What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1 Page PRINTABLE NFL Depth Chart - Automated Update (2 Viewers)

The problem here is that the FBG depth chart info may not be up to date. Ex: Curtis martin as the #1 RB??

Great job, though I get that 1004 run time error as well

ON EDIT: RE the 1004 Ruin time Error:

The firewall must be disabled for the page to link to the internet and get updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

The firewall must be disabled for the page to link to the internet and get updated.

Im sorry but can you please tell me how to disable a firewall?

Nice..............I usually just update my own depth chart on Excel in the preseason and then make last minute changes the day of the draft (having to type it up helps me remember everything better than just glancing at a page from some website)I'm an advanced Excel user myself, but I gotta say that I'm not THIS advanced. Curious how you did this? (is it simply writing the 2 macros I saw or more complicated than that?)How did you learn to do this auto update from a website? (course?)And how long did it take you? (hrs?)I'm always trying to expand my Excel skilz and updating them doing Fantasy Football stuff is a HECK of lot more interesting than some of my work schedules.
Actually, getting the update from the web site is not really that difficult. All you do is do to Data->Import External Data ->New Web Query -> Find the Web Site you want to use -> Click the black arrow in the yellow box around the table you want to import -> Tell Excel where to put it and you're doneIn the data section, there is also a refresh data choice once you import the table.The hard part is getting the formatting correct. Excel shoves all of the table into one column and then you have to use the Text to Columns feature to split it up with a comma being the separator. Of course, this does not do a perfect job and some clean up has to be done. This was the most manual part of the code. I had to tell Excel the exact cells that had the players that I wanted to include in the overall table. But since both names of each player plus their position is included in the first column, I had to make a clean-up sheet to only use the first initial and the last name so it would all fit on one page.As far as time that it took for this, I am not sure as I have just worked on it bit by bit in my free time. I would guess maybe 6 hours total, and most of that was doing one bit of code, checking it, and then duplicating it. This is my first attempt in writing VBA code and there was a lot of trial and error involved. I am no code writer, that is for sure.I'm glad this has worked for all and I am excited that others find it as useful as me. There have been a few that have had some thoughts on improvements and I am anxious to see them. In the mean time, I am going to work on getting the IDP players on a one pager too for those requests. This shouldn't take near as long to complete.

secretid said:
The trouble with using the Dominator, VBD, or any other cheat sheets is that they will all suggest not using them after the first few rounds.
True or false?
Depends on the size of the league. VBD says after the top 100, you need to look at team need. If you are in a 10 team league, that is round 10, or probably just over halfway through your draft. If you are in a league of 14, then this is round 7ish, and you are not halfway through the draft yet. Draft Dominator works longer than that, but the cheat sheet you can print from it is roughly the same."the first few rounds" is maybe a little excessive, but then again, I wanted to generate at least some interest in my little program...

:thumbup:

Fantastic work! I was going to put together a printable depth chart this weekend, and you just saved me a TON of time. Sweet!!

I to am getting the " 1004 Run time Error" and i have the firewall disabled. you i need to reboot after disabling the wall? or maybe disconnect from the net and reconect?

I to am getting the " 1004 Run time Error" and i have the firewall disabled. you i need to reboot after disabling the wall? or maybe disconnect from the net and reconect?
hmmmm, don;t know the answer to that. Are your sure you are disabling the firewll, and not just the anti-virus?

Im sorry but can you please tell me how to disable a firewall?

assuming you are behind one, you need to get into the security center (MCaffe, Norton, etc) and go though the settings to disable it. IF that does not work, then i do not know how to help and the problem must be elsewhere... Sorry.

I am working on the IDP printable sheet, but since i am not in any IDP leagues, I am not sure how to best split up the depth chart. Could someone give me a hand here?

I have room for 12 columns and I need a split between DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, and S. Right now I have the #1 and #2 guys at each of the 6 positions, but if you would rather a different split, please let me know. I am not going to work any more on it until I get a feel for what is helpful because I will have to do a lot of rework if I change it later.

