What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

‘Superflexers’ - What’s your draft strategy? (1 Viewer)

Efritch4

Footballguy
This is for all those Superflex league owners…what is your draft strategy this year?  I know it is hard to predict how the first few rounds will unfold, but I like going in with a ‘strategy’. 
Picking from the 9 slot in a 12 team league I’m leaning round 1 RB, and then a QB in round 2. 

What are other people thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Player available.  Getting locked into the "I need to take a QB because it's a superflex league" mentality is counterproductive. If I can start with 2 elite RBs or 1 elite RB and someone like Kelce or an elite WR, I'll do it.  I won my superflex league last year with Roethlisberger, Fitzmagic and Matt Ryan at QB. I was the last team to pick a QB (and a lot of teams had 2 before I took one), but that let me load up elsewhere. Their QBs scored a few more than mine, but I killed them at RB, TE and WR.

Best Player available.  Getting locked into the "I need to take a QB because it's a superflex league" mentality is counterproductive. If I can start with 2 elite RBs or 1 elite RB and someone like Kelce or an elite WR, I'll do it.  I won my superflex league last year with Roethlisberger, Fitzmagic and Matt Ryan at QB. I was the last team to pick a QB (and a lot of teams had 2 before I took one), but that let me load up elsewhere. Their QBs scored a few more than mine, but I killed them at RB, TE and WR.

Great advice.  The key to SF/2QB is staying in the top half of QB runs.  You don't necessarily have to force QB's but we aware of how many have been taken and when runs may start.  Looking at previous league drafts is a great help for this information as people are usually creatures of habit.  

Let the draft come to you and stay flexible.  Be aware of QB numbers and don't stuck on the wrong end of a run.  

Great advice.  The key to SF/2QB is staying in the top half of QB runs.  You don't necessarily have to force QB's but we aware of how many have been taken and when runs may start.  Looking at previous league drafts is a great help for this information as people are usually creatures of habit.  

Let the draft come to you and stay flexible.  Be aware of QB numbers and don't stuck on the wrong end of a run.  
I generally agree too, but I will take the QB if it's close between a QB another position, with the exception of an elite RB.  I would take CMC and Cook before I would take Mahomes.  

This year, the QBs have a lot of question marks after the top 10-12.  Getting two of the top 10-12 would be great if it can be done without going QB-QB in the first two rounds, which is something that I have never done before.  It think teams will be at a big disadvantage if they don't have one of the top 10 QBs this year as a QB1.

That said, the number of teams matter a lot in Superflex.   The QBs will go a lot quicker in a 12 teamer as opposed to a 10 teamer.  I generally don't worry about WRs much unless the value is insane.  In general, I like my first 5 picks to be 2QBs, 2RBs and 1WR, but BPA is the best course of action but keep track of QBs.

One other thing to add about SF is that QB may not necessarily be the optimal SF play based on scoring system.  Everyone just assumes that in a SF you gotta play 2 QB's but some scoring systems actually favor other positions for sheer points so QB isn't the way to go.  Make sure you take a look at how QB scoring compares to other positions (especially when you are looking at QB12-20 range).  You may surprised to realize that QB is not the way to go. 

Wait and pray. Seriously though, we aren't very good at predicting QB fantasy stats year to year. I am fine drafting several QBs late, taking boring QBs that people don't want, doubling up on an uncertain QB situation to fill the spot. If it works out and you get even average QB play then you can really smash the opposition at the other positions. Though it is a bit of playing with fire and can blow up in your face. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great advice!! A Superflex draft unlike standard 1 QB leagues become som unpredictable, and you have to be flexible. Do you join a ‘run’ in positions, or see the value on the board and wait to draft a position?  

I wish that FBG had designated columns/advice/rankings for Superflex/2QB leagues.

This is usually me because I always end up with a mid-late pick so miss out on the Mahomes/Lamar/Kyler top guys.  I'll draft the first 3 or 4 rounds as if it's a "normal" draft, then look to see if I can steal a couple of the uninteresting guys.  Stafford, Cousins, Goff, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, those type guys will usually get passed over for exciting rookies or 2nd year guys, and that's my bread and butter.  Just don't wait too late or you're stuck with Daniel Jones and Andy Dalton...

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one - We have a really old league where we've done some non traditional scoring changes to keep the league interesting.

