What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How 'bout them Reds! (2 Viewers)

Looking it over made me remember the "Nasty Boys" duo of Dibble and Randy Myers. Nice.
Come on man.... no nasty boys references without including Norm Charlton. Who doesn't still have the shirt with all three staring you down. On a more important note, schedule only gets easier from here for the Reds. 21 of the next 35 games against montreal, cleveland, mets, and pirates.
D'OH!I actually had that shirt too. :JoeT:

I remember loving the Reds back in the day of Hal Morris, Paul O'Neil, Eric Davis, Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo, not to mention Tom Browning, and who can forget Rob Dibble? GB sweeping the A's in 1990. :thumbup:
Does anyone remember Glenn Brags snapping a bat over his shoulder? Might have been in the NLCS, but he swung and missed and when the bat hit his shoulder it snapped in two. Very cool...well except for the missing part.Oh yeah, and Paul O'Neill nailing a runner at third from RF in the NLCS.Dibble, Charlton, and Myers were about the goofiest trio out there. Pro sports needs more characters like that.
Glenn had a good couple of years there.I remember Sabo rounding the bases to finish off the series, too. :excited:

On a more important note, schedule only gets easier from here for the Reds. 21 of the next 35 games against montreal, cleveland, mets, and pirates.
careful what you wish for. Pirates and Mets playing good baseball right now.

Come on man.... no nasty boys references without including Norm Charlton. Who doesn't still have the shirt with all three staring you down.
Best shirt in the history of the sport.

2 straight L's for the Little Red machine.

You guys didn't really think this was going to last, did you?
Standings at the end of the night, May 29:GB

Cincinnati 29-22 Going for another sweep tomorrow

Houston 26-22 2(Games behind)

St. Louis 26-22 2

Milwaukie 25-22 3

Chicago 25-23 3.5 Lost 5 in a row

Pittsburgh 23-22 4

Save those pennies Tommy ;)

-fe

I'm a complete REDS HOMER, but the Reds are far from a sure thing this season. When looking at them at first glance you have to notice that they own a record of 29-20, 9 games over .500. However, when you look at their run differential, the Reds have outscored their opponents by only 1 run. Using Bill James' Pythagorean equation to predict winning percentage based on runs scored and runs allowed, the Reds should be a .500 team. So if they were playing at that level, it would mean that the reds should be about 25-24, so essentially the Reds are playing in 4 games of luck.

Looking at this from all the teams in Major League Baseball, only the Minnesota Twins are playing that far ahead of their run differential. The Pythagorean equation is a extremely accurate measure, so the Reds are essentially a .500 team playing at a higher level than they should be.

Does that mean that can't sustain it? No it doesn't. The Reds got off to a pretty bad start and now they are righting the ship. One thing to look at is the players however. If we take them one by one we get:

SS-BARRY LARKIN

Right now Larkin is hitting .292/.339/.398. That isn't exactly all that great to begin with, but the Reds are a little lackluster with their shortstops so we'll take what we can get from Barry. However, in Barry's previous 4 seasons, he's averaged about 90 games a season, so if the trend continues the Reds will be looking for a shorstop replacement very soon. Heck, Barry already has 171 AB and last season he only had 241 the entire season. Nevertheless, Barry's 737 OPS is doing more harm for Cincy than good.

2B-D'ANGELO JIMINEZ

Jiminez is better than his current .222/.335/.330. He's a career .269/.346/.383 guy and he's notoriously a 2nd half player. Even if Jiminez can just get back to his career numbers, it would help the Reds offense out even more than what it is doing. Jiminez currently is a hole in the lineup, but that lineup is still winning games, and the good part is that the only thing Jiminez can do is get better. I hate seeing him playing this poorly, but I'm sure better things are on the way.

1B-SEAN CASEY

Casey is hitting a ridiculous .390/.432/.621! I think there are a couple of points to remember about Casey. It looked like Casey peaked in his career from the ages of 24-26, when most players start hitting their peaks at age 27 or 28. Casey this season is 29 years old, which would mean he's in the middle of what normally would be called his peak years. When Sean Casey was 24 years old he had a season in which he hit .332/.399/.539. That is what had us REDS fans so excited because it should have been an indicator of how special a bat this kid had. Then Casey turned 27 and went all to garbage. His 28-year old season didn't help matters much. However, this season he's hitting the ball like he's never had and I'm sure batting in front of a healthy troika of Dunn/Griffey/Kearns isn't hurting the matter especially when you see how well Griffey and Dunn have been hitting. So the big question is can Casey keep up this pace. The simple answer is that I don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hades to keep up this pace, but if he turns in a year like he did when he hit .332/.399/.539, the Reds Faithful will be dancing in the streets! I know I would. Casey has the talent without question and now he has the bats behind him. His pace will slow, but Casey is a legitimate threat to hit .360 if the outfielders stay healthy and he himself stays healthy. The Mayor might be running for governor after 2004!

