What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (2 Viewers)

Here's my current draft:

2010s: The Social Network - never seen it, but think it's about the Facebook guy?

You would like this one, see it.

1970s: Network - never seen it, no idea what it's about

My not be your cup of tea.

1960s: The Apartment - never seen it; I have heard of Joe's Apartment though

Some dated cultural references and in B&W but you have to see this one.

All time: Sunset Boulevard - never seen it, sounds like an old movie by the title

Work your way up to this one in time.  You probably aren't ready for it right now.

Space: 2001 A Space Odyssey - never seen it, must be sci-fi

You're definitely not ready for this one yet.  

Historical drama: Amadeus - never seen it, but I'm sure it's the life of Mozart

See it now.  You will like it more than you might think.

Kids: Wizard of Oz - it's a kid's horror movie, I have seen it a few times

Fantasy: It's a Wonderful Life - never seen it, but isn't this the one like Mr Destiny, starring James Belushi?

Schtick should be funny.  If its not schtich then this is a sad confession.

Sequel: Godfather 2 - never seen it, know it's a mobster flick

If you saw GF-1 and liked it then what are you waiting for?

Supporting Actor: John Cazale - no idea who this guy is

Did you see GF-1?  

Legendary Director: John Ford - nope, no clue

Ever see a John Wayne movie?

Modern Director: Coen Brothers - see above

Again, schtick should be funny.  

Actress: Ingrid Bergman - name rings a bell as an old actress

I'm assuming you like women.  If you want to fall in love with one of the most beautiful women that ever graced a screen then...  I won't spotlight but don't watch Ingrid the first time on a small screen.  Wait till one of her movies is playing on a big screen somewhere.  Its an experience that you won't forget.

Legendary Movie Star: Audrey Hepbrun - same as above

Beauty more than skin deep.  Humanitarian, class, grace....I 

I have seen my choices.  Maybe not the whole movie, but enough to make a decision.  I have done tons of googling and have watched many snippets since the draft began.  I kinda feel like the guy who knows nothing about cars, but is willing to do major engine repair by watching YouTube videos.
You are doing well for what you know.

14.15 - The Thin Blue Line - Documentary

Essentially creating the true crime documentary genre, this investigative look is credited in influencing an eventual arrest.
Great call, and I will go back to back Line movies and take another that Mrs. R and EY are sure to hate:

14.16:  THE THIN RED LINE - WW2 movie

I have to stay on brand here, and I have been looking at and thinking about my bluray collection.  Pretty sure this was one of the first I got on Criterion.   It's an interesting to compare this to the other WW2 movie that came out in the same year that went a long time ago.   It's Malick, so it's beautifully shot and you are getting a meditation on war and human nature.   I swear I watch other types of movies, but it seems like my draft is shaping up to be movies that have been growing on me over the years and reward rewatches and dissection.  This one definitely fits that description for me. 

Missed a lot of good conversation last night.

Since some others posted where they are, he's triplemania's draft so far.  I love our list - maybe a little heavy on older films but I think that's the case for most of us.  Any of these picks that are questionable are probably mine and not Hags.  We are trying to mix movies we love but that are also highly rated - I think we've balanced it well.  The only film on the list that I wouldn't enthusiastically endorse would be Clockwork Orange but that may end up one of our better picks for where we took it.  Questionable pick may turn out to be City Lights if we get dinged by it being a silent film.

1 - The Godfather - GOAT

2 - Spirited Away - Animation

3 - Star Wars - Score

4 - Seven Samurai - Foreign

5 - Vertigo - Suspense

6 - Dr. Strangelove - Comedy

7 - The Maltese Falcon - 40s

8 - No Country For Old Men - 2000s

9 - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Western

10 - Clockwork Orange - Sci-Fi

11 - The Bridge on the River Kwai - War

12 - City Lights - Romantic Comedy

13 - Indiana Jones - Hero

14 - The Thin Blue Line - Documentary

Oh, #### it.  I will also stay on brand and go with the obvious pick for this category for me, and since I already lost out on TWWB and Boogie Nights, I might as well grab the guy behind the camera:

15.01:  PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON - modern director.  

Yes, I get he is polarizing, but I don't think anybody is denying the talent is there.  Still young, but for my money (and I am guessing critics as well if you glanced at "best of" lists) he made one of the best movies of the 90s, arguably the best of the 00s, and what are regarded as 2 of the best of the 10s.   I love his warped take on family and relationships in his movies, the movies are amazingly shot, and he gets great performances out of everybody.   Also bonus points for writing his movies too... 

ETA:  sort of like Kubrick - the batting average is way up there, and a lot is to do with him being slow with what he does/writes his movies.   