Details:
  • 12 Teams
  • 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 O Flex, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Def
  • PPR scoring
  • QBs get 1 point every 10 yards passing, 4pts Pass TD
QBs are by far and away the highest scoring position and you can start 2 of them every week. Looking at the data from last year the 16 highest scoring players were all QBs, the Kupp, then 4 more QBs then Taylor. There is still a bigger drop off in scoring for RBs and WRs over the top 20 vs. QBs....

So my question is do you take a QB in the first round? I've got the 3rd pick. I know for sure Josh Allen is going off the board at 1. Any thoughts or advice???

Looking at the data from last year the 16 highest scoring players were all QBs
Just knowing the top 16 doesnt really help. What matters is the value from one pick to another. The above statement helps you in the first 2 rounds, it doesnt really help you understand rounds 3-last.

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one - We have a really old league where we've done some non traditional scoring changes to keep the league interesting.

Details:
  • 12 Teams
  • PPR scoring
QBs are by far and away the highest scoring position and you can start 2 of them every week. Looking at the data from last year the 16 highest scoring players were all QBs, the Kupp, then 4 more QBs then Taylor. There is still a bigger drop off in scoring for RBs and WRs over the top 20 vs. QBs....

So my question is do you take a QB in the first round? I've got the 3rd pick. I know for sure Josh Allen is going off the board at 1. Any thoughts or advice???
I would take a QB with the 1.03. The guy you think is the safest play to be in the top 5. Probably Herbert for me. My guess is that the league will go QB crazy the first few rounds because "QB's score the most" so you should still get quality for 2.10 and 3.03. However, if your league historically doesn't pound QB's and you think you can get a couple top 10 guys coming back then take CMC/Taylor at 1.03 and pound QB's coming back.

I would essentially put together a combined draft board based on your league knowledge and go off that. If you have a non QB ranked #2 and he is available at 1.03 then take him. My guess is that you will have QB's for the top 5 or 6 spots though so that should dictate your pick.

Details:
  • 12 Teams
  • PPR scoring

Given the scoring system, I would just take Mahomes or Herbert at 3 and then BPA at rounds 2 and 3. It's tempting to take Taylor or Jefferson or Ekeler at 3, but you have to wait until pick 22, you don't know how bad the QB run is going to be. I wouldn't be surprised if 15 QBs are off the board before it comes back to you at 22. Which means...if 15 QBs are off the board in the first 21 picks, you are going to get a really good player at 22....maybe Chase or Dalvin Cook. Given the scoring system, makes sense to get a QB that is going to throw for close to 5000 yards. You won't get that in round 2.

Details:
  • 12 Teams
  • PPR scoring

Given the scoring system, I would just take Mahomes or Herbert at 3 and then BPA at rounds 2 and 3. It's tempting to take Taylor or Jefferson or Ekeler at 3, but you have to wait until pick 22, you don't know how bad the QB run is going to be. I wouldn't be surprised if 15 QBs are off the board before it comes back to you at 22. Which means...if 15 QBs are off the board in the first 21 picks, you are going to get a really good player at 22....maybe Chase or Dalvin Cook. Given the scoring system, makes sense to get a QB that is going to throw for close to 5000 yards. You won't get that in round 2.
This is my thinking as well. I had the 12th pick last year and six QBs were already off the board so I took Davante and Hill. This league also awards bonus points for TDs of 40+ and 50+ yards so big play guys are also a premium.

Details:
  • 12 Teams
  • PPR scoring

Well first of all, while I think super-flex leagues are the best format in magic-football I think your league may have skewed too far in favoring QBs. Next season I suggest a modest scoring change and make it 1 point for every 50 yards passing and not 1 point for every 10 yards passing. 300 yard games are just too common now. That should give other positions an opportunity to compete for the top spots. You will still flex a QB almost every week, but you will have the viable option flex a different position if something terrible happens and you end up with only one QB.

I think your current format you are probably obligated to grab a QB at 1.03, it sucks that you probably won't get Allen or Herbert, but you still have a great option at 1.03. I probably wouldn't consider any other position until pick 1.8/1.9 at the earliest.

Details:
  • 12 Teams
  • PPR scoring

Wow 1 for 10 is wild.