3B-RYAN FREEL/BRANDON LARSON/JUAN CASTRO

Freel is hitting .255/.341/.369, which is absolutley awful for a guy playing a corner infield position. Larson on the other hand has been been injured for pretty much the entire year. The book on Larson is that the guy has light-tower power but has never put it much to use because he can't find the ball with the bat in the big leagues. I think the Reds are just finished at this position. The threesome they are going to have this year might end up with the worst stats for a 3B of any team in baseball. This position is just lost and we have to hope that the hot start Mark Schramek is having down in the minors is for real or that Joey Votto plays 3B instead of 1B.

C-JASON LaRUE

In a word, LaRue has been horrible this season. The kid is hitting .198/.324/.291 and his backup, Javier Valentin, is even worse. LaRue is a lifetime .236/.315/.410 hitter, so this position, like 2B, could actually see some decent improvement for the Reds offense. However, I am of the opinion that catcher, like third base, is a lost position for Cincy. LaRue is horrible and he's 30 years old this year which is the wrong age to be for catchers not named Mike Piazza. The Reds are hurting here because this position gives them definitely 3 holes in the lineup when you count Ryan Freel and the pitcher. The Reds need Miguel Perez in a HURRY!

LF-ADAM DUNN

Some people might say that Dunn hitting .253/.440/.527 is over his head, but I'm thinking that it isn't. Dunn had an awful year last season, but that was one season and Dunn is here to stay. If he stays at .250/.440/.560 all season long, he'll be what Jason Giambi is now, except for more power. If Dunn can stay healthy, 40HR seasons should be his for the next decade. Could he stand to strikeout a little bit less? Sure, but Giambi is the same way. Dunn will never hit .300 but as long as he keeps posting OPS in the mid .900s, occassionaly popping over 1.000, he'll probably have a Hall-of-Fame career. Of course, staying healthy is the big question mark with Dunn. So far so good in 2004.

CF-KEN GRIFFEY JR.

Griffey is hitting .247/.347/.529. The weird thing about Griffey is that he hasn't lost any power and he's showing his usual plate discipline. So the only thing that has really hurt Griffey in his stat line is his ability hit the baseball. It hasn't shown that much, but is has shown up in 2002, 2003, and now 2004. Griffey is a career .294 hitter. Right now Griffey has a 100 point difference between his OBP% and his batting average. If he can just hit .280 then his OBP% is likely to be about .380 and if his slugging goes up to .550 then we are talking about a guy resembling the Griffey that was once considered the best player in baseball instead of the injury ridden Griffey we've seen in Cincinnati for the majority of the time. As crazy as it sounds, if Griffey stays, healthy, the Reds offense is going to get stronger and stronger.

RF-AUSTIN KEARNS

Kearns is the best player on the team by a wide margin in my opinion. He hasn't been able to stay healthy but once he does it's sky's the limit. Think Adam Dunn with a .320 batting average.

So the Reds offense can conceivably get better as the season progresses assuming everyone stays healthy. When you are counting on guys like Dunn/Griffey/Larkin/Kearns to stay healthy though, that is a pretty big assumption and I'm still convinced that Griffey and Larkin will miss some time due to injuries. The problem with that is that the Reds just don't have the bats to replace them. If Larkin goes down you are putting either Jiminez at SS and moving Castro to 2B which would give you an infield of Freel/Jiminez/Castro/Casey! Let's not even discuss the prospects of Ray Olmeda playing SS.

If the Reds are healthy though I think the quartet of Kearns/Dunn/Casey/Griffey are the best in the NL Central. Maybe the NL as a whole.

What I haven't mentioned is the pitching. Looking at the Reds starting rotation you have:

Paul Wilson 7-0; 3.34ERA; 1.28WHIP

Jose Acevedo 2-3; 4.53ERA; 1.21WHIP

Cory Lidle 4-4; 4.73ERA; 1.18WHIP

Aaron Harang 4-2; 5.27ERA; 1.66WHIP

Todd Van Poppel 2-2; 3.63ERA; 1.15WHIP (most stats as reliever)

The WHIPS are good, but the ERAs high which leads to what? HOME RUNS! The Reds pitchers are homer happy and that is never a good thing. I suppose they can get by with giving up solo shots, but they put a couple of men on then they are starting to give up 3 and 4 runs in a hurry.