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s just very much what I would expect you to take. Fits your style perfectly. Also, The Thin Red Line was part of my first ever Criterion purchase. The director who I will not name might be the best Criterion movies to get, his movies are just so gorgeous.

Oh, #### it.  I will also stay on brand and go with the obvious pick for this category for me, and since I already lost out on TWWB and Boogie Nights, I might as well grab the guy behind the camera:

Yes, I get he is polarizing, but I don't think anybody is denying the talent is there.  Still young, but for my money (and I am guessing critics as well if you glanced at "best of" lists) he made one of the best movies of the 90s, arguably the best of the 00s, and what are regarded as 2 of the best of the 10s.   I love his warped take on family and relationships in his movies, the movies are amazingly shot, and he gets great performances out of everybody.   Also bonus points for writing his movies too... 

ETA:  sort of like Kubrick - the batting average is way up there, and a lot is to do with him being slow with what he does/writes his movies.   
Your avatar agrees.

I checked and The Thin Red Line is not on any streaming services.   Looks like most of PTA's movies you can see on NF or HBO Max.   Boogie Nights is the notable one that is not on streaming.  

He is not even close to Kubrick.

This draft may have just jumped the shark.

Just a small write up for these.  M is creepy as hell despite being made 90 years ago.  I bring this up because while I dabble in pre-40s movies, I don't watch a ton, and a lot of them I have trouble rolling with it and not thinking about how old they are - ie something like Kong (good pick and was on my list).  I watch them, but it's more of a historical curiosity than it is full on loving them and getting into them.  M is one that isn't that and still pull me in.  

I don't like musicals, but Once isn't the standard "break into song and dance for no reason" musicals.  Just a great, sweet story that organically blend the songs they are singing into the movie.  Love it, and thought I should just get that category over with (with an appreciated reminder).  

For those playing along - M is available on HBO Max/Kanopy/Criterion Channel, and it looks like Once is only a rental option.  
Once is one of my all time favorite movies. Glen Hansard is such an amazing singer songwriter. Nice pick 

He is not even close to Kubrick.

This draft has now jumped the shark.
Batting average wise, at least according to me and most critics.   

ETA:   at least so far he hasn't jumped into the big blockbusters that a lot of directors do that leads to bad batting averages later in their careers - I'm looking at you, Spielberg!! 

15.2 - Jennifer Lawrence - Modern Movie Star (Woman)

I could only hold back AAA so long on his Indiana Jones crush, and now the tables have turned.

She absolutely owned the screen in the 2010s across multiple top grossing franchises and won an Oscar to boot! Still young, I hope she makes a lot more films in the future. 🥰

I could only hold back AAA so long on his Indiana Jones crush, and now the tables have turned.

She absolutely owned the screen in the 2010s across multiple top grossing franchises and won an Oscar to boot! Still young, I hope she makes a lot more films in the future. 🥰
Hotter and better actress than Roberts!

I think Julia Roberts runs away with that category honestly, but there aren't any bonus points for margin of victory. We're trying to secure as many points as possible and I see J-Law as a surefire top 5, and #2 in my books.

Edit: uhhhhhhh I mean Julia sucks eggs and she should be worth 4 points tops

Here's my current draft:

2010s: The Social Network

1970s: Network 

1960s: The Apartment 

All time: Sunset Boulevard

Space: 2001 A Space Odyssey 

Historical drama: Amadeus 

Kids: Wizard of Oz

Fantasy: It's a Wonderful Life 

Sequel: Godfather 2 

Supporting Actor: John Cazale

Legendary Director: John Ford

Modern Director: Coen Brothers

Actress: Ingrid Bergman 

Legendary Movie Star: Audrey Hepbrun 
way too much respect for cinema to have any chance in the judging. if there's a Bay/Stallone or tortured superhero or DeCaprio Oscar-bait picture out there, grab that and nudge your all-timer with the old-people smell to the 50s where it belongs

15.04 — Paul Newman, Legendary “It” guy.

Paul Leonard Newman was an American actor, film director, producer, race car driver, IndyCar owner, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. He was the recipient of numerous awards, including an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a Primetime Emmy Award.

Newman's major film roles include The Hustler (1961), Hud (1963), Harper (1966), Cool Hand Luke (1967), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972), and leading roles in The Sting (1973), The Towering Inferno (1974), Slap Shot (1977), The Verdict (1982), and voice role of Doc Hudson in the first installment of Disney-Pixar's Cars as his final acting performance, with voice recordings being used again in Cars 3 (2017). A ten-time Oscar nominee, Newman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for The Color of Money (1986). He also received the Academy Honorary Award, and Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

Newman won several national championships as a driver in Sports Car Club of America road racing, and his race teams won several championships in open-wheel Indy Car racing. He was a co-founder of Newman's Own, a food company from which he donated all post-tax profits and royalties to charity.[2] As of November 2018, these donations have totaled over US$535 million. He was a co-founder of Safe Water Network, a nonprofit that develops sustainable drinking water solutions for those in need.

