What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦ Official 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread &#10 (3 Viewers)

From a talent standpoint, I like him only marginally better than Gradkowski, and even less so when it comes to the scheme we run.

So considering the very marginal upgrade plus the serious character issues in his past, I would much prefer they find someone else.

I'm not changing my team if they sign him. That's crazy. But oftentimes I am proud of what our front office does (or doesn't do) when others are willing to sacrifice principal for more immediate gratification. Signing him, to me, would mean we've regressed to the mean just a bit.

any other FA QBs out there?

Would love if they could pull off a trade for Mettenberger or Glennon
Either one of those guys would be great to have on the roster. Only problem is that it's so close to the season now, I'd have rather they swung a deal for one of those guys back in June. If Roethlisberger gets hurt week 1 and either of them has to step in only with only 3-4 weeks to learn the offense, it could be U-G-L-Y. Don't know if either would be an appreciable short-term upgrade over Landry, but if they had time to learn the offense first? No brainer.

From a talent standpoint, I like him only marginally better than Gradkowski, and even less so when it comes to the scheme we run.

So considering the very marginal upgrade plus the serious character issues in his past, I would much prefer they find someone else.

I'm not changing my team if they sign him. That's crazy. But oftentimes I am proud of what our front office does (or doesn't do) when others are willing to sacrifice principal for more immediate gratification. Signing him, to me, would mean we've regressed to the mean just a bit.
I agree with IB.

This is all Tomlin. He tried to get Vick here in 2009 when he was released from prison.

Just from a football stand point this makes no sense and he is 35 now.

From the charges Vick was convicted of --

"A report by a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) investigator provided more details on the April 2007 killings, saying that the men hung approximately three dogs “by placing a nylon cord over a 2 X 4 that was nailed to two trees located next to the big shed. They also drowned approximately three dogs by putting the dogs’ heads in a five gallon bucket of water.” They killed one dog by “slamming it to the ground several times before it died, breaking the dog’s back or neck.”

“In or about April 2007, PEACE, PHILLIPS, and VICK executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in ‘testing’ sessions … by various methods, including hanging, drowning, and slamming at least one dog’s body to the ground.” (Federal indictment PDF)

According to a witness, the men fought their trained pit bulls with pet dogs, and they “thought it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to Bad New Kennels injure or kill the other dogs.”

People can change and it sounds like he has.

Done deal.

Interesting point, if he has to start in the season (please lord, no), it would be Gilbert protecting his blind side. That could be bad.

People can change and it sounds like he has.

Done deal.

Interesting point, if he has to start in the season (please lord, no), it would be Gilbert protecting his blind side. That could be bad.
Jumped the gun. They're still "going through the process" per Tomlin.

So I'm watching ESPN earlier and they were listing their top 5 elite qb's over 30 years of age. Guess where Big Ben placed?

he didn't, wasn't in their top 5 :loco:

I'm very good with the Vick signing. He is a guy who can win you a game or two.

He may crap the bed like most backups do, but he can certainly win a few as well.

Landry may be done upon Grads return.

I'm very good with the Vick signing. He is a guy who can win you a game or two.

He may crap the bed like most backups do, but he can certainly win a few as well.

Landry may be done upon Grads return.
Depending on what they think about Jones it might be more likely they cut Gradkowski. Cutting Jones only saves $550k while cutting Gradkowski saves $1.55M and would only deposit an additional $180k of dead money on next year's cap.

Grads to IR, Jones not going anywhere.

ETA: and he's a UFA next year. Could be the last we see of him if Jones continues to progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grads to IR, Jones not going anywhere.

ETA: and he's a UFA next year. Could be the last we see of him if Jones continues to progress.
If he needs shoulder surgery, sure. I'm not sure they can IR him if he's only supposed to be out 3-4 weeks from today. I don't know exactly how that works.

Kind of a costly game Sunday. Pouncey out for the foreseeable future, probably IR/designated at least. Gradkowski done and lightning rod brought it. Tuitt out rest of preseason.

Kind of a costly game Sunday. Pouncey out for the foreseeable future, probably IR/designated at least. Gradkowski done and lightning rod brought it. Tuitt out rest of preseason.
I think Tuitt will be fine for week 1, though. Really all he'll miss is probably the first half of this next game, he wasn't likely to be playing after that anyway.

It's been a tough camp/pre-season losing Golson, Suisham and Gradkowski for the season, Pouncey for probably half the season, Tuitt for maybe a couple of weeks.

I hope the injury bug has had its fill of Steelers for a while

I think Vick and Gradkowski is a push. But if he is hurt then I would much rather have him as our 2nd stringer than Landry Jones. The reality is that if Ben does get seriously hurt (missing more than 3 games) then it doesn't really matter who our backup in the season. Vick is a perfectly acceptable 1 game filler.

Don't care about the dog fighting. He has done tons to warn people about why you shouldn't do it and working with Humane Society I think. Now someone needs to put a restraining order on his piece of garbage brother Marcus. That guy has been, still is, and will always be a mess

This is Vick's 3rd team since going to jail. He served his time and has done even more since then than most people do once released. He's actually contrite.

People need to get over it. There are players on the team who did a lot worse, didn't apologize, and paid little to no price for their actions.

I'm not as big a fan of the nfl these days (quit all my fantasy teams and only loosely following off-season and steelers) because of greed, goodell, and a lot of these criminal issues. Vick, however, is one of the few who actually took his punishment, apologized for his actions, and by all accounts is a better person and teammate than he was before. The holier than thou and caring about dogs more than women, children, and public safety stinks of something worse.

Godsbrother said:
3C said:
It's been a tough camp/pre-season losing Golson, Suisham and Gradkowski for the season, Pouncey for probably half the season, Tuitt for maybe a couple of weeks.

I hope the injury bug has had its fill of Steelers for a while
Amen.

These first 2 to 4 games are going to be a struggle. Hell it wasn't for Deflate Gate we could get embarrassed on Week 1 losing Bell and Bryant

So, to sum this up.

Bell out the first 2 games.

Pounce out for early part of the season, but unknown how long yet. If you don't know how important Pouncy is to this team, read this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/08/26/pouncey-injury-makes-leveon-bell-antonio-brown-and-big-ben-big-fantasy-risks/?wprss=rss_sports

Now Bryant missing 4 first games.

Dare I say, stay away from this offense until mid- Oct?
If Bryant is appealing it may not be the first 4 games -- I am not sure how long it could be delayed though.

I almost posted this after Pouncey got hurt but decided not to...I have had a bad feeling about this season for the last couple of months. Can't explain it, just a feeling I can't shake and now it seems to be coming to life.

Why's he appealing or under what grounds? Was that info released yet or no?
I don't think we know if it was recreational or performance-enhancing at this point yet. Bryant did put on some weight in the offseason which could be attributed to HGH or having the munchies.

Why's he appealing or under what grounds? Was that info released yet or no?
I don't think we know if it was recreational or performance-enhancing at this point yet. Bryant did put on some weight in the offseason which could be attributed to HGH or having the munchies.
Ya once I saw the news I instantly thought about him bulking up this offseason. Makes sense now. I read somewhere in the shark pool a thread about when fantasy football clashes with your favorite team which way do you lean? Even though I own Martavis it definitely hurts more as a Steelers fan then a fantasy owner.

Then you read comments like how Ben was hyping up Wheaton this offseason almost as some suggest that Ben knows Martavis was juicing in the offseason. ( if he did I doubt that's why he hyped up Wheaton but what do I know )

So you see what happened to Bell and the effect it is having on the team, you're (apparently) in the "program" for previously getting caught, yet you continue to break the rules. :wall: I think they should drop recreational testing, or at least the punishment phase (rehab/counseling instead), but the rules are the rules and you have to abide by them. Not saying this is why they drafted Coates (needed a 4th/depth amongst other things) but certainly is looking like an even better move now.

IF this is the case that he was caught once & knew he would get suspended if caught again, the he is a @#@#@ knucklehead. I really don't want complete efing morons on the team and they will need to look long & hard at drafting a WR next year again. Unless Coates can figure things out.

I'm hoping they find room on the roster for Tyler Murphy, but with Bryant being out for 4, Hey-Bey is probably more ready to step in and they won't have room to keep him.

I'm hoping they find room on the roster for Tyler Murphy, but with Bryant being out for 4, Hey-Bey is probably more ready to step in and they won't have room to keep him.
UGH! Please no, how is hey-bey still on an NFL roster. I would gladly take Tyler murphy over him.

Bryant will start on the reserve/suspended list. They'll have AB, Wheaton, DHB, Coates on the 53 for sure and then probably Murphy or Phillips. After week 4, Bryant will be added to the 53 and then if they carry 5 wide outs, that 5th guy (probably Murphy) will probably be put on the practice squad.

Bryant will start on the reserve/suspended list. They'll have AB, Wheaton, DHB, Coates on the 53 for sure and then probably Murphy or Phillips. After week 4, Bryant will be added to the 53 and then if they carry 5 wide outs, that 5th guy (probably Murphy) will probably be put on the practice squad.
:goodposting:

+Murphy>Phillips

++DHB isn't horrible, but still has the occasional WTF drops (saw 1 or 2 in the short time I was at practice).

+++Had a dream about Bud last night. :oldunsure: Don't remember the particulars (I seldom do) but he became something along the lines of "steal of the draft" status. #markitdown

Could be. Normally I'd say they can outscore people but when you have 4 Pro Bowlers on your offense and 2 of them are missing games, along with your best big play threat, it doesn't bode well. Especially with the toughest schedule in the league.

Steelers may have to score 35 to 40 every week to have a chance. When you are getting carved up by ej "effing" Manuel you have big problems.

Users who are viewing this thread