Danny Graves is a very very scary closer. Just look what he did last week against Houston when he came in with a 7-4 lead! If that was anybody other than Graves I would have felt great, but with Graves, I was on the edge of my seat hoping disaster wouldn't strike.

What it all boils down to is that I just can't imagine the Reds competing this year. I love the fact that we are 29-20 and are tied with Florida with the best record in the NL, but when it comes down to it the Reds have an offense with 4 guys that can hit (assuming they all stay healthy which is a big assumption) and 5 guys that are pretty much useless in LaRue/Freel/Jiminez/Larkin/Pitcher's Spot.

Acevedo and Wilson might be fairly decent, but those guys are at their very best #3 starters. Houston brings 2 #1 starters in Clemens/Oswalt and Pettitte and Miller are #2 starters. When you listen to what scouts say, Tim Redding has potentially the best stuff of the entire Houston staff with is downright FILTHY!

The Cubs have potentially 5 #1 starters when maddux is on, and even if he isn't Maddux is the worst starter on the staff. can you imagine a staff in which Maddux is the worst? It's nuts. Plus the Cubs are decimated by injuries.

The thing with the NL Central is that it is looking right now to be the toughest division in baseball because for whatever reason the Pirates and Brewers just don't want to lay down.

The sad thing as a REDS fan in my opinion is that management just didn't think the Reds could compete at all this year. Why couldn't the Reds have made bids on guys like Andy Pettitte, Greg Maddux, Bartolo Colon, Kelvim Escobar, Miguel Batista or Ted Lilly this past free agent season?

Say the Reds were able to open up the books to both Colon and Maddux then you'd be looking at a rotation of Colon-Maddux-Wilson-Acevedo-Lidle. If Claussen comes up then bonus for the Reds.

I hate to say it, but the Reds are a team on the verge of disaster. I'm not saying they will or won't but it would be easy to see them slip to 4th, 5th, or 6th by the end of the season.

Yeah, excellent look from a homer, SJ.The Reds can hit with anyone (cept the Yanks) when they're healthy, but if Wilson wins 20 I'll eat my hat. The starters will slowly come back to the mean, and the hole at 3rd will hurt. Larson can't brush his teeth w/o getting hurt, and he looks like another Phil Plantier when he gets 50 ABs.Bring back Ron Oester.

TommyGunz-muhahaha! Oester played 2B, but at this point, I'd also rather have him at 3B than any of the mullets the Reds have right now. You are right about the pitching and that is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Cincy finish in the bottom 3 of the NL Central. Like I say, looking at Cincy's top 4 bats in Casey/Dunn/Griffey/Kearns, it would seem that if you just gave them league average pitching, they probably could have competed in the NL Central, but management seemed to think that it wasn't likely to happen so we got stuck with the pitching we have now. Wilson and Acevedo look good, but they are #3 starters at best playing in a division full of #1 starters. The Reds are devoid of top starters in their minor league system so they need one badly.

Great analysis, Stonewall.The obvious question is - if the Reds are still near the top at the all-star break, do they deal for a real #1 pitcher? Will one good pitcher even make a big difference judging by the mediocrity of the rest?

Great analysis, Stonewall.The obvious question is - if the Reds are still near the top at the all-star break, do they deal for a real #1 pitcher? Will one good pitcher even make a big difference judging by the mediocrity of the rest?
Shining Path-I don't think the Reds can deal for a #1 starting pitcher. They just don't have anybody to deal for. #1 starting pitchers are the most sought after commodity in baseball and who can the Reds ideally give up? They are barren in the minor league system so they are pretty much stuck with what they have. Maybe Joey Votto or Miguel Perez is worth something. Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns I'm sure could bring back something, but those 2 are going to probably be the two reasons why the Reds, if they do achieve anything, are doing what they are doing. The Reds tried to deal Adam Dunn to LA for Edwin Jackson in the off-season and LA wouldn't touch it. The Reds are what they are baby! They'd have to pull off the improbable.

The Reds lost today and Griffey went 0-3.I am still a life long Reds fan. That is all.
Update. Griffey goes 2-5 including game winning 3-run bomb today. I am still a life long Reds fan. Yes, i will bump it again later this year. Perhaps a week, month, etc after a win or a loss. Either one is fine with me. New message board standards seem to be that you must continuously declare your loyalties if they are to count for anything.