If you plug this scoring into the FBG Draft Dominator, it ranks the top 5 players as:

Allen
Brady
Herbert
Mahomes

in that order.
Given you play in awful Superflex formats, Brady at 3 would even be a good pick there. And Herbert and Mahomes it shows as practically tied with that format.

Details:
  • 12 Teams
  • PPR scoring

Wow 1 for 10 is wild.

If you plug this scoring into the FBG Draft Dominator, it ranks the top 5 players as:

Allen
Brady
Herbert
Mahomes

in that order.
Given you play in awful Superflex formats, Brady at 3 would even be a good pick there. And Herbert and Mahomes it shows as practically tied with that format.
I don't like Brady this year....so I won't be drafting him.

I don't like Brady this year....so I won't be drafting him.
That's fair. Just one sites rankings, and was using it as an example of how crazy the qb rankings change when its 1 per 10 yards passing. That is a significant change. Lamar drops down to QB14.

So ya, with 1 for 10 passing, if you don't like Brady, then 100% you have to take Allen, Herbert, or Mahomes at pick 3.

an example of how crazy the qb rankings change when its 1 per 10 yards passing. That is a significant change.
Just really adjust your qb rankings with your new scoring. I don't think people will be as privy to this and you can clean up because of it.

FBG QB RANK:

1 for 25 yards passing:

Allen
Murray
Herbert
Mahomes
Hurts
Jackson
Burrow
Brady
Wilson
Dak
Lance
Rodgers
Cousins
Stafford
Carr

1 for 10 Yards passing:
Allen
Brady
Herbert
Mahomes
Burrow
Murray
Dak
Wilson
Cousins
Stafford
Hurts
Carr
Rodgers
Lamar
Lance

Doing the Superflex league again this year. I have the 3rd pick so probably going with whoever is left from Mahomes, Allen, Hurts. I was just looking at the scoring from last year. Here is the point differential from 1st to 10th by QB, RB and WR. As a disclaimer, this league was formed by co-workers who have all played in more traditional leagues for years and years and years. The goal was to just do something different and not normal and have some fun. No changes to the scoring rules....so QBs still dominate.

2022 Points

QB - 1st = 732 | 10th = 542
RB - 1st = 387 | 10th = 248
WR - 1st = 387 | 10th = 260

I might even be inclined to go QB - QB in rounds 1 and 2 depending on who is on the board.

2022 Points

I might even be inclined to go QB - QB in rounds 1 and 2 depending on who is on the board.
With that kind of scoring discrepancy you most certainly should go QB-QB as that will give you a huge weekly advantage over any team that didn't get a top 10 QB.

Doing the Superflex league again this year. I have the 3rd pick so probably going with whoever is left from Mahomes, Allen, Hurts. I was just looking at the scoring from last year. Here is the point differential from 1st to 10th by QB, RB and WR. As a disclaimer, this league was formed by co-workers who have all played in more traditional leagues for years and years and years. The goal was to just do something different and not normal and have some fun. No changes to the scoring rules....so QBs still dominate.

2022 Points

You're DEFINITELY going with whoever is left between Mahomes, Allen and Hurts. Whether you take a QB in round 2 depends on who is there. How many QBs were gone before pick 22 last year?

2022 Points

You're DEFINITELY going with whoever is left between Mahomes, Allen and Hurts. Whether you take a QB in round 2 depends on who is there. How many QBs were gone before pick 22 last year?
12 QBs were taken last year in the first 2 rounds.

Super Flex I am in has low QB scoring, - 4 pts per td , .25 per pass , -2 INT ....... QBs in the Flex spot are often outscored by WRs or pass catching RBs in full PPR .
I get the best players I can at skill positions and rotate QBs . Been in the money all 4 years in the league and took 2 first places.

This year I drew the 12th draft slot. I treat SF redrafts almost the same way as I would a SF dynasty startup, with respect to where the QBs ought to be drafted. With that said, I'm very unlikely to go QB/QB from the 12 slot just because it's such a long time back to me at the 3/4 turn, I'm not going to reach for Watson/Dak/Tua/Young at 13 and I feel like I gotta get a stud WR there or I just hate my team, at least in the mocks I've done...

Doesn't help that I've won this league twice while using rookie or waiver QBs in one or both QB/SF spots, so it's reinforced to me that a stud core is better than a stud QB...last year I had Dak as my #1 and he went down, then I survived with Pickett and Carr until he came back, then grabbed Purdy off waivers for the playoff run. Ended up winning the ship as the 6 seed.

