What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Ok, this might be like one of my dfs last second moves that might end up costing me money, but:

@Ocram, I am moving:

Dead Poets Society ----->  historical

Zodiac ------> Based on true events

Diving Bell and the Butterfly ----> Foreign for now.  

That will make room for:  47.01:   HEATHERS - teen movie
watched this for the first time a few weeks back.  it's....interesting.  but its DEFINITELY a teen movie.

watched this for the first time a few weeks back.  it's....interesting.  but its DEFINITELY a teen movie.
It's the original Mean Girls.  Agree it's "interesting", and some of the jokes and language probably don't hold up through a 2020 lens (a lot of 80s movies don't), but I thought it was a prime candidate for top points at the start of the draft.  

Besides Breakfast Club, Heathers and another one still undrafted were the 1st 3 I wrote down.  
I bet I know what this is. It's iconic and launched some great careers. Roger Ebert liked this movie a lot and it's pretty strong on RT ... probably would rank Top 3 in this thing.

Ok, this might be like one of my dfs last second moves that might end up costing me money, but:

@Ocram, I am moving:

Dead Poets Society ----->  historical

Zodiac ------> Based on true events

Diving Bell and the Butterfly ----> Foreign for now.  

That will make room for:  47.01:   HEATHERS - teen movie
Greetings and salutations.

47.05 - Synecdoche, New York - 2000's

A strange movie that I like a lot. Weird dude builds a miniature city, what is real, what isn't? Whatever it is, it's pretty trippy, and Philip Seymour Hoffman is great as usual.

From wiki: The story and themes of Synecdoche, New York polarized critics: some called it pretentious or self-indulgent; others declared it a masterpiece and later listed it among the best films of the 2000s, with Roger Ebert ranking it as the decade's best. The film was also nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival.

@Doug B

Now knowing rock's criteria, this is a pretty strong late-draft grab.
Not bad at all. I only blabbed so people weren't surprised when their highly rated movies got dinged for not being of the "teen" variety.

He would have likely come in second or third with his other one, one in which I know what it is. 

Not bad at all. I only blabbed so people weren't surprised when their highly rated movies got dinged for not being of the "teen" variety.

He would have likely come in second or third with his other one, one in which I know what it is. 
Dammit!  I thought your cold heart would like that one less.  ;)

Dammit!  I thought your cold heart would like that one less.  ;)
Nope. I'm actually warm-blooded. That said, I've ranked most of them really tightly. It's the critics and the binary that will determine a lot of the seeding. It puts more weight on my own subjective thinking than people think. And aside from "To Sir," which I've never seen, I like every single movie on the list. They're all really good movies. I happen to dig the genre. 

I'm obviously not in charge but thought the next post would be useful/helpful to the judges.  Also, wanted to get it posted to tag all the judges to let them know we are almost done.

We do still have the same 3 categories open (unless I missed somebody claiming them):

• Genre - Based on Book or Novel
  • Genre - Based on Real Events
  • Genre - Musical
It would be great if somebody could claim them - I may be willing to take one of the first two but no way I'm taking musicals.

"No, nothing I ever do is good enough. Not beautiful enough, it's not funny enough, it's not deep enough, it's not anything enough. Now, when I see a rose, that's perfect. I mean, that's perfect. I want to look up to God and say, "How the hell did you do that? And why the hell can't I do that?"

"Now that's probably one of your better con lines."

"Yeah, it is. But that doesn't mean I don't mean it."

47.06: All That Jazz (1979), Musical Film

Film critic Matt Zoller Seitz (scroll down just past Youtube video, which was an excerpt meant to be included on the Blu Ray) :

Sometimes the dancers seem to be moving in time to the music. Other times their movements are sliced up and rearranged. Or flung at our eyes like handfuls of confetti.

There’s an appreciation for the movements of the dancers – the way that  repeated, graceful actions by individuals combine to create a sense of a complete experience. A ritual. A span of time.

All That Jazz is the culmination of twenty years worth of editing innovations. The twin big bang of Breathless and [redacted], unleashed wave after wave of imaginative flourishes. And we can see nearly all of them represented in Bob Fosse and Alan Heim’s masterpiece. The movie stretches and compresses and manipulates time. It jumps between past and present. It shuffles from fantasy to realty and back. And it does it with a combination of speed and grace that remains unmatched. [redacted names]. These and many other innovators are the hot glue binding the cuts in All That Jazz.