The Reds lost today and Griffey went 0-3.I am still a life long Reds fan. That is all.
Update. Griffey goes 2-5 including game winning 3-run bomb today. I am still a life long Reds fan. Yes, i will bump it again later this year. Perhaps a week, month, etc after a win or a loss. Either one is fine with me. New message board standards seem to be that you must continuously declare your loyalties if they are to count for anything.
I love the Cowboys, Rangers and Mavericks.Just trying to keep up.

I love the Cowboys, Rangers and Mavericks.Just trying to keep up.
Poser. You didn't post anything confirming this in the past 24 hours.Bandwagon fans... :rolleyes:Edit: Forgot to mention that I think the Seahawks will have a legitimate shot this season if they can stop the run. Might need to address that MLB position.Also, I think taxes are both good and bad, Iraq war is bad, and the designator hitter is sort of a joke (even though Edgar Martinez is a local hero).

Last edited by a moderator:
Team W L PCT. GB

Reds 30 21 .588 - Best Record in the NL :thumbup:

Cubs 27 23 .540 2.5

Astros 27 23 .540 2.5

Cardinals 27 23 .540 2.5

Brewers 25 24 .510 4.0

Pirates 23 24 .489 5.0

-fe

Reds still 2.5 up on this week's pretender (St. Louis).HR's:Griffey 14Bonds 14DIALED IN!!!

Central W L Pct GB

Cincinnati 32 21 .604 --

Houston 29 23 .558 2.5

St. Louis 28 23 .549 3.0

Milwaukee 26 24 .520 4.5

Chi Cubs 27 25 .519 4.5

Pittsburgh 23 25 .479 6.5

Things to note:

-Reds just swept the defending world champs, in Florida, who also happen to be in first place.

- The Reds have won 11 in-a-row against other teams that are in 1st place in their division.

-Casey now batting .391 w/10 HR's, Jr. has 14 HR's, and Big Donkey has 14 HR's as well.

How's the crow taste fellas? ;)

-fe

Best record in the NL.....woooo hoooo!! Third best in baseball!!!!!Looks like the naysayers are missing the boat.

Those Cardinals have actually developed a decent starting staff. Their coach (duncan) has done a great job - resurrecting Carpenter and Marquis' careers. Cardinals lead the league in quality starts.Tough division

Picking up Danny Graves back on April 12th ;)   ;)
Not sold on this guy. Despite the 20 saves, as a Reds fan he scares the #### out of me.
Unbeliveable. The guy has 31 save opps in 54 games. He's leading the ML in saves by a mile, but staistically he's not even close to being an elite closer. Even though he'll probably get an All Star spot, he's not worthy of it IMO.

Walking Griffey was the right thing to do," Cordero said. "Ihad to go after Dunn. I made a mistake and he made me pay for it. It was a fastball up and in and I didn't get it in enough.
Hey! Hold on a second. Weren't teams walking Casey to get to Griffey? Now they're walking Griffey to get to Dunn. Will somebody now walk Dunn to get to Larson? Perhaps just walk the bases loaded if Casey happens to lead off?PS I'm still a Reds fan even though they lost on Sunday.

Picking up Danny Graves back on April 12th :suds:   :thumbup:
Not sold on this guy. Despite the 20 saves, as a Reds fan he scares the #### out of me.
Unbeliveable. The guy has 31 save opps in 54 games. He's leading the ML in saves by a mile, but staistically he's not even close to being an elite closer. Even though he'll probably get an All Star spot, he's not worthy of it IMO.
So despite your use of "unbeliveable" you are saying you agree.

Picking up Danny Graves back on April 12th :thumbup:   :thumbup:
I saw Harold Reynolds on the hot seat earlier this week - they asked him who his first half cy young was and he said "Danny Graves" - I almost spit out my drink. :suds:

PS I'm still a Reds fan even though they lost on Sunday.
You sure about that, chief?
Perhaps he was expecting the worst?Tough series in Oakland this week - Cincy will see at least one lefty with Mulder going tomorrow against Lidle. This is actually a game on the package I'm going ot have to check out. Doubtful ESPN2 is showing it.

- The Reds have won 11 in-a-row against other teams that are in 1st place in their division.
Here is another peice of Red's Trivia. They hold the longest current winning streak of World Series games at nine. The last World Series game they lost was game 6 of the 1975 series with the Red Sox, where Carlton Fisk hit the extra inning homer. The Reds won game 7, swept their next appearence in the series in 1976 versus the Yankees, then swept their next appearence in the series in 1990 versus the A's. That's nine wins in a row.