In 1988, Newman founded the Serious Fun Children's Network, a global family of summer camps and programs for children with serious illness which has served 290,076 children since its inception. In 2006, Paul Newman also co-founded Safe Water Network with John Whitehead, former chairman of Goldman Sachs, and Josh Weston, former chairman of ADP, to improve access to safe water to underserved communities around the world. He was the husband of Oscar winning actress Joanne Woodward.

Can act? Check

Was in great movies? Check

Won awards for those roles? Check

Was in the public eye outside of acting/film? Check

Social causes? Check

Dated/married to other famous women? Check

Voted sexiest man alive? Check

Batting average wise, at least according to me and most critics.   

ETA:   at least so far he hasn't jumped into the big blockbusters that a lot of directors do that leads to bad batting averages later in their careers - I'm looking at you, Spielberg!! 
No, PTA has just kept making the same exact type of film throughout (Boogie Nights is the exception). 

Depressing characters and situations, bad music that doesn't fit, and overlong, dragged out films that suck out any positive or happy feelings.

He is just as predictable a director as Michael Bay, except that he gets better performances from the cast.

next to Gravity in 3D, the best experience i've had in a movie theater in the last decade was watching JLaw gain & own my attention in Winter's Bone. there's no way someone that age would think to campaign for recognition in a low-budget, back-country meth move, so it was just her puzzling out what would get her character & her people thru. Ingrid Bergman is the only actress i can think of who generates as much of her own light. and then she just nailed all the speeds of woman in Silver Linings Playbook. She's made her dough, got her props and had her fun now, so i hope she gets serious again (work w Greta Gerwig, maybe?) because both sexes are needing to see more archetypal portrayals of complicated & conflicted women gettin' it done. Lawrence has the charm to do that in the way Nicholson did for the antihero in the 70s & 80s.

I did, but I expect you've seen my comments in the other draft by now.  I may ask for you as guest judge on that one movie.  I did that with Mr R on the paintings category with the Mona Lisa, and it worked well.
Greetings from a boat!  I’d be happy to guest judge for one movie.  And maybe to place yours, too?

OK. I have been thinkin a bit on how to be objective.

So, I asked myself, "What do good movies do?"

So far, I have: "They touch and move us."

They touch and move us:

• physically (e.g. light waves/sound waves/neural excitation/adrenaline/goosebumps/hair standing/gut wrenching/sensual shivers/pounding heart/pissing laughter/salty tears) 
  • emotionally (love/hate/joy/horror/empathy/compassion/pain/rage/fear/desire/dispair/grief/glory/jubilation/bliss)
  • intellectually (think/question/dream/aspire/confound/learn/surprise/expand/shock) 
  • artistically (argue with god/commune with beauty/writhe in hell/skydive thru space/dance with glee/sing triumphant/find the grail/uplift to heaven) ....
  • individually (entertainment/understanding/growth/escape/relaxation/thrill/fantasy/release/comfort/challenge) 
  • socially (bonding/rebelling/ethics/morals/zeitgeist/pop culture/counter culture/community/market)
  • etc.
Note: a good movie can't satisfy all of the above. Rather, those are things that can be a factor; some more important than others (especially in the Genre & specialty categories). Plus, I'm missing lots, I'm sure. (I'll take suggestions.)

And the good movies can do these things in many different ways; potentially impacting & affecting viewers differently. This includes the typical technical and craft aspects of the process. I do value this part, but I view it as a means to achieve the touch & move I note above. Thus, I don't necessary value any particular "style", "type" or "method" over the others. As long as it "works" to achieve what makes it great, I'm good.

Now, how does one weigh all that ... objectively?

I think the answer must lie within and across the field of contenders as much as myself, as a judge.

So, tell me. How do y'all weigh movies? 

The more perspectives I get, the more objective I can be.
here's how you judge a movie:

1) did it take you anywhere?

2) how rare was the air where it took you?

3) did it bring you home and/or give you a choice to stay?

nufced

Greetings from a boat!  I’d be happy to guest judge for one movie.  And maybe to place yours, too?
I added you to Foreign and have you as Primary and Mrs. R as backup on Docs.  I'm fine with Mrs. R being primary on Docs if the group is ok with it.  Or you guys can tag team  :popcorn:

:whistle:    sorry, that was naughty of me

No, PTA has just kept making the same exact type of film throughout (Boogie Nights is the exception). 

Depressing characters and situations, bad music that doesn't fit, and overlong, dragged out films that suck out any positive or happy feelings.

He is just as predictable a director as Michael Bay, except that he gets better performances from the cast.
Well, I hope you aren't judging then. 

Users who are viewing this thread