What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦ Official 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread &#10 (2 Viewers)

This team is loaded on the offensive side of the ball. They should be looking to score 30 points a week, every week.

This team is loaded on the offensive side of the ball. They should be looking to score 30 points a week, every week.
We'll see. Le'veon Bell missing 3 games is a big loss.

The bigger problem is the defense has been capable of allowing 30 points per game as well. Hopefully the infusion of youth and Keith Butler will be an improvement.

The Steelers have one of the tougher schedules this season so if they do make the playoffs they will presumably be battle-tested.

Eagles trade CB Brandon Boykin to Steelers

The Philadelphia Eagles announced on Saturday that they traded cornerback Brandon Boykin to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft. According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, the draft choice can become a fourth-rounder based on Boykin's playing time. Let's walk through a few things to know about the deal.

1. Philadelphia Makeover

Boykin is just the latest Eagles veteran to be jettisoned by Chip Kelly this offseason, joining LeSean McCoy, Evan Mathis, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, Nick Foles, James Casey, and Cary Williams, among others.

2. Slot Skills

Boykin, who is headed into the final year of his rookie contract, has emerged as one of the NFL's best slot cornerbacks over the last two seasons. He's one of just 11 corners to play at least 50 percent of his team's snaps in the slot in each of the last two seasons.

He has a very high opinion of his play, and rightly so. "It's two years running with this story and it's getting real old for me, and I'm just going to continue to be the best slot in the NFL," he said in early June. "I feel like I am. I feel like my statistics show that and that's what I'm focused on."

Slot Corners Player Targets Receptions Yards TD INT QB Rating Chris Harris 88 56 577 0 4 63.5 Brandon Boykin 139 85 1,011 2 7 67.1 Jimmy Wilson 90 59 657 2 2 85.3 Nickell Robey 107 65 763 3 1 87.9 Darius Butler 114 69 876 4 2 88.9 Orlando Scandrick 107 77 729 3 2 91.2 Captain Munnerlyn 127 89 918 3 2 91.9 Brice McCain 88 56 602 4 1 94.0 Buster Skrine 112 71 699 9 3 96.5 Josh Wilson 100 73 852 4 2 103.4 Leonard Johnson 95 70 822 7 2 115.3If Boykin's not entirely correct, he's really close. Only Chris Harris has held quarterbacks to a lower passer rating while in the slot over the last two years than Boykin, and Boykin's seven picks are as many as the next two highest players (Harris and Buster Skrine) combined.

Boykin, though, has also been very vocal about his desire to play on the outside in addition to the slot, something he did not do very often in Philadelphia. Boykin, who stands 5-foot-10, played 820 snaps in coverage over the last two seasons, per Pro Football Focus, and was in the slot on 727 (88.7 percent) of those snaps.

"I think here they have certain requirements. I think we should be honest and call it what it is," Boykin said in June. "Maybe they want a taller guy to be outside and that's what their preference is just to start the standard. And I'm sure there are some exceptions. There's a reason why I'm still here."

3. A Long Time Coming?

Based on Kelly's previous stances toward players who openly disagree with how he runs the team, it would not be a surprise if Boykin's voicing his desire to play on the outside factored into his being traded. He was rumored to be a potential trade chip all the way back as far as the lead-up to the NFL Draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll see. Le'veon Bell missing 3 games is a big loss. The bigger problem is the defense has been capable of allowing 30 points per game as well. Hopefully the infusion of youth and Keith Butler will be an improvement.

The Steelers have one of the tougher schedules this season so if they do make the playoffs they will presumably be battle-tested.
Bell's suspension was reduced to 2 games, but point remains valid.

Like the trade but it does make me nervous that the Golson injury is worse than anyone knows. From everything I've read, Cortez is holding up well in drills even though he's been matched damn near exclusively against Antonio.

I like this trade also. I think the Steelers got excellent value here.

From Bouchette -

Pro FB Focus ranked Boykin No. 21 overall among all NFL CBs, 19 in pass coverage, higher than any #Steelers CB in 2014

Eagles trade CB Brandon Boykin to Steelers

The Philadelphia Eagles announced on Saturday that they traded cornerback Brandon Boykin to the Pittsburgh Steelers for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft. According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, the draft choice can become a fourth-rounder based on Boykin's playing time. Let's walk through a few things to know about the deal.