In All That Jazz you’re everywhere at once. The movie is a biography, but it’s also a spiritual autopsy. Joe Gideon is taking stock in himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Movie Draft Judging

*** One word of caution - while we are almost done, movies can be moved to other categories.  You may need to adjust to that so you may choose to wait until we are officially done and all moves final - we will designate that once that happens.  You could also ask folks (maybe via PM) if they plan to move picks in your category in case you want/need to start immediately

First and foremost, thank you guys so much for doing this.  I know it's a labor of love with just our undying gratitude as payment, but we do appreciate it.

Judging is relatively simple although you can make the execution as complex as you'd like.  Each category contains 16 picks - your job, if you choose to accept it (which you did), is to rank them 1-16.  First place in a category gets 16 points, second gets 15, and so on.  We haven't placed a ton of restrictions or qualifications on the categories so feel free to judge as you see fit.

We would ask that you provide some level of rationale or maybe better stated - how you came up with your rankings.  Ideally, this would be a combination of your thoughts, plus maybe some other parameters of your choosing.  If you want to bounce your list off of someone or get input feel free to do so - whether that's someone in here or elsewhere.

Drafters that are judges - everything remains the same for you guys but please either have someone place/rank your movie or at a minimum have someone do a sanity check on it.  I say this as a judge - I plan to do that.  I don't think I will let it impact my judging but I'd rather just do it that way.  YMMV.

What you include in your judging and how you introduce it is solely up to you - our GB @BobbyLayne did extraordinary judging in the Sports draft with (sometimes) long writeups about each pick.  It's not necessary but was appreciated by all and caused some great discussion.

Timing - it looks like Monday could be the ***official*** start of judging but obviously you all probably have started or can start now.  It actually is more fun if we have a slower reveal across the categories but feel free to post your categories whenever you have them ready and want to reveal them.  As we wind down the judging I may ask one of two of us to either wait (or go ahead) if it looks like a drafter-judged category will determine the "winner".  We are all really winners here, except Tim who has picked poorly and got himself banned*.  I mean really - what kind of moron gets suspended in the middle of a draft??  

*Tim did chastise us early on to be more mean in here so I'm just doing what he asked

@Don Quixote @Mr. Mojo @Man of Constant Sorrow @Woz @KarmaPolice @TheWinz (and also your son) @Kumerica @rockaction @Todem @Mrs. Rannous @Bracie Smathers @Dr. Octopus @Yo Mama @wikkidpissah @mphtrilogy @Ilov80s @Nick Vermeil

You guys look that over and see if you disagree with anything or if I'm missing anything that should be pointed out.

I'd say for these categories, it's a pretty firm criteria that they are based on a book (even if loosely) and that they are real events (even if they are dramatized or adapted).
Well yeah, but I won't care how closely they hew to the source material or event.

Well yeah, but I won't care how closely they hew to the source material or event.
Absolutely - yours can be really straightforward - as long as it meets the criteria, how good was the movie.  You may decide that more important or bigger events hold more weight or better or more important books rank higher but I'm just tossing out ideas - you are the judge - ARBITRARY AND FINAL.

I'm willing to take any picks that folks want to leave with me - at this point all 3 of the picks we have left are the last pick (pending moves) so I shouldn't be sniping anybody's picks.

I have 4 picks left, and haven't narrowed any of them down to just one, but I do know the order in which I will make my selections.

50 - Modern director - Everyone else has already chosen both their legendary & modern ones, so I can't be sniped.
49 - Female legend - I am the only one left, but I guess someone can be moved from the acting categories (highly doubtful though).
48 - Action - So many types of action, I wanted to see where the bulk fell.  I am down to 4 actors though.
47 - 2010's - Narrowed down to about 3, and will be a decision made on the spot when it's my pick.

47.08 Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein - 1940s

Ok, in keeping with my stand on only taking movies I've seen and love, there was less than handful to start out with for this category and the rest are all gone. That's ok, because I absolutely have loved this movie since I was a kid and every Sunday they showed A&C movies. This was my favorite one since I also loved Monster Movies.

