What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

★ Darrelle Revis - Released by Jets. Soon to be Safety? (4 Viewers)

Regardless of if Revis is in the right or not....this is a serious issue and distraction that is not going away for a while.....Jets can save $9M by cutting him.....the question was whether it was worth keeping Revis around for the $6M to see if he could play safety, a position which he has never played.  Now the question is both that and why have such a distraction for an overplayed player learning a new position.

Jets should have moved on before this incident - now its a no brainer.  

Darrelle Revis hinted that he'd be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Jets.
Interacting with fans on Instagram, Revis admitted he no longer deserves top-10 cornerback money. Now facing multiple charges for his alleged role in a Pittsburgh brawl, the Jets may simply move on regardless of how big of a pay cut he's willing to take. If Revis' career continues, there's a good chance he'll have to convert to safety after losing his vertical speed last season.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 26 - 9:21 AM

Jets released CB Darrelle Revis.

Signed to a "five-year, $70 million" contract in March 2015, Revis returned to New York as a conquering hero, and turned in a solid 2015. Things have been very Jets-y since, with Revis' play falling off a cliff last season before a February arrest on felony assault charges. The move creates $7.33 million in cap space, but leaves behind a whopping $8 million in dead money. With his legs seemingly toast, the former fiercest corner in the league might have to convert to safety in his age-32 season. That's if he doesn't retire.

Related: Jets

Source: Brian Costello on Twitter 
Feb 28 - 7:59 PM

I hear that Revis stands to make $6m this year regardless of if he plays.

I can't imagine too many teams willing to pay him much more than that to play.

Not sure how it works ....

> if he signs with another team Is NY off the hook for the $6m they owe him as his new team would pay his full salary?

> or does his new team just pay the difference of his new salary less what NYJ are paying him? This would mean his new team is only on the hook for $1m or $2m a year should he sign for $7m or $8m.

> Does his new team pay him in addition to what NYJ owe him? So he would get his new $7m a year deal PLUS the $6m the NYJ owe him.

:shrug:

Bossman said:

> if he signs with another team Is NY off the hook for the $6m they owe him as his new team would pay his full salary?

> or does his new team just pay the difference of his new salary less what NYJ are paying him? This would mean his new team is only on the hook for $1m or $2m a year should he sign for $7m or $8m.

> Does his new team pay him in addition to what NYJ owe him? So he would get his new $7m a year deal PLUS the $6m the NYJ owe him.

I read it was this part:

He can sign for whatever he wants, but the Jets can deduct up to $6 mill whatever he is paid in regard to the cap.

The fact that he is facing suspension, looks old and disinterested, I'm not sure the Jets are gonna recoup much

Bossman said:

Only if there is "offset" language in the contract he signed, and that's unlikely with a player of Revis' caliber (at the time this contract was signed).  Offset clauses remove the opportunity for players to double-dip, getting paid guaranteed money left from a previous contract as well as a salary with the new team.  It's usually offered to risky draft picks - Justin Blackmon had a lot of offset money in his rookie deal.

New team pays him whatever they agree to, and Jets pay him what he's owed in guarantees unless there's offset language.

Last I saw, the Jets were going to try to withhold pay out of the guaranteed $6 million by invoking a conduct detrimental to the team clause which would void his contract. Not sure if that is still a working theory for them or not. 

I did hear that his Jets contract has the salary offset language which means the Jets would be off the hook for whatever Revis is paid by his new team.

... so if you are Revis, do you want to put your body thru the grind of a training camp and full season of practices / games when you can sit out the season and make $6m?

... now lets say some team thinks that they can resurect Revis Island ... or convert him to safety. They would need to pay Revis $8m just so he would be willing to get off the couch. Revis would stand to make an extra $2m to play this season. Would that be worth it for him?

... and I don't think anyone is willing to pay Revis $8m. Maybe the Browns? A team could land a very good CB or top S for that kind of money. 

I don't see a scenario where he plays this season.

Come on Ted, blow our minds.  This is exactly the kind of guy Ted likes.  Older future HOF talent that nobody wants.  Woodson and Peppers fit this mold.  

Come on Ted, blow our minds.  This is exactly the kind of guy Ted likes.  Older future HOF talent that nobody wants.  Woodson and Peppers fit this mold.  
Yeah, no thanks. Gets beat deep often as he's lost a step. Packers don't need another slow DB.

Rumor of Patriots interest...
I hope not.  He's a mercenary, pure and simple.  And I don't see the Pats having any interest, especially since I have the feeling that he (like Adrian Peterson) will want much, much more money than he is worth at this juncture in his career.

I hope not.  He's a mercenary, pure and simple.  And I don't see the Pats having any interest, especially since I have the feeling that he (like Adrian Peterson) will want much, much more money than he is worth at this juncture in his career.
The Jets are paying Revis' first $6 million, so that would off set some of the damage. At this point, teams aren't lining up for Revis' services, so I doubt he will command a big contract. 

I think technically the Jets are on the hook for whatever the difference between Revis' new salary and $6 million. So if he signs for $1 million, new team pays $1 million and Jets pay $5 million. At least that's how I think it works. 

I think technically the Jets are on the hook for whatever the difference between Revis' new salary and $6 million. So if he signs for $1 million, new team pays $1 million and Jets pay $5 million. At least that's how I think it works. 
I've heard just the opposite. Offset language in Revis contract would take the Jets off the hook for what ever he gets paid elsewhere.

Revis is guaranteed $6m whether he plays or not. A team would need to pony up $8m just so Revis had a reason show up.

There is no reason for Revis to get off the couch for less than that extra $2m.

If that happens Jets would be completely off the hook.

I just don't see any team paying $8m. Revis will take the season off and try a comeback next season. Why are we still discussing this?

I've heard just the opposite. Offset language in Revis contract would take the Jets off the hook for what ever he gets paid elsewhere.

Revis is guaranteed $6m whether he plays or not. A team would need to pony up $8m just so Revis had a reason show up.

There is no reason for Revis to get off the couch for less than that extra $2m.

If that happens Jets would be completely off the hook.

I just don't see any team paying $8m. Revis will take the season off and try a comeback next season. Why are we still discussing this?
Because he most like still wants to play. If he plays for the league minimum (which in his case is probably just south of $1 million), he still gets the other $5 million from the Jets.  

If he plays well, he can keep playing the following year somewhere and could get back closer to the income he had been making. 

Because he most like still wants to play. If he plays for the league minimum (which in his case is probably just south of $1 million), he still gets the other $5 million from the Jets.  

If he plays well, he can keep playing the following year somewhere and could get back closer to the income he had been making. 
Revis doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would play for free. (by free I mean getting no any additional $ for playing)

Has anyone in the history of the NFL ever played for "no additional money"?

Seems like a lot to put your body thru ... off season training, training camp / OTA'a, practices, games. 

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe cautioned not to "discount" the possibility of free agent Darrelle Revis returning to the Patriots.
Volin was told by a league source that the Patriots are "the only team that makes sense" for Revis, who was cut by the Jets as part of their roster purge last month. Revis helped the Patriots win a Super Bowl in 2014 and coach Bill Belichick would love to stick it to the Jets by reviving his career in Foxboro. Revis has publicly campaigned to play for his hometown Steelers but that interest doesn't appear to be mutual. Wherever Revis lands, there's a good chance he'll have to accept a backup role or move to safety coming off a career-worst year in 2016.

Related: Patriots

Source: Boston Globe 
Mar 19 - 10:44 AM

This is silly talk. Media throwing poop to try to gain readers. There is no story here.

NE doesn't want him and Revis is only trying to do what he always does ... get paid.

I sort of wonder if that isn't true, and he just stopped caring, like, if he goes to a winning team he'll be super motivated and look like maybe 90% of the Revis of old.
Stop wondering.  If he is disinterested, that makes him disinterested AND slow.

Stop wondering.  If he is disinterested, that makes him disinterested AND slow.
Impartial? 

disinterested<>uninterested

disinterested means impartial. 

On a more football note, what incentives could get Revis to play? How do you give incentives to a safety. Games played? Picks? Tackles? 

Impartial? 

disinterested<>uninterested

disinterested means impartial. 

On a more football note, what incentives could get Revis to play? How do you give incentives to a safety. Games played? Picks? Tackles? 

dis·in·ter·est·ed

disˈintrəstəd,disˈin(t)əˌrestəd/

adjective

having or feeling no interest in something.
"her father was so disinterested in her progress that he only visited the school once"

synonyms:

uninterestedindifferentincurious, uncurious, unconcernedunmovedunresponsiveimpassivepassivedetachedunenthusiasticlukewarmboredapathetic;

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a bastardization of the English language because of people like you. 

What's the first definition? Impartial, right? 

CSN New England's Tom Curran reports the Patriots and free agent CB Darrelle Revis have not discussed a deal.
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported "numerous league sources" believe Revis will play in New England or nowhere in 2017, but the Patriots have yet to kick the tires on the declining corner. Perhaps that changes if Malcolm Butler ends up somewhere else, but Revis will need to prove he is in shape and healthy before any team is willing to take a chance.

Related: Patriots

Source: CSN New England 
Mar 25 - 11:15 AM

ESPN New York reports there's "no market" for free agent Darrelle Revis because of last year's "significant decline" and "whispers about his commitment."
Reporter Rich Cimini spoke with a head coach, team executive, personnel director and scout. Revis' questionable commitment was an open secret during his disastrous age-31 campaign. Cimini's group did believe Revis could still land a contract if he agrees to a "modest" deal and "convinces team brass he still has the passion to play." One of the modern era's most famous mercenaries, Revis has never played for less than top dollar.

Source: ESPN.com 
May 22 - 1:20 PM

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports free agent CB Darrelle Revis will not face any league discipline stemming from an incident in Pittsburgh earlier this year.
Revis was initially charged with four felonies and one misdemeanor after a street fight in February, but those charges were dropped in March. The NFL reportedly continued their own investigation after the legal matter was resolved, but they also found no wrongdoing. Even with the possibility of suspension no longer hanging over his head, Revis has not gotten a sniff of interest in the last month.

Source: ESPN

Easily a 1st ballot hall of famer. In my opinion, he's the best CB of the 2000's so far, and probably among the 5 best in NFL history. Especially when you consider how much more difficult it is to play CB now than ever.

Users who are viewing this thread