What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦ Official 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread &#10 (3 Viewers)

Talking about Villanueva, he's been hugely improved in camp and carrying that over tonight. I think he has an excellent chance of making the 53. Possibly at Mike Adams' expense.

Tomlin said that Suisham's injury is "potentially significant." That's not good. He doesn't have a big leg, but he's been very accurate in a tough stadium to kick in.

Was avoiding this thread until I had a chance to watch the game but I just heard about Suisham's injury. Why in the hell they don't tell the kicker to get out of the way on returns during the preseason is beyond me.

It looks like Suisham was the only kicker on the roster. I think Jay Feely is the only unsigned veteran that played last year (4 games for the Bears). There has got to be a better kicker out there right?

ETA: Nevermind there are other veteran free agent kickers out there: Billy Cundiff, Nate Freese, etc. Not a very good list though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was avoiding this thread until I had a chance to watch the game but I just heard about Suisham's injury. Why in the hell they don't tell the kicker to get out of the way on returns during the preseason is beyond me.

It looks like Suisham was the only kicker on the roster. I think Jay Feely is the only unsigned veteran that played last year (4 games for the Bears). There has got to be a better kicker out there right?

ETA: Nevermind there are other veteran free agent kickers out there: Billy Cundiff, Nate Freese, etc. Not a very good list though.
Suisham is 91% from less than 50 yards in his Steelers career. That's not easy to replace. Hoping they won't have to.

"Kicker Shaun Suisham has told people he believes he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Sunday's Hall of Fame Game, sources informed of the situation told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. He is scheduled to have an MRI on Monday."

• By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 10, 2015 at 11:52 a.m

"Kicker Shaun Suisham has told people he believes he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Sunday's Hall of Fame Game, sources informed of the situation told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. He is scheduled to have an MRI on Monday."

• By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 10, 2015 at 11:52 a.m
Oh, that's terrific.
Yeah if that is the case he is done for the year. As I said I was perusing the veteran kicker FA list. It is not pretty...

When it comes to kickers I don't care one bit about where they used to play. Seeing a former Bengal doesn't bother me as much as the fact that Graham after he left Cincy has turned into a mediocre kicker if I remember. Unfortunately most kicker not currently on a roster are either in their 50's or average at best. I think the best chance to get a kicker is wait until the last cut down and hope

When it comes to kickers I don't care one bit about where they used to play. Seeing a former Bengal doesn't bother me as much as the fact that Graham after he left Cincy has turned into a mediocre kicker if I remember. Unfortunately most kicker not currently on a roster are either in their 50's or average at best. I think the best chance to get a kicker is wait until the last cut down and hope
There's no way they're going to wait until the last cut down. They have 4 more preseason games to play, they have to start bringing guys in and trying them out. Now, it may be that whoever is kicking FGs week 1 is a final cut guy, but they're not going to wait a month to at least audition some kickers.

No you are right on that. I just have a feeling that a starting kicker in the last cut down will be better then the 2 or 3 they try to sign in the next couple days.

No you are right on that. I just have a feeling that a starting kicker in the last cut down will be better then the 2 or 3 they try to sign in the next couple days.
True. They're going to need someone in camp as early as tomorrow. They'll sign someone right away but there is a good chance he won't be the last.

I'm going to be in Pittsburgh on 23rd. Might as well go to the preseason game.

A few questions:

What is the best way to get tickets for a preseason game?

Where is the best place to sit in the Heinz?

I'm going to be in Pittsburgh on 23rd. Might as well go to the preseason game.

A few questions:

What is the best way to get tickets for a preseason game?

Where is the best place to sit in the Heinz?
I would first go to the Steelers ticket exchange. You should be able to get tickets pretty cheap there. If not then go the scalping route.

IMO the best seats would be sections 133-136, 109-112 and similar seats in the 200s and the lower section of the 500 level.

No kickers were drafted this year across the NFL. Surely there's a senior from some college program that would be worth at least a tryout, instead of retread vets whose accuracy or lack of length has gotten them cut by multiple teams.

According to Rapoport, Pittsburgh will host free agent Jay Feely, Alex Henery, and Garrett Hartley, and possibly others.

IIRC, some wanted the Steelers to draft Henery a few years ago.
Henery has a big leg and was a punter in college as well as a kicker. Struggled last year with accuracy but I think he's a possibility.
Only reason Feely wasn't rostered last year was because he has a public voice.

Guy can kick. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2159/jay-feely

According to Rapoport, Pittsburgh will host free agent Jay Feely, Alex Henery, and Garrett Hartley, and possibly others.

IIRC, some wanted the Steelers to draft Henery a few years ago.
Henery has a big leg and was a punter in college as well as a kicker. Struggled last year with accuracy but I think he's a possibility.
Only reason Feely wasn't rostered last year was because he has a public voice.

Guy can kick. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2159/jay-feely
Feely is solid. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he gets signed.

Re: Landry Jones. I don't understand the need to roster a QB3 with Big Ben and Gradkowski in front of him. Might as well use the roster spot for another position player. I could see it if the 3rd QB was a projected starter down the road, but clearly Jones I'd not that. At best he is a perennial, journeyman backup. I'd rather deepen another position. In other words, if we are calling on Jones in a game, might as well concede.

