What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

12 Team PPR - #2 Pick - RB or WR (1 Viewer)

Coachhow

Footballguy
12 Team PPR - Must play 1QB/2 RB/ 2WR / 1TE / 2 Flex; I pick #2, Assuming CMC or Jefferson goes #1, so who do I take at #2?

I’m debating this now. First pick will be either Jefferson or CMC (guy at 1 loves CMC). My initial thought was to go either Jefferson or Chase, whomever is left over. But it is tempting to lock in CMC or Ekeler in this format (1/2 PPR).

The key for me is the round 2 pick in a 12 teamer. For receivers I like Waddle or Olave there. I don’t want to take Tee Higgins (especially if I get Chase). My feeling is there are a handful of elite receivers then a huge tier of guys around 1,000 yards and 6-7 TD’s. A ton. And Higgins is one of those. And RB’s there have a ton of questions too. Jacobs, JT, Rhamondre, etc. I hope something falls to me that I actually like. For my 3rd pick I’m looking to grab an elite QB (6 point TD league). Allen or Hurts. The first 8 or 9 QBs will be gone before my round 4 pick.

You need to decide what the plan is at 24/25, that matters.
If you are going WR/WR or WR/QB, WR/TE, I would likely grab the RB

-However...if you also know who you want likely at 48/49

I prefer RB-WR-QB, WR-RB, The 6th-7th-8th-9th Rds...James Cook-RB, Kirk-WR, Dotson-WR, Khalil Herbert-RB

CMC-Waddle-Hurts-Jeudy-Kamara-Cook-Kirk-Dotson-Herbert and you need a TE but there would be lots of options most weeks in those Flex spots

Good Luck, happy hunting

If you don't like CMC now, you better learn to like him because that's who you're drafting at 1.02. The correct 1.01 is Justin Jefferson, only a dummy could screw that up. I wouldn't even put it in your head that he will possibly be there for you.

If somehow Justin Jefferson is available, praise the lord because you have the luxury of drafting next to a dunce.

This is the big dilemma - with the 2spot
1. Take RB - CMC - then go probably WR/WR in rounds 2&3
2. Take top WR - Chase - assuming JJeff is gone - then go RB/WR;WR/WR/ or some other mix in 2 & 3 rounds

I'd be curious to find out everyone's thoughts on the RB vs. WR debate if you only have to start 1RB, 1WR, 1 TE but 4 flex (RB/WR/TE)
Does this heavily sway the decision back to WR?

I gotta say, I don't really get the push for WRs at the top this year. I feel like every few years, after a down year at RB, the conventional wisdom becomes that you have to take WRs early (last time was with Antonio Brown back in around '16). But for as long as I've been playing fantasy, RBs have generally been better picks in the first round, and I don't see anything structurally that has changed to alter that calculation. Yes, it's become a more pass-happy league over the past decade, but even still, most years during that time it's still been a better value to start with a RB because of the scarcity at the position. So what's changed from last year other than Taylor flaming out at No. 1 (and CMC the two years before that)?

All of which is to say that I personally have CMC as my No. 1, and in the OP's situation there's no way I don't take him if he falls to me at 2. The only question is what to do if CMC goes first; could I really take Ekeler over Jefferson? I agree it's much tougher to pull the trigger on that one, but still, if I'm looking at the first two rounds, Ekeler + Waddle or Olave seems slightly better to me than Jefferson + Rhamondre or Mixon (if I could be sure Pollard would fall to me there, that might change my calculation).

I get that this is a minority opinion. I just feel like I've seen this movie before

It’s really valid, most of the mock drafts I’ve done using your method has actually garnered a better team on paper!!

For those who have drafted, can you post your first 4 or 5 rounds, or complete teams? Over a few cocktails Friday night the guy drafting one confided "if you want Jefferson he's going to be there". He said it's between CMC and Ekeler for him. He's a known CMC lover so I'm 99% sure it's him.

So it's between Jefferson and Ekeler to me. There is no doubt I'll like the WRs available in round 2 a lot more than RBs. Also there's a very good chance that 1 of the top 3 QBs fall in that 2/3 turn. It's a long way back to my 4th pick and the next 2 tiers of QBs will be gone.

This is all about RB strategy to me. I could go Ekeler/Waddle/J Allen, Ekeler/Waddle/Olave (and wait on a QB), or go zero RB and go Jefferson/Waddle/ J Allen and get Dobbins/Mattison types at the 4/5 turn and other upside RBs I like later. I'm really torn between Ekeler and Jefferson. Hero RB or wait until rounds 4/5 to get my first.

Last year in our league Ekeler scored 382 points and CMC 368. Jacobs was next with 338 points in a career year most don't see repeated. Henry/Barkley/Chubb were next at around 300 points, then a 50 point drop to Rhamondre next. Here's the kicker. That was WITHOUT PPR scoring. This year we switched to 1/2 point PPR. When you factor that in CMC and Ekeler further separate themselves into a big 2 with all of their receptions. I know Ekeler has TD regression possibilities, but he's hard to pass on. I put zero stock that he's turning 28. He was a part time player just 3 years ago and doesn't have tremendous mileage on him. There are reasons to believe he could be even better this year. It's not like Moore didn't use his RBs in the red zone and the o line should be much better.

With WR's Jefferson was first with 373 points, Hill had 342, Davante 340. Diggs, Lamb and AJ were the next ones at around 300. Then there is a tier of about 15 guys with 230+. Those are all 1100 yard, 8 TD types.

Still analyzing where I get my biggest separation with those first 3 picks.

12 team league and we also just converted to .5 ppr this year. Typically this league is rb heavy as in the last 4-5 years it wasn’t surprising to see 16-18 of the first 24 be a rb. That being said I went with the following as I was insure if everyone would pivot around the ppr scoring change:

Ekler
ceeDee
Travis Etienne
Christian Watson
Lamar Jac
Dalvin Cook
Godwin
Etc…

I like it overall but regret the etienne pick a touch (wanted a piece of the Jags offense I guess?). Honestly though I like watching most of the players I drafted and am excited to see how it all unfolds.

12 team league and we also just converted to .5 ppr this year. Typically this league is rb heavy as in the last 4-5 years it wasn’t surprising to see 16-18 of the first 24 be a rb. That being said I went with the following as I was insure if everyone would pivot around the ppr scoring change:

Ekler
ceeDee
Travis Etienne
Christian Watson
Lamar Jac
Dalvin Cook
Godwin
Etc…

I like it overall but regret the etienne pick a touch (wanted a piece of the Jags offense I guess?). Honestly though I like watching most of the players I drafted and am excited to see how it all unfolds.
I love etienne I the third. I was gunning for him and he went in the second in my draft.

Ekler
ceeDee
Travis Etienne
Christian Watson
Lamar Jac
Dalvin Cook
Godwin
Etc…

Like it. CeeDee fell to #23? Wow. Never seen him drop that far. Great get

Doesn't apply exactly to the scenario from the thread title, since it's a 14-team non-PPR, but what do people think of taking Chubb with the 1.02? As mentioned a few posts up, I prefer WRs to RBs in the first round, and IMO it's a close call between CMC and Chubb as the top non-PPR RB. I just took McCaffrey in a draft last night, so I'm thinking that, all else being equal, might as well diversify my portfolio by taking Chubb

In a 12 team .5ppr and .5ppfd I went:

CMC, Mahomes, DeVonta Smith, Waller, Christian Watson, Akers, Addison, Gibson, MT, Achane blah blah blah.

Users who are viewing this thread