What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☎ Le'veon Bell, expected to play vs Minny week 4. (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
Le'Veon Bell shares top spot on depth chart

LATROBE, Pa. -- Rookie running back Le'Veon Bell has jumped from third team to atop of the Pittsburgh Steelers' depth chart without taking a snap in the preseason.

Bell, who was listed behind Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer last week, was held out of the preseason opener because of a knee injury. In the depth chart released Wednesday, Bell was elevated to the co-starter spot with Redman.

The first time Bell learned about this was when a reporter asked him a question about it Wednesday.

"The guys who are calling the shots are confident in me," Bell said. "It’s good motivation. I’m going to keep striving to be the best I can be. I’m going to continue to compete."

When it comes to motivation, there's no shortage of it for the Steelers' second-round pick.

"I wasn’t the first running back and I didn’t go first round," Bell said, "that’s something I can use as motivation. I always find something to motivate me and that happens to be it."

Bell was the 48th player taken in the draft. That's 11 spots after Cincinnati's Giovani Bernard, who was the first running back drafted this year.

But, unlike Bernard, Bell is expected to be a featured back in his first season. Maybe the new depth chart is the Steelers' way of seeing if Bell can handle the pressure.

"I don’t look at it as pressure. I don’t get pressured by moving up spots," Bell said. "I just know when my number is called, I’m going to do what I can."

Bell said he's "full go" for the Steelers' second preseason game, which is Monday at Washington.

"This Monday, I can show people what I can do," he said.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/73361/leveon-bell-shares-top-spot-on-depth-chart?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Tomlin expounded on the Bell ascension...

"I wanted it to represent how we intend to work in the game," Tomlin said. "It speaks for itself."

Tomlin's words speak volumes.i.e., Haley is going to use another RBBC, just as ugly as last year's RBBC..

doubtful Redman and Bell have significant value going forward, as Steelers probably play the 'hot hand' like last year, leaving fantasy owners frustrated ..

not a committee i want a piece of..

Tomlin's words speak volumes.i.e., Haley is going to use another RBBC, just as ugly as last year's RBBC..

doubtful Redman and Bell have significant value going forward, as Steelers probably play the 'hot hand' like last year, leaving fantasy owners frustrated ..

I disagree. Tomlin has reiterated before that he doesn't want to keep rotating his backs anymore and that he wants a bell cow. Haley may be the OC, but it's still Tomlin's team.

The co-starter thing seems like the eventual ascension of Bell without merely handing it over to the rookie yet, and showing some respect to the good soldier Redman. Whether Bell can handle is remains to be seen.

In any event, one of the things I love about Tomlin is that he doesn't play coachspeak games - he's a straight shooter and tells it like it is.

I disagree. Tomlin has reiterated before that he doesn't want to keep rotating his backs anymore and that he wants a bell cow. Haley may be the OC, but it's still Tomlin's team.The co-starter thing seems like the eventual ascension of Bell without merely handing it over to the rookie yet, and showing some respect to the good soldier Redman. Whether Bell can handle is remains to be seen.

In any event, one of the things I love about Tomlin is that he doesn't play coachspeak games - he's a straight shooter and tells it like it is.
I agree that Tomlin does not do "coach speak.". However, your interpretation of his statement suggests you are regarding this (at least partially) as just that. He said his depth chart is meant to reflect how they will work in he game. If Tomlin isn't "coach speaking," they intend to haves RBBC in this game. Bellamy earn the #1 job for his year, but Tomlin's words, by no means, indicate that has already happened.

I disagree. Tomlin has reiterated before that he doesn't want to keep rotating his backs anymore and that he wants a bell cow. Haley may be the OC, but it's still Tomlin's team.The co-starter thing seems like the eventual ascension of Bell without merely handing it over to the rookie yet, and showing some respect to the good soldier Redman. Whether Bell can handle is remains to be seen.

I agree that Tomlin does not do "coach speak.". However, your interpretation of his statement suggests you are regarding this (at least partially) as just that. He said his depth chart is meant to reflect how they will work in he game. If Tomlin isn't "coach speaking," they intend to haves RBBC in this game. Bellamy earn the #1 job for his year, but Tomlin's words, by no means, indicate that has already happened.
I agree with what you are saying, with the bold face for emphasis.

I guess it's tough to interpret one sentence - he could be saying that the depth chart right now is the plan for when week 1 starts. If the season started right now, it would probably be both guys as Bell hasn't suited up for a game yet and Tomlin doesn't want to just hand the keys over to the rookie yet. But as we all know, the depth chart can change.

I still contend that Tomlin doesn't play games and that Bell will get the lion's share as long as he doesn't falter. But it's still early.

I see this as good news for Bell being the bell cow. The first step if you will. Particularly since it happened before Bell has even played a down in the preseason.

I agree with what you are saying, with the bold face for emphasis.

I guess it's tough to interpret one sentence - he could be saying that the depth chart right now is the plan for when week 1 starts. If the season started right now, it would probably be both guys as Bell hasn't suited up for a game yet and Tomlin doesn't want to just hand the keys over to the rookie yet. But as we all know, the depth chart can change.

I still contend that Tomlin doesn't play games and that Bell will get the lion's share as long as he doesn't falter. But it's still early.
Bell started out as No. 3 on the depth chart so moving up to "co-starter" before he's even played a preseason snap does speak well to the Steelers' plans for him.

This may be one of those scenarios where everyone is right and they might indeed play lots of guys. BUT..if Bell is the "hot hand", then you know how that ends up;

20 carries for him, 7 for Redman, a few tidbits tossed to LSH in certain games and scenarios..That's basically the Hoouston formula and it doesn't hold Foster back.