1. Philadelphia Makeover

Boykin is just the latest Eagles veteran to be jettisoned by Chip Kelly this offseason, joining LeSean McCoy, Evan Mathis, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole, Nick Foles, James Casey, and Cary Williams, among others.

2. Slot Skills

Boykin, who is headed into the final year of his rookie contract, has emerged as one of the NFL's best slot cornerbacks over the last two seasons. He's one of just 11 corners to play at least 50 percent of his team's snaps in the slot in each of the last two seasons.

He has a very high opinion of his play, and rightly so. "It's two years running with this story and it's getting real old for me, and I'm just going to continue to be the best slot in the NFL," he said in early June. "I feel like I am. I feel like my statistics show that and that's what I'm focused on."

Slot Corners Player Targets Receptions Yards TD INT QB Rating Chris Harris 88 56 577 0 4 63.5 Brandon Boykin 139 85 1,011 2 7 67.1 Jimmy Wilson 90 59 657 2 2 85.3 Nickell Robey 107 65 763 3 1 87.9 Darius Butler 114 69 876 4 2 88.9 Orlando Scandrick 107 77 729 3 2 91.2 Captain Munnerlyn 127 89 918 3 2 91.9 Brice McCain 88 56 602 4 1 94.0 Buster Skrine 112 71 699 9 3 96.5 Josh Wilson 100 73 852 4 2 103.4 Leonard Johnson 95 70 822 7 2 115.3If Boykin's not entirely correct, he's really close. Only Chris Harris has held quarterbacks to a lower passer rating while in the slot over the last two years than Boykin, and Boykin's seven picks are as many as the next two highest players (Harris and Buster Skrine) combined.

Boykin, though, has also been very vocal about his desire to play on the outside in addition to the slot, something he did not do very often in Philadelphia. Boykin, who stands 5-foot-10, played 820 snaps in coverage over the last two seasons, per Pro Football Focus, and was in the slot on 727 (88.7 percent) of those snaps.

"I think here they have certain requirements. I think we should be honest and call it what it is," Boykin said in June. "Maybe they want a taller guy to be outside and that's what their preference is just to start the standard. And I'm sure there are some exceptions. There's a reason why I'm still here."

3. A Long Time Coming?

Based on Kelly's previous stances toward players who openly disagree with how he runs the team, it would not be a surprise if Boykin's voicing his desire to play on the outside factored into his being traded. He was rumored to be a potential trade chip all the way back as far as the lead-up to the NFL Draft.
Beneficiaries of Chipper's megalomania. :thumbup:

Evilgrin 72 said:
Like the trade but it does make me nervous that the Golson injury is worse than anyone knows. From everything I've read, Cortez is holding up well in drills even though he's been matched damn near exclusively against Antonio.
Apparently PIT has been pursuing Boykin since April, so hopefully this wasn't a reactionary move.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/chip-kelly-i-don’t-know-why-brandon-boykin-would-say

Kelly said the Steelers, who gave up a 2016 draft pick for Boykin, have been calling the Eagles for months about acquiring him in a trade. The Steelers recently upped their offer to either a fourth-round pick or a fifth-round pick, depending on Boykin’s playing time, and that was the offer the Eagles accepted.

“They actively pursued him. They wanted to trade for him at the draft and we turned it down,” Kelly said.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Apparently PIT has been pursuing Boykin since April, so hopefully this wasn't a reactionary move.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/chip-kelly-i-don’t-know-why-brandon-boykin-would-say

Kelly said the Steelers, who gave up a 2016 draft pick for Boykin, have been calling the Eagles for months about acquiring him in a trade. The Steelers recently upped their offer to either a fourth-round pick or a fifth-round pick, depending on Boykin’s playing time, and that was the offer the Eagles accepted.

“They actively pursued him. They wanted to trade for him at the draft and we turned it down,” Kelly said.
Rumors are Golson will be IR'd.

Fine with Grant.

Hate the James pick(already have one Matt Spaeth on the team). Hate the Chickillo pick(plodder. Not a good rusher. Seems like a guy without a position in the 3-4).

Love the Walton pick though. Could be a boss in a couple years. Big guy who can really fire off the ball.
Chik might be alright. http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-news-times-schedule-tickets-updates/2015/8/3/9089523/anthony-chickillo-having-fun-and-playing-hard-while-turning-heads-at

3C said:

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/chip-kelly-i-dont-know-why-brandon-boykin-would-say

Kelly said the Steelers, who gave up a 2016 draft pick for Boykin, have been calling the Eagles for months about acquiring him in a trade. The Steelers recently upped their offer to either a fourth-round pick or a fifth-round pick, depending on Boykins playing time, and that was the offer the Eagles accepted.