While of course this is a comedy (and extremely funny), it's also on par with the monster movies of the day and even has Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula and Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolfman - they did not have Boris playing Frankenstein however. The battle between Dracula and the Wolfman at the end has some great special effects for the day, and is so well done.

In 2001, the United States Library of Congress deemed this film "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry,[ and in September 2007, Reader's Digest selected the movie as one of the top 100 funniest films of all time. The film is number 56th on the list of the American Film Institute's "100 Funniest American Movies".

47.06: All That Jazz (1979), Musical Film

hUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUge value here. 5,6,7,8....

Movie Draft Judging

*** One word of caution - while we are almost done, movies can be moved to other categories.  You may need to adjust to that so you may choose to wait until we are officially done and all moves final - we will designate that once that happens.  You could also ask folks (maybe via PM) if they plan to move picks in your category in case you want/need to start immediately
i was already prepared to wait for the inevitability of Thelma Ritter being shifted to Modern Movie Star

In 2001, the United States Library of Congress deemed this film "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry,[ and in September 2007, Reader's Digest selected the movie as one of the top 100 funniest films of all time. The film is number 56th on the list of the American Film Institute's "100 Funniest American Movies".
I've noticed people saying their picks were in the National Film Registry, but didn't know what that meant.  Turns out, every year, starting in 1989, 25 movies get chosen for inclusion.  The registry currently sits at 775.  Check here for the complete list...

https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-film-preservation-board/film-registry/complete-national-film-registry-listing/

OMG!!!

I have to thank @Dr. Octopus for making me google this National Film Registry.  There are only 3 movies in the registry that were made in 1985.  And it's no coincidence that all 3 movies were taken in the first 10 rounds of this draft.

Pick 47.09 - Total Recall (1990) - Space (Category 26)

Another pick that shocks me hasn't been taken yet.  Arnold at his best, a hot Sharon Stone, mutants and a guy growing out of someone's stomach.  Plus is it real or in his mind or something in between.  Just a fun movie all the way around. 

Total Recall debuted at number one at the box office.  The film ultimately grossed $261,299,840 worldwide. It received an 82% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 68 reviews, with an average rating of 7.29/10. The site's critical consensus states "Under Paul Verhoeven's frenetic direction, Total Recall is a fast-paced rush of violence, gore, and humor that never slacks."  Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to F scale.

Roger Ebert awarded the film three and a half stars (out of four), calling it "one of the most complex and visually interesting science-fiction movies in a long time," and arguing Total Recall demonstrated Schwarzenegger's talent as an actor by his showing more confusion and vulnerability than earlier roles.  Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly gave it a score of "B+" and said that it "starts out as mind-bending futuristic satire and then turns relentless [and] becomes a violent, post-punk version of an Indiana Jones cliff-hanger." Film scholar William Buckland considers it one of the more "sublime" Philip K. **** adaptations, contrasting it with films like Impostor and Paycheck, which he considered "ridiculous".

Team GallStein with another winner late in the draft.

ETA:  Note that Ebert is scoring this well.  I want to be high on the @rockactionscale of scoring for all our picks!

Another pick that shocks me hasn't been taken yet.  Arnold at his best, a hot Sharon Stone, mutants and a guy growing out of someone's stomach.  Plus is it real or in his mind or something in between.  Just a fun movie all the way around. 

Total Recall debuted at number one at the box office.  The film ultimately grossed $261,299,840 worldwide. It received an 82% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 68 reviews, with an average rating of 7.29/10. The site's critical consensus states "Under Paul Verhoeven's frenetic direction, Total Recall is a fast-paced rush of violence, gore, and humor that never slacks."  Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A−" on an A+ to F scale.

Roger Ebert awarded the film three and a half stars (out of four), calling it "one of the most complex and visually interesting science-fiction movies in a long time," and arguing Total Recall demonstrated Schwarzenegger's talent as an actor by his showing more confusion and vulnerability than earlier roles.  Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly gave it a score of "B+" and said that it "starts out as mind-bending futuristic satire and then turns relentless [and] becomes a violent, post-punk version of an Indiana Jones cliff-hanger." Film scholar William Buckland considers it one of the more "sublime" Philip K. **** adaptations, contrasting it with films like Impostor and Paycheck, which he considered "ridiculous".

Team GallStein with another winner late in the draft.
nice, almost took it for Space, but edged Contact a bit ahead....

Roger Ebert awarded the film three and a half stars (out of four), calling it "one of the most complex and visually interesting science-fiction movies in a long time," and arguing Total Recall demonstrated Schwarzenegger's talent as an actor by his showing more confusion and vulnerability than earlier roles
Ebert is right about a lot of things. Fight Club and Total Recall are not among them.

47.10 - Space - Apollo 11

Like I said before, I am (or at least was, when we had one) a big fan of the space program. The footage they found is incredible - looks like it was shot yesterday.

In May 2017, cooperation between director Miller's production team, NASA, and the National Archives and Records Administration resulted in the discovery of unreleased 70 mm footage from the preparation, launch, mission control operations, recovery and post flight activities of Apollo 11. The film consists solely of archival footage, including 70 mm film previously unreleased to the public, and does not feature narration, interviews or modern recreations. The electronic music soundtrack was played entirely on instruments available in 1969.

The large-format footage includes scenes from Launch Complex 39, spectators present for the launch, the launch of the Saturn V rocket, the recovery of astronauts Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, and Michael Collins and the Apollo 11 command module Columbia, and post-mission efforts aboard the USS Hornet. The documentary included this footage alongside conventional footage from 35 and 16 mm film, still photography, and closed-circuit television footage.

Miller's team used the facilities of Final Frame, a post-production firm in New York City, to make high-resolution digital scans of all reels depicting ground based activities that were available in the National Archives. Specialized climate-controlled vans were used to safely transport the archival material to and from College Park, Maryland. The production team sourced over 11,000 hours of audio recordings and hundreds of hours of video.

In a positive review for IndieWire, David Ehrlich complimented Miller's ability to make the Moon landing sequence feel unique and thrilling, and stated that the clarity of the footage "takes your breath away". In another positive review, Owen Gleiberman of Variety called the footage "quite spectacular". Glenn Kenny of The New York Times called the film "entirely awe-inspiring" and wrote, "Although we know how the mission turns out, the movie generates and maintains suspense. And it rekindles a crazy sense of wonder at, among other things, what one can do practically with trigonometry." Matt Zoller Seitz of RogerEbert.com gave the film four-out-of-four stars, calling the film "an adrenaline shot of wonder and skill.... Films this completely imagined and ecstatically realized are so rare that when one comes along, it makes most other movies, even the good ones, seem underachieving. Any information that you happen to absorb while viewing Apollo 11 is secondary to the visceral experience of looking at it and listening to it."

During the shots of the crowds waiting to view the launch, science fiction author Isaac Asimov can be seen being interviewed. Johnny Carson and LBJ are also seen.
On one occasion a journalist asked Neil Amstrong what he had to say to those who deny that he was there, and replied that he was not worried: "They will return there and find the remains."

Anatomy of a Scene

I think a movie where they literally went to space should score highly in the Space category. 

@Ilov80s

We ride together, we die together. Bad boys for life.

47.11 Modern Star: Will Smith

One of the all time kings of the summer blockbuster. He didn't just release huge movies, he made the hit songs for them too and was all over MTV and the radio. A Will Smith movie was all about Will Smith. He could handle comedy and action, appealed to audiences of all ages, genders and races. Add to that he has a famous wife, famous kids and one of the largest social media presences. He has everything you are looking for in a movie star of the 90s, aughts and modern day.  

He is the only actor to have eight consecutive films gross over $100 million in the domestic box office, eleven consecutive films gross over $150 million internationally, and eight consecutive films in which he starred open at the number one spot in the domestic box office tally.[6]

Smith has been ranked as the most bankable star worldwide by Forbes.[7] As of 2014, 17 of the 21 films in which he has had leading roles have accumulated worldwide gross earnings of over $100 million each, with five taking in over $500 million each in global box office receipts. As of 2016, his films have grossed $7.5 billion at the global box office.
And for those that think he's no longer a big star, Aladdin made a billion dollars and he's once again believed to be the highest paid actor in Hollywood. 

Bad Boys for Life was theatrically released in the United States on January 17, 2020, by Sony Pictures Releasing through Columbia Pictures. The film received generally positive reviews[8] and grossed $419 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing film of 2020. It is also the highest-grossing installment of the series and the biggest January release of all-time.

Users who are viewing this thread