Perhaps he was expecting the worst?Tough series in Oakland this week - Cincy will see at least one lefty with Mulder going tomorrow against Lidle. This is actually a game on the package I'm going ot have to check out. Doubtful ESPN2 is showing it.
Jr.'s sitting on #498...they just might show it...either way, GB EI on DTV :suds: Oh, and here ya go:

CENTRAL W L PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST AL L10 STRK

Cincinnati 34 22 .607 - 18-10 16-12 11-6 16-11 7-5 0-0 7-3 W2

St. Louis 32 24 .571 2.0 13-15 19-9 10-8 17-15 5-1 0-0 8-2 L1

Houston 30 25 .545 3.5 15-13 15-12 6-6 21-16 3-3 0-0 5-5 W1

Chicago 29 26 .527 4.5 16-12 13-14 5-1 15-16 9-9 0-0 4-6 W2

Milwaukee 27 27 .500 6.0 14-12 13-15 8-4 11-13 8-10 0-0 4-6 L2

Pittsburgh 24 29 .453 8.5 9-18 15-11 5-1 13-22 6-6 0-0 3-7 L2

Jr.'s sitting on #498...they just might show it...either way, GB EI on DTV :suds: Oh, and here ya go:

CENTRAL W L PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST AL L10 STRK

Cincinnati 34 22 .607 - 18-10 16-12 11-6 16-11 7-5 0-0 7-3 W2

St. Louis 32 24 .571 2.0 13-15 19-9 10-8 17-15 5-1 0-0 8-2 L1

Houston 30 25 .545 3.5 15-13 15-12 6-6 21-16 3-3 0-0 5-5 W1

Chicago 29 26 .527 4.5 16-12 13-14 5-1 15-16 9-9 0-0 4-6 W2

Milwaukee 27 27 .500 6.0 14-12 13-15 8-4 11-13 8-10 0-0 4-6 L2

Pittsburgh 24 29 .453 8.5 9-18 15-11 5-1 13-22 6-6 0-0 3-7 L2
I'll include run differential as a possible indicator as to where this race might be going:Houston: +56

Chicago: +44

St.Louis: +42

Cincinnati: +4 :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'll include run differential as a possible indicator as to where this race might be going:Houston: +56Chicago: +44St.Louis: +42Cincinnati: +4 :thumbup: :suds:
Don't forget that Jimmy Haynes had his ### booted from the team. If you remove the games he started from your stats the Reds are +19. Not to mention they would be 15 games above .500 instead of just 12. The only reason he was starting is because he had a three million dollar salary they were going to have to eat unless they could trade him, and the only way they could have traded him is if he was starting and pitching somewhat decently... He failed.

One would logically interpret it to mean that it's unbelievable that the guy has this many opportunities at this point of the season. Clearly, he hasn't performed at the level of an elite closer. I didn't think it needed clarification, but yes, I am agreeing.

One would logically interpret it to mean that it's unbelievable that the guy has this many opportunities at this point of the season. Clearly, he hasn't performed at the level of an elite closer. I didn't think it needed clarification, but yes, I am agreeing.
I apologize. I interpreted to mean you thought it was unbelieveable that Graves scares the #### out of Shuke. As a Reds fan, he scares the #### out of me every time he takes the mound with a lead as well. For a supposed groundball pitcher he gives up a hell of a lot of dingers.

Dunn, Griffey and Pujols are tied for the MLB lead with 17 HRs and Casey has the top BA. Juan Castro is batting almost .300, Larkin is over .290.....this is all with Austin Kearns doing nothing. If Kearns can come back and be productive now, I think the Reds can stay in first for the rest of the season.**Disclaimer**If the Reds pitching goes into the crapper, all bets are off.

If Kearns can come back and be productive now, I think the Reds can stay in first for the rest of the season.
I also cling to the hope that Brandon Larson can be a .270 20HR 70 RBI per season hitter. Add that production and a healthy Kearns to the lineup and the Reds run differential is on par with Houston, St Louis, and Chicago.... expecially with Puljos and Sosa out.
**Disclaimer**If the Reds pitching goes into the crapper, all bets are off.
Same could be said of injuries. If guys like Castro, Lopez and Pena are forced to start on a regular basis, all bets are off as well.

Users who are viewing this thread