They actively pursued him. They wanted to trade for him at the draft and we turned it down, Kelly said.
Rumors are Golson will be IR'd.
Season ending shoulder surgery likely. GD it.

Love the Boykin trade...Its one of those deals every other team gets and makes me say "why didnt the Steelers get him?!"....glad to see them finally make a pro move

shoot...didn't see Lemon was injured/waived. I wanted to see what he could do.
Reports from minicamp were that the prevailing sentiment was that he was JAG. They wasted no time paying him an injury settlement and sending him on his way after he cleared waivers, so I believe it was a "nothing to see here" deal.

Even if this fluff piece is half accurate, we could be in for a fun year. :towelwave:

Read more @FOXSports- Pittsburgh defense playing 'Steeler football' under new coordinator-http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-defense-new-coordinator-kevin-butler-training-camp-080515

LATROBE, Pa. -- It was a gorgeous morning here in the Laurel Valley on Wednesday, as the sun shone on the peaceful campus of St. Vincent's College.
Well, peaceful until the first minute of team drills of the Pittsburgh Steelers' training camp practice, when linebackers Arthur Moats and Lawrence Timmons converged on rookie running back Cameron Stingily and separated him from the ball with a loud crack of their pads. The players whooped from the sideline while the man in the straw hat and sunglasses watched from behind the offense. His expression didn't change much, but it was evident from the tone of his Alabama drawl he was pleased with what he saw. "Helluva play," Keith Butler said flatly. Butler is in his first few months as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, though if you talk to his players and assistant coaches, they'll tell you it's a role he's been playing in part for quite some time. The difference is now he's no longer doing it in concert with the legendary **** LeBeau, who left after last season before joining the Tennessee Titans.

Though LeBeau technically resigned, it's clear the team wanted to move on. This is a franchise that's not used to having a sieve for a defense, and last season the Steelers ranked 18th in the NFL in yards and points allowed. That's a mediocre showing that would be an improvement for some teams but was the lowest ranking in either category for the Steelers since 1991.

The whispers from offensive coaches around the league were LeBeau, once known for the unpredictability of his zone blitzes, had become too predictable with his schemes and situational play calling. And worse, his defense as a whole had become too soft. That's not good enough in the Steel City. It's now Butler's show, and the 59-year-old longtime assistant is intent on returning this defense to its dominant form. Even if the rules make it harder to do that these days. "Nah, we're going to be physical. We're going to come after people," said outside linebackers coach Joey Porter, who has a unique perspective on Butler because he played for him and now coaches alongside him. "That's why he puts us in a lot of tough situations (at practice), just to see how we're going to play. It's easy to go out there and blitz every other play. He wants it to be man-on-man, 'I'm not scheming you, I'm asking you to beat the person across from you; can you get it done for me?' "That is Steeler football, man. That's how you find out how tough you are."

Butler, the Steelers' linebackers coach from 2003 through last season, opened training camp by telling his players to, in the words of starting defensive end Stephon Tuitt, "Just go." Butler wants them to play faster, harder and more aggressively than they did last season when they allowed more than 21 points in nine of their first 12 games on their way to a 7-5 record. The defense then briefly clamped down to keep opponents at or below that mark in the final quarter of the season. Not surprisingly, the Steelers won all four of those games, only to have the Baltimore Ravens hang 30 points on them in a wild-card round loss. Exit LeBeau, along with retired safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Ike Taylor, and enter Butler.

Loaded with weapons and an improved offensive line, it's Butler's job to remind his players there's a tradition of much better defense to uphold around these parts.
"You have to," Butler said. "I've been to three Super Bowls since I've been here and we won two of them. All of those teams that were in the Super Bowls were physical teams. They were examples of what we're talking about when we talk physicality. James Harrison is still here, but we had a lot of guys last year that lot of the young guys saw play, and they admired them. "It's just a matter of trying to carry on that legacy."

Butler's defense will still have some of the same elements as LeBeau's schemes. The Steelers will continue to run their traditional 3-4 front in their base defense because Butler believes it provides flexibility, with the outside linebackers being able to blitz or drop into coverage. He knows this defense and he knows it well, so well he's been serving as a pseudo-coordinator for years. Porter said Butler has always extended his coaching to position groups other than the linebackers and would often make the halftime adjustments for the defense after LeBeau diagnosed why an offense was effective with certain plays.

"Back then, they had it on black and white on the paper sheets and they would come in at halftime and get on the board to show where everybody is," Porter said, making a decade ago seem as far away as Butler's career with the Seahawks from 1978-87. "Now, last year we have the monitors where you can see the play as it happens. You would always see him sitting down and telling guys where they're supposed to spill, squeeze, where the safety is supposed to be. Butler is hardly new to the Steelers defense, having previously served as linebackers coach. "He was always able to make these adjustments. He's a sharp mind."

But it seems less about scheme and more about attitude for this defense right now. The players are getting the message. They're talking about imposing their will on the offense more than they did last year. The defensive linemen are pleased Butler wants them to attack and make plays, whereas in the past, their assignments were simply to tie up blockers and fill in gaps. And the defensive backs like the way Butler is talking about putting them in a position to "hit people when they're not looking."
During Wednesday's practice, there were a lot of big, legal hits. And when there weren't, the players on the sideline yelled out corrections faster than the coaches could.
"Don't give them a yard!" "Get off the block!" "If you can make a play, make it!" Linebacker Vince Williams certainly made one late in practice when he lit up Stingily as the ball arrived on a short route. The crowd on hand let out an "Ooooh." Williams' defensive teammates ran over to congratulate him. Butler, again in his spot behind the offense, gave Williams a big overhand clap.

"I'm not looking for comfort," head coach Mike Tomlin said minutes later, after the intense two-hour-plus practice had concluded. "(Physical defensive play) is on our agenda, and we'll measure it by how we hit in stadiums. We're seeing some positive signs toward that out here, but I'm not seeking comfort." What he's seeking is a coach who can turn this defense around and make it start playing, as Porter put it, Steeler football. Perhaps Butler is already showing he's that guy.

"I think we all came to that determination," Tomlin said with a laugh. "We don't care who gets the credit."

Reports from minicamp were that the prevailing sentiment was that he was JAG. They wasted no time paying him an injury settlement and sending him on his way after he cleared waivers, so I believe it was a "nothing to see here" deal.
same as a JAGOFF I assume?
Believe JAG stands for "Just A Guy" when it comes to sports evaluation.

Believe JAG stands for "Just A Guy" when it comes to sports evaluation.
:bag:

I let this term "JAGOFF" slip out a few weeks ago around some people from the south. Yeah, they looked at me like I had 3 heads. Pittsburgh roots... That's all I could say.

It may be a ton of future practice squad or unemployed guys playing but we get Steeler football in 2 days!! Excited to see some of the young guys.

Won't make a huge deal about it since it is the first game but the fundamentals of this defense are terrible. Horrible tackling and I have no idea what Bud Dupree is doing out there

Again only first game. Landry Jones is actually looking like an NFL QB

Landry really needs to be more aware of the play clock.
He needs to be off the roster. :(
Let's wait and see if Tajh Boyd gets some reps in the second day half and see what he does before making this proclamation.
No. Id rather having continuous roving workouts until someone worth a crap sticks.
I don't think he's looked bad tonight. A lot of his incompletions would have been catches if the first team receivers were in the game.

:no:

He looks good at 55% completion (which is HUGE for Landry).

And at 5.7 per pass, because he got bailed out on that 35 yarder.

He is garbage.

:no:

He looks good at 55% completion (which is HUGE for Landry).

And at 5.7 per pass, because he got bailed out on that 35 yarder.

He is garbage.
He also had a couple of possible TD passes dropped and made a couple of nice throws that ended up in PI calls. He hasn't been great, but also hasn't turned the ball over or made any egregiously poor decisions, so that's a step in the right direction. Guy's third string, he's only going to play in an emergency anyway, if it comes to that, I'd rather have a guy back there that knows the offense than someone off the street. Now, if you're talking about grooming someone to eventually replace Ben, then yeah. He's not the guy, but we already knew that.

Jesse James having a rough game.

Chisholm looks MUCH quicker and more elusive than Stingly. A shame because the guy is by all accounts a hard worker and a great guy, but I think Stingly gets cut pretty soon.

I never want to see this Jessie James guy again. I think you could put the pornstar with similar name in that uniform and has better hands

Users who are viewing this thread