Re: Landry Jones. I don't understand the need to roster a QB3 with Big Ben and Gradkowski in front of him. Might as well use the roster spot for another position player. I could see it if the 3rd QB was a projected starter down the road, but clearly Jones I'd not that. At best he is a perennial, journeyman backup. I'd rather deepen another position. In other words, if we are calling on Jones in a game, might as well concede.
For some reason they (Colbert/Tomlin) always have carried 3 and likely always will. Came in handy that one year with Batch and Leftwich, but obviously ( ;) ) we're not talking Batch/Leftwich when it comes to Grads/Jones. If they can put Jones on the PS I'd be okay with that. Gradkowski is getting up in years and has this shoulder issue right now.

I think the Steelers like 3 QBs so that one can run the opponent's offense during the week while Ben and the #2 practice with the Steelers offense.

I didn't get to watch the second half yet but I thought Jones looked okay in the first half. He missed some throws but was victimized by some drops as well.

Personally I don't see the attraction of Gradkowski and never did. There have been better options available but the Steelers stuck with Grad. Hopefully he gets back soon I guess.

I think the Steelers like 3 QBs so that one can run the opponent's offense during the week while Ben and the #2 practice with the Steelers offense.

I didn't get to watch the second half yet but I thought Jones looked okay in the first half. He missed some throws but was victimized by some drops as well.

Personally I don't see the attraction of Gradkowski and never did. There have been better options available but the Steelers stuck with Grad. Hopefully he gets back soon I guess.
He was pretty solid in the first half, but went downhill in the second. Missed a lot more throws. I thought he played pretty well in the first half too. Moved the ball a few times against the first/second team defenses and got the Steelers in position to score 3 times, IIRC. Got victimized by the Goodwin fumble and the James drop at the goal line, but by all rights, should have had 13 points on the board at halftime, which is enough. Second half was uglier. I'm not sure how to make sense of it, he was playing against even lesser defensive players in the second half but also had lesser players around him at the skill positions and on the OL.

JoeSteeler said:
Garrett Hartley come on down
Yep:

The Steelers have replaced injured kicker Shaun Suisham with a player with plenty of experience in big moments.

The agent for Garrett Hartley announced Tuesday that the former New Orleans Saints kicker has agreed to terms with the Steelers. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported it's a 1-year deal.

Hartley kicked three clutch field goals in the Super Bowl five years ago, and is a perfect 8-for-8 in postseason games. Suisham will miss the season with a torn ACL.

Hartley was inconsistent in his final seasons with the Saints, eventually getting cut at the end of 2013. He has been mostly out of the league since, active for two games last season for the Browns.

Hartley has hit on 81.7 percent of his kicks as a pro, so it was only a matter of time before he got another chance. After spending most of his career in a dome, he'll kick in one of the toughest environments in the league in Pittsburgh.

Exactly! What I heard, and I may have stats wrong, but in practice (yeah I know, practice) he had 8 catches and 6 were TDs.

3C said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Landry Jones sub-50% vs the 2nd and 3rd string Jaguars.

He made some nice throws/reads. How many drops were there? Stats don't always tell the full picture.
Agreed. He still doesn't look ready for primetime but he was victimized by a lot of drops.

The backup QB situation makes me uneasy but if Ben goes down we are screwed anyway.

The first two picks in Tim's FFA draft were Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell. Can't say that I ever remember the first two picks coming from the same team, certainly not the Steelers.

I hope the offence lives up to the hype because I have a feeling the defense won't be doing them any favors. Anyways I thought it was interesting.
AB is unstoppable. My only concern there would be the improvement of Bryant and Wheaton. Both are looking really good. Bell, my concern would be missing 2 games and having a very capable Deangelo there to take a little of the load. Even Archer is running well and could take a few snaps. The O is loaded though, gonna be a really good year on that side of the ball. Defense...I definitely have my concerns. Jury definitely out on Shamarko. Saw Mitchell grabbing at his hamstring during practice (hopefully it's nothing). Am encouraged by CB play (Boykins, Blake, Gay, Fogg to a lesser extent). Darby could be a nice find at safety. Shazier is all over the place making plays.

The first two picks in Tim's FFA draft were Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell. Can't say that I ever remember the first two picks coming from the same team, certainly not the Steelers.

I hope the offence lives up to the hype because I have a feeling the defense won't be doing them any favors. Anyways I thought it was interesting.
AB is unstoppable. My only concern there would be the improvement of Bryant and Wheaton. Both are looking really good. Bell, my concern would be missing 2 games and having a very capable Deangelo there to take a little of the load. Even Archer is running well and could take a few snaps. The O is loaded though, gonna be a really good year on that side of the ball. Defense...I definitely have my concerns. Jury definitely out on Shamarko. Saw Mitchell grabbing at his hamstring during practice (hopefully it's nothing). Am encouraged by CB play (Boykins, Blake, Gay, Fogg to a lesser extent). Darby could be a nice find at safety. Shazier is all over the place making plays.
Shmarko is a china doll. The guy can't seem to stay healthy for more than a 2 week stretch.

Tajh Boyd has been cut. I guess he must really look awful in practice because it is definitely not based on preseason activity. So if you are bothered that Landry Jones has played about 90% of the preseason then get prepared for 95%

Users who are viewing this thread