Interesting thread- I just did a keepers draft for my first superflex draft (other than one underdog last year) and I "screwed it up" to a degree. I thought there was one more flex and so I misapplied my formulas. I may still be OK but I was pretty "wait on QB and RB2" in my approach when my WR3 isn't a starter. Also ,the way I do my work, I should have used a higher baseline for replacement value scoring for the WRs and RBs so feels like kind of a huge mistake. I could have had T Law but passed on him to stick to my (flawed) board.

I thought we were QB-Superflex- RB-RB WR-WR TE Flex K DST when in fact there's no non-super flex.

TE 1.5, WR 1.0, RB 0.5 PPR

Long story short, I'm rolling with Daniel Jones and Howell- both of whom I got at what I thought were great value in the draft. Mac Jones as QB3.

Andrews/Juwan for TE

Chubb-Dalvin-- Gibson-Charb-Allgeier-Ingram-Tucker

Adams-Higgins--Hopkins-Toney

Thought I'd be able to kill it with Hopkins in my flex and let the RB Churn help me get over the hump as the year goes on.

Yes, I screwed it up. But fantasy football is weird sometimes. You never know. I'll enjoy scrapping this year and come back with a better approach next year.

2022 Points

So that means that you're taking what would normally be available at the turn in a 1QB league. So say 11-12 off the board, you can get a really good RB/WR at 22 and come back with another QB in the 3rd. In this format, you almost have to take 2 QBs in the first 3 rounds.

2022 Points

With that kind of scoring I'm surprised it was only 12. I would likely get two QBs with your first three pics.

IMHO your scoring is a bit out of whack and could use some tweaking. That's the problem with SF leagues is you can end up way overemphasizing the QB. IMO the goal of a SF league is to bring the value of QBs in line with RBs & WRs (i.e. roughly the same number of QBs, RBs & WRs come off the board in the first two rounds. YMMV

I thought there was one more flex and so I misapplied my formulas. I may still be OK but I was pretty "wait on QB and RB2" in my approach when my WR3 isn't a starter. Also ,the way I do my work, I should have used a higher baseline for replacement value scoring for the WRs and RBs so feels like kind of a huge mistake. I could have had T Law but passed on him to stick to my (flawed) board.
Seems like that issue shouldn't have necessarily pointed you away from QB as you still play two (most likely) unless the scoring isn't QB heavy to the point that you flip a coin for SF between all positions.

I have the last pick. If Kelce is there, I'm taking him and best QB available provided one of the top 5-6 is still there.

I have one supeflex that's an auction, 12 teamer PPR, 1/2/3/1/1superFlex/1 traditional flex

Assuming pricing goes to form

I'm targeting Herbert, Daniel Jones and Howell

After that I love the late round WR value of players like Mims, Pickens, Dotson, Flowers....so I'll probably go hero WR and pay for one top guy, Tyreke would be great.

RB Wise I love James Cook and Rhamondre's value...maybe saquon if the price is right.

TE I like Chig or Njoku which I know I will be able to get super cheap.

Last edited:
First time doing a SF and I have a #4 pick. I will probably go QB first even though I'll most likely miss out on the big 3. I don't think I want to gamble that one of the top 8 QBs will be there in the 2nd round for me. I'll probably do BPA with the 2nd pick.

First time doing a SF and I have a #4 pick. I will probably go QB first even though I'll most likely miss out on the big 3. I don't think I want to gamble that one of the top 8 QBs will be there in the 2nd round for me. I'll probably do BPA with the 2nd pick.
The good thing about doing that from the 4 spot is: 1) you are still looking at a QB with the potential to finish top 3 (Burrow, Lamar etc) and 2) you may make the owners in the 5-12 spot panic reach for QBs with the 5-16 picks pushing some better talent down to you at #17.

That's solid strategy, and you'll probably be surprised to see that someone will likely take Jefferson top 3 so you end up with one of those QBs you want. Just had my 12 team SF redraft last night and we had 6 QBs go in the first round, and JJ went 1.02. two more QBs (Fields & Lawrence) went early second. The guy at 2.09 had his choice of ARSB/Lamb/Adams/Waddle or Henry/Pollard/Barkley.

