What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

40.13 -- Sullivan's Travels, 40's.

Sullivan's Travels is a 1941 American comedy film written and directed by Preston Sturges. It is a satire about Hollywood's top director of comedies, played by Joel McCrea, who longs to make a socially relevant drama, but eventually learns that creating laughter is his greatest contribution to society.

Media historian Hal Erickson classified it as a "classic", "one of the finest movies about movies ever made" and a "masterpiece". In 1990, it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked it as the No. 61 Greatest American Movie of All Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Orphanage is one of those damn good creepy horror movies that could also convince some people about foreign movies, especially if they like the genre. 
It was a double whammy of horror and foreign and I still liked it.

Two old ones: The Third Man, and It Happened One Night.
Good choices too.  

The selections so far goes along with my question of what would you suggest people to watch if they aren't familiar with classics and foreign movies.    I would also be a good list to have on the OP - maybe something like the 2 movie from your draft that fits the question 80s had.  

It was a double whammy or horror and foreign and I still liked it.
That movie is a lot of why I like foreign movies in the genre.   A lot of the good ones are still about building tension and creepiness without a crapload of blood.   Popular American ones tend to veer towards the slashers, blood, and cheap jump scares.   Of course there are exceptions, to both, but when I started digging into the foreign horror movies, there were more that actually scared me.  

The 2 that I took would be:

The Battle for Algiers: such a raw and powerful movie, feels like watching history. Not the boring history of politicians talking or opulent aristocrats discussing affairs from their salon, but revolutionaries planting bombs in cafes, militant occupiers who rule by terror, paratroopers,machine guns and the futile attempts to both carry on a revolution and to stop one. 

Anatomy of a Murder:   For those that like court room movies, this is the Godfather here. Hazy shades of gray, dueling icons in the lawyer roles, salaciousness and a unique sense of place. 

The 2 that I took would be:

The Battle for Algiers: such a raw and powerful movie, feels like watching history. Not the boring history of politicians talking or opulent aristocrats discussing affairs from their salon, but revolutionaries planting bombs in cafes, militant occupiers who rule by terror, paratroopers,machine guns and the futile attempts to both carry on a revolution and to stop one. 

Anatomy of a Murder:   For those that like court room movies, this is the Godfather here. Hazy shades of gray, dueling icons in the lawyer roles, salaciousness and a unique sense of place. 
So maybe I watch these, and you watch City of God and Heat? 

Question for everyone:

What are 1 or 2 movies that you have drafted that you think people are less likely to have seen but most would enjoy? 
Out of the past and taking of Pelham 123, then probably the verdict and breaking away...

And my foreign choice... cinema paradiso 

Well, we have 3 of Bogie's movies, we might as well have the director that goes with him.....

40.15 - John Huston - Legendary Director

The Maltese Falcon, The African Queen, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

He made more with Bogie and much more beyond that.  5 times nominated as Best Director - won for Sierra Madre. 

He morphed over the years and had some other huge movies that I can't spotlight but he had almost a 50 year career of directing movies and the 10 years before his first direction (The Maltese Falcon) he was a writer.  Lifelong giant in the film industry.  Dude could act too - several appearances not only in his own films but others too.

One thing of note that I found interesting while reading about him - he was the voice of Gandalf in a previous cartoon version of The Hobbit and LoTR.

@KarmaPolice - up for 2

Well, we have 3 of Bogie's movies, we might as well have the director that goes with him.....

He made more with Bogie and much more beyond that.  5 times nominated as Best Director - won for Sierra Madre. 

He morphed over the years and had some other huge movies that I can't spotlight but he had almost a 50 year career of directing movies and the 10 years before his first direction (The Maltese Falcon) he was a writer.  Lifelong giant in the film industry.  Dude could act too - several appearances not only in his own films but others too.

One thing of note that I found interesting while reading about him - he was the voice of Gandalf in a previous cartoon version of The Hobbit and LoTR.

@KarmaPolice - up for 2
Big whiff by Tim taking Kramer over Huston (and a couple others). Nice value here. 

@KarmaPolice - up for 2
best storyteller in the history of the medium and it's not particularly close. also, the 20th Century life i would most have wanted to be mine

Wikkid is right - this dude lived an amazing life.  I will paste from Wiki but edit:

John Huston was an American film director, screenwriter, actor, and visual artist. He traveled widely, settling at various times in France, Mexico, and Ireland. Huston was a citizen of the United States by birth but renounced U.S. citizenship to become an Irish citizen and resident in 1964. He later returned to the United States, where he lived the rest of his life.  He wrote the screenplays for most of the 37 feature films he directed, many of which are today considered classics: The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), <redacted>, The African Queen (1951), <redacted>