Tomlin was talking about the next pre-season game not the plan for the regular season. That's a giant leap you took there

From Triblive.com -

"Published: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 , 9:15 p.m.

[SIZE=75%]Updated 3 hours ago[/SIZE]

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin elevated rookie running back Le'Veon Bell from fifth on the depth chart to co-first-teamer with Isaac Redman for Monday's preseason game at Washington. Bell has never taken a professional snap. “I wanted (the depth chart) to represent how we are going to work in the game,” Tomlin said. Tomlin planned on giving Bell snaps with the first team during last week's first preseason game against the Giants, but Bell was a late scratch because of a sore knee. Bell, who was unaware of the depth chart change, returned to practice Monday and again Wednesday — the team was off Tuesday — without a setback. “When my name is called, when my number is called, I am going to get in there and do what I can,” Bell said."

Bell went down with an apparent right knee injury a little while ago

@gerrydulac Uh oh,LeVeon Bell goes down on stretch play. Been lying on field for a while. Sitting up now.

@dlolleyor Right knee or ankle for Bell

@rayfitt1 Bell is up, flexing his leg and walking gingerly to sidelines.

@dlolleyor Bell Sitting down on field with trainers. Again. Now looking at left knee.

All I've seen

@dlolleyor: Drill where Bell was injured not supposed to be live. I am hearing mcl sprain. #steelers

Steelers | Le'Veon Bell practicing Fri Aug 16, 03:28 PM

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell (knee) is participating in practice Friday, Aug. 16, and appears to be a full participant.

Steelers | Two RBs not taking part in contact drills Fri Aug 16, 04:46 PM

Pittsburgh Steelers RBs Le'Veon Bell (knee) and Isaac Redman (shoulder) are dressed for practice Friday, Aug. 16, but are not taking part in contact drills.

(KFFL)Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said he expects RB Le'Veon Bell (foot) to ramp up his activity in practice this week as he continues to work his way back from a foot issue.

Tomlin said that Heath Miller will return to a full practice this week, but he didn't make the same proclamation on Bell.

We need him healthy for sure....if we can get Heath and Bell on the field, the Steelers would be a much different team.

We need him healthy for sure....if we can get Heath and Bell on the field, the Steelers would be a much different team.
It is a short week and Tomlin has this thing about rookies practicing all week so I wouldn't expect Bell back against the Bears -- probably comes back the following week against the Vikings.

I think Heath should be back this week though.

I was going to wait to snatch this guy another week, but this news has made me have to act much faster. Good news for those who want to get an RB that will get majority of the work on the sly.

Really sucks that just a little over a week ago it was reported to be a Lisc Franc type sprain that was going to hold him out until 3rd week of October.

I am hurting so bad at running back that I gambled on dropping him last week for another dead beat RB. My plan was to pick him back up on auction this week. Damn if I wasn't outbid. $21 to $15. I was surprised anyone else was interested with reports being that he was still about a month away and the Steelers looking so bad. Oh well, effd again. Lol.

I've held onto the guy since after the draft, his shear volume of touches combined with talent should open up things for the Offense. :) You know he's going to play at some point, why risk NOT having him on your team?

Him getting hurt definitely let me add some value to my team (assuming he produces).

I honestly didn't see him play in college and drafted him based off of what I've read and the fact that he was one of the few presumably startings RBs available at the time. I just took a look at his highlight reel. Looks like an old school Madden video game on this play (2:09). :jawdrop:

I really hope he isn't rushed back because of desperation related to how the season is looking so far. If it was truly a Linsfranc then it would likely just reaggravate to the point of making him a shell of his full potential, similiar to what we saw with Gates a couple years back.

What does anyone think of the Steelers line so far, and does Bell have a real shot at being RB1 in the backfield vs a share?

He's out there and I had planned on drafting him, the Steeler situation just seems not great now.

wonder what his workload will be, it will be hard to trust him as a starter this week...

especially with the OL looking so bad.

wonder what his workload will be, it will be hard to trust him as a starter this week...

especially with the OL looking so bad.
I wouldn't trust him this game. Especially with a bye the following week.

Though the teams practice notes this week could change that. Heath Miller played 60% of the snaps in his first game back.

RB2 at best, RB3 at worst. Won't produce RB1 numbers this season due to offense, rookie.
I agree with the ceiling but the Steelers offense could continue to unravel. Even if it doesn't, the offensive line is once again one of the worst in the league. I don't think RB3 is his floor, and that doesn't even get into re-injury/durability concerns. Reasonable people can differ, and perhaps you already factored in those discounts, just not to the same magnitude as I am doing.

13 - 27 vs Titans - 2.08. (passed 191)

14 - 43 vs Cincy - 3.07. (passed 288)

19 - 73 vs Bears - 3.84. (Passed for 406 vs Bears coinciding with the return of Heath Miller.)

@ Minnesota Vikings
@ New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
@ Oakland Raiders
@ New England Patriots
Buffalo Bills
Detroit Lions
@ Cleveland Browns
@ Baltimore Ravens
Miami Dolphins
Cincinnati Bengals
@ Green Bay Packers
Cleveland Browns

RB2 at best, RB3 at worst. Won't produce RB1 numbers this season due to offense, rookie.
I agree with the ceiling but the Steelers offense could continue to unravel. Even if it doesn't, the offensive line is once again one of the worst in the league. I don't think RB3 is his floor, and that doesn't even get into re-injury/durability concerns. Reasonable people can differ, and perhaps you already factored in those discounts, just not to the same magnitude as I am doing.
While the turnovers have been a disaster, the offense actually showed signs of life last week.

Users who are viewing this thread