This is for all those Superflex league owners…what is your draft strategy this year? I know it is hard to predict how the first few rounds will unfold, but I like going in with a ‘strategy’.
Picking from the 9 slot in a 12 team league I’m leaning round 1 RB, and then a QB in round 2.

What are other people thinking?
I think it depends on how many spots you can 'superflex' out.
if you can only do it with 1 position (other than the QB slot) you have the luxury of switching things up. but if you can start up to 3 or more QB, you're dumb not to go QB-QB to start.
the point advantage at QB would be large and you'd be dumb not to use every flex spot you got for a QB.

I play in only 1 big money league for the past 15 years and it's really my only FF focus - it's start 2qb/3rb/3wr/te/k/dst full ppr. 12 teams so never enough qbs to go around with bye weeks. I guess somewhat similar to a superflex. Pretty serious owners and the drafts are never predictable.

Here was what I did this year: after the big 3 qbs were gone before pick 6 (Mahomes/Allen/Hurts), I went BPA which I fear I might regret. Took Eckler then Chubb then HAD to take a qb in rd3 (Cousins). Filled in the WRs while everyone else was filling in their RBs (got St Brown and then Waddle in 4th 5th). I feel if you are taking BPA and not focusing on qbs early, it is mandatory to get a qb2 and qb3 that won't lose his job. Easier to do this with a middle round pick. Pickett then Ridder.

Have not used this strategy in the past because I always believed I want my 2qbs by the 4th round at the latest. This year seemed different with the huge gap in RBs and seemed almost all the rbs besides the tier 1 or top tier 2 were similar value in timeshares or a crapshoot.

I play in only 1 big money league for the past 15 years and it's really my only FF focus - it's start 2qb/3rb/3wr/te/k/dst full ppr. 12 teams so never enough qbs to go around with bye weeks. I guess somewhat similar to a superflex. Pretty serious owners and the drafts are never predictable.

Here was what I did this year: after the big 3 qbs were gone before pick 6 (Mahomes/Allen/Hurts), I went BPA which I fear I might regret. Took Eckler then Chubb then HAD to take a qb in rd3 (Cousins). Filled in the WRs while everyone else was filling in their RBs (got St Brown and then Waddle in 4th 5th). I feel if you are taking BPA and not focusing on qbs early, it is mandatory to get a qb2 and qb3 that won't lose his job. Easier to do this with a middle round pick. Pickett then Ridder.

Have not used this strategy in the past because I always believed I want my 2qbs by the 4th round at the latest. This year seemed different with the huge gap in RBs and seemed almost all the rbs besides the tier 1 or top tier 2 were similar value in timeshares or a crapshoot.
you got ARSB in the 4th and Waddle in the 5th? After starting Ekeler/Chubb in the 1st/2nd, it doesn't matter what the rest of your team looks like, you win this draft. Even in a 1QB league with 4 pt passing TDs, you shouldn't be able to start a draft with those 4 players. And the fact that your QBs (Cousins plus who?) aren't Baker & Tannehill means you did very well amigo...

you got ARSB in the 4th and Waddle in the 5th? After starting Ekeler/Chubb in the 1st/2nd, it doesn't matter what the rest of your team looks like, you win this draft. Even in a 1QB league with 4 pt passing TDs, you shouldn't be able to start a draft with those 4 players. And the fact that your QBs (Cousins plus who?) aren't Baker & Tannehill means you did very well amigo...
Always value dropping in the drafts when you have to start 2 qbs, full point ppr and 6pt tds for qb passing it usually means you must have 1 great qb and 1 avg qb. Every team is weak at something no matter what imo.

1 Mahomes good day in points is much > Chubb + Eckler good day. Top qbs do 40pt games often and getting 20pts each from 2 top rbs seems less likely. /shrug

First 5 rounds, had to take Cousins in 3rd. ARSB in 4th, Waddle in 5th, Waller 6th. Then Pickett then Ridder. Would rather have had an elite qb instead of this outcome but I appreciate your optimism, thanks.

Last edited:
scoring system is huge in SF leagues, in 4pt Td, .25 yards, and -2 td league I let everyone else make the early dash for QBs while I stack my roster with great depth in PPR leagues. Been working great using a shuffle QB/matchup strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread