell is another one that is a risk factor with the African American population. 

But again, all the other staff are going to be a part of this, too. And they have plenty of their own risk factors as well.

If a mini outbreak occurs within a club, it will threaten whatever local area they're in, and it may threaten other clubs as well. It's not going to be about the threat to healthy player x,y, or z, it's going to be about the transmissibility to the larger community at that point. Which is why it won't take much to shut this thing down.

But, if a player does develop more serious symptoms,  the margin for error gets even smaller in terms of whether the show goes on or not.

@Joe Bryant I don't know what the right answer is here, but I don't think we can talk about football in the bubble of a coronavirus thread, without talking about the nature of the virus itself. I realize it's been covered elsewhere but the landscape also changes rapidly and is worthy of refreshing the topic.

I wouldn't mind if some people took a voluntary break since their views have been laid out seventy times, but as to the question of locking this or keeping it on NFL, I honestly don't know how. We've been specifically talking about how it could affect players and clubs, so to me it is NFL relevant stuff. The back and forth personal stuff is no different than any other thread and people should still be cool to each other. My ten cents. 

Back to the skittles analogy: 

you’ve got a bowl of 100 skittles. 1 can kill you & 3 others will make you extremely sick. Are you going to eat any skittles? :no:  

you’ve got a bowl of 100 skittles. 3 can kill your mother/grandmother & 10 others will make them extremely sick. Are you going to pass the bowl of skittles over to them?  :no:  
This makes covid seem like a choice.

Its not going away. 
a better analogy is: 

you have a bowl of 100 skittles, 1 can kill you and 3 will make you sick. You must eat one. Do you starve yourself?

I tried making this point already. COVID isn’t racist 

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright but obesity is also considered a risk factor with this and most linemen, although world class athletes, fall in that category. Sickle cell is another one that is a risk factor with the African American population. 

But again, all the other staff are going to be a part of this, too. And they have plenty of their own risk factors as well.

If a mini outbreak occurs within a club, it will threaten whatever local area they're in, and it may threaten other clubs as well. It's not going to be about the threat to healthy player x,y, or z, it's going to be about the transmissibility to the larger community at that point. Which is why it won't take much to shut this thing down.

But, if a player does develop more serious symptoms,  the margin for error gets even smaller in terms of whether the show goes on or not.

@Joe Bryant I don't know what the right answer is here, but I don't think we can talk about football in the bubble of a coronavirus thread, without talking about the nature of the virus itself. I realize it's been covered elsewhere but the landscape also changes rapidly and is worthy of refreshing the topic.

I wouldn't mind if some people took a voluntary break since their views have been laid out seventy times, but as to the question of locking this or keeping it on NFL, I honestly don't know how. We've been specifically talking about how it could affect players and clubs, so to me it is NFL relevant stuff. The back and forth personal stuff is no different than any other thread and people should still be cool to each other. My ten cents. 
That'd be cool if we can talk about it as it's connected to the NFL. A few people are on suspension it looks like as they refused to stop making it personal when we asked them to. 

We'll see. 

I would think they could successfully  trace who might have been in contact with a person who tests positive. They will be testing I think every day. I don't think a player with Coronavirus would be anymore a risk to society than someone who tested positive at Walmart. The Walmart person would be more dangerous since he could have had it for a longer time. 

I would think they could successfully  trace who might have been in contact with a person who tests positive. They will be testing I think every day. I don't think a player with Coronavirus would be anymore a risk to society than someone who tested positive at Walmart. The Walmart person would be more dangerous since he could have had it for a longer time. 
My point is it's never going to be just one person or player. It will undoubtedly be a cluster, and although they can test and trace and isolate (are there locales out there successfully pulling this off in the US?), it is likely to late to contain from the standpoint of the team at that point. Or at least plausible anyway. 

Question, to anyone, I know there's been lots of talk about players getting tested but what about all the other people at every level? This is a blind spot for me in terms of hearing people talk about that, and I genuinely would like to know if it is being discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is it's never going to be just one person or player. It will undoubtedly be a cluster, and although they can test and trace and isolate (are there locales out there successfully pulling this off in the US?), it is likely to late to contain from the standpoint of the team at that point. Or at least plausible anyway. 

Question, to anyone, I know there's been lots of talk about players getting tested but what about all the other people at every level? This is a blind spot for me in terms of hearing people talk about that, and I genuinely would like to know if it is being discussed.
I think you can't possibly run a sports organization unless everyone is getting tested more or less every day. I mean, one trainer could infect the whole team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread