What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦ Official 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread &#10 (1 Viewer)

What we all assumed would happen has happened. Butler new DC.
I think Lebeau stepped aside for Butler.
I think that's at least semi-plausible. Could see a scenario where LeBeau/Tomlin had their exit interview and it went something along the lines of:

MT: "Honestly, I want you to keep coaching here for as long as you'd like. Here's the thing though....Keith's contract is up again. We've blocked him from interviewing for three DC positions now and I don't know if we can ask him to do it a fourth time in good conscience. Would you take a step back and let him starting running things? Maybe you can stay on in a "consultant" role?"

DL: "I'm not ready to totally give up the reins yet and think I have a couple more years in me, but I can understand where you're coming from and I don't want to stand in Keith's way any longer either. Maybe it's best if I just move on? Most of my guys are gone now, but if I hung around in a lesser capacity perhaps the players don't give Keith the total level of respect and buy-in that he'll deserve/need."

Of course, I can just as easily see a scenario where Rooney simply stated to Tomlin/Colbert "I want you to promote Keith to DC. If **** would like to stay in Pittsburgh, it's going to have to be in a different capacity. If he'd rather not do that, I'll accept his resignation if he doesn't want to retire yet. (unspoken, but implied, "I'll fire him if he doesn't resign/retire").

Last edited by a moderator:
What we all assumed would happen has happened. Butler new DC.
I am fine with this. I think the guy is very deserving and while I do not expect wholesale changes I am sure he will put his own mark on the defense which could be a good thing.

I am fine with this. I think the guy is very deserving and while I do not expect wholesale changes I am sure he will put his own mark on the defense which could be a good thing.
I generally agree, and I'm hoping his stamp(whatever it is) is more akin to Horton than he is to LeBeau, honestly.

Ray has absolutely used LeBeau's "Fire Zone" as the basis for his brand of the 3-4 in his stops post-Pittsburgh, but it's hyper-aggressive by comparison.

Was thinking about that this morning, the way BST and 5-ish laid it out there. They probably felt Butler would be offered a DC job somewhere and they couldn't ask him to say no again. Also agree with GB that while Butler is a LeBeau/3-4 disciple he'll add his own wrinkles just as Ray Horton has.

Sure would be nice if he's Cam Wake. I won't get my hopes that high but they could really use a high end pass rusher.

i don't see why ike taylor couldn't play safety. he has the size, the smarts, the experience. i'd say he is an immediate upgrade over mike mitchell.

pecorino said:
i don't see why ike taylor couldn't play safety. he has the size, the smarts, the experience. i'd say he is an immediate upgrade over mike mitchell.
because he can't catch a ball to save his life?

pecorino said:
because he can't catch a ball to save his life?
This is the correct answer.

Think of it like this. What if a team were to say "We have a DB who is the antithesis of a takeaway threat? Let's put him at Free Safety!" How terrible of an idea does that sound like?

Cuz that's what putting Ike at FS would amount to.

Taylor is done. He couldn't cover the worst of WR's and was deactivated for the Ravens game. His skills have eroded quickly. No point to try him at safety. Would rather try a Shamarko/Mitchell combo first.

Next season, it will be incumbent on the front office to find a reliable backup at RB given the injury to Bell and how the season ended. Someone like, say, Blount of NE. Seriously, what a revolting and ironic development. The dude comes to Pgh, makes a jerk of himself, goes back to the Pats, and becomes Jim Brown. Guess our team & its decision-makers did the guy a huge favor.

Next season, it will be incumbent on the front office to find a reliable backup at RB given the injury to Bell and how the season ended. Someone like, say, Blount of NE. Seriously, what a revolting and ironic development. The dude comes to Pgh, makes a jerk of himself, goes back to the Pats, and becomes Jim Brown. Guess our team & its decision-makers did the guy a huge favor.
i don't blame the team, reports were he was a ####. If there is karma he'll choke the sb away

They are really scouring all corners of the globe to find someone who may be able to contribute at these glaring need positions before the draft.

Signed former UVA DT/DE Matt Conrath to a futures contract too. Final year (I think) at UVA they switched him to tackle in a 4-3 after he'd previously been an end in a 3-4. Better suited as a 3-4 DE. Not expecting much but could be a decent backup.