In his early years, Huston studied and worked as a fine art painter in Paris. He then moved to Mexico, and began writing, first plays and short stories, and later working in Los Angeles as a Hollywood screenwriter, and was nominated for several Academy Awards writing for films directed by William Dieterle and Howard Hawks, among others. His directorial debut came with The Maltese Falcon, which despite its small budget became a commercial and critical hit; he would continue to be a successful, if iconoclastic, Hollywood director for the next 45 years. He explored the visual aspects of his films throughout his career, sketching each scene on paper beforehand, then carefully framing his characters during the shooting. While most directors rely on post-production editing to shape their final work, Huston instead created his films while they were being shot, with little editing needed. Some of Huston's films were adaptations of important novels, often depicting an "heroic quest," as in Moby ****, or The Red Badge of Courage. (I didn't redact these as I'm assuming no one will pick them). In many films, different groups of people, while struggling toward a common goal, would become doomed, forming "destructive alliances," giving the films a dramatic and visual tension. Many of his films involved themes such as religion, meaning, truth, freedom, psychology, colonialism, and war.

Huston has been referred to as "a titan", "a rebel", and a "renaissance man" in the Hollywood film industry. Author Ian Freer describes him as "cinema's Ernest Hemingway"—a filmmaker who was "never afraid to tackle tough issues head on."  During his 46-year career, Huston received 15 Oscar nominations, winning twice. He directed both his father, Walter Huston, and daughter, Anjelica Huston, to Oscar wins.

Maybe this was the one that people thought I was going with, but I think it was another somebody was hinting at.   I listened to a ton of scores the other night that I love from the last 20 years or so, and a lot of them are freaky.  This is one that stood out that I listen to the most, and it is the collaboration between one of my favorite directors and one of my favorite musicians.   Yet again, not those two, but this one...

40.16:  THE SOCIAL NETWORK - film score.   

Ended up winning Oscar for Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.   From the get-go I was hooked on this score with Hand Covers Bruise as Zuckerberg runs through Harvard.  

Alright, I am going to do a shift.   Please place Zodiac in historical drama.   @Ocram    This is why I asked about the 30 year rule - Zodiac barely hits this.  While it has tense moments, I THINK it fits better in here.   Fincher's attention to detail (probably a nice way to put it) really comes through with the look and accuracy of this story.   In it's place for the suspense category will be:

41.01:  SPOORLOOS, aka THE VANISHING - suspense.  

41.02 - The Blues Brothers - Rock

"What kind of music do you usually have here?  Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western."

"We're on a mission from God."

"Illinois Nazis.   I hate Illinois Nazis."

"Four fried chickens, and a Coke."

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

@joffer

"What kind of music do you usually have here?  Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western."

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

@joffer
Thats not a rock movie.....its a blues movie.  It's right there in the title.

Thats not a rock movie.....its a blues movie.  It's right there in the title.
It’s on pretty much every list of best Rock movies I could find online.  I will say that I didn’t check any Blues Movie lists.
Really, if you consider the music in the film -- both soundtrack releases and unreleased scene accompaniments -- The Blues Brothers gives a pretty good lesson on the origins of early rock and roll.

Really, if you consider the music in the film -- both soundtrack releases and unreleased scene accompaniments -- The Blues Brothers gives a pretty good lesson on the origins of early rock and roll.
I know.  I was actually trying to make a joke.  I guess it wasn't a good one....hahaha

@joffer
I caught this over the weekend for the first time in probably 20 years. It was still as dumb & crazy as I remembered and I still laughed my ### off. :lmao:

The soundtrack is the gold standard for all soundtracks.

"Are you police officers?" "No ma'am, we're musicians"

41.05 - Federico Fellini - Legendary director

I took both of his masterpieces, so I may as well take the man. 

From wiki: Federico Fellini  was an Italian film director and screenwriter known for his distinctive style, which blends fantasy and baroque images with earthiness. He is recognized as one of the greatest and most influential filmmakers of all time. His films have ranked in polls such as Cahiers du cinéma and Sight & Sound, which lists his 1963 film 8 1⁄2 as the 10th-greatest film.

Fellini won the Palme d'Or for La Dolce Vita, was nominated for twelve Academy Awards, and won four in the category of Best Foreign Language Film, the most for any director in the history of the Academy. 

41.05 - Federico Fellini - Legendary director

I took both of his masterpieces, so I may as well take the man. 

From wiki: Federico Fellini  was an Italian film director and screenwriter known for his distinctive style, which blends fantasy and baroque images with earthiness. He is recognized as one of the greatest and most influential filmmakers of all time. His films have ranked in polls such as Cahiers du cinéma and Sight & Sound, which lists his 1963 film 8 1⁄2 as the 10th-greatest film.

Fellini won the Palme d'Or for La Dolce Vita, was nominated for twelve Academy Awards, and won four in the category of Best Foreign Language Film, the most for any director in the history of the Academy. 
That is the other director I thought Tim really whiffed on going with Stanley Kramer. 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb

Users who are viewing this thread