TIA

I am working on the IDP printable sheet, but since i am not in any IDP leagues, I am not sure how to best split up the depth chart. Could someone give me a hand here?I have room for 12 columns and I need a split between DT, DE, MLB, OLB, CB, and S. Right now I have the #1 and #2 guys at each of the 6 positions, but if you would rather a different split, please let me know. I am not going to work any more on it until I get a feel for what is helpful because I will have to do a lot of rework if I change it later.TIA
I know for my IDP league that is more then enough. In fact I dont even need the split between OLB and MLB but your hard work is noted. You must have some real down time at work. I love it Thanks again for this work

:thumbup: Tremendous contribution Arbitrator

Not do dismiss such a nice effort. I have for years used the Depth Charts from Jack Pullman at All Pro Publishing. Com

Right now they are also on one page, with the advantage of being columnar, but during the year he updates them with yardage and TDs

DETROIT

*** QB ***

Jon Kitna

Josh McCown

Dan Orlovsky

*** RB ***

Kevin Jones

Brian Calhoun

Arlen Harris

Shawn Bryson

Artose Pinner

*** WR ***

Roy Williams

Corey Bradford

Glenn Martinez

Mike Furrey

Charles Rogers

Mike Williams

*** TE ***

Marcus Pollard

Casey FitzSimmns

Dan Campbell

*** K ***

Jason Hanson

(copied with permission from www.AllProPublishing.com)

IDP Program crashed and burned. I have little hope that I will get it re-written in time to be of any use, mainly because I am peeved that I didn't back it up properly and don't have the energy to try again so soon.

Sorry guys, I will try to include it next year in the first version....

Is it possible for someone to upload a new copy of these depth charts. My excel wont allow it to work. if you could that would be awesome

Is it possible for someone to upload a new copy of these depth charts. My excel wont allow it to work. if you could that would be awesome
Downloaded fine. I turned off my windows firewall, but when I try to update it, I get this error:"runtime error '1004' Application-defined or object-defined error"Anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what I need to change?

Hi, It seems very nice and I would like to use it for my draft as well but I got the 1004 error. I will try later.

One of the coolest free things yet! The only change I made was to change the cell height to about 20 and expand my margins top and bottom. It is a little easier to read that way. Nice job!

Is this your own version? If so thanks, I keep getting the error message when I run the other one.

I hope the staff see this.

Would be very helpful if they added a one page printer friendly version to take to the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
The program works like this:

1. Macros must be enabled

2. The sheet will open to the ‘2006 Printable’ tab

3. Press the update button for the Macro to go to the internet and get the latest depth chart from Footballguys (Internet connection required)

4. Click Enter when it asks to replace the cell contents

5. Press the “Make Data Printable” button to update the 1 page sheet

6. Click enter when it asks to replace cell contents (there are several times this is asked at this point)

7. The 1-page sheet is updated and ready to print

8. Have a great season, guy.
Sweet little workbook. FYI, you can temporarily turn off the Excel warnings with the following command at the start of each macro:Application.DisplayAlerts = False

Then turn them back on (VERY important) at the end of the macro:

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

This would turn off the need to press Enter.

With all the screen scrolling in the macro (which, incidentally, could be removed), you could also reduce vertigo by turning off screen updating (Application.ScreenUpdating = False) at the start and setting this value back to True at the end.

Downloaded fine. I turned off my windows firewall, but when I try to update it, I get this error:"runtime error '1004' Application-defined or object-defined error"Anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or what I need to change?
At home I would get the 1004 error, and it appears like it was in the "text to columns" phase of the macro, as the depth charts were loaded correctly. At work I have no problems running this, so I just have to remember to run this friday before heading home.Thanks :thumbup:

I am also getting the error. I tried running the other macro, the cleanup data and make printable, and got the same error, so it does not rlate to web access or firewall issues. I am running excel2000.

Great tool, thanks! Bumping for guys that may not have seen it yet. Be sure to follow the directions to update the depth chart (so Duckett and Stallworth end up on the right teams).

Users who are viewing this thread