Watching the Senior Bowl. David Johnson (RB/poor mans Bell) and Steven Nelson (CB) would be 2 mid round picks that would be really nice.

i've never gone to an induction ceremony, and been waiting on the Bus. Will be there for this one. See yinz in Canton this summer!

I love the Bus. I don't think he's a hall of famer. It's almost like the hall has become for players who were good and had longevity within a given era, rather than it being reserved for the best of the best at your position no matter the era.

I love the Bus. I don't think he's a hall of famer. It's almost like the hall has become for players who were good and had longevity within a given era, rather than it being reserved for the best of the best at your position no matter the era.
Bettis has pretty much all of the stats and honors a player can have and was money grinding out the clock in the 2nd half of a game. He is one of the best big backs to ever play the game.

He deserves to be there IMO.

Something I picked up on in the official Bills thread. Take a look at the Patriot's home schedule next year:

Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh

I think there is a pretty good chance the Steelers open up the season with a road trip to New England on Thursday Sept. 10th.

Something I picked up on in the official Bills thread. Take a look at the Patriot's home schedule next year:

Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh

I think there is a pretty good chance the Steelers open up the season with a road trip to New England on Thursday Sept. 10th.
That would suck

That would suck
Yeah I think you are correct on that call. I don't mind too much, would be sweet way to kick of season if they beat them.

2008 Redskins at Giants is the only time divisional opponents played in that opening game. So by that precedent, it's not likely to be Bills/Dolphins/Jets. Highly doubt it'll be the Jags or Titans. That leaves Eagles, Redskins and Steelers. So, doesn't look good.

That would suck
What if Brady decides to go out on top, calls it quits?

Wouldn't think so but he will be 38 by then I think.

That would suck
Yeah I think you are correct on that call. I don't mind too much, would be sweet way to kick of season if they beat them.
Since the inception of the Thursday night opening game, how often has the home team lost? I don't recall it happening. I would rather play them at pretty much any other time in the season.

That would suck
What if Brady decides to go out on top, calls it quits?Wouldn't think so but he will be 38 by then I think.
No possible way.

That would suck
What if Brady decides to go out on top, calls it quits?Wouldn't think so but he will be 38 by then I think.
No possible way.
https://onewanderingsoul.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/anything-is-possible.gif?w=480&h=360

Page 4 bump. So, we've got 5 pre-season games this year. Good? Bad? Who gives a wet fart?

I'll be paying close attention to the pass rushers and defensive backs at the combine next weekend.

Not that much has changed but post combine I'm figuring Waynes, Shelton, Collins, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Beasley, and Dupree (all the players we want/need) are all gone. Who's the pick? Malcom Brown, Jordan Phillips? I don't want the other CB's (Peters, Williams) in the first. Do they reach (a little) for Eli Harold (they like him)? Or maybe Owa (not spelling his name out, not that I can)?

Not that much has changed but post combine I'm figuring Waynes, Shelton, Collins, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Beasley, and Dupree (all the players we want/need) are all gone. Who's the pick? Malcom Brown, Jordan Phillips? I don't want the other CB's (Peters, Williams) in the first. Do they reach (a little) for Eli Harold (they like him)? Or maybe Owa (not spelling his name out, not that I can)?
Doing the math...you listed 8 players ( Waynes, Shelton, Collins, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Beasley, and Dupree (all the players we want/need) are all gone.). Steelers pick 22.

So who else will/should go before 22...

QB (Winston/Mariotta)

RB (none)

WR (Cooper/White/Parker)

TE (none)

OL (Scheriff/Peat)

DL (Williams/Ray/Shelton)

LB (Fowler/Gregory/Beasley/Dawson/Dupree)

CB (Waynes/Collins)

S (Collins maybe?)

That's 18.

And I hope there will be more o-line and d-line go, they always do. Another WR might get into the top 20. So, they need those 7 offensive guys listed to go and 3 guys not listed to get one of the defensive prospects. And they may be high on a defensive guy not listed. Right now, I think they are in ok shape.

Doing the math...you listed 8 players ( Waynes, Shelton, Collins, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Beasley, and Dupree (all the players we want/need) are all gone.). Steelers pick 22.

QB (Winston/Mariotta)

RB (none)

WR (Cooper/White/Parker)

TE (none)

OL (Scheriff/Peat)

CB (Waynes/Collins)

S (Collins maybe?)

That's 18.

And I hope there will be more o-line and d-line go, they always do. Another WR might get into the top 20. So, they need those 7 offensive guys listed to go and 3 guys not listed to get one of the defensive prospects. And they may be high on a defensive guy not listed. Right now, I think they are in ok shape.
I'm hoping that Dupree pulling out of drills beyond the 40 and vertical jump keep his stock down. The Kentucky pro day isn't as likely to be well-represented as say Georgia or LSU. All I've heard about since the combine is how outstanding Beasley's numbers were and virtually nothing about Dupree - meanwhile, Dupree out-jumped him and ran almost an identical 40 time (4.53 to 4.56 - 10 yard split 1.59 to 1.60) while weighing in 25 pounds heavier AND dealing with a groin injury. I believe Dupree has a really good chance to be a better player than Beasley and would likely pick him for the Steelers if both were available.

Milwauke Journal Sentinal article doing mostly what I did above: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/2015-nfl-draft-outlook-b99448618z1-293321531.html

From there:

Alvin "Bud" Dupree, DE-OLB, Kentucky: 6-3½, 269. Started 36 of 45 games at both end and linebacker. "Very good athlete," one scout said. "Has played both up and down. As he's gotten better the defense has gotten better. Pass rusher. Great kid. He can be a physical player." Finished with 21½ sacks. "Athletic, but he's got no instincts," another scout said. "I just don't think he's real smart." Scored 13 on the Wonderlic. Extremely soft-spoken.

Eli Harold*, OLB-DE, Virginia: 6-3, 247. Third-year junior, two-year starter. "Good athlete, not elite," one scout said. "Just a solid, productive football player. He'll get six, seven, eight sacks a year. Probably never reach double digits, but you'll like him because he plays the run well and rushes the passer well." Finished with 17½ sacks.

Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DE, UCLA: 6-3, 267. Fifth-year senior who sat out all 2013 after undergoing hip surgery. "Kid's got instincts and agility and strong hands," one scout said. "Question is, how much bigger is he going to get? He wins with power." His father, Peter, is serving three life sentences for a triple homicide shooting at Appalachian School of Law (Va.) in 2002. "Really athletic," another scout said. "Tough. Just doesn't have great instincts." Huge hands (11).

Always interesting when there are quotes in the same paragraphs that directly contradict each other; re: instincts of Odighizuwa.

Ugh. If Dupree is an absolute moron, then I'm not nearly as high on him. From a physical standpoint, he's the perfect hybrid 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE for what I imagine this defense is going to look like under Butler.

As long as Dupree can understand "Go that way at 100 MPH and kill that guy! *points at QB*" then he's plenty smart enough. I mean, it's not like James Harrison is a neurosurgeon.

Hoping reports like that keep Dupree's value depressed. Love him for the Steelers' scheme/current needs.

As long as Dupree can understand "Go that way at 100 MPH and kill that guy! *points at QB*" then he's plenty smart enough. I mean, it's not like James Harrison is a neurosurgeon.

Hoping reports like that keep Dupree's value depressed. Love him for the Steelers' scheme/current needs.
Me too. My only concern is that if he's going to play in both fronts in a defense that likely will keep a lot of LeBeau's exotic blitzes and pre-snap shifts, will it take him 2-3 years to even be competent enough to play on Sundays? They kind of need him to start producing next year, especially if Harrison goes to Tennessee and someone pays Worilds more than we're willing to match.

C & C said:
3C said:

QB (Winston/Mariotta)

RB (none)

WR (Cooper/White/Parker)

TE (none)

OL (Scheriff/Peat)

CB (Waynes/Collins)

S (Collins maybe?)

That's 18.

Collins the S, definitely. Collins the CB, not so sure. Not seeing other OL really worth a top 20 but there could be 1 or 2. DL outside of Shelton/Williams (have Ray as an OLB) doesn't have top 20. Could see Gordon going top 20. It's close for someone like Dupree. Not that that matters, the question was if all those guys are gone who would you want? A DT like Brown, a CB like Peters?

ETA: add Shaq Richardson in there as gone. Trying to get a sense of what would be a preference if those guys are not available. I'm not enamored with the 2 DT that would be available and depending on who you ask CB out side Waynes is late 1st early 2nd at best.

Use this as a guide (though you may disagree) for who is available at 22. They did move Owa up quite a bit and that probably would be a good pick. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/all

Users who are viewing this thread